Default Re: The Official Metroid Thread

source: GI

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass

That article is complete nonsense.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #28
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I'm still baffled that Nintendo hasn't announced a new main series title (starring Samus). I liked the gameplay elements of Mother M, but with an optional FPS mode that you can actually move in. Also BRAND NEW power-ups. Please don't make a sorry excuse to strip Samus of her abilities. And no voice acting.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #29
Travesty
Side-Kick

I seriously have no clue why they haven't given us a new 2D version with updated graphics on the 3DS? It seems like such a no-brainer.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #30
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

The free fan remake of Metroid 2 (called AM2R - 'Another Metroid 2 Remake') released today.

It's now been 30 years since the release of the original Metroid on the Famicom. More than a few video game websites are writing about it today.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 08-06-2016 at 04:13 PM.
MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #31
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

It's been awhile since I followed that project, so I may check it out. It's the one where Samus exterminates all the Metroid and saves the baby one, right?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #32
zenith16
Side-Kick

Metroid Composer Shares Special Message For The Game’s 30th Anniversary. August 7, 2016 . 5:30pm

On August 6th thirty years ago, the action-adventure game Metroid first released in Japan.
To celebrate this momentous event, the game’s composer and sound designer, Hirokazu “Hip” Tanaka has shared a special message.
“Knowing that even after thirty years the game is still supported by all sorts of people from around the world is […]
4 comments Read >

Quote:

On August 6th thirty years ago, the action-adventure game Metroid first released in Japan.

To celebrate this momentous event, the game’s composer and sound designer, Hirokazu “Hip” Tanaka has shared a special message.

“Knowing that even after thirty years the game is still supported by all sorts of people from around the world is a continuing source of courage for me as I continue to compose music, and gives me the confidence to believe in my own abilities, and push me forward,” Tanaka said.

He then went on to thank the many fans of the series, hoping they “will all continue to enjoy playing it.”

You can read Tanaka’s full message in the following image

In addition, Tanaka also prepared a special medley of music using sounds from the original Metroid game for the NES, which you can listen to below.

https://soundcloud.com/hip_tanaka

Read more stories about Metroid on Siliconera.
source: Siliconera

Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #33
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
It's been awhile since I followed that project, so I may check it out. It's the one where Samus exterminates all the Metroid and saves the baby one, right?
Yeah that's Metroid 2. The remake is really good. Very few complaints. It's a reimagining in the same way that Zero Mission was a reimagining of the original Metroid. The Metroids are decently tough to beat and there's surprise boss fights as well.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #34
zenith16
Side-Kick

Just saw this now on game informer. and game informer said this in their our take (this game informer's words)

Quote:
Our Take
Nintendo is still selling the original Metroid II on 3DS for $4. It'll be quite interesting to see if the publisher lets this fan effort slide or takes steps to shut it down.
If this is something you're interested in, you might not want to sleep on it. The plug could get pulled at any moment.
source: GI

Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #35
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

I actually got AM2R before the take down. It's a hell of a lot better than anything Nintendo has done with the IP in years.

Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:09 AM   #36
zenith16
Side-Kick

sorry nothing new on the up coming Metriod for the switch yet.

Metroid Developers Discuss Why They Decided To Make Samus Aran A Woman. December 2, 2016 . 9:30am

Metroid director Yoshio Sakamoto and character designer Hiroji Kiyotake sat down to discuss everything that went into creating Metroid, including their decision to make Samus Aran a woman.

71 comments Read >

Quote:

The NES Classic Edition series of interviews has been ongoing, featuring classic Nintendo games and the developers behind them. The final interview has now been shared by Nintendo, and this time the spotlight is on the original Metroid.

Director Yoshio Sakamoto and character designer Hiroji Kiyotake sat down to discuss everything that went into creating Metroid, including their ultimate decision to make Samus Aran a woman and how shocked players were to discover Samus’s identity by the end of the game.

Here’s an excerpt from that specific part of the interview.
How did you decide to make Samus Aran a woman?

Sakamoto: Once we entered the final stage of development, we started talking about having different endings depending on how long it took players to clear the game. We wanted to prepare a reward for people who cleared it more quickly.

Kiyotake: We wondered what would surprise everyone and talked about removing Samus’s helmet.

Sakamoto: Then someone said, “It would be a shocker if Samus turned out to be a woman!” And everyone thought that would be interesting and wanted to do it, so we decided it right away.

Kiyotake: Yeah, we decided that in a flash. Back then, people played games over and over, so we wanted to give a reward for playing through quickly. Then we decided to put in four endings, with Samus removing her helmet or her suit and so forth.

As they played, everyone thought Samus was a tough, musclebound guy, but they learned in the end that Samus was a woman.

Sakamoto: People who played it back then were shocked. And even now people talk about it like a kind of legend. (laughs)

To read more from the lengthy and insightful interview with Kiyotake and Sakamoto, you can go here.

Read more stories about Metroid & NES Classic Edition on Siliconera.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #37
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

3D Metroid Sequel Coming to Switch in 2018?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/03/31/3d-metroid-nintendo-switch

Quote:
Nintendo of America's president Reggie Fils-Aimé hinted today that a rare treat was in store for Metroid fans this coming E3...
So they're pulling an Alien Isolation style game with Samus's daughter!

Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #38
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:

3D Metroid Sequel Coming to Switch in 2018?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/03/31/3d-metroid-nintendo-switch

So they're pulling an Alien Isolation style game with Samus's daughter!
really bad April fools joke

Old 04-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #39
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

It's only bad... If you're a Metroid fan.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #40
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
It's only bad... If you're a Metroid fan.
Metroid is my favorite Nintendo IP. It takes everything Nintendo does well and puts it into a single game... and yet, Nintendo feels the need to **** on it.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #41
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So you don't want stealth missions where you play as Amari Aran who is a spy of a rebellion against the a corrupt Galactic Federation and her missing mother, Samus Aran as she fights off Androids, Space Pirates, and a new breed of Metroid created by the GF to ensure complacency while she gains the familiar power ups from past Metroid games and new power ups unique to it?

Old 04-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #42
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
So you don't want stealth missions where you play as Amari Aran who is a spy of a rebellion against the a corrupt Galactic Federation and her missing mother, Samus Aran as she fights off Androids, Space Pirates, and a new breed of Metroid created by the GF to ensure complacency while she gains the familiar power ups from past Metroid games and new power ups unique to it?
Not at all. I want Nintendo to hire the creator of Axiom Verge and up the budget. I don't need gimmicks, I just need classic Metroid gameplay at the core first and foremost.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #43
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

How dare you disagree with my hokey and unoriginal fanfic!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #44
zenith16
Side-Kick

Don't get you hopes up too high. this might be for something else.

Deus Ex Composer Is Teaming Up With Metroid Prime Dev Retro Studios For A Secret Project. May 7, 2017 . 5:30pm

Alexander Brandon, composer of Deus Ex, Thief, Unreal, and the most recent Torment: Tides of Numeria, has announced that he is working with Retro Studios on a project.

17 comments Read >
Quote:
Alexander Brandon, composer of Deus Ex, Thief, Unreal, and the most recent Torment: Tides of Numeria, has announced that he is working with Retro Studios on a project. Brandon said this in a recent post on his Facebook page:
“I’m currently working with Retro Studios here in Austin. As much as I’d like to say more (except the work is incredibly exciting and the team is awesome), I can’t.”

In the past, Retro Studios has worked on a number of Nintendo games, including the Donkey Kong Country series on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS as well as the Metroid Prime trilogy on GameCube and Wii.

The last title the studio worked on was Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and many are anxious to know what their next project will be. There is a possibility that we will find out what the project Alexander Brandon is working on with them will be revealed at this year’s E3.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #45
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Please!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #46
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

One can hope, though Nintendo seems to have a grudge against Retro Studios.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #47
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Not really, it's not like they haven't had projects to work on. They appear to have a grudge with this IP more than anything else likely due to the failure of Other M.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #48
Travesty
Side-Kick

They don't have a grudge against Retro Studios, they're partners. Every game under Retro Studios has been co-produced for Nintendo. They did the Metroid Prime series, the new Donkey Kong games, and they also did Mario Kart 7.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #49
Matt Mortem
Big Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
What? How do you figure? Retro has had releases on all of Nintendo's consoles since Gamecube and have been working on something for Nintendo recently. So far as I know they're a second part dev for Nintendo. No beef there.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #50
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Nonetheless, Nintendo has done their best since to pretend the Metroid Prime games never happened. Comments about timelines that drop them, etc. Maybe its just the Metroid division that hates Retro, I don't know.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote