The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #301
samsnee
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,630
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Good for ScarJo to get paid but yeah doesn’t leave much money for everyone else.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #302
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,281
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCat View Post
Mission Impossible isn't coming out next week so far as I know, so I didn't think those very successful spy films were what you were talking about.
My mistake, M:I comes out in 2 weeks. Still, bankable lead (Cruise has had some huge flubs recently as well, btw), established franchise, not seeing the major difference here.

Quote:
Gender is not the issue.
You brought up gender right out of the gate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCat
Because there are lots of espionage action films with female leads.
You realize that there really aren't that many espionage action films with female leads? There are way, way more with men, but gender isn't brought up when those succeed or fail.

Quote:
This doesn't sound like a superhero movie,
Based on what?!

I will yet again point out that we know nothing about this movie. Your argument is illogical because there's, quite literally, no logic to support it.

__________________
Quote:
"Kevin Fiege built this in a cave! With a box of scraps!."

Last edited by Flint Marko; 07-12-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #303
Speed Force
There was an idea...
 
Speed Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

It all just depends on the budget. I can't see it being 200m+ but who knows. I doubt Cate Shorland is making a whole lot to direct. ScarJo obviously is but we'll see who else is cast. Will Fury pop up? Hawkeye?

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #304
Drizzle
Senpai Goldblum
 
Drizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,115
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Force View Post
It all just depends on the budget. I can't see it being 200m+ but who knows. I doubt Cate Shorland is making a whole lot to direct. ScarJo obviously is but we'll see who else is cast. Will Fury pop up? Hawkeye?
Fury and Hawkeye should be a given, especially if it's a prequel. In fact, I think Hawkeye should be a deuteragonist in this since he's mostly gotten the shaft in every movie he's been in save for Age of Ultron. Civil War did him justice, but he still only had about four minutes of screentime there.

Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #305
Speed Force
There was an idea...
 
Speed Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Fury and Hawkeye should be a given, especially if it's a prequel. In fact, I think Hawkeye should be a deuteragonist in this since he's mostly gotten the shaft in every movie he's been in save for Age of Ultron. Civil War did him justice, but he still only had about four minutes of screentime there.
Agreed. I was hoping he'd show up in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Hawkeye and Widow will be the biggest benefactors from this movie.

I wonder if Coulson could show up too then.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #306
jmc
away for a while
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Down Under
Posts: 31,773
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

This has always felt like this weird step child of a film that’s being made out of obligation to Scarlet than anything else. The fact they went through 70 directors frankly says to me they’ve never had any solid idea as to what they wanted to do with this. It being a prequel also says alot. On top of that, I really don’t think there is much call for a Black Widow film as what has been suggested online because I don’t think she’s ever been that interesting a character as everyone else around her. To me anyway both her and Hawkeye are supporting characters.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #307
Prettyricky
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 130
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Not hating on this character or actress but is there a real demand for this movie honestly? I just dont see it and from what ive seen of the character ive yet to be impressed.

Prettyricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #308
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,281
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

So I get on twitter to check how this news is being received and about half of the what I'm seeing are people trashing Scarlett for taking a transgender role and saying this is terrible timing for Disney to announce this news because Scarlett is now "problematic" and "cancelled" or whatever, but.....

Can someone please explain to me why this wasn't an issue with Jared Leto or Jeffrey Tambor also played a trans person? Leto won a ****ing Oscar and now Scarlett is getting chewed a new one? Have I missed something?

__________________
Quote:
"Kevin Fiege built this in a cave! With a box of scraps!."
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #309
Negrotigre
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oakland Ca.
Posts: 128
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?



I am super excited! I love the character, and I think Scarjo has been very good in it. I think the box office will surprise many.

Negrotigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #310
childeroland
Side-Kick
 
childeroland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,976
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
So I get on twitter to check how this news is being received and about half of the what I'm seeing are people trashing Scarlett for taking a transgender role and saying this is terrible timing for Disney to announce this news because Scarlett is now "problematic" and "cancelled" or whatever, but.....

Can someone please explain to me why this wasn't an issue with Jared Leto or Jeffrey Tambor also played a trans person? Leto won a ****ing Oscar and now Scarlett is getting chewed a new one? Have I missed something?
If Tambor or Leto took a trans role today, it would be an issue. Things have changed really quickly the past few years.

