The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #376
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: 11.1 - Guardian - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Actually I believe all the producers said at different times they where not going to do that. Personally I think being locked away in fos for extended time is plain stupid thing to do. I still rather superman be clark creation, and fos is just something from his home and the ai of being able to talk with his father and learn of krypton.

Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #377
Johnny
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I personally feel the show was still doing well until Jonathan's death. After that it went downhill and everything was more focused on finding a reason to keep Clark around, and that was a big fault of Al/Miles. I give Brian and Kelly a lot of credit for being able to turn the show in a new direction after their departure, and despite the mistakes they made halfway into season 8, they still set it up for Clark to actually become Superman at some point.
Very true. And that's something so many people don't appreaciate about these two guys despite that they did some stupid stuff too. It's funny how fans used to trash Gough and Miller all the time, then after they left they started to do the same to Brian and Kelly and say how much better everything was during Al/Miles' run. Sometimes it just baffles me how hypocritical a fandom can be. Most fans are extremely fickle, they don't know their ass from their elbow and don't have any clue what exactly they want at all. Out of all the fanbases I can't stand, the Smallville one I hated the worst. Sometimes it still irritates men when I remember some of the crap I used to stumble upon online during the show's run. I know I said this before, but thank God for the Hype. You guys proved to me, whether you were critical or praised the show, that Smallville fans can be so much more than the way I usually saw most of them.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #378
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Oh they did have so,e good things and what not but I think most bash them due to when they left and the big mistakes they did. Sure I bash them too for the wrong they did. But yes I can still say they did do good things too.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #379
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
I think the suit thing was an issue for tom when the show started, but around season 8/9 he changed his view on that.
Agreed; plus, he had already played the character for so long that if his fear was being typecast from the role due to wearing the suit, it was already in a sense too late for him since he had played the role of "Clark Kent" for so long (longer than any actor in terms of live action).

I mean, the guy did start wearing the "S" by Season 9, though a interesting thing that I've noticed is that, whether it was intentional or not, the S that Clark would don on his outfits before his "superman" one were never made as visible when on screen. I'm not sure if it was a artistic decision to show that even when he had the S on his chest on those outfits that he was still not all the way there or if it was Tom Welling thing, but the S on his chest for his dark blur and Red Leather Jacket outfits were not easy to see, especially his dark blur one.

Quote:

I personally feel the show was still doing well until Jonathan's death. After that it went downhill and everything was more focused on finding a reason to keep Clark around, and that was a big fault of Al/Miles. I give Brian and Kelly a lot of credit for being able to turn the show in a new direction after their departure, and despite the mistakes they made halfway into season 8, they still set it up for Clark to actually become Superman at some point.
I remember on how many, including Tom, had thought that Clark was going to mature for the better as a result from Jonathan's death but sure enough, he regressed big time soon afterwards. I also heard that Miles and Gough were dissatisfied with Tom's physique as the season went by, telling him that he should have been more toned like Justin Hartley and Alan Ritchson were.

Personally, Clark had the least amount of interesting things to do as a individual character for seasons 6 and 7; if anything, those seasons felt like where the first half for each one was the producers way of trying to create/launch of a new spin off series by bringing in characters like Green Arrow and Supergirl, all at the expense of Clark's own character.

Brian and crew were able to mostly fix that issue when they allowed Clark to become so much better than those two, especially over Oliver when compared to how the status quo was like in seasons 6 and 7.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #380
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Tom has stated before he was pretty pissed with the lack of clark development in 5th-7th seasons. But he was locked into contract to a possible 8th season. So he was pretty much stuck. But ya if he had no interest in "costumes" we would have never gotten the blur suits he had.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #381
Mikelus
Intellectualis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
That interview sounds interesting. I must have missed it. Do you have the link by any chance?
Here it is:

Quote:
The tenth and final season of the CW sci-fi concluded with Clerk Kent finally accepting his destiny as Superman, but never showed star Tom Welling wearing the character's iconic blue and red suit in full.

The complete outfit's only appearance in the finale was in a distant CGI scene where Superman takes flight for the first time to save planet Earth.

Speaking of the controversial creative decision, Peterson told The Hollywood Reporter: "What we wanted to do all along was show hints at where he was going because that is a whole different story that is yet to be told.

"It felt like it gave just enough without starting to tell a whole different story that is left for all the other media... [Showing Tom in the full suit] to me is just not super-relevant and not what we were trying to do."

