The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #26
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official UFC Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
Todd Grisham is Mike Goldberg's replacement!
No wonder Kole Goldberg is so ticked off.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #27
Longshot777
Side-Kick

I like Joe Rogan and he is very knowledgeable about MMA but when he was saying Ronda could beat male UFC fighters and now he didn't deny that Nunes can beat male UFC fighters in 135 lbs. I mean cmon!!! Nunes can definitely beat average guys who fights in bar fights BUT professional UFC male fighters???!!!! Cmon!!! Just to make it in the UFC even the lowest rank male fighter is a force to be reckoned with. The best female pro basketball is no match for the worst NBA player. The fastest women in track is only on par 'if that' with the fastest male High School runner.

Longshot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #28
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Who knows? It will never happen anyway. Like people bring that up a lot and they get so upset. I mean, so what? No Ronda wouldn't beat Mayweather Velasquez etc. But it hardly bothers me that much if people say they can.

Joe Rogan also says McGregor would smash Mayweather's face in. Doesn't mean you have to agree.

- CM Punk
Old 01-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #29
Slushy
Banned User

Quote:
I like Joe Rogan and he is very knowledgeable about MMA but when he was saying Ronda could beat male UFC fighters and now he didn't deny that Nunes can beat male UFC fighters in 135 lbs. I mean cmon!!! Nunes can definitely beat average guys who fights in bar fights BUT professional UFC male fighters???!!!! Cmon!!! Just to make it in the UFC even the lowest rank male fighter is a force to be reckoned with. The best female pro basketball is no match for the worst NBA player. The fastest women in track is only on par 'if that' with the fastest male High School runner.
How long before Nunes violates the wellness policy? lol

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #30
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Yeah but those 5-10 extra seconds could mean more risk to brain damage and dementia down the line.
I'm well aware of that, but those risks would only come if the fighter continued to receive hard shots that were landing clean which there is no guarantee off because while Ronda was hurt she still had enough about her to be able to stay standing albeit extremely jelly legged.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #31
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
Todd Grisham is Mike Goldberg's replacement!
Well that is terrible.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #32
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Well that is terrible.
This.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #33
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
This.
I honestly can't believe I am missing Goldberg.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #34
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
I honestly can't believe I am missing Goldberg.
It's pretty much worst case scenario currently, well no worst case probably would have been Michael Cole.

Hopefully Rogan snaps & chokes him out before he leaves.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #35
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
It's pretty much worst case scenario currently, well no worst case probably would have been Michael Cole.

Hopefully Rogan snaps & chokes him out before he leaves.
That would be a horror. Though if Rogan ended the career of Michael Cole, would that really be a worst case scenario? Sounds like a best case scenario to me.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #36
Longshot777
Side-Kick

Ronda put female MMA into mainstream and perhaps all MMA, but that's it!!!! However, She will never be regarded as one of the great MMA fighters. She got exposed. This was not Ali or Tyson that lost....this was a total exposure. MC Hammer introduced Rap to mainstream and was huge BUT that's it....he will never be regarded as one of the great hip hop artists. Rousey is the MC Hammer of MMA.

Longshot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #37
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot777 View Post
Ronda put female MMA into mainstream and perhaps all MMA, but that's it!!!! However, She will never be regarded as one of the great MMA fighters. She got exposed. This was not Ali or Tyson that lost....this was a total exposure. MC Hammer introduced Rap to mainstream and was huge BUT that's it....he will never be regarded as one of the great hip hop artists. Rousey is the MC Hammer of MMA.
she is also the reason females are allowed to make money if it weren't for rousey women would never be allowed to fight in the ufc or main event ppvs

her legacy for female combat sports cant be taken away from her

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #38
Iceman
Infinity War!

I was hearing comparisons of RR to the all time greats of sport before she lost these last 2 fights which I thought were ridiculous. Maybe that conversation could happen after continuing like that over a whole career. And having a legacy (which she definitely does have/did achieve) isn't the same as being a great.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #39
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

UFC 207 is tracking at 1.1 million ppv buys

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #40
B
[insert witty comment]

Woodley vs Thompson 2 announced at UFC 209

Really it was the only logical fight for Woodley, let him act on social media like he chose to fight Wonderboy but I'm sure the UFC told him who it was going to be.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #41
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Tyron Woodley doesn't understand he's not a moneyweight fighter. If he is genuinely upset by fans booing him. This is why. It's not because he's black.

- CM Punk
Old 01-09-2017, 10:15 PM   #42
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

Nunes vs Streep

Poetic Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #43
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Tyron Woodley doesn't understand he's not a moneyweight fighter. If he is genuinely upset by fans booing him. This is why. It's not because he's black.
That's exactly why everytime he is allowed to talk about who he feels he should be fighting next everything he says triggers me because he mentions guys who are irrelevant to his current status in his division.

