The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Defenders

Old 01-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #26
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Future of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdude View Post
Well, I think were going to get second seasons of Jessica, Luke and the Fist first. If a third DD and a second Punisher is in the mix too, worry about this at the end of the year or beginning of the next.
I figure earliest we see this again might be summer 2019. Latest summer 2020. And probably more likely to the latter.

KevTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #27
Random490
Side-Kick

Netflix shows are here to stay: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-netflix-tv-future-disney/

Basically the current series will be allowed to run their course. No new show will be made unless it's a spin off. I wonder if that means there's a loop hole to introduce characters in the other shows like the Punisher did?

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #28
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

They do say something about putting them on platforms appropriate for that character. That gives me hope someone who fits the Netflix feel, like a Moon Knight, is possible.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #29
KevTravels
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
They do say something about putting them on platforms appropriate for that character. That gives me hope someone who fits the Netflix feel, like a Moon Knight, is possible.
I keep hearing fans say they want this, but will it ever be actually produced?

Old 01-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #30
KevTravels
Side-Kick

It really is telling that this wasn't as BIG a Hit as they had wanted it to be. Rather underwhelming.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 AM   #31
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
Netflix shows are here to stay: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-netflix-tv-future-disney/

Basically the current series will be allowed to run their course. No new show will be made unless it's a spin off. I wonder if that means there's a loop hole to introduce characters in the other shows like the Punisher did?
I'm not sure it says that about spinoffs. here's what the Bloomberg article says:

Quote:
The Marvel-Netflix relationship is in flux now that Disney is looking to produce new content for its own online video service launching in 2019. “We obviously want the Marvel Television series currently on Netflix to have a long and lauded run,” Dan Buckley, president of Marvel Entertainment, said in an email. New projects, he added, would seek out “networks and platforms that are the best fit for that content, including the Disney-branded streaming service.”
I assume if they wanted to make an Elektra series, it can only be on Netflix? Not sure.

Seems like any new shows will be on either the Disney streaming service of Hulu, which Disney will have controlling interest in. Or if it's Moon Knight, maybe they could put it on FX?

I think it sounds more like the shows that are currently on Netflix now will stay on Netflix past 2019 if they get more seasons.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:09 AM   #32
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I think if they wanted to do an Elektra series, it would have to be Netflix. Just makes sense given it would be a spin-off like Punisher was.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #33
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think if they wanted to do an Elektra series, it would have to be Netflix. Just makes sense given it would be a spin-off like Punisher was.
I'm sure Marvel has general say in whether or not new series are made but these guys are generally smart enough to know that a spin off show would preform better under the same platform as the original. I don't think there will be any tug of war over characters. So if they want to make an Elektra series I doubt Marvel/Disney would say no. But if they wanted to make, say, a Moon Knight series there's a lot more extra hoops to jump through and they may get a "no" from the higher ups. Or they may say "we have no plans for that character on any other platform so go for it" but I wouldn't hold my breathe over it.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #34
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random490 View Post
I'm sure Marvel has general say in whether or not new series are made but these guys are generally smart enough to know that a spin off show would preform better under the same platform as the original. I don't think there will be any tug of war over characters. So if they want to make an Elektra series I doubt Marvel/Disney would say no. But if they wanted to make, say, a Moon Knight series there's a lot more extra hoops to jump through and they may get a "no" from the higher ups. Or they may say "we have no plans for that character on any other platform so go for it" but I wouldn't hold my breathe over it.
I think my point is misunderstood a bit. Yes, Marvel has the choice to make an Elektra series, but being as though that would be a spin-off, I think Netflix (similar to Universal and the Hulk situation) would need to be presented first opportunity to distribute it. Moon Knight conversely can be aired anywhere, but given the maturity level, putting him on Netflix might be best for business as the Netflix Marvel has a reputation for that type of material.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:34 PM   #35
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

If there is another Defenders season, for the love of Odin, have Colleen be a member. She fights with a sword, she's an ex-member of the Hand, and she's more interesting than Danny. The show should explore her backstory. Either here or Iron Fist.

UltimatePyro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 PM   #36
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

She was basically a member last season.

