The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Titans

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #726
The Infernal
Living Impaired

Default Re: Titans General Discussion Thread

I have a hard time picturing them using cg to give Beast Boy and Starfire their comic accurate skin colour. Is that easier than body paint and make-up somehow? I'm picturing another Firestorm scenario where, if they do feature green and orange skin tones at all, then it will be sparingly during action scenes. Which makes me question why would you bother adapting Teen Titans if you can't pull of their look.

Either way it doesn't change Starfire's clothes and wig looking awful and only one of those can be dismissed as 'civilian attire'. Though hairstyles and clothing can be changed, you'll still have to wait on the creators deciding to do so.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #727
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Maybe someone will shave Starfire's head within the first 20 minutes of the episode and she'll have short hair for the rest of the season. No need for anymore bad wigs.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #728
Comicbookguy339
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I have a hard time picturing them using cg to give Beast Boy and Starfire their comic accurate skin colour. Is that easier than body paint and make-up somehow? I'm picturing another Firestorm scenario where, if they do feature green and orange skin tones at all, then it will be sparingly during action scenes. Which makes me question why would you bother adapting Teen Titans if you can't pull of their look.

Either way it doesn't change Starfire's clothes and wig looking awful and only one of those can be dismissed as 'civilian attire'. Though hairstyles and clothing can be changed, you'll still have to wait on the creators deciding to do so.
It definitely isn't.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #729
Teelie
Incredulous Spider-Man

As I commented in the Anna Diop thread, everything about all three of these looks terrible. It has nothing to do with race (though green and orange skin tones are more appropriate for their respective characters) the wigs, the hair dye and everything just feels so cheap.

I really hope this is just them not in full costume and makeup yet because otherwise it is going to fail so hard.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #730
X Knight
Hope

it's as another poster commented above.

it's as if they blew all their wardrobe and costume budget on Robin, Hawk, and Dove that they ran out of funds and had to raid Party City for everyone else......lol.

"cheap" is the right word. like bad/lazy cosplay or direct-to-dvd budget quality or something.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #731
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Time for DC to release some more official pictures! Really hoping Starfire/BB don't go the MM route like they did for Supergirl.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #732
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I have the 70's Adam West Batman and the Legends of the Superheroes TV special.....it is terribly written and acted....but they came damn closer to comic accurate suits than this.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #733
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
Well, I'm very confused why they didn't release some promo pics of the rest of the cast yet like they did with Robin, and H & D. They knew as soon as they start filming outside that these types of pics are gonna get out. It's inevitable. That's just the times we live in, so they really don't have anyone to blame for the backlash but themselves. And I'm completely aware that they're probably just walking down the street or something, and honestly, BB and Raven are completely passable. I'm just so completely thrown off by Starfire that I don't know how to feel about the whole production now. I get that an orange skinned pinkish haired alien in skimpy clothes was always going to be hard to pull off, but the color and design of that wig are just... atrocious. She looks like a hooker...and a really cheap one at that.
Maybe they don't "suit" up at the start while the others do. So, there aren't really any suits to show off just yet since the marketing people might want to wait until we're closer to those episodes coming out. I would've just had them drop all the pics of them in their suits at least before filming started.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #734
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromind View Post
Anna Diop getting scanned for vFx scenes.

https://twitter.com/TheAnnaDiop/stat...28954801168384
I remember seeing this back then. I had assumed it's for when she flies.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #735
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have a hard time picturing them using cg to give Beast Boy and Starfire their comic accurate skin colour. Is that easier than body paint and make-up somehow?
Easier for who? Makeup sucks for the actor, who is often in a chair for three hours every day. CGI, on the other hand, takes longer for the finished product and involves more people.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #736
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Easier for who? Makeup sucks for the actor, who is often in a chair for three hours every day. CGI, on the other hand, takes longer for the finished product and involves more people.
I'm oversimplifying the process, but we're talking about just changing the hue and saturation near the skin be that frame by frame or locking in to the exposed areas as the video plays.

Like that ThunderCats live action fan trailer on Youtube.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
Old 04-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #737
Frankeh
Side-Kick

Quote:
And yet movies with monster budgets like GOTG/Infinity War force actors to endure makeup instead of using CGI when they very well have resources?

I predict they're pulling a Domino with Starfire. That or her "alien" form only shows up in action scenes or something.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #738
The Infernal
Living Impaired

Quote:
If Starfire required prosthetics to accurately I think this would be more of a concern, but we're just talking skin colour. I still think it's just a matter of how cheap the studio can be creating her and Beast Boy's look.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #739
X Knight
Hope

if you can't get basic, defining characteristics of a character right, then don't even bother.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #740
Fincher
Too far gone

I've seen people say a Latina actress should have played Starfire, and if it turns out they're doing the thing where she's orange when she's powered up, then I think it would work better if they'd cast someone with an orange or golden cast to their skin to better evoke the look during the downtime.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #741
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
I've seen people say a Latina actress should have played Starfire, and if it turns out they're doing the thing where she's orange when she's powered up, then I think it would work better if they'd cast someone with an orange or golden cast to their skin to better evoke the look during the downtime.
If Trump's daughter had orange skin like him, she could've worked.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #742
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

I have to wonder how many people will end up with egg on their face when their overreaction to a set photo amounts to naught with the finalized version. But hey, internet geekdom is gonna internet geekdom. Diop's response was spot on, though.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #743
Teelie
Incredulous Spider-Man

Overreaction? This is exactly the reaction a bunch of photos of poorly costumed actors playing highly detailed characters should get. If these are at all representative of what they are doing it deserves worse. That they haven't come out and shown us what they will look like is on them, not on the fans who are seeing some terrible examples of what has been done to these characters.

Diop no doubt did see racism but it is hardly the driving force behind the negative comments I have seen (which all focus on how ridiculous all three look). Contrary to some people's belief, there can be minority people who recieve criticism that has absolutely nothing to do with being a minority. Any racist comments she has seen would still be there even if she were a spot on Starfire. But there wouldn't be this much negative reaction to her look either.

Last edited by Teelie; 04-15-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #744
The Infernal
Living Impaired

Even if they were to fix the skin colour in post you can't fix that awful wig and dress. The dress may be her civilian attire, but that wig is here to stay and we may end up seeing that dress the majority of the time when she's not in her superhero costume. However you cut it there isn't too much about her look to be optimistic about.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #745
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I don’t think that’s Starfire’s real hair. I’d be shocked if it was.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #746
unholyrevenger
DC is Doomed by its fans

Quote:
I have a hard time picturing them using cg to give Beast Boy and Starfire their comic accurate skin colour. Is that easier than body paint and make-up somehow?
No, but it is vastly safer. Remember Gigi Edgley from Farscape. She's got all kinds of kidney problems because of that blue make up she had to wear

Quote:
If Starfire required prosthetics to accurately I think this would be more of a concern, but we're just talking skin colour. I still think it's just a matter of how cheap the studio can be creating her and Beast Boy's look.
Any one know how expensive and time consuming it was to re-color Piccolo in Dragonball Evolution? Cuz the studio literally white washed him, and after a negative reaction they recolored his ass green in post

Last edited by unholyrevenger; 04-15-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #747
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelie View Post
Overreaction? This is exactly the reaction a bunch of photos of poorly costumed actors playing highly detailed characters should get. If these are at all representative of what they are doing it deserves worse. That they haven't come out and shown us what they will look like is on them, not on the fans who are seeing some terrible examples of what has been done to these characters.
You're right. That's not the fault of the fans. It is, though, the fault of the fans for already drawing a conclusion and claiming that this will fail so hard based on some set photos. So yes, overreaction. Didn't see anyone drawing that conclusion with the actual photos of Robin, Hawk, and Dove. But then, it'd be pointless to tell the geek community to just calm their t*ts and wait.

Obviously they're not in full costume, people.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #748
Staticshock
Side-Kick

I agree fans have been overreacting to these set images. I sure that's once the official pics are released people will be changing their tunes.

It just comes down to common sense. If they was got accurately make hawk and dove look good when they not even main characters in show why would they mess up on the main characters

Obviously this show is going to be heavy on the cgi and visual effects. So seeing these ser photos without that is obviously going to look bad. We also had an interview with ryan basically confirming that they have a good budget and nitpicky on getting things right for this show

Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #749
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticshock View Post
I agree fans have been overreacting to these set images.
The Way of the Internet, man.

CB fans + images/info - context ÷ speculation = meltdown.

Last edited by Milk Tray Guy; 04-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #750
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

If James Gunn had done Teen Titans...

Closed Thread