I think he's under some sort of delusion or misunderstood his situation at WW for McGregor's at FW. I think he feels that it was solely because McGregor held a title that allowed him to get a shot at a LW title or get an extra match with Diaz after he'd lost the first outside of his weight class.

People boo him because everything that comes out of his mouth is stupid, it's got absolutely nothing to do with skin colour.. I've not seen him mention that before but if he has it only reinforces my initial comment.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #44
DarthSkywalker

I have mixed feelings. He is clearly delusional, but I can't really hate on people trying to make as much money as possible, especially when they aren't in the Ronda/Conor situation. Woodley will not have more of chance to make real money then he does now.

That being said, he annoys the hell out of me and I hope Wonderboy finishes the job this time.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:35 AM   #45
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Yeah it annoys me when he acts like people are booing him because he's black. It's really because of exactly what you said.

Let me say, I don't hate the guy. He knocked out Robbie Lawler. The dude is clearly good. He won the title. He's the champ, and he did give Thompson a hell of a war. I think the problem is that he's got this chip on his shoulder.

I mean on one hand I get it. Woodley wants to make as much money as he can. He and other fighters see that $4.2 billion number. They see what McGregor gets paid. They see what Ronda Rousey gets paid. They want to get a piece of that action.

I think Woodley's problem is that yeah, he doesn't understand he's not this big moneyweight fighter. Is he an elite welterweight? Yes. But his one defense so far was a five-round draw as champion. And do fans sometimes want to see champions fight champions? Yes. But, that usually is the result of said champion having an exceptional dominant run at their weight class. People wanted GSP and Silva because they were uncontested for so long as champion. It looked like no one was at their level and no one could really compete with them. For several years, that was really the case for both guys. Becoming the No. 1 contender wasn't all that great because you becoming the top contender to get sacrificed to Anderson Silva.

The reason Conor McGregor can write his own checks and book whatever fights he wants? The man knocked out Jose Aldo in 13 seconds. Jose Aldo was undefeated for almost 10 years before that fight. From 2008 to 2015 he was undefeated under ZUFFA promotions, both WEC and UFC. Defended his UFC featherweight title multiple times. No one was really competitive at all against Aldo. And McGregor walked in and finished him with one punch.

Tyron Woodley was basically able to strategize his way into the title slot. He got a KO win over Dong Hyun Kim. Good win. Kim is a perennial top 10 guy in the division. Then he got a split over Gastelum. OK, win's a win. Gastelum didn't even make weight for that fight. Then he's set to fight Hendricks. Hendricks doesn't even make it to the fight due to weight cutting issues. So Dana White made a foolish mistake by saying Woodley gets the next shot since Hendricks missed weight. So Woodley opted to wait and got the next shot. Surprisingly enough, UFC and Dana White actually upheld that promise for once. They've gone back on similar promises before, but they kept it for Woodley.

I guess my problem there is other fighters went on much bigger runs and never got a shot. Woodley was always trying pick and choose his opponents. Matt Brown never did that, and he went on a pretty epic 7-0 run, that included a win over a less seasoned Stephen Thompson. Brown never got a shot at the belt. The best he got was a title eliminator with Lawler that he lost. However, Brown looked like a beast during that run and got impressive wins. And no shot at the belt.

I think what Woodley needs to do is stop complaining. If you want to be the moneyweight guy, go in there and destroy Thompson. Destroy Demian Maia. Those super fights aren't happening right now. Your division is way too stacked. Beat those guys and maybe those opportunities might come. But stop playing the victim. You're the UFC welterweight champion. Fight the welterweights of your division. You're not fighting McGregor.

LOL, now watch McGregor come back and demand a title shot against Woodley and make me look like an idiot.

- CM Punk
Old 01-10-2017, 04:39 AM   #46
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
I have mixed feelings. He is clearly delusional, but I can't really hate on people trying to make as much money as possible, especially when they aren't in the Ronda/Conor situation. Woodley will not have more of chance to make real money then he does now.

That being said, he annoys the hell out of me and I hope Wonderboy finishes the job this time.
I agree with this, it's not that he's trying to earn as much money as possible & get the most lucrative fight he can that's annoying me, it's just his attitude towards it all on social media & anytime anybody sticks a microphone near him.

If he loses to Thompson he will have really blown a chance to build himself up & make any fight he is involved in a big money fight, with or without a title. The likes of McGregor, Rousey, GSP, Silva, Jones etc didn't just go from $50k - $100k purses to $1m+ overnight. It took months - years with each win generating more & more hype. Woodley made a big statement KO'ing Lawler then threw away a good opportunity to build his own name up IMO when he tried to brush off Thompson as a challenger.. in fact if anything he shifted the attention straight to Nick Diaz & GSP by mentioning them.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:40 AM   #47
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:

McGregor and Ronda Rousey are rare anomalies for this sport. Now is this technically a problem of the UFC's own making to some degree with all the special treatment they give McGregor and Rousey? Yes.

