Marathoning this in a couple hours!!!!

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #77
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: Iron Fist General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLand View Post
Watching ep 2 now, all right so far but omg why does Danny have to be so infuriatingly stupid? It bugs me so much, it's like he doesn't think about anything he says or does and goes on doing stupid stuff without any plan.
Danny/Finn Jones is my #1 issue with this show. I think Finn Jones was miscast. Cox, Ritter and Colter all sold me in their roles almost immediately. I had some issues with Colter's flat line readings at times but on a whole he did a solid job as Luke. Jones feels like hes struggling to get a hold on his own character and honestly it may be more the writing thats failing him.

But even with bad writing, Finn doesnt sell it. In fight scenes, he makes these silly faces and his body movements reek of an actor who can barely fight. Say what you will about Arrow but Stephen Amell sold you on his badassery and it was obvious that the the actor worked his butt off physically to look convincing in his fight scenes. I dont think Finn is flat out bad by any means but im struggling to warm up to him and buy this version of Danny.

1) AVENGERS: Infinity War 2) The BLACK PANTHER 3) Mission Impossible: Fallout 4) Pacific Rim: Uprising 5) Ready Player One 6) The Equalizer 2 7) Aquaman

Last edited by kguillou; 03-18-2017 at 08:55 AM.
kguillou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #78
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
Danny/Finn Jones is my #1 issue with this show. I think Finn Jones was miscast. Cox, Ritter and Colter all sold me in their roles almost immediately. I had some issues with Colter's flat line readings at times but on a whole he did a solid job as Luke. Jones feels like hes struggling to get a hold on his own character and honestly it may be more the writing thats failing him.

But even with bad writing, Finn doesnt sell it. In fight scenes, he makes these silly faces and his body movements reek of an actor who can barely fight. Say what you will about Arrow but Stephen Amell sold you on his badassery and it was obvious that the the actor worked his butt off physically to look convincing in his fight scenes. I dont think Finn is flat out bad by any means but im struggling to warm up to him and buy this version of Danny.
Exactly. He looks like a kid in college who got stoned all the time and never grew up. I get that may work in the first part of the series, but he looked the same at the end too.

samsnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #79
GeckoMoria
Banned User

I don't care if Amell can fight, he is as wooden as it goes. At least Jones is a solid actor can sell the boy who doesn't have a place in the world just right. Amell never sold the playboy personality of queen convincingly.

GeckoMoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #80
Nathan

Only 9 Episodes in so far, and for the moment I'd rate it a 6/10. There were a few decent fight scenes at the beginning, but it seems like the longer it goes on, the worse and more unconvincing they get. And I'm slowly starting to get annoyed with Danny. I get that he's been away training for 15 years, but you'd think the monks of K'un-Lun would have beaten the naivety out of him with those wooden sticks of theirs.

I still got 4 Episodes to go, and unless those are totally off the chain, I think Netflix might unfortunately have the first dud on their hands. And yeah, the writing is probably at fault the most here, but one of their biggest mistakes might have been not getting an actor with an extensive martial arts background. Nothing is worse than having your immersion broken by the protagonist of show, almost every time he shows up. For someone who underwent the most hardcore training, to become the ultimate living weapon, he looks like a wet noodle. Obviously I am being facetious here, but seriously, he looks like a Yoga instructor.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #81
McSir
Side-Kick

I actually really enjoyed the last four episodes (and episode six). If he's had the costume it would have genuinely felt like Iron fist.

McSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #82
Panacea
Side-Kick

I think the way the series went it made sense that he didn't have it. It's not like he was skulking around in the darkness the way Daredevil does constantly.

Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #83
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoMoria View Post
I don't care if Amell can fight, he is as wooden as it goes. At least Jones is a solid actor can sell the boy who doesn't have a place in the world just right. Amell never sold the playboy personality of queen convincingly.
Prefer Amell. Dunno if that makes Finn Jones worse...

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #84
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I'm up to ep 5, and. . . basically my assessment is "Reviews were overly harsh, but accurate in the nature of the flaws". The opening couple of episodes are just a generally bad introduction. The hero is vague, the villains are vague, the stakes are vague, and there aren't even any gee whiz action sequences. There aren't any parts I'd call specifically bad, just. . . everything is super slow and nothing really happens until the fourth episode. Its all ( slow ) introduction of characters and ill-considered attempts to maintain doubt about whether Danny Rand is crazy. Which, given the audience *knows* he's not crazy. . . its just a poor setup.

Compare this with the Daredevil pilot. By the time the first episode is over, you have a solid handle on Matt, who he is and what he does. You've been introduced to most of the villains, and have interesting teases of what they do. You have meaningful stakes with Karen Page. And you got two impressive fight scenes where Daredevil got to show off his stuff. All the other shows are similar: their first episode is both a strong introduction and a good hook.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #85
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

just wanna say that once the show found its groove for me, I really liked it. Yesterday i watched the first episode and wasn't sure if I wanted to complete it this weekend, or at all really.

But I powered through and I think I'm gonna finish the rest tonight

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #86
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

One thing that really bugged me was that a certain character was said to be emotionally unstable and he's show being so on only three occasions since then but for the most part acts normal and other characters eventually warm up to him instead of running away or keeping him at arm's length. It's a basic storytelling failure. Characters just have really unnatural reactions.

And it's all Scott Buck's fault.

Last edited by Dasher10; 03-18-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Spoilers. Can't edit on my phone since the mobile site reverted to no longer allow spoiler tags
Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #87
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Jesus dude, spoilers

BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #88
Speed Force
There was an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
I think the way the series went it made sense that he didn't have it. It's not like he was skulking around in the darkness the way Daredevil does constantly.
Right. There were only a few instances where it could've made sense for him to have it so far.

Speed Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #89
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
Jesus dude, spoilers
Fixed it. Can't use spoiler tags on my phone because the site reverted to a older layout on mobile devices and the hard drive on my PC died.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #90
McSir
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
No, I agree. I'm just saying, if he had had it, they would have been 10/10 episodes for me.

McSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #91
Darth Mimic
Innocent Bystander

I'd give the series a solid 7.5 out of ten. I thought the acting and action scenes were solid, and there were only a few instances of cringe worthy dialogue.

Darth Mimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #92
Speed Force
There was an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Fixed it. Can't use spoiler tags on my phone because the site reverted to a older layout on mobile devices and the hard drive on my PC died.
It's still not much better..

Old 03-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #93
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parker View Post
It's still not much better..
Went back and fixed it again. Getting my new HDD in the mail next week so hopefully I can use spoiler tags again. That or the mods here can fix the mobile site since the interface got changed yesterday.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #94
Speed Force
There was an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Went back and fixed it again. Getting my new HDD in the mail next week so hopefully I can use spoiler tags again. That or the mods here can fix the mobile site since the interface got changed yesterday.
Edit

Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #95
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I finished episode 10. Yeah, I'm really enjoying the show. I've enjoyed the fight scenes, which I thought with the negative reviews was going to be the biggest problem for me. Some of it shot oddly, but it's clear and easy enough to follow. I like the styles of combat, especially from Danny. I liked the big reveal, and I like where it's going. The concept of challenging ones own beliefs, and questioning the things you were told...it's a really fascinating theme to see covered. Reminded me a bit of Daredevil, where at some points...there were just ALOT of bodies coming at fighters. It's just fun to watch fight scenes like that.

I like it better than Jessica Jones, and I liked Jessica Jones. Daredevil and Luke Cage might still be better for me, but I think it might have to do more with the subplots. I think maybe I just find Karen and Foggy, or Misty and Dillard more interesting than the Meechum's. The Meechum's, I think they are the weak point of the series. Danny and Collen...everything with them is just awesome.

I want a costume. Feels like in one of the episodes they've thrown the hint of a possibility of that happening, at some point. I'd be happy if it happened this season, but I doubt it will. But, I'd bet it will happen at some point.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #96
legendkillin
Side-Kick

I am on episode 7, it is okay so far not terrible but not great. I feel it is more consistent than the other shows that maybe a good or bad thing. I loved the 1st half of both DDs2 and Luke Cage but the 2nd halves felt like a change of direction. I liked JJ but it was not as memorable outside of Kilgrave. I don't have any stand out moments in IF right now.

legendkillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #97
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

3 episodes in and I already enjoy it more than Luke Cage at least

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #98
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendkillin View Post
I am on episode 7, it is okay so far not terrible but not great. I feel it is more consistent than the other shows that maybe a good or bad thing. I loved the 1st half of both DDs2 and Luke Cage but the 2nd halves felt like a change of direction. I liked JJ but it was not as memorable outside of Kilgrave. I don't have any stand out moments in IF right now.
There's been a few for me.

I really liked the hallway-to-elevator fight, especially the beginning that was kicked off with the Iron Fist soundtrack song, "Unexpected Guests" (they have the soundtrack on spotify). There's others that stand out, but I'd have to check and make sure they're not past episode 7, and not spoil them.

There's some great lines too, that stand out. When Danny's about to face someone who asks if he would like to choose a weapon, he replies "I am the weapon." There's some great setup to fight scenes, and the fight scenes themselves. Those have stood out for me.

Last edited by ChrisBaleBatman; 03-18-2017 at 02:43 PM.
ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #99
Shadow Moses
FOXDIE

The awkward moment when I start watching a comicbook tv show for the story alone and skip the action scenes. The actor playing Danny Rand just doesn't work for me and my god, the fight scenes are an abomination. Feels like watching a homemade fight video. Danny looks like any white bloke from down the street and doesn't own the character.

I'm on episode 6 and it's dragging hard.

The only positives are the Meachum siblings.

Shadow Moses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #100
Faith_Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoMoria View Post
Amell doesn't sell anything well. I don't buy him as a badass, as a playboy or as a leading man. The only thing he has going for him over Jones is a better physique and that doesn't impress me in the least.

As with nearly everything on IF, the fight choreography improved as the season progressed, starting with the hallway/elevator fight. And IMO, Finn is quite convincing in those scenes.

Faith_Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote