The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #76
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Default Re: Official UFC Thread - Part 8

This was a really bad match for Penn and it exposed how Penn hasn't really learned anything or evolved his fighting style. He stuck to boxing and grappling with very little defense. There was no head movement and Yair got so comfortable throwing so many kicks that Penn didn't think to catch any of the body shots. And when he had time to execute some kind of attack they were super predictable and pretty sluggish (probably older age).

ALSO...I don't know why these fighters keep taking on high level fighters after they haven't fought in a while. One of the reasons Ronda Rousey got OWNED by Amanda Nunes (and there are many) is that she hadn't fought anyone in a year so it was kind of a rude awakening. BJ hasn't fought in 2 and a half years!!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #77
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Every fighter at featherweight is a bad match-up for Penn at this point.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #78
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Yeah, Penn's prime is a good 8 years behind him. He looks like crap physically.

- Baron Harkonnen (Star Wars Episode IV: The Fellowship of the Ring)
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #79
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

Anderson Silva would like to test himself against Mcgregor apparently.

Poetic Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #80
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

That's not happening. Besides, he's fighting Derek Brunson next. I kind of wish Silva would retire at this point. He has nothing left to prove, and I don't think the damage is worth the risk anymore.

Do I think Silva can still be competitive in general? Yes. But he's in his 40s now. Is he still in great shape for his age? Yes. But all that damage, even the ones that aren't knockout punches take a toll. He's forged his legacy and had his career, and I think he should hang it up. I know it's his decision and all, but I mean Derek Brunson could be a dangerous fight for him.

I wouldn't say Brunson is a heavy favorite to beat Silva. At the same time, it could be a case of a younger buck making a name for himself off an older fighter. I don't want Silva's career to come to that.

- CM Punk
Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #81
B
[insert witty comment]

Without a doubt Anderson's best years are behind him, I don't think he has come back the same since the leg break, which is understandable as it doesn't only take time to physically heal from a leg break, mentally it can effect your confidence & how you fight given the circumstances on how he broke it.

I wouldn't say though he is done though or has reached anywhere close to the same point that BJ has though, BJ's last 4 fights he has went out & been convincingly crushed. Silva hasn't reached that point yet, Silva's last 4 fights while he clearly hasn't been at his best, he hasn't been defeated devastatingly or to the point that it made me sad like BJ was on Sunday.

Derek Brunson is a tough fight for Silva, he's in that pocket of fighters just outside those vying for a title shot.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #82
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Every fighter at featherweight is a bad match-up for Penn at this point.
i liked the original denis siver fight way better atleast dennis is pretty basic fighter who is also in his late 30's

bj fighting yair is like jens pulver coming out of retirement and fighting edson barboza

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #83
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganGambit87 View Post
i liked the original denis siver fight way better atleast dennis is pretty basic fighter who is also in his late 30's

bj fighting yair is like jens pulver coming out of retirement and fighting edson barboza
The way Penn fights now, I still would've bet on Siver.

- CM Punk
Old 01-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #84
StarWars
Banned User

StarWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #85
Iceman
Infinity War!

Have any of you guys heard of or seen TFC events? It seems like a 5 on 5 MMA battle, last man standing, with teams from different countries competing against each other. Looks brutal, especially when one team loses a few people early on and it's 5 on 2 or something.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #86
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

WSOF champ Marlon Moraes in talks with UFC, manager eyes Jimmie Rivera in Buffalo
Quote:
LAS VEGAS – WSOF bantamweight champ Marlon Moraes (18-4-1) is a free agent and currently entertaining an offer from the UFC. If a deal can be reached, his manager already has an opponent in mind.

Moraes’ manager, Ali Abdelaziz, today told MMAjunkie that if his client puts pen to paper, he’ll be lobbying for the Brazilian to face UFC bantamweight contender Jimmie Rivera (20-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) at UFC 210, which takes place April 8 at KeyBank Center in Buffalo, N.Y.

Moraes currently sits at No. 6 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA bantamweight rankings, and Rivera checks in just behind at No. 8.

“I believe Marlon is capable of beating any bantamweight in the world,” Abdelaziz said. “Jimmie needs a fight, and Marlon deserves to fight a top-ranked opponent if he signs with the UFC. This fight just makes sense.”

Moraes has been a fixture of WSOF events, debuting with the promotion’s inaugural event and registering 11 appearances – all victories – for the organization. Moraes fought most recently at December’s WSOF 34 event, where he was unleashing a barrage of strikes against opponent Josenaldo Silva, who suffered a knee injury in the exchange and was forced to quit in the opening round.