At the same time, champions have an obligation to defend their title against the top contenders of their division. Woodley has Thompson, and then next it really should be Demian Maia. Donald Cerrone has to be considered a contender based on his recent welterweight performances. If Cerrone beats Masvidal impressively, you could easily justify him getting a title shot in the future.

Woodley has a full dance card right now. And so does Michael Bisping for that matter.

And you know what else? Several years ago, I would've been fine if the UFC did Silva vs. Jones for the light heavyweight title. Silva was basically uncontested at middleweight for six years. Jones broke the Ortiz record at light heavyweight. IMHO, it kind of made sense. Silva and Jones both constantly dodged that match-up until right before Silva started losing. Then Jones was finally starting to see the allure of a fight with Silva, then Silva lost to Weidman and all that went out the window. There was a window there where you could've done Silva/Jones, but neither guy really wanted it at the time. But this was really all pre-McGregor mania.

- CM Punk
Old 01-10-2017, 04:43 AM   #48
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Yeah it annoys me when he acts like people are booing him because he's black. It's really because of exactly what you said.

Let me say, I don't hate the guy. He knocked out Robbie Lawler. The dude is clearly good. He won the title. He's the champ, and he did give Thompson a hell of a war. I think the problem is that he's got this chip on his shoulder.

I mean on one hand I get it. Woodley wants to make as much money as he can. He and other fighters see that $4.2 billion number. They see what McGregor gets paid. They see what Ronda Rousey gets paid. They want to get a piece of that action.

I think Woodley's problem is that yeah, he doesn't understand he's not this big moneyweight fighter. Is he an elite welterweight? Yes. But his one defense so far was a five-round draw as champion. And do fans sometimes want to see champions fight champions? Yes. But, that usually is the result of said champion having an exceptional dominant run at their weight class. People wanted GSP and Silva because they were uncontested for so long as champion. It looked like no one was at their level and no one could really compete with them. For several years, that was really the case for both guys. Becoming the No. 1 contender wasn't all that great because you becoming the top contender to get sacrificed to Anderson Silva.

The reason Conor McGregor can write his own checks and book whatever fights he wants? The man knocked out Jose Aldo in 13 seconds. Jose Aldo was undefeated for almost 10 years before that fight. From 2008 to 2015 he was undefeated under ZUFFA promotions, both WEC and UFC. Defended his UFC featherweight title multiple times. No one was really competitive at all against Aldo. And McGregor walked in and finished him with one punch.

Tyron Woodley was basically able to strategize his way into the title slot. He got a KO win over Dong Hyun Kim. Good win. Kim is a perennial top 10 guy in the division. Then he got a split over Gastelum. OK, win's a win. Gastelum didn't even make weight for that fight. Then he's set to fight Hendricks. Hendricks doesn't even make it to the fight due to weight cutting issues. So Dana White made a foolish mistake by saying Woodley gets the next shot since Hendricks missed weight. So Woodley opted to wait and got the next shot. Surprisingly enough, UFC and Dana White actually upheld that promise for once. They've gone back on similar promises before, but they kept it for Woodley.

I guess my problem there is other fighters went on much bigger runs and never got a shot. Woodley was always trying pick and choose his opponents. Matt Brown never did that, and he went on a pretty epic 7-0 run, that included a win over a less seasoned Stephen Thompson. Brown never got a shot at the belt. The best he got was a title eliminator with Lawler that he lost. However, Brown looked like a beast during that run and got impressive wins. And no shot at the belt.

I think what Woodley needs to do is stop complaining. If you want to be the moneyweight guy, go in there and destroy Thompson. Destroy Demian Maia. Those super fights aren't happening right now. Your division is way too stacked. Beat those guys and maybe those opportunities might come. But stop playing the victim. You're the UFC welterweight champion. Fight the welterweights of your division. You're not fighting McGregor.

LOL, now watch McGregor come back and demand a title shot against Woodley and make me look like an idiot.
Agree 100% with everything you've said.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #49
B
[insert witty comment]

Since we are somewhat talking about Woodley & money fights, I read this article today: B.J. Penn blasts fighters for seeking ‘money fights’

I agree 100% with what BJ Penn says, his opinion reflects mine exactly on the matter. Here's a quote from the article that sums it up:

"I’ll tell you this, I’m not the guy to go out there and say ‘oh give me this money fight, give me that money fight’,” Penn said. “I look at all these guys doing that and I’m like why don’t you go knock out a 100 guys and become the money fight yourself? ‘Oh I want to fight this money fight, this money fight’ — why don’t you make yourself the money fight? How’s about that one? Let’s just start there."

Old 01-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #50
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

That's why I have no respect for Nate Diaz refusing to take any fight but McGregor. Basically just wants to ride his coat tails to a million bucks.

Poetic Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote