The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Aquaman > Aquaman

Old 06-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #51
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Default Re: James Wan WILL direct Aquaman

I care about the right director being on the right project and I like the idea of Wan doing Aquaman. Could I be wrong and Wan be wrong for the gig? Sure but on paper I like him being the director. Whoever doesn't? Fine, that's your opinion.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #52
NoLaNitE007
Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?

Yeah baby Yeah! Wan officially directing!

He is a hot commodity...especially with Sony wanting him for RoboTech as well.

Get it going!

Plenty of time time to hash out the story and script and hire a solid crew to work with Wan on this puppy!

The King will Rise! #UNITETHESEVEN!

Last edited by NoLaNitE007; 06-04-2015 at 12:20 PM.
NoLaNitE007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #53
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

James Wan ‏@creepypuppet 7 min
"For ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of time.” - H.P. Lovecraft #worldcreation

"I think the whole thing with Kryptonite is that it's an easy way out, but if you want to destroy Superman, you BREAK his heart"
-Hans Zimmer
John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #54
NoLaNitE007
Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
"For ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of time.” - H.P. Lovecraft #worldcreation

YES! He is already into it!

Old 06-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #55
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Well, I already liked him, but now he gained my respect for quoting Lovecraft.

"At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock."

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
KillerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #56
NoLaNitE007
Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Wayne View Post
Nice to see this confirmed. I hope the story is done well.

Me too!

I have confidence in the story and script being done well for a reluctant Arthur dealing with a dilemma between the surface dwellers and trying to keep the Atlanteans from declaring war.

Plenty of time for the script to be worked on between now and the actual release date of 2018.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #57
TheNextNolan22
Hurting Really REALLY BAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin32 View Post
I am surprised and a bit horrified that the response to this news, at least in this thread, has been so positive. James Wan makes vapid box office fodder. There is not one great film in his oeuvre, and he has been active for over a decade now. Big box office returns do not necessarily align with quality filmmaking. In no way does this development bode well for those hoping for an engaging Aquaman movie.
You say this as if this is all fact. Well it's not.

Quote:
Him quoting Lovecraft gives him even more 'like' points from me.

Man of Steel (Zack Snyder)/ Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder)/ Suicide Squad (David Ayer)/ Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins)/Justice League (Zack Snyder)/The Flash/Aquaman (James Wan) /Shazam!/Cyborg/Green Lantern
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #58
Mrs. Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWolf View Post
Well, I already liked him, but now he gained my respect for quoting Lovecraft.
Tell me about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Me too!

I have confidence in the story and script being done well for a reluctant Arthur dealing with a dilemma between the surface dwellers and trying to keep the Atlanteans from declaring war.

Plenty of time for the script to be worked on between now and the actual release date of 2018.
Same here. I like the story idea. And Wan being a good director can do wonders with a good script. I can't wait to see how Atlantis will look.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #59
Silvermoth
Avenger

That lovecraft quote is pretty spot on. He really is the perfect guy for the role

Old 06-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #60
TheNextNolan22

If the Trench in the Aquaman movie is inspired by Lovecraftian horror.....

Man of Steel (Zack Snyder)/ Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder)/ Suicide Squad (David Ayer)/ Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins)/Justice League (Zack Snyder)/The Flash/Aquaman (James Wan) /Shazam!/Cyborg/Green Lantern
Old 06-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #61
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

I want Wan to use his horror background to his advantage.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #62
Mrs. Wayne

I never thought of Aquaman having a touch of horror but the more I think about it, the more I like it. And I hope nothing like what happened with Michelle MacLaren happens here. I want this pick to stay.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #63
Sawyer
High King

I think Wan probably has the leg-up on MacLaren, just due to having such extensive film experience (and especially on a blockbuster like Furious 7). MacLaren was really more of a gamble in this field.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #64
Guts
Gul

Quote:
Warner Brothers gets a director that is known for his horror movies to direct Aquaman and he decides to draw inspiration from an author that is known for an aquatic monster.

Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #65
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I think Wan probably has the leg-up on MacLaren, just due to having such extensive film experience (and especially on a blockbuster like Furious 7). MacLaren was really more of a gamble in this field.
Also Wan already has a great relationship with WB because of The Conjuring.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #66
TheNextNolan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
Warner Brothers gets a director that is known for his horror movies to direct Aquaman and he decides to draw inspiration from an author that is known for an aquatic monster.
I have a good feeling we'll get "horror master James Wan"+"blockbuster action director James Wan."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Not to mention he has a strong history with WB.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #67
Assassin32
Or: Rōnin Iscariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
You say this as if this is all fact. Well it's not.
And yet it is every bit as valid as the opposing opinion.

Assassin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #68
Guts
Gul

I haven't seen Furious 7, but I liked Dead Silence, Insidous, and the conjuring.

Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #69
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin32 View Post
And yet it is every bit as valid as the opposing opinion.
Are you going to go discuss something that you like now?

And I'll totally take back this post if you aren't yet another one of those pessimistic people who constantly has to be a buzz-killington and educate us on what WB/DC are doing wrong now.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 06-04-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #70
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

Full press release.
Quote:
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that director James Wan (“Furious Seven,” “The Conjuring”) will take the helm of the Studio’s upcoming Aquaman feature film, with Jason Momoa (“Game of Thrones”) starring as the sea-dwelling Super Hero. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Silverman stated, “We’ve been so lucky to have worked with James, first on New Line’s ‘The Conjuring’ and now on their upcoming ‘The Conjuring 2,’ and are thrilled to have him on board as we continue to expand our DC slate. The Aquaman film will be a major tentpole picture for us and James’s span of work has proven him able to take on any manner of project, bringing his incredible creative talent and unique voice to the material.”
Wan will also be supervising the script by Kurt Johnstad (“300,” “300: Rise of an Empire”). The film is being produced by Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder and Zack Snyder.
Roven said, “James is not only a great storyteller but can make action truly explode on the big screen, and Jason has a dynamic presence that commands your attention. Together, they will bring an undeniable vitality and energy to this character as he headlines his first feature film.”
An icon for over 70 years, Aquaman is the King of the Seven Seas. This reluctant ruler of Atlantis, caught between a surface world constantly ravaging the sea and Atlanteans looking to lash out in revolt, is committed to protecting the entire globe.
Currently set for a 2018 release, the film is based on characters appearing in comic books published by DC Entertainment.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom....#.VXCrDVLmgxL

"I think the whole thing with Kryptonite is that it's an easy way out, but if you want to destroy Superman, you BREAK his heart"
-Hans Zimmer
John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #71
Assassin32
Or: Rōnin Iscariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Are you going to go discuss something that you like now?

And I'll totally take back this post if you aren't yet another one of those pessimistic people who constantly has to be a buzz-killington and educate us on what WB/DC are doing wrong now.
I don't understand the initial question here. I have made it clear that I am not optimistic about James Wan's hiring, and, given the thread title, that is all that should be under discussion here. Shall I go off-topic?

I would consider myself a realist with regard to this Aquaman film. The director has a filmography populated with mediocre to substandard horror fare. He simply has not made good films. Even the original Saw, which made him famous, was a fortuitous product of its time and does not hold up to repeat viewings. Wan is a certified hack. The studios hire him because he makes films that are salable products--not art. Be wary of any director deemed suitable to helm the Fast & Furious franchise, even the 21st century version of John Singleton.

Quite simply, I would rather see one great Aquaman film over a product tailored to spawn a host of money-grubbing sequels. And I cannot realistically expect that with James Wan involved.

Assassin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #72
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Don't watch the film then.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #73
Wally_West
Side-Kick

https://instagram.com/p/3heYB2vHNY/

Wally_West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #74
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I hope Wan gets a good team to bring this all to life. Both Wonder Woman and Aquaman have the same hurdles a Thor film had. Like the Odinson they both require whole other worlds and cultures that have to be brought to life and be both fantastical yet relatable. Production design and costume as well as the general tenor the world they create onscreen is a big part of that when it comes to the audience going along for the ride in a big way. I thought for a long time that Thor would just be too out there and funky for a mainstream audience but Marvel showed that it could be done and made stars out of Hiddleston and Hemmsworth in the process. AM and WW are in the same place to a certain degree and hopefully for Aquaman, Wan puts a team in place to bring this to life in a compelling and exciting way. I hope he's up to the stylization I think an AM film needs to have to get across the epic fantasy elements.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #75
TheNextNolan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_West View Post