The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Krypton

Old 04-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #226
ComicBookNerd
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Krypton - General Discussion Thread

I wonder why they’re hiding The Voice of Rao’s face if he wasn’t Brainiac to begin with. BTW, Nyssa Vex is so fine.

ComicBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #227
Willi Berg
Matrix Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorath View Post
I have mixed feelings about this show. My main issue with the series is that I feel it would been better had they centered it around Jor-El and lead the show all the way up to the destruction of Krypton. There very little of it that reminds me of Krypton or gives me any connection to Superman or comics. Again feel the show would have carried more weight if it was with Jor-El and not his father.

That being said I did warm up to the show. I love the story lines and the characters. I love the different spin on Krypton then what we have always known. I'll keep watching for the time being. I can get pass the fact that it wasn't centered around Jor-El.
I recently read an interview with showrunner Cam Welsh where he discussed this:

Quote:
Is that why you chose to focus on Superman’s grandfather rather than his father when developing the series?

As we’ve talked about, in removing it back a generation, it’s just a less familiar character. Also, we’re very conscious of not wanting the audience to feel like we’re just treading water here and waiting for the planet to explode. Most people who know Krypton and know the character Jor-El sort of associate it with that. We don’t want people thinking that there’s this sense of inevitability about the way this is all going to end. We don’t know what happened to Superman’s grandfather. That’s just not something people know a lot about. There’s a freedom in that, and it helps, again, to create a little more distance to what has traditionally been the end of the Krypton story. But it’s no longer that way with this series…
He talks more about it in the link as well as why they decided to go with time-travel and why they chose Adam Strange, instead of someone like Booster Gold (basically saying that Adam is a gateway character to the cosmic part of the DC Universe.)

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...stakes-history

DC Movies:
http://supermantojusticeleague.tumblr.com/
Willi Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #228
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookNerd View Post
I see where you’re coming from in regards to how it should’ve been about Jor El, but you have to remember that unlike DCTV on The CW, this show is part of the DCEU, so they would have to get Russell Crowe to play Jor El in order to maintain continuity.
Wait! What? Since when was this show part of the larger DCEU?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #229
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525 View Post
Wait! What? Since when was this show part of the larger DCEU?
It’s not part of the DCEU. They very deliberately changed the S logo to a more classic design to move it away from Man Of Steel. There’s very little left from that original trailer. The overt connection has been dropped.

Also, would the really have used the Superman theme in a show that was in any way connected to the DCEU? It would have been Zimmer’s theme.

Also in the Snyder film ‘The Black Zero’ is a space ship. In this series ‘Black Zero’ in an organisation more akin to the post-crisis comic book.

While the show takes a few aesthetics from MoS, it’s obviously not part of the DCEU.

And why would it be? At some point they’ll probably want Kal in the show, and why bother trying to get Cavill’s version? Too expensive, too difficult, and not very popular.

Cameron Welsh has said it’s not part of the DCEU as well, so why anyone thinks it is, is beyond me.

It might have started out that way, but then BvS and JL s*** the bed completely, so they’ve understandably done away with the connection... because who wants to be associated with at s***show?

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10

Last edited by m1ll3r; 04-12-2018 at 10:10 AM.
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #230
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ll3r View Post
And why would it be? At some point they’ll probably want Kal in the show, and why bother trying to get Cavill’s version? Too expensive, too difficult, and not very popular.
Yes, Yes, and No. I happen to think Cavill suited Superman, but each to their own.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #231
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525 View Post
Yes, Yes, and No. I happen to think Cavill suited Superman, but each to their own.
Nothing wrong with Cavill. It’s the cluster**** around him that’s the problem.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #232
Pennywise
Side-Kick

I liked last night’s episode. Not as much as last week, but it was pretty good!

Favourite scenes were the moments with Rao and THAT ENDING!

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #233
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Seg-El is nice to look at but dull as dishwater. So far the characters here (and yes this includes Lyta) are very basic to me. Brainiac's the only thing holding my interest thus far. And I have a feeling that airing after the awesomeness of The Expanse will make this show seem even more basic in comparison.
I agree. All the characters are just dull and generic. Adam Strange and Colin Salmon's character are the only ones with some charisma or personality.

Seg is a bull headed douche who keeps screwing up which makes it hard for me to care about his character. Other than the fact he is Superman's grandfather and the key to defeating Brainiac the show has given very little reason to care about the guy.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 AM   #234
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Latest episode was pretty meh for me except for the very ending, which I expected to happen at some point.

Something is just missing from this show.

Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:54 AM   #235
Willi Berg
Matrix Baby

For some reason I was expecting more Brainiac for this episode.

I am giving the show a chance because I remember how shows early on can be very basic until they grow and change e.g. Smallville. At the beginning it was just that meteor that created a new monster every week.

Something I noticed is that the Seg character doesn't feel very grounded. I started wishing we would see more basic stuff from him like where and how he is living day to day. It just kind of jumps to him running around. All the different plot strands don't give a chance to stay with one character for very long, including Seg. He barely got over the death of his parents. I don't know, there needs to be more emotional grounding there with him.

DC Movies:
http://supermantojusticeleague.tumblr.com/
Willi Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #236
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #237
Sorath
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I recently read an interview with showrunner Cam Welsh where he discussed this:

He talks more about it in the link as well as why they decided to go with time-travel and why they chose Adam Strange, instead of someone like Booster Gold (basically saying that Adam is a gateway character to the cosmic part of the DC Universe.)

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...stakes-history
I get it I just don't agree with him at all. I have a laundry list of reasons why and could explain but would rather not bore any one with it. I'll just say that I would have rather seen the show based around Jor-El, Zod, Lara, I think it would been way more interesting and the show would carried far more weight.

That being said it's not a terrible show and I do enjoy the story lines. So Ill keep watching for now.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #238
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Welp, I guess I was completely wrong about who Colin Salmon was.

Aaannd I am going to go with that being a bad, bad, baaaaad plan to stop Brainiac.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #239
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Well that was a twist. But now I fear they're gonna do like an inverse of Gotham and just start bringing all of Superman's already established big baddies from the future.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #240
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

I mean, Doomsday was already mentioned before hand, in preproduction. But does this mean Colin Salmon is THE Zod? Because of how that necklace is passed on, they seem to whittle down to one child eventually.

Brainiac looks really good, though. Even without all the CG tentacles. Kind of makes me interested to see how they realize Doomsday.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #241
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
I mean, Doomsday was already mentioned before hand, in preproduction. But does this mean Colin Salmon is THE Zod? Because of how that necklace is passed on, they seem to whittle down to one child eventually.
Considering Lyta is the same age as Kal's grandfather, and General Zod was meant to be roughly the same age as Seg's son Jor-El, and this is her son...I think yeah, we're meant to believe that this is General Zod.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #242
X Knight
Hope

I knew the bald-headed black guy was going to be connected to House Zod in some way. The preview last week kind of gave that away, too with the "It's You" line.

I fully expected him to be Lyta's father.

However, I was not expecting him to be Lyta's son.

So, that was a surprising twist.

plus, he seems to be modeled/inspired after Injustice Zod, with the bald head and beard.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by X Knight; 04-18-2018 at 10:40 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #243
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post

Brainiac looks really good, though. Even without all the CG tentacles. Kind of makes me interested to see how they realize Doomsday.
He will be revealed as a Kryptonian paramedic named Davis from House Bloome.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #244
Pennywise
Side-Kick

So, looks like Brainiac isn't the second time traveller, it's Zod!!!

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:47 AM   #245
ComicBookNerd
Side-Kick

Nyssa is quickly becoming my favorite character, not only is she stunning, but she plays Seg-El, Jayna-Zod, & Daron-Vex like a fiddle. So far, she’s had the single greatest impact on the series next to The Voice of Rao.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:55 AM   #246
ComicBookNerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
So, looks like Brainiac isn't the second time traveller, it's Zod!!!
That was a crazy twist, should’ve seen it coming, but I was too focused on Brainiac. Well played by the writers.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #247
ComicBookNerd
Side-Kick

Wow, looks like Krypton is really going to bring it. Wonder if they could squeeze Lex Luthor into the mix.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 AM   #248
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I wouldn't put it past them, but so far, the villains that have appeared/will appear are easier to justify in this setting.

Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:35 AM   #249
eon001
Side-Kick

Awesome show so far. I'm digging the time travel element. The flashback was some nice character building.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #250
VTGuy
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I fully expected him to be Lyta's father.

However, I was not expecting him to be Lyta's son.

So, that was a surprising twist.
I thought he was going to be Lyta's Uncle. The brother that her mother took the oxygen mask from and left to die in the flashback earlier in the episode.

VTGuy is offline   Reply With Quote