Peterson also reiterated that the Smallville finale had always been envisioned as an ending to Clark Kent's story and the beginning of Superman's.

He said: "We were actually thrilled that everybody came together and was on board with the shots that we specifically picked.

"We all wanted it to be the end of Clark Kent's journey because it's a show about Clark Kent. In the days when we saw him in a flannel shirt, the suit was the furthest thing from his mind."

http://www.geos.tv/index.php/news?nid=4087&sid=161

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post

When AlMiles didn't want to touch on the areas related to Superman such as flight, tights, and glasses, it was clear they had no intention of lining up with the Superman mythos. By the time they left, Clark was nowhere near his destiny as they had people believed. For them, it was Clark/ Lex/ Lana all the way to their end.
They said they were going to line up:

Quote:
iF: You brought Lois Lane into this, but it goes against what we know about Lois Lane in the existing mythology. Are you saying this is "your" versions of SUPERMAN or eventually, will all this morph into what we know to be from SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE?

GOUGH: I think it will eventually morph into what you know, it's whether or not you buy the explanations for how they morph in. Some people will and some people won't. The comics over the years have certainly taken liberties with the characters and we certainly have with this story. The plan is that it will all synch up with the mythology we all know.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news...7-news-tv/0218

It should be interesting how Snyder, Nolan & co deal with the glasses issue, will they try to make it more believable or keep the tradition?

I agree Oliver revealing his secret was a stupid decision by the SV producers, he should be dead by now, but whatever. I'm enjoying S11 so far, is the best Superman comic IMO, we have the best version of Lex and BQM is one of the best writers right now. Hopefully, it will last for many years to come.

Mikelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #382
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Yeah, I saw that interview and if the show was going to link up with the mythology, they would not be around to do it. It was left to Peterson and Souders to align with the mythos.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #383
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Quote:
Well, if I recall correctly, the series was going to end after season 4, so Clark was going to be trapped in the fortress for 7 years to sort of line up with the Donner film. But once they decided to continue it past that and into season 5, that's when things started to fall apart because it became more about continuing the show than telling a good story.

That's why I hated seasons 5-7 because it was Clark's lost period. Peterson and Souders were able to do what AlMiles wouldn't and that's moving Clark forward in big ways. Whatever original plan AlMiles had was out the window.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #384
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that interview and if the show was going to link up with the mythology, they would not be around to do it. It was left to Peterson and Souders to align with the mythos.
I remember being on the verge of giving up on SV after season 7 once news came of KK, MR and Al Miles departing and new people taking over, but once again, props to Brian and Kelly for being able to bring it back to life momentarily with season 8, and for delivering an awesome season 9.
Quote:
That's why I hated seasons 5-7 because it was Clark's lost period. Peterson and Souders were able to do what AlMiles wouldn't and that's moving Clark forward in big ways. Whatever original plan AlMiles had was out the window.
To be fair, Oliver's role in season 6 was good at highlighting how far Clark was from his destiny, and Brian and Kelly took Clark forward greatly in season 8, but almost undid all of hat progress with the Lana arc.

But when I look at the greater picture, I don't mind the BDA tendencies of Clark during those seasons because I almost feel like it was necessary for Clark to have those bad years since it does a good job at showing how far he came when he finally did start to move towards his destiny. The character may not have been written well at the time, but in the end, it was nice to see that Clark made mistakes as opposed to just becoming Superman.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #385
Rockstar
Banned User

Thanks for the article. I remember that now. It came out the week after the Finale aired.

I'm not sure I buy into their explanation. What purpose would they have in teasing the suit, and using the CGI Superman if they never had any intention of letting Tom wear the tights?

Something is off in this picture.

Tom was a producer too. He was in on this decision regardless. He's to blame one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Tom has stated before he was pretty pissed with the lack of clark development in 5th-7th seasons. But he was locked into contract to a possible 8th season. So he was pretty much stuck. But ya if he had no interest in "costumes" we would have never gotten the blur suits he had.
Those weren't really 'suits' or costumes, they were basically civilian attire. Normal clothes.

Zod, Lex and many others wore similar trenchcoats with black jeans.

I am curious to see this interview where Welling was supposedly pissed about his character. I remember Welling being very reserved when it came to interviews back then.

