The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Old 08-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
SyntaxError
Side-Kick

Default Final Judgement: Peyton Reed

After Edgar Wright exited the project, Peyton Reed was brought on to bring Ant-Man to the big screen. His time in the directors seat (and before) has evidently been subject to controversy.

Now that we've all seen the final product, whats the final judgement on Peyton Reed? Was his work on Ant-Man good?

Has he done enough to stake a claim for another Marvel film? If so, which one?

SyntaxError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
TheVision
Sharp Dressed Man

Default Re: Final Judgement: Peyton Reed

Yes it was very good and I also think if he had been on the project for a longer time and didnt have to jump in as a last minute replacement (and lets be honest, it WAS last minute) it couldve been even better in some minor ways. But for what he had to work with it was a nicely directed/visualized film.

Based on his work I think he could easily do a sequel down the road. Maybe get some different writers for another take on Ant Man (see Cap 2) and adapt it even more to his own style/sensibilities so its 100% Peyton Reed.

80% on RT at the moment which means it was seen as a successful movie. Not Avengers numbers BO wise but for one of the lesser known characters they have (for the general public) its great.

Last edited by TheVision; 08-05-2015 at 02:49 PM.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
YJ1
Armed and Dangerous

After everything I've read and after hearing him talk about what he added, he deserves massive credit and a huge "thank you" from Marvel fans.

Honestly, I truly believe this film turned out far better than it would have had Wright stayed on the project.

Peyton Reed more than deserves another film in the MCU. If not Ant-Man 2 then why not Captain Marvel?

YJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Flint Marko
"Underoos!"

He and Fiege have had a good working relationship for years, so I think it could happen. I'm not sure what property would be best suited for him, but I'd like to see him behind the camera again at some point.

#STOPAVI2017
#ENDSONY2017
Flint Marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

He did a fantastic job. Whatever problems they had along the way did not stop the film from turning out to be excellent.

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
Dyson
Side-Kick

Edgar Wright worked with Marvel Studios on "Ant-Man" for 8 long years. Peyton Reed had 9 - 10 weeks. For a film with a $130 million budget and a 5 month shooting schedule, typically a director will need 6 to 7 months of full prep.

Yet "Ant-Man" turned out GREAT! To think that the film we got was prepared by a director who literally had just weeks to work on it before filming began. Seeing how well "Ant-Man" turned out with Reed at the helm, I say that Marvel fans should give the guy a lot credit and praise and Reed should direct another Marvel film with full prep. "Ant-Man" was clearly made by a Marvel fan. Anyone who says Reed just phoned on this film for Marvel Studios has no idea what he or she is talking about.

I think Peyton Reed would be a great pick for "Captain Marvel", if "Ant-Man 2" is a no go. Even if Reed isn't given another feature to direct, then I think Marvel Studios should allow him directing gigs on their various TV series.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:17 AM   #7
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

While I still think Wright had a big hand in this, and I would have liked to see him direct the movie as I love his movies. Reed deserves a LOT of credit for coming so late and still making not only a very fun and entertaining movie, but one with a lot of heart as well.

I will say this has some of the best and most inventive action of all the solo movies as well.

1)Logan-9.5(2)John Wick 2-8(3)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(4)Ghost In The Shell-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #8
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Peyton Reed for Marvel's THE FANTASTIC FOUR. 'Nuff said!

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
SomeOldGuy
Side-Kick

Y'know, I'm still trying to figure out what prompted Wright to take his ball and go home. The finished film doesn't come across as the product of ham-handed studio intervention. The links to the greater MCU, which was supposedly a problem for Wright, are pretty limited: there's the Shield bit in the intro, the throwaway gag line about calling the Avengers, the bad guys are attributed to Hydra, and the fight with Falcon. Only the last item feels the least bit forced, but it's tied in (if loosely) to the plot, which is more than can be said for the five-minute Ragnarok teaser trailer stuffed into the middle of Ultron.

Reed did a fine job IMO.

SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

The movie was very entertaining as well as a critical and financial success so yes, I say credit where credit is due (and that includes Edgar W, whom I would consider a collaborator rather than "the guy that got fired"). But Reed got the job done so good for him. I'd be fine with him helming another picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Avenger View Post
Peyton Reed for Marvel's THE FANTASTIC FOUR. 'Nuff said!
Right on.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
Raiden
Hela Good

Kudos to Reed, who was hired late and got a lot of flak from Edgar fanboys but nevertheless delivered a quality movie that received 80% RT and good box office, based on a C list superhero named Ant-Man. Marvel needs to green light Ant-Man 2 ASAP, and if Marvel gets FF back I think he would be a good candidate to direct it.

Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:17 AM   #12
Vincanws
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Kudos to Reed, who was hired late and got a lot of flak from Edgar fanboys but nevertheless delivered a quality movie that received 80% RT and good box office, based on a C list superhero named Ant-Man. Marvel needs to green light Ant-Man 2 ASAP, and if Marvel gets FF back I think he would be a good candidate to direct it.
Ant-Man is gunning for the first Cap's numbers. There's every likelihood we'll hear talk of an Ant-Man project somewhere down the line. Though there's only so much they can do at once without expanding out their studio big time. I think the studio will consider priorities once the key equivalent new stuff is out including Doctor Strange & Black Panther to get some context on box office performance.

Vincanws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #13
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Yep he deserves credit after everything that happened with Wright and getting booed at Comic Con. He missed out on GotG and glad Marvel went to him for Ant-Man. Here's hoping he'll direct the FF for Marvel when they get the rights back. He deserves it.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Edgar's version would have been vastly superior in every single possible measurable aspect, that is an undeniable FACT!

Peyton's resume is a maggot infested piece of rotten produce compared to Wright's

Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 AM   #15
See Cap Run
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
Edgar's version would have been vastly superior in every single possible measurable aspect, that is an undeniable FACT!

Peyton's resume is a maggot infested piece of rotten produce compared to Wright's
Wait, you're on the troll list? Are you above or below angry bees?

Peyton Reed made one of the best solo origin films of the MCU so far, just behind Iron Man, Doctor Strange, CA:TFA and Thor for me, which puts it in very good company.

Last edited by See Cap Run; 01-01-2017 at 01:18 AM.
See Cap Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #16
Milk Tray Guy
Side-Kick

I had little to no interest in Ant-Man going in but it turned out to be one of my very favourite MCU films. All credit to Reed for doing a damn fine job at very short notice!

Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #17
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

So, I'll just say I do think it would've been better if Edgar Wright had stuck around. But that's not to say that's entirely because Wright > Reed. Reed came in late, he likely didn't have much hand in scripting or casting and Wright probably did.

When all was said and done, Reed did a good job. And while I wish Wright had done it, I'm a little peeved that he didn't tough it out.

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #18
Vincanws
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
So, I'll just say I do think it would've been better if Edgar Wright had stuck around. But that's not to say that's entirely because Wright > Reed. Reed came in late, he likely didn't have much hand in scripting or casting and Wright probably did.

When all was said and done, Reed did a good job. And while I wish Wright had done it, I'm a little peeved that he didn't tough it out.
Ah well, there's Edgar's new one out in a few months. It's called 'Baby Driver'. Maybe that will show some of the style you're looking for that got lost in Ant-Man. Or maybe it won't be all that, time will tell ..

Vincanws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
Starcat
Newbie First Class

Reed had a difficult task coming in the way he did. And he surpassed all my expectations. I'm very glad he is helming the sequel.

Starcat is offline   Reply With Quote