The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #551
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Whatever this movie does, just don'T make superman the villain under mind control. That premise is so lame. Their probably going that route for justice league bringing together all the heroes to stop him.
it would be way too soon to do something like that. first, he's a part of a super powered death match that leveled an entire city, only to then become a threat to the city again? that would be piss me off to no end.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #552
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Making superman the villain in justice league would be just as stupid and close minded as making the hulk the villain in avengers.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #553
Rorschach2012
Number One Guy

I didn't think the Superman mind control plot was stupid in the Justice League : Mortal script. And I liked the way they handled it in the OMAC project too.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #554
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Whatever this movie does, just don'T make superman the villain under mind control. That premise is so lame. Their probably going that route for justice league bringing together all the heroes to stop him.
I don't mind it elsewhere but I really don't want to see that in the movies.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #555
roach
I am the night

I give them more credit than that

Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #556
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I didn't think the Superman mind control plot was stupid in the Justice League : Mortal script. And I liked the way they handled it in the OMAC project too.
I loved that bit in the "JL Mortal" script. Especially the whole Wonder Woman - Superman fight. The parts which made me go "F*** YEAH" were Wonder Woman punching Superman so hard he crashes into the moon, and when both of them crash into the Hudson river and are saved by Aquaman.

That script actually had some good character moments for most of the heroes, Batman was the only one who came out looking bad in that script IMO.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #557
Vaibow
Side-Kick

in this next film, superman has to, for the most part, be the superman we know and love, wether it be the Reeve version, comic version, we need a superman that saves people, cares about the public and at least delivers one cheesy line!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #558
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibow View Post
we need a superman that saves people, cares about the public
I thought we got that in MOS?

Or was Clark saving the Oil Rig workers, military soldiers in Smallville, and the entire world from the World Machine in MOS not qualified as him saving people?

And if Superman didn't care about the public then he wouldn't have surrendered himself in to the Military for Zod to take him, let alone cross the line by killing Zod in order to protect that family at the train station....

Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #559
Loki882
Side-Kick

Also, the fight didn't level the "entire city." Zod's gravity beam destroyed a few city blocks (Superman wasn't there at the time), 98% of the city was undamaged. The actual fight destroyed a couple of buildings and damaged a couple more. I keep hearing people grossly exaggerate the extent of the damage to Metropolis and its getting irritating.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #560
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I thought we got that in MOS?

Or was Clark saving the Oil Rig workers, military soldiers in Smallville, and the entire world from the World Machine in MOS not qualified as him saving people?

And if Superman didn't care about the public then he wouldn't have surrendered himself in to the Military for Zod to take him, let alone cross the line by killing Zod in order to protect that family at the train station....
He didn't save a little girl's cat from a tree then fly away smiling as her Mother beat her once. Doesn't sound heroic to me.

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #561
Loki882
Side-Kick

He didn't save two people trapped in their car while Zod took advantage of the distraction and butchered hundreds, clearly he doesn't care about people.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #562
herolee10
No More Miracles

Plus, it's not exactly superman's fault that a lot of the people who were in the streets while Superman was lunged towards those areas were doing nothing but standing around and just watching everything taking place.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #563
roach
I am the night

Damned if you do damned if you don't....save the world get blamed for all the boo boos.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #564
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Damned if you do damned if you don't....save the world get blamed for all the boo boos.
I think this just goes to show on how high the expectations are for Superman from people.

People don't exactly cry fowl as much if other heroes kill off their opponents, especially if they had no choice in order to save people or if killing is just what they do.

And despite how many times we have seen two super powered beings going at in the middle of a populated city within the comics and other animation shows, people bash Superman for doing the same in this film.

And all the while, some fail to realize that Clark really wasn't "Superman" yet until the very end of the film and that he had no prior experience in dealing with super powered beings before the events of this film.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #565
roach
I am the night

The more I have discussions in the Superman thread the more I think about this article. This was before MOS came out and they talked to a bunch of people that worked on Superman in various incarnations and this one writer/producer sticks out.
http://voicesfromkrypton.net/superma...-man-of-steel/

James Tucker, has been writer/producer on various animated DC productions, among them Justice League, Legion of Superheroes, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Superman Unbound, has his own theory about the challenges of the Man of Steel.

“I think people love Superman the way they love religion,” Tucker begins. “They don’t know him as a character, like people don’t love Jesus as a character. They love him as a concept, what he represents, which is an all-powerful, kind, pure, salt-of-the-earth icon. But as a character, as a flesh and blood, living, breathing person with a personality… they don’t really get that from him. He’s always more of an icon – he represents an ideal rather than an individual. That means people put on him their own aspirations, their own wishes. Much like religion, they twist Superman to be what they want him to be. So if they want him to be all-powerful and able to push planets out of the way, if you don’t show that they feel cheated. And if he’s not perfect in every way, if you show him vulnerable… We had this problem on Justice League where every time something happened to Superman, there was a complaint. But he has to be vulnerable to something or there’s no story, there’s nothing to overcome. We didn’t do as well as we could have, but we got better at it.”

He continues, “There hasn’t been a Superman story written or movie made where someone didn’t say, ‘Yeah, but he’s Superman, so he should have been able to blah, blah, blah.’

Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #566
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Some are used to a Superman who can spawn a sticky S embelm and kiss away his problems :P

Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #567
fake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Also, the fight didn't level the "entire city." Zod's gravity beam destroyed a few city blocks (Superman wasn't there at the time), 98% of the city was undamaged. The actual fight destroyed a couple of buildings and damaged a couple more. I keep hearing people grossly exaggerate the extent of the damage to Metropolis and its getting irritating.
And the reason Superman was not there when the Gravity beam was destroying the city... he went to stop the World Engine, something ONLY he could have done.

The fight with Zod destroyed one office building, one parking lot and a building under construction. The office building was shown as unoccupied (makes sense since people would have evacuated), the parking lot probably got a few people and the under construction building was unoccupied.

People seem to be attributing all of the damage as "Superman caused it" instead of "Superman stopped it from being much, much worse".

The weirder thing - people are giving free passes to "Avengers" and "Pacific Rim" saying "But it was contained" or "No one was around" or "They saved the whole world"

Old 10-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #568
fake
Side-Kick

Filming commences in earnest in Feb 2014: http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/...ewlisting.html

Quote:
MAN OF STEEL 2 (aka UNTITLED MAN OF STEEL SEQUAL & SUPERMAN VS BATMAN) - February, 2014 - Detroit, MI & Toronto, Canada & Morocco; Details Are only Available By Subscription.. (Posted: July 29, 2013. Revised: October 17, 2013)

Old 10-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #569
herolee10
No More Miracles

Also, regarding Henry's Superman future role in the Justice League, personally, I still firmly believe that Superman should have a large part in helping put the team together, possibly alongside Batman after they both realize that they can achieve more for the Earth if the heroes united under one banner.

I also think that Superman should be established as the leader of the group.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #570
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
Filming commences in earnest in Feb 2014: http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/...ewlisting.html
Morroco? More Supes in Africa!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #571
Rorschach2012
Number One Guy

Superman and Batman should share leadership roles. Superman will be the face of the team, but the rest of the team should listen to what Batman has to say when he does have something to say

Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #572
Showtime
Your Friend In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
And the reason Superman was not there when the Gravity beam was destroying the city... he went to stop the World Engine, something ONLY he could have done.
I laughed out loud at this.

Nothing you said, but the fact that it was a story element at all. Gravity Beams and World Engines. I hated that so much.

Hope less of that in Batman vs Superman.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #573
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Superman and Batman should share leadership roles. Superman will be the face of the team, but the rest of the team should listen to what Batman has to say when he does have something to say
I'll take that as a option as well, just as long as we don't see Superman or Batman bossing each other around, with one hero being portrayed as the superior hero like it is in the DC animated series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I laughed out loud at this.

Nothing you said, but the fact that it was a story element at all. Gravity Beams and World Engines. I hated that so much.

Hope less of that in Batman vs Superman.
I have a feeling that a lot of the antagonistic elements in this new film is going to be earth based, just so that they can be different from the first film which primarily dealt with aliens, along with being able to show the full reaction that people on Earth have had to both Superman and the events from MOS.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #574
Loki882
Side-Kick

What is wrong with World Engines and Gravity Beams? I'm pretty sure that you could find a comic somewhere where Superman had to deal with a gravity weapon of some kind or a giant terraforming machine (which is what the WE was). Plus, both are established tropes of sci-fi, which MOS was. And it was a threat that we hadn't seen in a movie before, which was nice. It was certainly better than Lex's stupid sink the West Coast with a nuke plan, or his stupid Kryptonite Continent plan. That being said, I also believe that the threat will be Earth-based. Snyder/Goyer wouldn't want to repeat themselves.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #575
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEEVIPER View Post
I will be there, I'm thinking of getting there early. I only live like 5 minutes away from ELACC.

Awesome, you're the best!
You're a lucky man.. please keep us informed if you want

"I think the whole thing with Kryptonite is that it's an easy way out, but if you want to destroy Superman, you BREAK his heart"
-Hans Zimmer
Closed Thread