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #386
herolee10
No More Miracles

Honestly, the issue that I have with the producers' logic that by showing Tom in the full suit would be to tell a "different" story from the one that they were supposedly trying to tell is that, quite honestly, it doesn't make sense whatsoever.lol

I mean, if they had NO INTENTIONS from the beginning on showing Tom in the full suit, why even build up to that moment where Clark receives the suit, let alone showing the full costume at the FOS or in Clark's barn? They can't be so ignorant to not have thought that people's expectations would have been at a all time high after seeing that. Not to mention, we in a sense already had a not one, but TWO superman-like change ups before the final one:

1. Warrior (Clark rips his shirt to reveal his dark blur shirt)

2. Booster (Clark changes in Superman fashion inside the phone booth)

After 10 years of viewership, the show literally owed its fans more than what we got. Maybe they thought that by showing Superman in any type of action would be service enough, but personally, i don't think it was.

Plus, I want to add that the show was already in many ways, a "superman" one..I mean the only things missing from it was Clark not being able to fly or have the real suit on.

Last edited by herolee10; 06-01-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #387
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I think with the producers ideas and dc madates changed things over the yrs. Same with fos look and season 5-6 use of sr s shield and all that.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #388
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

When I read the first issue of Smallville Season 11, I'd read it imagining what it would look like if it was shot live. I wonder if the next issue will have a different episode title or will it be called Guardian Part 2.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #389
Johnny
Banned User

They said the first 12 digital issues are the "premiere" Guardian. Meaning the first 3 print issues would be Guardian Part 1-3. Then for the next "episode" we're gonna have a different title.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #390
Mikelus
Intellectualis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Thanks for the article. I remember that now. It came out the week after the Finale aired.

I'm not sure I buy into their explanation. What purpose would they have in teasing the suit, and using the CGI Superman if they never had any intention of letting Tom wear the tights?

Something is off in this picture.

Tom was a producer too. He was in on this decision regardless. He's to blame one way or the other.
You're welcome.

I think it was up to Tom, he didn't want to for whatever reason. Lets be honest, he's not the biggest fan of the genre either. They knew people wanted to see him in the suit, even Erica said she wanted to see him in it, is a shame they didn't do it.

Mikelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #391
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I remember in the episode where Oliver dressed as the Red Blue Blur, with the cape and everything, Clark had that line that he wouldn't wear anything like that in this lifetime. You can tell that that was such a big nod to how Tom felt.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #392
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Quote:
I remember in the episode where Oliver dressed as the Red Blue Blur, with the cape and everything, Clark had that line that he wouldn't wear anything like that in this lifetime. You can tell that that was such a big nod to how Tom felt.
I felt TW was sending a message about wearing the suit.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #393
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Like I said though in early yrs to around then tom didn't want to wear a costume. But his views did change towards the end. And sure he did wear the suit and I wish he did. I am still happy we saw him in a few outfits. Plus there is the time he did dress up as green arrow.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #394
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I highly doubt that that was Tom in the GA outfit, at least not the full thing. I'm pretty sure they used a stunt double for every shot except the one where Lois kissed him, and for that shot, all he needed was the jacket/top.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #395
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

If TW only wore the top part of the GA suit, that may have foreshadowed his wearing the top part of the Superman suit in the Finale.

Thanks, Johnny, about the first three issues that will be Guardian.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #396
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

You do you not think it was tom for those scenes of clark in the green arrow suit. I guess we would have to go looking for info from season 6 to see if we can find out anything.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #397
herolee10
No More Miracles

You know; even IF the rumors are true that Tom did not want to wear the suit still in any way by the end of the series, hence why we never saw Clark really wearing all of it in the last episode, makes me wonder at times on what would have been the case if Brandon Routh had been the one to get the role on SV (since he had auditioned for the role as well) since we all know that he has no issues with wearing the suit.lol

Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #398
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

The show probably would have not gone as long as it did if he was in the show. To me and just my opinion of the guy from sr, to his chuck guest spot. He is a very lousy blank slate of an actor. Sure tom was fresh at the start of the show's run. But he grew and develop a lot over the yrs.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #399
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

Like DC's new 52 Superman, the SV Superman has no red underwear. However, since it has some darker colors, I wonder if his suit reminds you of the Eradicator's suit (the one with glasses).

Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #400
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Like DC's new 52 Superman, the SV Superman has no red underwear. However, since it has some darker colors, I wonder if his suit reminds you of the Eradicator's suit (the one with glasses).
The first time I saw the Smallville Season 11 costume I thought the same thing.