__________________
That which is not Body, is no part of the Universe, and because the Universe is All, that which is not Body is Nothing and consequently Nowhere. Thomas Hobbes

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy


Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just nothing. Arya Stark

Spellcaster now available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #311
jmc
away for a while
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Down Under
Posts: 31,773
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
So I get on twitter to check how this news is being received and about half of the what I'm seeing are people trashing Scarlett for taking a transgender role and saying this is terrible timing for Disney to announce this news because Scarlett is now "problematic" and "cancelled" or whatever, but.....

Can someone please explain to me why this wasn't an issue with Jared Leto or Jeffrey Tambor also played a trans person? Leto won a ****ing Oscar and now Scarlett is getting chewed a new one? Have I missed something?
If I was to hazard a guess it's probably because neither other those two were openly supportive of progressive talking points whilst Scarlet was. That's the problem with the twitter crazies, once you step out of line after being allied to their cause they go after you.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #312
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian
 
random_havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,614
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
If I was to hazard a guess it's probably because neither other those two were openly supportive of progressive talking points whilst Scarlet was. That's the problem with the twitter crazies, once you step out of line after being allied to their cause they go after you.
Exactly. They're ridiculously quick to eat their own. No one was more outspoken for SJW (a term I loathe but have come to accept has its place) type causes than Joss Whedon and all it took was one accusation from his ex wife of all people (surely no ex has ever slandered their ex before) and he was viciously attacked.

I figured that with a trans gender role it should be able to played by a man or a woman. But no, it has to be a transgender person in particular (not an at all unreasonable request given the mass number of trans actors that I'm sure are huge names that will help draw money at the box office).

End of rant

__________________
Fox's Marvel movies: Good, great, awful, ok, even more awful, awful, SO awful, good, terrible, Surprisingly good, Terrible, good...

Last edited by random_havoc; 07-12-2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: edit
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #313
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,281
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
If Tambor or Leto took a trans role today, it would be an issue. Things have changed really quickly the past few years.
Too quickly to make a lick of sense. Jeffrey Tambor won a Golden Globe, an Emmy, and a SAG award while Jared Leto won an Oscar. Now it's worthy of outrage, even though most of those same people on twitter/tumblr were probably the first to heap praise on Tambor or Leto for putting trans people in the spotlight.

And you know what? I don't have a problem with people praising Tambor/Leto, or being outraged at Scarlett for taking a role away from a trans actor. But pick one. Enough with this selective faux-outrage.

__________________
Quote:
"Kevin Fiege built this in a cave! With a box of scraps!."

Last edited by Flint Marko; 07-12-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #314
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 16,252
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

I’m actually mad hyped for this one. On one hand, I feel like it’s long overdue, but on the other, I feel like now is actually the perfect time now that they’ve let the anticipation build.

This is going to be sick. A full on spy thriller from Marvel is going to be a big hit. Can’t wait

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #315
jmc
away for a while
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Down Under
Posts: 31,773
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Is there anticipation there? We've had half a dozen films with Black Widow already. It's hard to build up to something when we've seen it so often.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #316
Speed Force
There was an idea...
 
Speed Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
So I get on twitter to check how this news is being received and about half of the what I'm seeing are people trashing Scarlett for taking a transgender role and saying this is terrible timing for Disney to announce this news because Scarlett is now "problematic" and "cancelled" or whatever, but.....

Can someone please explain to me why this wasn't an issue with Jared Leto or Jeffrey Tambor also played a trans person? Leto won a ****ing Oscar and now Scarlett is getting chewed a new one? Have I missed something?
Part of it is because of her comments after people complained and I'm not sure about Leto or Tambor, but the person ScarJo is portraying is a real person so there could be a difference there? Dunno. I can't stand that
side of Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
This has always felt like this weird step child of a film that’s being made out of obligation to Scarlet than anything else. The fact they went through 70 directors frankly says to me they’ve never had any solid idea as to what they wanted to do with this. It being a prequel also says alot. On top of that, I really don’t think there is much call for a Black Widow film as what has been suggested online because I don’t think she’s ever been that interesting a character as everyone else around her. To me anyway both her and Hawkeye are supporting characters.
I wouldn't hold the "70 directors" thing against them. Doesn't mean they didn't know where they were going with it, especially since Scarlett pushed for her to direct.

I'm sorta on the same page though. I'm not one clamoring for a Black Widow movie but I'm not against it either. Maybe her solo film will give her the chance to shine and she was a highlight of Iron Man 2.

I like the idea of a Black Widow prequel with Hawkeye, Fury and maybe Winter Soldier or
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Ghost

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #317
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Zarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,761
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Scarlett's is just a year removed from a whitewashed lead role with this same director, and is probably held to a higher standard as well due to her being outspoken on social issues. I'm certain there's outrage regarding this casting that may not be warranted, but it's an important issue to discuss.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #318
jmc
away for a while
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Down Under
Posts: 31,773
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Force View Post
I wouldn't hold the "70 directors" thing against them. Doesn't mean they didn't know where they were going with it, especially since Scarlett pushed for her to direct.

I'm sorta on the same page though. I'm not one clamoring for a Black Widow movie but I'm not against it either. Maybe her solo film will give her the chance to shine and she was a highlight of Iron Man 2.

I like the idea of a Black Widow prequel with Hawkeye, Fury and maybe Winter Soldier or
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Ghost
It would have to be something beyond being some type of spy flick to get me interested. I've seen every MCU film in theatre but I could easily wait to watch BW at home on Netflix. IMO this the first MCU film that could easily be skippable, especially if it's a prequel.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #319
MasterCat
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 572
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
IMO this the first MCU film that could easily be skippable, especially if it's a prequel.
Right. Nothing so far has really been skippable except Iron Man 3. Even the horrible Thor: TDW that I've only watched once, I remember that the MacGuffin was important to Infinity War.

MasterCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #320
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian
 
random_havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,614
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

I was really hoping for this movie that they'd have it set in modern day with someone coming after her or her old contacts or something and it would be connected to her past so that they could still cover her past but in substantial flashbacks.
They did a story in the comics where she'd given chips to people she owed for wrongs she'd done while an assassin. I think a variation of that would've been great.

For all those doubting though, just remember how much Marvel and Feige have proven themselves. Also, Winter Soldier was very much a spy movie and it was arguably the best Marvel film so far. I'm confident his movie will be good.

__________________
Fox's Marvel movies: Good, great, awful, ok, even more awful, awful, SO awful, good, terrible, Surprisingly good, Terrible, good...
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #321
Speed Force
There was an idea...
 
Speed Force's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
I was really hoping for this movie that they'd have it set in modern day with someone coming after her or her old contacts or something and it would be connected to her past so that they could still cover her past but in substantial flashbacks.
They did a story in the comics where she'd given chips to people she owed for wrongs she'd done while an assassin. I think a variation of that would've been great.

For all those doubting though, just remember how much Marvel and Feige have proven themselves. Also, Winter Soldier was very much a spy movie and it was arguably the best Marvel film so far. I'm confident his movie will be good.
I was hoping it'd be modern day and as far as I'm concerned there's still a possibility.

I do think there are some cool things they can do with a prequel though now that I've been thinking about it.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #322
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
KRYPTON INC.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 56,313
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

If we get to see the "red in her ledger" this will be worth it even more. I think an interesting take would be to have her in a way be the villain in her own film. Given what we know of how she and Clint met it would be interesting to see her being chased by intel agencies as much of a legend as the Winter Soldier.

__________________
My father. 1946-2014

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ To Be Continued A Fanboy Podcast: THE INCREDIBLES 2 Spoiler Review Discussion.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #323
Hammer!
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,097
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

Makes it three straight years Marvel has a woman as the lead/co-lead.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:14 AM   #324
Yellow Cyclone
Pessimist
 
Yellow Cyclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,114
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

i'd say bucky is all but confirmed for this

hopefully hawkeye as well for supporting

__________________
Grossman takes the snap, steps back. Looks left, looks right, nobody is open! OH HELL HE'S JUST GOING TO THROW DEEP!
Yellow Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:28 AM   #325
Flash525
Side-Kick
 
Flash525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,130
Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

I'm glad it's a prequel, but at the same time, I couldn't care less about whether it actually happens or not. There's a whole batch of MCU films I'd rather see in place of a Black Widow solo - regardless of when it's set. I'll echo what's been said already, but short of servicing Johannsson, what's the actual deal here? It'll just be an espionage film within the MCU.

I mean... wow? It's (seemingly) a film for the sake of making a film. It's not because of the actress either - at this state in the game, I wouldn't want a Hawkeye or Falcon solo either, just because it doesn't provide a purpose. We know who the characters are, we know enough about their background, why do we need prequels?

The exception to prequels is if they're dealing with new characters (like Captain Marvel) that they wish to introduce. There's no benefit or purpose behind a prequel film for an existing-established character.

__________________
RAGE | GREED | FEAR | WILL | HOPE | COMPASSION | LOVE
Flash525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.