The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-21-2017, 05:36 AM   #76
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Fox is making a Doctor Doom film

I'm disappointed in that they keep going on with the FF franchise. Whether this movie has a real chance of being good is something I'll judge further down the line.

I've still only seen the first episode of Legion which was interesting, but I don't know if I can call it good. I do plan to watch the rest, but this far I don't care what happens to anyone I've seen.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #77
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrehistoricDog View Post
Sure, why not. Noah has a knack for making great antagonists.
The word "antagonist" would be the biggest reason why not. It sounds like Doom is the protagonist in this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlluAllu View Post
Personally I'd rather have Fox keep Fantastic Four and Marvel get Doctor Doom.
I don't agree with that. My biggest complaint here is divorcing the Fantastic Four from Dr. Doom. Plus, while I want to see the FF in the MCU, I wouldn't mind a good FF film with Doom one day regardless of where it is (as little hope as I have) and severing the two would be poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvlaki View Post
It doesn't change the fact that they own the rights. People around here act like they held Marvel at gunpoint for the rights. Like it or not it's well within their right to make this movie and getting pissed off at Fox even when they hire not only a competent filmmaker but arguably the most competent filmmaker in television just makes people on here look like a bunch of whiners.
No one is saying they don't have the right to make an FF movie. What I (and many others) are saying is they've butchered this property enough times that they don't deserve the benefit of any doubt. Josh Trank was exciting when he got signed on board, but the project started to look questionable before Fox panicked and took it away from him to create a terrible Frankenstein movie.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #78
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Well this was unexpected.

Still, it could be interesting. It might be interesting if they do doom as an allegory of Trump, always trying to prove he's the toughest and best but always feeling slighted by someone else (Reed Richards/Obama)
It should chronicle his rise to power in Latveria adapting Books of Doom and trust me President Trump IS superior to Obama but that's another post

Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #79
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Are Fox going to have the balls to finally make him Victor Domashev, anti-social blogger extraordinaire who goes by the handle of "Doom"?

Because they missed that one last time round when the film finally came out.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #80
Spiderine
Sho nuff

I am sure it will be a backstory of Doom before he becomes the powerful dictator of Latveria.

Its just a shame that it will push Doom's appearance in the MCU that much further into the future. Its going to be a long time before we see him if they make this film.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #81
DalekbusterFitz
Side-Kick

I like the Fantastic Four but I feel like we all need to tell Fox somehow that we want Fantastic Four in the MCU, and the only way we can do that is by refusing to see their movies. So I'm boycotting until they at least agree to share the characters with Marvel-Disney.

DalekbusterFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #82
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinScrier View Post
It should chronicle his rise to power in Latveria adapting Books of Doom and trust me President Trump IS superior to Obama but that's another post
Trust you?

No thanks.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #83
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinScrier View Post
President Trump IS superior to Obama
in the same way that Tommy Wiseau is superior to Orson Welles

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #84
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Tommy Wiseau for Doom!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #85
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
I wouldn't say that Days of Future Past is an incompetently made movie. Neither are the recent Deadpool and Logan.

You're all acting like the Fantastic Four property going back to Marvel was a done thing, when Fox made it clear that they had not intention of letting it go.

They own the rights to this, and can therefore make this movie. I'm curious about what Noah Hawley will cook up. You can all stay at home if you don't like it.
Sony was open minded and worked with MCU to make everyone happier.

Spider-man was in Civil War and he'll be in Avengers 3 and 4. Homecoming was the best Spider-man movie in at least the last 13 years.

People want similar success and continuity with the Fantastic Four.

Fox is wasting alot of great story opportunities by keeping the FF. Also they don't know what makes the FF work. They need counsel from Marvel Studios even more than Sony.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #86
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I wouldn't mind a good FF film with Doom one day regardless of where it is (as little hope as I have) and severing the two would be poor.
This is an important point. Noah Hawley and Fox might be able to cobble together a decent Doom film, but then what? Fox has never made anything close to what the FF should be. How is a Doom film going to get them to where they need to be? Who would make the FF film? Simon Kinberg? Hawley has certainly never done anything to make me feel like the FF is in his sweet-spot, so we could get a decent Doom film then another crappy FF film and we're just stuck right back where we were. But enough years will have been chewed up that I'll probably die before I ever see a decent FF film.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #87
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
This is an important point. Noah Hawley and Fox might be able to cobble together a decent Doom film, but then what? Fox has never made anything close to what the FF should be. How is a Doom film going to get them to where they need to be? Who would make the FF film? Simon Kinberg? Hawley has certainly never done anything to make me feel like the FF is in his sweet-spot, so we could get a decent Doom film then another crappy FF film and we're just stuck right back where we were. But enough years will have been chewed up that I'll probably die before I ever see a decent FF film.
Why, Scott Buck of course.

They definitely don't have anywhere to go even if they make a decent Doom film. Who is he going to fight if they can't get the FF right?

Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #88
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Why, Scott Buck of course.

They definitely don't have anywhere to go even if they make a decent Doom film. Who is he going to fight if they can't get the FF right?
Reedbots

ZWERG/ELF

Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #89
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't agree with that. My biggest complaint here is divorcing the Fantastic Four from Dr. Doom. Plus, while I want to see the FF in the MCU, I wouldn't mind a good FF film with Doom one day regardless of where it is (as little hope as I have) and severing the two would be poor.
That was in comparison to Fox getting Doom and Marvel getting FF. They would be separated then too. I think Doom's interactions with MCU characters would be more interesting than FF's.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #90
TeeKay
Side-Kick

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #91
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Doom is known for being the villain of every hero in the Marvel universe. He has made enemies of everyone, not just the FF. So making a film, and potentially film series about him completely takes away one of the biggest things about him. Not that this has ever matter to Fox before.

He can't just be fighting other FF villains and turned into an anti-hero like Sony are hoping to do with Venom or were hoping with Sinister Six.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #92
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Doom is known for being the villain of every hero in the Marvel universe. He has made enemies of everyone, not just the FF. So making a film, and potentially film series about him completely takes away one of the biggest things about him. Not that this has ever matter to Fox before.

He can't just be fighting other FF villains and turned into an anti-hero like Sony are hoping to do with Venom or were hoping with Sinister Six.
Except there have been multiple times where he wasn't a straight villain. There are multiple ways this can go. And using what is out there right now to judge what Hawley will do is foolish. Who the know what kind of good stuff Hawley is thinking up.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #93
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

there's a whole other level of alchemy needed to spin this sh** into gold

ZWERG/ELF

Old 07-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #94
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Bauer View Post
Look at the big picture people. Doom was meant to battle not only the FF but Iron Man Doctor Strange The Avengers and so on...supporting Fox's spinoff will only delay the inevitable. F

Remember. BIG PICTURE. MCU.
Don't give a crap in the slightest. There's people who want the X-Men back at Marvel and yet I found Logan better than the last several MCU films by quite a large margin.

If a movie is good, I really don't give a crap about whether or not it can have an Avengers crossover.

Quote:
The word "antagonist" would be the biggest reason why not. It sounds like Doom is the protagonist in this story.
Villain Protagonist

Last edited by MbJ; 07-21-2017 at 09:20 AM.
MbJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #95
NealKenneth
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
C'mon, stop it already with this 'Marvel Studios privilege' already. It's getting old.
Oh, okay guys, time to stop wanting all the characters to cross over...it's "getting old."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gael View Post
phase 1 : the right reversal approach and it's time to do something
Phase 2 : hire Someone who seems competent
Phase 3 : the script is good but Not cheap enough... Sorry, too expensive
Phase 4 : take the old FF script, it's a bad but good script because cheap
Phase 5 : hire whoever wants to play in this
Phase 6 : alarming rumors begins to spread... The script may be terrible
Phase 7 : rumors denied one or two weeks later, the director Is perfect and can't miss
Phase 8 : the director and the studio have serious issues
Phase 9 : Deny
Phase 10 : the movie Is urged into production,, but nothing worked as planned...
Phase 11 : deny, deny, deny...
Phase 12 : the movie is released, panned by the critics and bombs, the FOX supporters disappear from the face of earth
Phase 13 : Returns to phase 1 ( if Marvel doesn't get the rights because FOX fail to produce the movie in time )

Am I right ? We're back in 2013 at phase 2 ?
This is what I can't stand.

Just a few days ago we all had zero trust in Fox to do anything with the FF and literally all it took for some people to roll over and show their belly was to announce a potential director. Do they forget that Trank seemed competent in 2013?

NealKenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #96
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Hawley has a longer track record within the industry. Along with some stronger noteworthy accomplishments. For his second film, it could always have been not good. Even proven filmmakers can have lapses where they make stuff below expectations. Still, no one could've foreseen Trank killing his career the way he did.

Hawley has earned my trust after Legion. I am assuming he is doing this because he has a killer idea. As he doesn't strike me as one who will do something just because he was offered it. Still need to check out Fargo, though.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #97
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
Hawley has a longer track record within the industry. Along with some stronger noteworthy accomplishments. For his second film, it could always have been not good. Even proven filmmakers can have lapses where they make stuff below expectations. Still, no one could've foreseen Trank killing his career the way he did.

Hawley has earned my trust after Legion. I am assuming he is doing this because he has a killer idea. As he doesn't strike me as one who will do something just because he was offered it. Still need to check out Fargo, though.
Hawley's talented, but his track record in directing films is neither good nor bad. It doesn't exist. At least Trank had a good flick under his belt.

But the concern is not so much with Noah as with FOX's track record in putting the FF character family onscreen. Are they going to commit the dollars required to provide the epic scope required of Dr. Doom: Origins? Or will the studio once again slash the budget and hope the newbie director is skilled enough to make chicken salad out of chicken feces? The track record says the latter.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #98
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post

have you seen anything in Legion (or Fargo btw) that screams 'Fantastic Four'? Hawley was approached because he had done Comic Book related stuff before, not because he fits that property, just like Trank was chosen, because he did Chronicle, not because his vision fitted the property.

It's still FOX for fox sake, they have a long track record for having no clue what they are doing. Why should it be different this time?

ZWERG/ELF

Old 07-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #99
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealKenneth View Post
Just a few days ago we all had zero trust in Fox to do anything with the FF and literally all it took for some people to roll over and show their belly was to announce a potential director. 2013?
It's not "rolling over and showing their belly." It's being intrigued because they have a genuinely established and acclaimed creator attached.

MbJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #100
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
Don't give a crap in the slightest. There's people who want the X-Men back at Marvel and yet I found Logan better than the last several MCU films by quite a large margin.

If a movie is good, I really don't give a crap about whether or not it can have an Avengers crossover.

Villain Protagonist

Um, Fantastic Four and their villains and don't have the don't have the same amount of self contained stories and self contained themes that X-men have.

There's a void in these crossover movies without them.

Then you have the massive plotlines you lose not having the FF villains (Skrulls, Kang, Doom, Galactus, etc).

You can do an entire phase 4-6 story MCU story arc with just FF villains alone.

But instead we get a Doom movie and an isolated and possibly half-assed FF reboot.

They're wasting huge storytelling opportunities and valuable time.