Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #751
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Default Re: Disney Movie Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I had no idea so many people didn't like The Princess and The Frog. I thought it was pretty great, a loveable cast, a really cool villain, neat take on a old story.
I liked it too. It really feels like a true "Disney classic", even if it's definitely not one of the best ones.

Tangled was a bit bland in my opinion. Better than most of the post-Renaissance Disney flicks, but still pretty bland. I liked Rapunzel though.

Last edited by Abudefduf; 01-09-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #752
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I like 'The Princess and the Frog'. Not 1 of my favourites, but it's alright.

I love 'Tangled'. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #753
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
No, people didn't like it because it was a dumb story with bad characters and very few good musical numbers
What I said might not be the reason that you personally did not like the movie, but I stand by it being a big part of the reason it didn't perform as well as they hoped. A lot of people just didn't take the time to see it because of that. Like I said, those people are idiots.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #754
CGHulk
Side-Kick

edit.

Last edited by CGHulk; 01-09-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #755
Mondragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
lol.....I've always wondered why they haven't done a Small World film of some sort.........figured they'd want to cash in on it..........
Plot: Apocalypse Now meets A.I., some unfrozen Disney Kurtz type character has taken over the animotronic children who have reached a primitive consciousness, the hero must float down river avoiding their attacks and loosing his sanity to the constant playing of the monotonous song, as what is real or make-believe become frighteningly indistinguishable ....a world of hopes, its a world of fears.

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-09-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #756
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondragon View Post
Plot: Apocalypse Now meets A.I., some unfrozen Disney Kurtz type character has taken over the animotronic children who have reached a primitive consciousness, the hero must float down river avoiding their attacks and loosing his sanity to the constant playing of the monotonous song as what is real or make-believe become frighteningly indistinguishable.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #757
terry78
I don't die, fool

Basically Epic Mickey. Now that is a game that needs to be a movie.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #758
X Knight
Hope

so I read that they started working on Tangled back in 2003.

considering that the movie came out in, what, 2010, that's 7 years!!

kind of puts into perspective just how much time, effort, work, and passion ( and money....lol ) goes into making these films.

not to mention how much the technology would've changed in those 7 years!!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #759
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

As far as attractions turning into movies (like PotC or Small World), I really hope we can get a better Haunted Mansion movie one day. Also, I'm curious to see how they would do Space Mountain.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #760
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abudefduf View Post
I liked it too. It really feels like a true "Disney classic", even if it's definitely not one of the best ones.

Tangled was a bit bland in my opinion. Better than most of the post-Renaissance Disney flicks, but still pretty bland. I liked Rapunzel though.
Ahh, I loved Tangled. I always hold out for the first time Flynn uses the frying pan to fight the horse, hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
It's so hard being the smartest person here sometimes.
Very frustrating no doubt, but on the bright side it must be pretty easy being the smartest person in Australia.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #761
ComicChick
Mmmm... Pizza
SHH! Global Moderator

I like Tangled and Princess and the Frog

since it technically is partially animated, Enchanted is amazing too.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #762
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Enchanted, Tangled, and Princess and the Frog are each amazing films.

I'm a sucker for Disney...most of the time.

Obsessed with the Pirates franchise. On Stranger Tides is fantastic. And I find John Carter and Prince of Persia to be vastly underrated.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #763
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

Very frustrating no doubt, but on the bright side it must be pretty easy being the smartest person in Australia.
It's even easier in New Zealand.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 01-10-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #764
terry78
I don't die, fool

Eh, both of you guys are just expies of each other anyway.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #765
JB-the-Hunter
Booty hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
No, people didn't like it because it was a dumb story with bad characters and very few good musical numbers
Umm... did you even see Princess and the Frog? Because I disagree with all three of those things. I grew up with Disney movies just like everyone else, but I can name plenty of classics that I enjoyed Princess and the Frog better than.

And besides, people most certainly did like it, even if it didn't do so hot at the box office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post

Obsessed with the Pirates franchise. On Stranger Tides is fantastic. And I find John Carter and Prince of Persia to be vastly underrated.
Between the four recent live action Disney films this is the order I like them in and the rating I'd give them:
1. John Carter 7.5/10
2. Tron Legacy 7/10
3. On Stranger Tides 6/10
4. Prince of Persia 4.5/10

None of them were terrible in my opinion, and it pains me that John Carter may not get a sequel because that film left me wanting more.

"I knew there was something wrong. It just took a while to dawn on me, or maybe I was just afraid to think it, but... you survived the destruction because you caused it. Raina wasn't the only one changed in there, and I'm pretty sure the DNA results that I'm running right now will confirm that there's nothing wrong with the data in my head Skye. There's something wrong with you." - Leo Fitz

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 01-10-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #766
CB Fan
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Umm... did you even see Princess and the Frog? Because I disagree with all three of those things. I grew up with Disney movies just like everyone else, but I can name plenty of classics that I enjoyed Princess and the Frog better than.

And besides, people most certainly did like it, even if it didn't do so hot at the box office.
Yeah a bad movie doesn't get an 84% score on RT. I think the combination of it being a traditionally animated film and a "black princess film" just didn't excite people, there was also the juggernaut that was "Avatar" out along with "Alvin and the Chipmonks" and "Sherlock Holmes". The movie itself is good, it feels like 90s Disney however some of the songs (Down the Bayou, When we're human) were wack while others were stellar (Down in New Orleans, Friends on the other side, Evangeline, Dig a little Deeper). I find that most people who critique the songs have never even bothered to listen they just see Randy's name and think they know what they're gonna hear. My other problem was the fact that Tiana and Naveen had no real time to fall in love it was really forced other than that it was a good not great film.

Last edited by CB Fan; 01-10-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #767
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I really want disney to make a movie with a gay couple in it. If and when they do, they shouldn't make a deal of it. Just put it in.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #768
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Fan View Post
Yeah a bad movie doesn't get an 84% score on RT.
Sure it does.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #769
DACrowe
Side-Kick

On a random note, I was forced to watch The Little Mermaid this week for the first time since I was a kid and....

THANK GOD that I did. I forgot how good that movie was. Childhood nostalgia of the '90s comes flooding back. The story is maybe weaker than the other Disney Renaissance classics (The Little Mermaid through The Lion King), but the music is so good and I certainly think the world is more enjoyable. Every time Sebastian interacts with Ariel or the chef, comedy gold and wonder ensues. TLK and Aladdin are still my childhood favorites, but this was much easier to rewatch for me than Beauty and the Beast was last year in 3D. All great though and I am glad they are still popular to this day.

I'm sure it's redundant to say in this thread, but I really wish Disney would make hand drawn musicals again. Pixar is great, but it is sad a whole generation has missed out.

--John Adams
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #770
terry78
I don't die, fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I really want disney to make a movie with a gay couple in it. If and when they do, they shouldn't make a deal of it. Just put it in.
They did. Beauty and the Beast. You think Gaston and Lefou were just running buddies?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #771
TheDreamMaster
The Night He Came Home...

I'm ready to appreciate the Star Wars sequels!

I do mena that seriously, I hope, but in regards to current Disney, they have a lot to like. Maybe it is the typical boy attitude, but I never would have considered watching any of the "princess" films whne I was a kid, but having two girls, I have seen mos tof them and I really missed out. Really love Beauty and the Beast, especially for the score. I'd say "Kill the Beast" is one of my favorite Disney songs ever.

Anyone els ekinda hate how lately they have been releasing special editions that include one of the sub-par DTV sequels? Pocahontas for example, and although the price isn't terrible, it's sor tof annoying to have to buy both.

"She is a vampire bat!"
"Was the joke that bad?"
Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #772
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:

I agree. Love the pirates films, thought John carter was amazing, and I love princess and the frog. I didnt like prince of Persia as much, but i didn't think it was awful. I love a good clean fun action movie with high production values. Lol

Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #773
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Between the four recent live action Disney films this is the order I like them in and the rating I'd give them:
1. John Carter 7.5/10
2. Tron Legacy 7/10
3. On Stranger Tides 6/10
4. Prince of Persia 4.5/10

None of them were terrible in my opinion, and it pains me that John Carter may not get a sequel because that film left me wanting more.
Wow my ratings would be much higher, I'm so biased towards adventurous Disney films. Although I was disappointed with Tron Legacy I was ridiculously hyped about it, I think in time ill like it more.

On Stranger Tides - 9
John Carter - 8.5
Prince of Persia - 7.5
Tron Legacy - 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
On a random note, I was forced to watch The Little Mermaid this week for the first time since I was a kid and.....
Yeah there is Disney films I haven't seen since was I was little, The Little Mermaid being one of them. Pocahontas was on TV about a week ago and I had to leave but couldn't keep my eyes off the screen, gripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
I agree. Love the pirates films, thought John carter was amazing, and I love princess and the frog. I didnt like prince of Persia as much, but i didn't think it was awful. I love a good clean fun action movie with high production values. Lol
Yeah, Disney does adventure well. BTW I love The Huncthback of Notre Dame.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #774
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
They did. Beauty and the Beast. You think Gaston and Lefou were just running buddies?
Need it a tad bit more clear then

Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #775
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
I maintain Amy Adams should have been Oscar nominated for that role. That's all the proof you need to see that the Academy doesn't care for comedic performances. And kudos to the animators for making cartoon Amy look just as hot as real life Amy.

Closed Thread