Side-Kick

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Olivia Thirlby Thanks 'Dredd' Fans for Sequel Campaign

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...dd-fans-737160

Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #952
Blackman
C'mon Son

Don't get too excited. It's just a webshow and no news of Urban or Thrilby returning. But still...
Quote:
DREDD Resurrected in Seven Part Miniseries From Producer Adi Shankar
by Evan Dickson Posted 25 minutes ago

I loved Dredd so much when it came out two years ago that I was fairly disheartened when it failed to connect with a massive audience. I rarely approach celebrities in random situations, but the one recent exception was to tell Karl Urban how much I loved that movie. So it’s good to hear that we’ll be getting a version of Dredd fairly soon, although it’s not the cinematic sequel that some of us have been clamoring for.

Instead, we’re getting a seven part miniseries from producer Adi Shankar that will be released next month for free. There’s no word on if Karl Urban or Olivia Thirlby will be participating (though Thomas Jane came back for Dirty Laundry so I suppose it’s a possibility) but I guess we’ll all find out soon enough. Hit the jump for more on the Dredd miniseries.

Shankar has been working on this project in secret for almost two years. Per The Wrap:
Since Shankar’s unofficial “Dredd” project was done off-the-grid, it’s technically a part of his popular Bootleg Universe, which includes the short “Punisher: Dirty Laundry” starring Thomas Jane and Ron Perlman, as well as “Venom: Truth in Journalism,” which starred Ryan Kwanten as Spider-Man villain Eddie Brock.

I’m definitely excited to see how this pans out. In the meantime, check out Dirty Laundry and Shankar’s statement thanking the Dredd fans for their support.

Read more at http://collider.com/dredd-miniseries...08ucjDCI46J.99

Old 10-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #953
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Transformers can get 3 sequels but Dredd can't get one.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #954
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Shame isnt it - but I guess Transformers actually makes money, hence the sequels. This movie was let down by 1) lack of advertising and 2) lack of bums on seats in the cinema as a result of that lack of advertising.

Imagine Dredd with the budget and marketing push of a Transformers movie (!). Now that would be something.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #955
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Dredd is one of my favourite CBMs ever and that there won't be a sequel is A freaking DISGRACE.

Last edited by spider-neil; 10-10-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #956
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

The shame of it is that I bet there are tons of people who now profess to love this movie, yet they followed this movie through production but didnt go to see it in the cinema. Poor marketing cant be blamed for that. Maybe if they all would have showed up at the cinema, we'd have a sequel.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #957
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
The shame of it is that I bet there are tons of people who now profess to love this movie, yet they followed this movie through production but didnt go to see it in the cinema. Poor marketing cant be blamed for that. Maybe if they all would have showed up at the cinema, we'd have a sequel.
Blu Ray sales were strong but the film makers won't take a chance that those DVD/Blu Ray numbers will translate to improved box office numbers.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #958
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Blu Ray sales were strong but the film makers won't take a chance that those DVD/Blu Ray numbers will translate to improved box office numbers.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #959
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

they should get a Kickstarter going for a Dredd sequel. i'd definitely donate

Old 10-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #960
Blackman
C'mon Son

it would probably be really expensive. Like a $10 million project. I cant see them making Dredd for that much less.

I dont think Kickstarter is the way to go for this at all

Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #961
Heretic
Side-Kick

Lots of movies will get investors lined up for SOME of the costs, and then Kickstart the rest. Some people I know did a indiegogo and didn't get anywhere near their hoped for amount of money...not even close...but because of outside investors, distribution deals etc, they were able to finance the rest afterward, and I think the movie is getting a theatrical release of some sort in February.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #962
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

I dont know why they dont just turn it into a TV series, the budget would then stay low and they could still do the same sort of thing. I would prefer a movie, but TV may be the way to go with Dredd.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(11)John Wick 2-8(12)Split-8(13)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(14)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(15)Justice League-7(16)Alien Covenant-7(17)Ghost In The Shell-7(18)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(19)The Dark Tower-4(20)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #963
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Remember after Stallone's Dredd and before Urban's Dredd, the Sci-Fi channel was supposed to be developing a low-budget, gritty TV show. I wonder how far that actually got?

Old 10-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #964
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

This is quite neat for everyone aching for Judge Death in the sequel! http://2000adonline.tumblr.com/post/...s#.VDwdivldWN8

Old 10-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #965
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
It was number 1 over here in the UK. Would have done better if the distributor had released it in 2D as well as 3D.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #966
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

The more I think about this movie, the more I wish more CBMs would adapt its structure. We don't need an origin story anymore, just throw us in head first. I don't ever want to see Uncle Ben or Thomas and Martha Wayne get shot again on film. Give us these characters already established and operating in their worlds.

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Old 10-22-2014, 01:45 AM   #967
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
It was number 1 over here in the UK. Would have done better if the distributor had released it in 2D as well as 3D.
Yeah, a few of us on here think that also, or that they should have just gone 2D and used the budget for the 3D towards promotion instead. All I can remember was going to 3 separate showings at my local Odeon and collectively there were about 15 other people there, max.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:42 AM   #968
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
The more I think about this movie, the more I wish more CBMs would adapt its structure. We don't need an origin story anymore, just throw us in head first. I don't ever want to see Uncle Ben or Thomas and Martha Wayne get shot again on film. Give us these characters already established and operating in their worlds.
That is one of the best parts for me. The fact that this wasn't some world threatening event. It was just a day in the life of Dredd. A routine drug bust. Makes him seem all the more tough and terrifying.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #969
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Yeah, a few of us on here think that also, or that they should have just gone 2D and used the budget for the 3D towards promotion instead. All I can remember was going to 3 separate showings at my local Odeon and collectively there were about 15 other people there, max.
It wasn't even shown at my local cinema , I had to go to Basildon to catch it (not many other punters there either). Lack of promotion certainly hurt this one as most of my friends & family who caught up with it later on rental or Sky loved it.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #970
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
That is one of the best parts for me. The fact that this wasn't some world threatening event. It was just a day in the life of Dredd. A routine drug bust. Makes him seem all the more tough and terrifying.
The simpleness of its premise really does help this movie be the great film it is. I just love that it gets right into the world and characters and just goes from there.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(11)John Wick 2-8(12)Split-8(13)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(14)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(15)Justice League-7(16)Alien Covenant-7(17)Ghost In The Shell-7(18)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(19)The Dark Tower-4(20)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
Old 10-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #971
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

I wish there was some way of getting a sequel made. The concept sounded awesome, and the prospect of getting the Dark Judges on the big screen for a third is just too awesome. So disappointing it didn't do as well as it should have done.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #972
Black Narcissus
Pimp a Butterfly

A goddamn masterpiece!

Olivia Thirlby might be my favorite female character of this genre.

Last edited by Black Narcissus; 01-16-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #973
Black Narcissus
Pimp a Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
I've seen clips of Stallone's Dredd film but I never got around and watch the entire thing. I may have to find a way to watch it.
Watch it and then listen to How Did This Get Made Podcast about the movie.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #974
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Need to watch this movie again, so good.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #975
Keehar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Dredd is one of my favourite CBMs ever and that there won't be a sequel is A freaking DISGRACE.
Preach it.

Dredd is the underrated great of the decade.

Closed Thread