The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Iron Fist

Old 03-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Kane52630
New Cydonian User

Default Season 1, Episode 8 "The Blessing of Many Fractures" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Episode 8: The Blessing of Many Fractures

Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 8 "The Blessing of Many Fractures" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
So this was Lewis Tan's one and only appearance as Zhou Cheng. His gimmick was that he was a drunken master style and had a scarred face. A bit of a wise-cracking attitude. But Danny might've pummeled his face to death. Dunno if he's still alive or not.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Default Re: Season 1, Episode 8 "The Blessing of Many Fractures" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
So this was Lewis Tan's one and only appearance as Zhou Cheng. His gimmick was that he was a drunken master style and had a scarred face. A bit of a wise-cracking attitude. But Danny might've pummeled his face to death. Dunno if he's still alive or not.
Do they show any CGI?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

A certain character needs to return if there's a season 2. He has too much of a rivalry with Colleen in the comics. Plus we never saw what happens when he stops drinking and his power is no longer, "suppressed."

Last edited by Dasher10; 03-17-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Do they show any CGI?
No.

- CM Punk
Old 03-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

looks like a certain character was merged with The Beast. Interesting if an Elektra series happens.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
Heretic
Side-Kick

It's hilarious that Iron Fist trained his entire life to destroy The Hand, but doesn't want to kill any of them. The guy not only lacks common sense, I'm beginning to doubt that he spent 5 minutes training to be a warrior.

And apparently the popular choice to play Iron Fist was the guy playing a drunk ninja?

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

That Drunken Hand guy was amazing

Leo Zelinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
It's hilarious that Iron Fist trained his entire life to destroy The Hand, but doesn't want to kill any of them. The guy not only lacks common sense, I'm beginning to doubt that he spent 5 minutes training to be a warrior.

And apparently the popular choice to play Iron Fist was the guy playing a drunk ninja?
All because Claire says killing is bad .

- CM Punk
Old 03-18-2017, 02:38 AM   #10
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Gotta love them old kung fu movies...
It was so cool seeing the drunken master. The way they set him up was badass, at first you think he's a drunk homeless dude but that's not all he really is. His wisecracks were pretty good too! That character was interesting I hope this isnt the last we see of him.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:14 AM   #11
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

I think his "You think your better than me?" Line was hella meta

Leo Zelinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by righthooksrus86 View Post
Gotta love them old kung fu movies...
It was so cool seeing the drunken master. The way they set him up was badass, at first you think he's a drunk homeless dude but that's not all he really is. His wisecracks were pretty good too! That character was interesting I hope this isnt the last we see of him.
Being a big fan of Jackie Chan and his Drunken Master, this was a cool character, but was anyone else bothered by his accent? I thougt he was dubbed for a minute

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Speed Force
There was an idea...

The show has definitely found it's footing and has really picked up since about episode 4.

The scene between Danny and Ward was nice along with Joy and Ward's scenes this episode. The JJ reference! Can't stand that Lawrence guy though.

Colleen! I thought she was great this episode.

Lewis Tan's character was certainly interesting and Danny's rage is as well.

Not a fan of Gao being responsible for the Rand's death instead of Harold like the comics.

Last edited by Speed Force; 03-18-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #14
Pokkle
Side-Kick

A good episode.
The drunken style was very fun to watch.
His power were reduced/contained by his drink according to what he said, I hope to see him again.

Last edited by Pokkle; 03-18-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Pokkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #15
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

This episode was noteworthy for cool fight scenes. They were all different and all fun (particularly the drunken guy). I also thought the scene on the plane was good.

Four and a Half Stars.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #16
legendkillin
Side-Kick

The sword fight was really good.
I enjoyed the drunken fighter, he was charismatic and seemed authentic.
I liked the Jessica Jones reference.

Madame Gao is so powerful, love that sexy walk she has.

legendkillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
roach
I am the night

So far this episode had the best fighting.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #18
Elayis
Side-Kick

I think the episode was the proverbial straw for me. The RZA episode was good, enough to give the show some credibilty, but this was just nonsense. I hate it when characters monologue, and that’s all anybody did this episode. The stuff withe the Rand exec, Ward and Joy was some of the worst writing I’ve seen on cable TV recently.

Claire’s sanctimonious condescension was out of touch with the realities of Danny’s supernatural world. This is not real life, where everyone is human and has the same weaknesses and shortcomings. There are people who have special powers who cannot b stopped through normal means, and she of all people should know this. K’un Lun has been waging a war with the Hand for centuries (probably longer) and know what is necessary to fight them. Who is she to judge the Iron Fist?

And why is she so banter-y? It's as if she brings out the writers worst tendencies, like she's been transplanted from the movies. That c o c k block (stupid censoring) move with Danny and Colleen was something you'd see in Ant-Man, not the grounded reality of the Netflix shows.

The fight scenes were certainly the best so far, but the drunken fighter irritated me.
The cockney accent, the unwitty banter (which felt out-of-place in this show).
It also didn't make sense that Danny could barely what amounted to a simple bodyguard,
and the callback to his convo with Claire about his rage was poorly done.

The bit with the lost cell phone was weird, too. Just an oddly timed piece of obstruction on the writers part that didn’t have any impact on the story anyway.

It would’ve helped greatly if we knew what Danny’s goals were and why he left K’un Lun. Without that knowledge, the viewers lost when it comes to his motivations and what he’s trying to accomplish. What does he need to overcome? Was he fired from his job, is he on sabbatical? Why is it okay for him to abandon his duties and not follow through on what is expected of him?

I’ll skim through the remaining episodes to see if there’s anything worthwhile, but this is just another of the Netflix shows that hasn’t maintained a respectable quality. Daredevil’s the only one that I’ve watched from beginning to end, and even it has pacing issues and bad writing. What’s different is that that show has a sense of purpose with characters that are always interesting (aside from Karen). It also helped that it had the Kingpin, a central bad guy that Daredevil could focus on. Iron First doesn’t have that.

I hope Defenders is better focused than these standalone series’ have been, with a purpose other existing simply as a product to make money. It’d be a shame for Sigourney Weaver to be wasted in yet another paycheck role.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #19
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
All the Netflix Defenders make a big deal about not killing villains while the Avengers and Guardians kill villains in the movies without a second thought.

It is especially weird to have a no kill policy on zombie ninjas like the hand. Imprisoning immortals for decades/centuries is arguably crueler than killing them.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #20
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I thought the drunken style fight was ok. Though, I didn't think Danny was hurt bad enough to cough up blood. Unless they wanted it to come off that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
All the Netflix Defenders make a big deal about not killing villains while the Avengers and Guardians kill villains in the movies without a second thought.

It is especially weird to have a no kill policy on zombie ninjas like the hand. Imprisoning immortals for decades/centuries is arguably crueler than killing them.
After saying the Iron Fist's mission is to destroy The Hand, I thought Danny would be the most willing to kill out of the Netflix shows.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #21
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

None of you mentioned the Jessica Jones reference: "I hired a private investigator, she's good, when she's sober".

YOUTUBE
I ship Reek and one of the DSs of the Hype

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #22
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
None of you mentioned the Jessica Jones reference: "I hired a private investigator, she's good, when she's sober".
Sure they did! 2 people actually

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #23
Iceman
Infinity War!

I loved the drunken master stuff. The fighting was a bit better overall in this episode too.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #24
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Pretty cool yeah.