Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #726
Crazy Quilt
Banned User

Default Re: Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party II

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
That ain't gonna get past Congress.
You think? The Democrats in Congress are no more for this than the Republicans, in reality. They're all owned by the same masters.

And so the legal fiction that property is a person shall continue.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #727
Marx
Pixelated

Lightbulb Re: Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party II

UPDATE: REPRESENTATIVE BARNEY FRANK WILL NOT SEEK RE-ELECTION
http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/28/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

I'm actually a little surprised by this one.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #728
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

Yea, me too.

A lot of Republicans will be happy though.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #729
Marx
Pixelated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Yea, me too.

A lot of Republicans will be happy though.
...especially the overly conservative ones.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #730
Marx
Pixelated

UPDATE: REPRESENTATIVE CHARLIE GONZALEZ WILL NOT SEEK RE-ELECTION
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...g-re-election/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Representative Gonzalex
I've been in Congress for 14 years and I want to do something else - what that is, I really don't know. But financially, I would like to be productive and have the resources to make a better life.
...because making well over $100,000 isn't enough money for you? What an out of touch moron! People like this need a good dose of reality.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #731
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

If Al Gore seriously hit Laurie David then all I gotta say is...bravo. Al Gore's a playa. She's hot.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #732
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Quilt View Post
You think? The Democrats in Congress are no more for this than the Republicans, in reality. They're all owned by the same masters.

And so the legal fiction that property is a person shall continue.
Well said.

IMT supporter
Old 12-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #733
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Blago's been sentenced to 14 years in prison.

Last edited by Matt; 12-07-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #734
Marx
Pixelated

Here is the story...

UPDATE: BLAGOJEVICH SENTENCED TO 14 YEARS IN PRISON
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/07/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

I have a very hard time seeing him functional in a prison.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #735
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

It'll be a white collar prison, he'll do fine.

I prefer The Onion's headline:

"Least Corrupt Politician in Illinois History Sentenced to 14 Years!"

Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #736
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'll ask it here.

I drive past this guy's house almost every day, and in his front yard is a sign, "MD DEMOCRATS TAX AND SPEND!" Too me, this seems like a slam against the democrats, and I know I've heard it in republican rhetoric before. My question is, exactly why is that a bad thing?? This seems like basic economics to me. I mean, let's explore the alternatives.

1. Tax, but don't spend. Well, that's just greedy and makes you look like a thief.
2. Spend, but don't tax. Exactly where is the money supposed to come from?
3. Don't spend and don't tax. Well, just because you're not bringing any money in and your not spending anything, doesn't mean your financial responsibilities vanish.

I know we need fiscal responsibility, but if you don't bring any money in, you have no money to spend. And if the government doesn't spend any money, they simply get behind on everything, and if they don't bring money in, they are simply getting deeper in debt. So, if anyone here knows why tax and spend is a bad thing, please, tell me why.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #737
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post

I drive past this guy's house almost every day, and in his front yard is a sign, "MD DEMOCRATS TAX AND SPEND!" Too me, this seems like a slam against the democrats, and I know I've heard it in republican rhetoric before. My question is, exactly why is that a bad thing?? This seems like basic economics to me. I mean, let's explore the alternatives.

1. Tax, but don't spend. Well, that's just greedy and makes you look like a thief.
2. Spend, but don't tax. Exactly where is the money supposed to come from?
3. Don't spend and don't tax. Well, just because you're not bringing any money in and your not spending anything, doesn't mean your financial responsibilities vanish.

I know we need fiscal responsibility, but if you don't bring any money in, you have no money to spend. And if the government doesn't spend any money, they simply get behind on everything, and if they don't bring money in, they are simply getting deeper in debt. So, if anyone here knows why tax and spend is a bad thing, please, tell me why.

As someone who is not into either side...one thing i've noticed is that many people will bash the other side (demos and repubs alike) simply because it's "the other side" Often times the logic behind the "arguement" is thing.

Beliefs - Christian. Anti-Republican. Anti-Gun. Complete separation of church and state. Freedom of speech. Freedom to practice any religion in public. Less focus on foreign lands and more focus on our own problems.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #738
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post

There's no point in arguing with slogans. Things are good in moderation.
Do you think unconditionally increasing taxes and unconditionally increasing spending is always a good idea for economy? That's the mindset he's protesting...I have met many people who think the solution to all ills of society can be solved by taxing and creating a new domestic program. When the program fails to achieve its result, the supporters argue the program was underfunded...and the cycle continues. Every economic has a side effect...you can't just increase taxes and not impact free market transaction that occurs.

Should there be no taxes and no spending...no...as said before no point in arguing with slogans.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #739
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
There's no point in arguing with slogans. Things are good in moderation.
Do you think unconditionally increasing taxes and unconditionally increasing spending is always a good idea for economy? That's the mindset he's protesting...I have met many people who think the solution to all ills of society can be solved by taxing and creating a new domestic program. When the program fails to achieve its result, the supporters argue the program was underfunded...and the cycle continues. Every economic has a side effect...you can't just increase taxes and not impact free market transaction that occurs.

Should there be no taxes and no spending...no...as said before no point in arguing with slogans.
Well, that explains it. I can understand that argument. At some point though, the government is either going to have to stop spending so much, or they won't have a choice but to raise taxes.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #740
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

I read this post on a progressive website that argued a good counter-slogan to "tax and spend liberals" would be "cheap labor conservatives", because whether they want to admit it or not, that's the goal that all right-wing policies fundamentally revolve around.

Of course, given that the Democrats have adopted completely pro-corporate policies in the last 30+ years, you could easily call them "cheap labor liberals". The significant division in society isn't really Republicans vs. Democrats; it's capital vs. labor. I hope the unions get wise and split from the worthless and two-faced Dems.

As for the news about Blagojevich: another symbolic jailing of an easy scapegoat to distract from the larger failings of the system as a whole. Reminds me of those old Pravda stories in Stalinist Russia where they would jail a token corrupt factory manager or party apparatchik. "See? The system works."

Sure, Blagojevich is guilty. But it's always important to keep things in perspective. He's going to jail for 14-20 years because he tried to sell Obama's Senate seat and made some shady deals. Meanwhile, George Bush and Dick Cheney legalized torture and invaded a country on false pretenses in a war that killed hundreds of thousands, and they are feted in the media, write bestselling memoirs and go on lucrative speaking tours (and I'm sure Obama will join them at the end of his term, when all three of these bozos should be in handcuffs and on trial in The Hague).

IMT supporter
Old 12-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #741
Victarion
Iron Captain

What in the name of maple syrup is The Hague?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #742
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
What in the name of maple syrup is The Hague?
It's the capital* of the Netherlands. It's also home to the International Criminal Court, an international court which tries war criminals and dictators when it is politically convenient.

*Technically Amsterdam is the official capital, but the Hague is the de facto capital.

Last edited by Thundercrack85; 12-09-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #743
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Democratic Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska has announced that he will not seek re-election, essentially guaranteeing the seat to fall into Republican hands in 2012.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #744
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Democratic Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska has announced that he will not seek re-election, essentially guaranteeing the seat to fall into Republican hands in 2012.
Isn't he the guy who generally votes with the Republicans anyways?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #745
Marx
Pixelated

UPDATE: JOHN EDWARDS FACING SERIOUS HEART CONDITION; TRIAL DELAYED
http://articles.cnn.com/2012-01-13/u...wards?_s=PM:US

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #746
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
Isn't he the guy who generally votes with the Republicans anyways?
Yes. But supporters of the Democratic Party often forget that at least a third of Democratic members of Congress are bought-and-paid for conservaDems like Nelson.

The Democrats have a neat trick which some progressive blogger (forget who) described as the "rotating bad guy" strategy. Any time Democratic leaders want to explain away their total inability to pass remotely progressive legislation, they can always pin the blame on a bunch of corporate Democrats who won't play ball. And then with each new piece of legislation, there's a new group of Democratic spoilsports who are supposedly preventing it from going forward. It's very convenient: when Democratic leaders can't blame Republicans anymore for their party's own lack of balls, they blame Democrats.

God, what a pathetic excuse for a political party.

IMT supporter
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #747
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

The Democrats and the Republicans are both pathetic excuses for political parties.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #748
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
Yes. But supporters of the Democratic Party often forget that at least a third of Democratic members of Congress are bought-and-paid for conservaDems like Nelson.

The Democrats have a neat trick which some progressive blogger (forget who) described as the "rotating bad guy" strategy. Any time Democratic leaders want to explain away their total inability to pass remotely progressive legislation, they can always pin the blame on a bunch of corporate Democrats who won't play ball. And then with each new piece of legislation, there's a new group of Democratic spoilsports who are supposedly preventing it from going forward. It's very convenient: when Democratic leaders can't blame Republicans anymore for their party's own lack of balls, they blame Democrats.

God, what a pathetic excuse for a political party.
Sounds a lot like Kos Moulitsas.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #749
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
The Democrats and the Republicans are both pathetic excuses for political parties.
True, but at least Republicans have a coherent ideology, even if the conclusions it draws - compared to the challenges the country faces - are totally incoherent.

Democrats, on the other hand, basically have no card to play at this point other than "we're not Republicans".

IMT supporter
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #750
Marx
Pixelated

The Republicans are advocating the same types of policies that got us into this mess to begin with.