Meanwhile, Rivera is currently riding an incredible 19-fight winning streak. After losing his second professional appearance – a November 2008 bout under the Ring of Combat banner – Rivera has since gone unbeaten, including UFC wins over Urijah Faber, Iuri Alcantara, Pedro Munhoz and Marcus Brimage.

Rivera, 27, was expected to compete at UFC Fight Night 103 earlier this month, but his intended opponent, Bryan Caraway, was forced to withdraw due to injury. Rivera then briefly accepted a fight with replacement foe Marlon Vera but later changed his mind and declined the contest.
i really hope this happens marlon moraes is hands down the best 135'er outside the ufc

Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #87
I'm Venom
"Hi, honey..."

Congrats to Ortiz...good send off. Anyone have a gif of Sonnen getting choked out by Ortiz? How many submission losses does he have now? 10? I've lost count. He stalled, and Ortiz got on top, Sonnen gave his back, and Ortiz cranked his neck into oblivion. Prime Ortiz would've wrecked a juiced up Sonnen. His takedowns were ridiculous, even surprised me when he guillotined Bader awhile back.

I'm Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #88
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

So who wins between Julianna Pena and Valentina Shevchenko?

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #89
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
So who wins between Julianna Pena and Valentina Shevchenko?
depends on where the fight is dictated if pena cant take her down she easily loses

Old 01-29-2017, 02:49 AM   #90
B
[insert witty comment]

The only fight I watched for UFC tonight was Cerrone vs Masvidal. I thought Herb Dean made a mess of the stoppage, when Cerrone got tagged & dropped at the end of the first for sure when Herb Dean moved in it was to stop the fight as opposed to ending the round.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #91
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

It was a boring UFC event, and I don't usually say that often.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #92
B
[insert witty comment]

UFC 208 was pretty dreadful from top to bottom..

Sometimes though it's these sorts of cards that surprise you, this wasn't the case, all the fights were pretty dire if I'm being honest. I thought Silva/Brunson & Holm/de Randamie were going to rescue the card but both contests were pretty flat & both were controversial.

For a start I thought Rogan was right, de Randamie should have had a point removed, not once but TWICE she struck Holm after the bell to end the round. Even if that wasn't the case, I still felt Holm had won the contest, close enough fight but I felt Holm had won 3 rounds to 2.

Then Silva/Brunson was a very flat fight as well, Brunson reminds me of Phil Davis, has all the physical attributes to be amongst the elite of the division but lacks a fighters mentality. He offered absolutely no aggression or attacking threat in the contest, his best moment was literally holding Silva against the cage & taking him down once in the 3rd round. From neither position did he throw any sort of substantial strikes or attempt to advance a position, dare I say it I think Silva threw more punches, knees etc & he was in the weaker/defending position. Terrible fight, that looked good on paper, questionable decision, I say questionable because I thought Silva won.. then again I am 100% against the wrestlers culture in MMA scoring. It's a fight, if you have someone against a cage you work to get him down or into a position to throw punches/knees, same as when you get them down, you start working to advance position or posture up, lying there throwing feeble minimal damage punches when in a closed guard isn't winning you any substantial points in the round from me.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #93
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

UFC 208 was a letdown, still not the worst UFC card ever. UFC 161, UFC 150 were far worse cards.

According to John McCarthy though, the round ends by the call of the referee, not the bell. So if you blame anyone, it's the referee for not taking better control.

Looks like GSP might be on his way back to the UFC. We shall wee.

If he does come back, that's a near four-year layoff plus another ACL surgery. Also will be 35.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 02-15-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #94
TheCommissioner
Banned User

Todd Grisham is a great addition for UFC

TheCommissioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #95
Iceman
Infinity War!

I haven't been watching UFC that long and am trying to gradually catch up with all the best matches and fighters historically.

Grateful for any recommendations.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #96
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-mcgregor-card

Roy Jones Jr want's to fight Anderson Silva on the undercard of the potential Mayweather/McGregor fight.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #97
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I haven't been watching UFC that long and am trying to gradually catch up with all the best matches and fighters historically.

Michael Bisping is one of the UFC's best fighters. IMO, He's never had one bad fight. Conor McGregor is good too.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #98
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Michael Bisping is one of the UFC's best fighters. IMO, He's never had one bad fight. Conor McGregor is good too.
Oh thanks for that. I've since seen a lot of Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz, Georges St Pierre, Matt Serra and many heavyweight matches. Thanks for the tip on Michael Bisping.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #99
Iceman
Infinity War!

Bloody hell, Khabib Nurmagomedov is a total beast on the floor.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #100
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II
Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard III
Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes II
BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez
Diego Sanchez vs Clay Guida
Robbie Lawler vs Rory MacDonald
Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen I

Those are just a handful of good fights that are all 4/5 round good fights.