- CM Punk
Old 02-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #37
Slick
Yup

More confirmation that the shows are staying on Netflix and Hulu.
Quote:
The R-rated stuff will go on Hulu. The plan now is to leave the various Marvel series where they are, which means Netflix will hang onto its superhero inventory.
https://deadline.com/2018/02/disney-...el-1202281846/
Found this on CBM.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #38
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I think the idea that the mature audiences programing would go on Hulu is big news (I'd like to see the original quotes) since that affects things like formatting. A Moon Knight show or a Blade show would be released on Hulu, likely once a week, rather than all at once with Netflix.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #39
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I think the idea that the mature audiences programing would go on Hulu is big news (I'd like to see the original quotes) since that affects things like formatting. A Moon Knight show or a Blade show would be released on Hulu, likely once a week, rather than all at once with Netflix.
It is possible Disney may change that formula.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #40
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Change Hulu's formula? I doubt it. They didn't for Runaways. It's in both Disney and Hulu's interest to keep everyone subscribed for each week's content. Only Netflix does things differently.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #41
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
What about FX? I mean under the acquisition, they own FX now too.

- CM Punk
Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #42
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Always possible. Is FX at Netflix-level violence now? I guess the question is the extent Marvel television wants to have new programs in areas other than their streaming platform.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #43
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

They've pretty much been there since The Shield IMO. Just in terms of what we typically see for MCU shows, no F-bombs and only partial nudity and nothing full on

- CM Punk
Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #44
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

According to Kristen Ritter, she doesn't expect there to be a Defenders second season:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen Ritter

“Well, I think Jessica was pretty well received. People were excited to see her again, so that made us happy because Jessica is the next up […] “Y’know, I had a great time doing The Defenders and honestly, it was such a good experience that I would even do it again. I don’t think we are doing it again. It was never intentioned to do it again, but, you know, if I was given another opportunity, I would.”

“My heart is with my show because of the subject matter and because of the great drama that we get to do and the personal issues that we explore. For me, that is more the type of content that I enjoy as a viewer and as a performer. My heart is in Jessica Jones, but I did have a great time doing The Defenders with the guys. We had a good time. It is what it is.”

Old 03-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #45
KevTravels
Side-Kick

They Hyped up the show and it was a letdown. Less than spectacular.

I wonder what she will say about the frosty reception this season has gotten from audiences.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #46
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

The Defenders isn't something that should be a series imo. It should be a series of movie specials if anything which is what Netflix should look into.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:04 AM   #47
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
According to Kristen Ritter, she doesn't expect there to be a Defenders second season:
As more time goes on, and filming begins for more shows (they’ve already started on Season 2 of The Punisher), it seems less likely that we might get a second season of Defenders. However, it'd be a complete surprise if a second Defenders season didn’t happen, because at the end of the day, Netflix is a business. The Defenders may not have been their most popular show, but it was still popular, and had a ton of people who would watch a second season. I wouldn't expect anyone to be sharing that kind of information yet (they would make an official announcement), and besides, the showrunners are more informed about long-term plans than the actors. I think a second season of The Defenders is a likely possibility; it just might not happen for a while.

dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #48
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
The Defenders isn't something that should be a series imo. It should be a series of movie specials if anything which is what Netflix should look into.
It is fine as a series, but you gotta have a lot more happen. It was only 8 episodes, and it felt like they stretched out a much shorter plot to make it run 8 episodes. They need a more epic story, more interesting villain, and a story that fits 8 episodes. Not them standing around doing nothing for 5 of 8 episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcreif View Post
As more time goes on, and filming begins for more shows (they’ve already started on Season 2 of The Punisher), it seems less likely that we might get a second season of Defenders. However, it'd be a complete surprise if a second Defenders season didn’t happen, because at the end of the day, Netflix is a business. The Defenders may not have been their most popular show, but it was still popular, and had a ton of people who would watch a second season. I wouldn't expect anyone to be sharing that kind of information yet (they would make an official announcement), and besides, the showrunners are more informed about long-term plans than the actors. I think a second season of The Defenders is a likely possibility; it just might not happen for a while.
It was reported to be the lowest viewed show they made, and no doubt it had the highest budget (at least per episode). I think if another attempt is to be made, a much more interesting story is needed and more care overall. But, given the lack of interest the show had, I am thinking it being 1 and done is very possible.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #49
Random490
Side-Kick

That's too bad to hear, I think the Defenders was the most fun out of all the Marvel Netflix series. I'm fine with the pacing of the first season, it made the most sense for the story, but with them having already met, had their ups and downs, and gotten to know each other means next time they can just hit the ground running. I would avoid building up too much to it, between Daredevil and Iron Fist I think a lot people got tired of the Hand. Maybe cut the episode amount, get a fun one off villain for them to face and just go crazy with it.

I really hope it's not done because it's a really fun idea that I want to see more of.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #50
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Well, who or what could be an antagonist with a force or power large enough that would require all of the street heroes to band together again?

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote