The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #76
Luke234
Banned User

Default Re: Rank the Main Antagonists of the MCU by Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octopus View Post
lol agreed. That why MCU better because they make good characters and make you care. They not even have to be famous characters from comics.
That's the more popular opinion and that's very cool for you.

Luke234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #77
Luke234
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
Dude, what is your fixation with Howard the Duck. He had zero impact on the story. All it was, was an Easter Egg.

Since you seem like a dog with a bone.

Civil War, TWS and Doctor Strange off the top of my head were a lot more serious in tone.

And lastly, I'm trying to help you not sound ignorant. Going around making comments about movies you haven't seen will do that.
See you were making a point and you had to be passive aggressive.
Civil War. The war in which nobody dies? Lol

Old 01-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #78
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

There you go again. Another movie you never watched and you're quick to have an opinion about it.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #79
Luke234
Banned User

[QUOTE=Erzengel;34700319]There you go again. Another movie you never watched and you're quick to have an opinion about it.[/QUOTE

There I go being right again. Nobody dies.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #80
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

People do die in that movie.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #81
Luke234
Banned User

Howard the duck was also not meant to be over the top. It wasn't exaggerated at all so as to not be taken seriously.
Got it. The Duck scene is to be taken seriously.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #82
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke234 View Post
I don't have the kind of time on my hands to give a leap of faith that marvel movies ( after 6 or 7 of them will be more like MOS and BVS when everyone I've ever talked to says they are nothing alike.
Yeah, the laughs for the MCU are intentional, and the character development is earned, while in the DCEU, the big character development moments generally become memes and get unintentional laughs. That's why they're nothing alike. This kind of character development allows MCU to have real meaningful stakes, and allows you to care about people that died in a way that the DCEU can't, because it's totally different. Going in reverse order, the Ancient One, Peggy Carter/The Starks, Janet van Dyne, Quicksilver, The Nova Corps/Groot 1.0, Jasper Sitwell, Frigga, Maya Hansen, Coulson, and Erskine. These are characters that stay dead, whose deaths matter to the characters, and to the plot. These are not funny meme moments. These are not moments in which logical people ask "Oh, why didn't they just do X?" These are not characters whose deaths are going to be gotten over for the next big team up movie. This is nothing like the DCEU which expects to get all torn up about one of the stars of the Justice League, who's promotion has already started from the title card of BvS. Unlike the DCEU, the MCU's fake deaths are to characters who, conceivably, could stay dead.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #83
Luke234
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Yeah, the laughs for the MCU are intentional, and the character development is earned, while in the DCEU, the big character development moments generally become memes and get unintentional laughs. That's why they're nothing alike. This kind of character development allows MCU to have real meaningful stakes, and allows you to care about people that died in a way that the DCEU can't, because it's totally different. Going in reverse order, the Ancient One, Peggy Carter/The Starks, Janet van Dyne, Quicksilver, The Nova Corps/Groot 1.0, Jasper Sitwell, Frigga, Maya Hansen, Coulson, and Erskine. These are characters that stay dead, whose deaths matter to the characters, and to the plot. These are not funny meme moments. These are not moments in which logical people ask "Oh, why didn't they just do X?" These are not characters whose deaths are going to be gotten over for the next big team up movie. This is nothing like the DCEU which expects to get all torn up about one of the stars of the Justice League, who's promotion has already started from the title card of BvS. Unlike the DCEU, the MCU's fake deaths are to characters who, conceivably, could stay dead.
Well Coulson and the Nick Fury non fake out. I feel the same way only flipped.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #84
Luke234
Banned User

Well I don't know about the humor. I don't think MOS and BVS used much. I know that's a very popular criticism.
But this plays to my tastes.
It's not that I can't find fault with D.C. movies. The whole glasses disguise is beyond stupid to me and that he could hold a reporter job and leave randomly. It's dumb.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #85
Luke234
Banned User

I think it's bizarre for al the criticism the stupid disguise is never mentioned.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #86
Snaaaaake!
Banned User

Phase One
- Iron Monger (Iron Man) 7.5/10
- Abomination (The Incredible Hulk) 8/10
- Whiplash (Iron Man 2) 4/10
- Loki (Thor, The Avengers) 8/10
- Red Skull (Captain America: The First Avenger) 6.5/10

Phase Two
- Aldrich Killian (Iron Man 3) 0/10
- Malekith (Thor: The Dark World) 4/10
- Alexander Pierce (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) 8/10
- Ronan (Guardians of the Galaxy) 7/10
- Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron) 7/10
- Yellowjacket (Ant-Man) 7/10

Phase Three
- Helmut Zemo (Captain America: Civil War) 8/10
- Kaecilius (Doctor Strange) 7.5/10

Note: All of these villains could've and should've been better but they're no where near as bad as some people make them out to be......(except for the crap in IM3)

Last edited by Snaaaaake!; 01-18-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Snaaaaake! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #87
Snaaaaake!
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
Err.....these comments, aren't my type of comments.

I need to find better friends.

Last edited by Snaaaaake!; 01-18-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Snaaaaake! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #88
Doctor Octopus
Banned User

Quote:
That's the more popular opinion and that's very cool for you.
Thanks but I don't mind if opinion popular or not.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:54 AM   #89
Luke234
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octopus View Post
Thanks but I don't mind if opinion popular or not.
I preface my comments with stuff like that to potentially tone down the anger. Not needed. Cool.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #90
BoredGuy
Chairman of the Bored

okay okay, time to stop feeding the troll
we have ignore lists for a reason

Old 01-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #91
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Who wants to bet on how soon this guy's gonna be banned?

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #92
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Well Coulson and the Nick Fury non fake out. I feel the same way only flipped.
You feel the same way? So you make memes of MCU non-fake out deaths that happen every MCU film over the last five years? You respond to the MCU deaths with "Well, why didn't they just do this and avoid all that?" Because I'd love to hear your simple explanations to avoid the deaths of the characters who died in whatever movies you've actually seen.

Superman's death felt like real meaningful stakes to you? What were the stakes, exactly, in him dying?

If not, then no, you don't feel like I feel only flipped. You feel like the DCEU fakeout deaths are good and possibly just ignore the MCU permadeaths because... whatever. I feel very differently.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #93
Luke234
Banned User

If superman doesn't make sure Doomsday dies, the planet is over. That's the highest of stakes. But I figure you know this so I think I'm not understanding.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #94
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

You're talking about the stakes on Doomsday's death. Superman dying didn't save the world, Doomsday dying did. If Superman had died and Doomsday had not the world would not be saved, so his death didn't save the world. If Doomsday had died and Superman lived, the planet would be saved so Superman's death didn't save the world. I'm asking about the stakes of Superman dying. What did Superman lose by dying? What did he gain by getting himself killed instead of giving the spear to the super strong weapon-loving chick?

Simple questions like these are why people like Loki over Doomsday. Loki's sacrifice was built up to, and changed him as a character in a way that made sense. Zod's death was supposed to be a big deal, but it comes out of almost nowhere and he just comes back as a bigger grayer killing machine. No real change to either character, they just take a break until the next film, which they would have done anyway. If Superman taking a nap he didn't need to take is gripping drama to you, then no wonder you couldn't get through Thor. There was too much buildup and groundwork for actual character development and you don't seem to have any need for that stuff. If the director says "this is the only way" it doesn't matter to you that they showed you three other ways, you're entertained.

Zod/Doomsday is the best villain from the DCEU (not much competition), and I'd put him over someone like Malekith, about on par with Whiplash, as far as a character that is moderately menacing despite their cartoonishness hidden behind dark colors. But if you can sit through Eisenluthor and say "Ah, here's a menacing young genius I should take seriously." Then Justin Hammer is going to Blow. Your. Mind.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #95
Luke234
Banned User

I respect your opinions. I'll just address some if that's ok for now. What did Superman lose by dying? I would answer, " his life." I thought the film made it clear that prior to picking up the spear he was basically assumed he's probably gonna die if he's gonna get close enough to make sure he kills the thing.
You're right. The fact that Superman died , as a result of his sacrifice doesn't save the world. I think I'm missing what you mean here. My bad.
The drama, and weight of it all is I see it as an overall story about a dude that misrepresented himself from every living being for 33 years. That's terribly lonely and you live a liar even if it's for good reason. That blows. He finally finds a purpose, but a ****load of people get killed as a result of him trying to save the world.
Fast forward in time, he's a controversial figure, the world is turning on him. People are still dying as a result of his revelation of who he is. People hate him. It hasn't worked out. He's pretty alone in the world.
He still in the end considers it "his world",loves the people and will protect us whether they liked or hated. He makes the ultimate sacrafice.
That's why I love these two movies. I find them tragically beautiful. It's also why I understand people hated them. If that's a crazy departure from the comics, and If I read comics, I'd probably be bummed too.
They HAVE been mostly grim movies. That plays to my tastes. But the end giving the scene of hope.
I really think if the two movies as one long story. I try to forget Suicide Squad happened. I didn't care for it.)
In all that I'm not sure I even answered your question, or one of them.
Sorry for the long rant.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #96
Speed Force
There was an idea...

The only villains I didn't like were Malekith, Ronan, and to an extent; Whiplash.

Kaecilius was wasted though. Extremely unmemorable.

Phase 3 going forward should be better. Vulture sounds like he'll be great, Hela, Kilmonger, Thanos...

I've said it before but I think giving certain villains around 5 more minutes of screen time would go a long way.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #97
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parker View Post
The only villains I didn't like were Malekith, Ronan, and to an extent; Whiplash.

Kaecilius was wasted though. Extremely unmemorable.

Phase 3 going forward should be better. Vulture sounds like he'll be great, Hela, Kilmonger, Thanos...

I've said it before but I think giving certain villains around 5 more minutes of screen time would go a long way.
How memorable is he in the comics? Like, how many hardcore Kaecilius fans were coming out of the woodwork being totally psyched by him showing up in Doctor Strange? Mordo? Yes. Dormammu? Yes. But nobody was really looking forward to Kaecilius.

And the fact that he was turned into a Mindless One isn't anything wasted when Doctor Strange sequels can use Shuma Gorath, Silver Dagger, Cthon, Tyrannus, Umar and Nightmare. Those bad guys have a fanbase. Nobody cared about Kaecilius until he was announced as the villain. Besides, it was an origin story.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #98
Speed Force
There was an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
How memorable is he in the comics? Like, how many hardcore Kaecilius fans were coming out of the woodwork being totally psyched by him showing up in Doctor Strange? Mordo? Yes. Dormammu? Yes. But nobody was really looking forward to Kaecilius.

And the fact that he was turned into a Mindless One isn't anything wasted when Doctor Strange sequels can use Shuma Gorath, Silver Dagger, Cthon, Tyrannus, Umar and Nightmare. Those bad guys have a fanbase. Nobody cared about Kaecilius until he was announced as the villain. Besides, it was an origin story.
Well, yeah, he's not well known in the comics. I probably should have said Mads was wasted more so than Kaecilius.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #99
WayneStark
Banned User

Phase One
- Loki
- Whiplash
- Red Skull
- Iron Monger
- Abomination

Phase Two
- Aldrich Killian
- Alexander Pierce
- Malekith
- Yellowjacket
- Ultron
- Ronan

I was hoping for them to start Homecoming off with a bang!
I wanted either Venom, Mysterio or Hobgoblin.
That said, Vulture still does look pretty awesome.

WayneStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #100
Loki882
Side-Kick

Phase ONE:

1. Loki (Thor)-9-9.5/10.
2. Iron Monger (Iron Man)-8.5/10.
3. Abomination (The Incredible Hulk)-8/10.
4. Red Skull (Captain America: TFA)-7.5/10.
5. Whiplash (Iron Man 2)-6.5/10 (mostly for Mickey Rourke's performance).

Phase Two:

1. Alexander Pierce (Captain America: TWS)-9-9.2/10.
2. Ultron (Avengers: AOU)-8.5/10.
3. Ronan the Accuser (Guardians of the Galaxy)-7/10 (mostly due to Lee Pace's performance).
4. Yellowjacket (Ant-Man)-6.5/10 (mostly due to Corey Stoll's performance).
5. Aldrich Killian (Iron Man 3)-5/10.
6. Malekith the Accursed (Thor: TDW)-BORING!!!!!

Phase Three:

-Helmut Zemo (Captain America: CW)-8/10.
-Kaecilius (Doctor Strange)-7/10.

Hopefully Hela, Vulture, Ayesha, Killmonger, and Thanos will be better/more memorable. They certainly have all the potential to be.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote