The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 10-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #26
the last son
Side-Kick

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He didn't have time to worry about collateral damage in man of steel. The entire world was at stake.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #27
Doctor Jones
No One

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
He didn't have time to worry about collateral damage in man of steel. The entire world was at stake.

Human lives were included in that collateral damage. I guess Superman didn't have time for human life.

He can worry about the entire world and collateral damage. That's what makes him Superman.

Doctor Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 AM   #28
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
Man of Steel is actually worse. After the fight in Smallville, Clark should have had a solid idea of the destructive power of his enemies therefore after he took out the world engine his first priority should have been navigating the fight out of a major population center. That's not inexperience, that's a lack of basic common sense that Clark isn't called out on until the reactionary sequel.

hahaha! what!?!?...Have you ever been in a real brawl? You think it's easy just to make things go your way when the odds are against you?....And with that kinda power involved?...Come on man. He was getting his a$$ kicked. How would you have done it?

Also, He's never been in a fight up until that point. It's not like he could fight back when he was being bullied at school. He'd murder everybody without trying. He's literally fighting his first fight ever in life. hahaha!

He's clearly inexperienced in a lot because of his constant restraint growing up this would cause him to have a lack of common sense cuz he's not common. He's a different species entirely.
Even with the help of the army, it was a convenient movie miracle Supes had any chance of beating them at all. It's not like he had web shooters to restrain anybody he wanted to before they could even realize he was in the same breathing space as them.

He didn't know at all what the hell he was doing and the movie constantly reminds you of how confused he is in his life and everything else and that theme even carries on in BvS.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #29
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
hahaha! what!?!?...Have you ever been in a real brawl? You think it's easy just to make things go your way when the odds are against you?....And with that kinda power involved?...Come on man. He was getting his a$$ kicked. How would you have done it?

Also, He's never been in a fight up until that point. It's not like he could fight back when he was being bullied at school. He'd murder everybody without trying. He's literally fighting his first fight ever in life. hahaha!

He's clearly inexperienced in a lot because of his constant restraint growing up this would cause him to have a lack of common sense cuz he's not common. He's a different species entirely.
Even with the help of the army, it was a convenient movie miracle Supes had any chance of beating them at all. It's not like he had web shooters to restrain anybody he wanted to before they could even realize he was in the same breathing space as them.

He didn't know at all what the hell he was doing and the movie constantly reminds you of how confused he is in his life and everything else and that theme even carries on in BvS.
Having been in a punch up or two I have to agree with that. A fight is chaos, now imagine two elephants fighting on top of a bunch of ant hills.

Sadly what B v S failed to do was dealing with the collateral damage in a way that made the audience care.

Of course those aren't unpopular opinions, sooo....Tron Legacy gets better with multiple viewings !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #30
Travesty
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post

Human lives were included in that collateral damage. I guess Superman didn't have time for human life.
What do you think "Collateral Damage" is? Yes, human lives are included, hence, "collateral damage".

Quote:
He can worry about the entire world and collateral damage. That's what makes him Superman.
But he couldn't in this particular situation. So between collateral damage and the fate of the world, you choose the fate of the world, because collateral damage is bad for your short term PR?

What?

Last edited by Travesty; 10-20-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:29 AM   #31
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Who's talking about PR?

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #32
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:

He had more than enough time to collect himself and move during breaks in the fight (which there are quite a few of) because the Zod fight wasn't relentless. Zod let up quite a bit especially when you consider that Zod was pursuing Clark at that point. It's not just about physical might. Clark is supposed to be hyper intelligent as well.

This was only addressed in BvS because of the backlash. Had no one called them out on this, we would have gotten a very different sequel.

Last edited by Joe Von Zombie; 10-20-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #33
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
He had more than enough time to collect himself and move during breaks in the fight (which there are quite a few of) because the Zod fight wasn't relentless. Zod let up quite a bit especially when you consider that Zod was pursuing Clark at that point. It's not just about physical might. Clark is supposed to be hyper intelligent as well.

This was only addressed in BvS because of the backlash. Had no one called them out on this, we would have gotten a very different sequel.
And Zod and his crew aren't intelligent? hahahaha! Man.
At that point they threatened his mom, dude. The fight in Smallville happened out of anger. It doesn't make it ok but it goes to show you how human Clark is in alot of ways. It happens.
After this fight, him and Lois come up with the plan to stop the terraforming with the military. Which is the priority. He did whatever he could and he had to do most of it alone.

Honestly, even with all the intelligence in the world, What could have he done better?...He was barely in control of the situation.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #34
The Endless
WE are Groot

How about the part where Zod kicked the petrol tanker at Superman... and he just jumped out of the way and let it blow up a building?

It makes me laugh seeing people try to excuse this ****. They put more thought into these straw man excuses than Snyder did with the film itself. His thought process was "wouldn't it be cool if Zod kicked a petrol tanker at Superman and he calmly jumps out of the way whilst it explodes behind him!"

Old 10-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #35
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
How about the part where Zod kicked the petrol tanker at Superman... and he just jumped out of the way and let it blow up a building?

It makes me laugh seeing people try to excuse this ****. They put more thought into these straw man excuses than Snyder did with the film itself. His thought process was "wouldn't it be cool if Zod kicked a petrol tanker at Superman and he calmly jumps out of the way whilst it explodes behind him!"
Yeah, that's not great. I really wonder what Snyder was thinking there - kind of like Pa Kent's death, just not sure what he was thinking there.

Anyway, with regards to the oil tanker immediately after he dodges it Superman turns and looks at the burning building - the only reason I can think of for doing that is that he was looking to see if anyone was inside. Remember Superman spends quite a bit of time just saving people earlier in the film before the Kryptonians turn up ( oil rig, school bus), and he kills Zod to protect humanity, rather than out of self-preservation - so we know he cares.

I loved the best bits of Man of Steel, and there were plenty of them - but there are a few clangers in there too, that really made me scratch my head and wonder ( which was what I did for most of B v S ).

Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #36
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
I loved the best bits of Man of Steel, and there were plenty of them - but there are a few clangers in there too, that really made me scratch my head and wonder ( which was what I did for most of B v S ).
Probably because there's a lot less to think about. I got into appreciating MoS more through what other people rationalized.
I didn't nearly have to do that for BvS because not only did I get it but I also enjoyed most of it the first go around.
A marked improvement on MoS, no question.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #37
DyeLorean
will return

I like Beverly Hills Cop III.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #38
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Yeah, that's not great. I really wonder what Snyder was thinking there - kind of like Pa Kent's death, just not sure what he was thinking there.

Anyway, with regards to the oil tanker immediately after he dodges it Superman turns and looks at the burning building - the only reason I can think of for doing that is that he was looking to see if anyone was inside. Remember Superman spends quite a bit of time just saving people earlier in the film before the Kryptonians turn up ( oil rig, school bus), and he kills Zod to protect humanity, rather than out of self-preservation - so we know he cares.

I ironically don't mind the tanker dodge..but the mayhem it caused.

I felt like the slowness of the jump was they actually used a wire that time around..but it makes Superman come across as casual.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:10 AM   #39
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:

hahahaha!...Reflex.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #40
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
What do you think "Collateral Damage" is? Yes, human lives are included, hence, "collateral damage".

But he couldn't in this particular situation. So between collateral damage and the fate of the world, you choose the fate of the world, because collateral damage is bad for your short term PR?

What?
You're over rationalizing and excusing something that wasn't even thought through when making it. The whole problem with all of this and why it's so horrifying is rooted in this movie's interpretation of Superman. It doesn't look like any attention was paid to Superman creating the collateral damage. Snyder seemed to be more concerned with creating cool action scenes than anything. It's like it was accidental. It could have forgiven the rest if Superman actually saved lives and became the hero people kept yapping on about for the rest of the movie but the movie somehow doesn't seem to give this any attention. It ****s the bed on its own story and Superman being the hero is just lip service. And don't give me the, "He's not fully Superman yet" excuse. It can be a BB type movie but he can you know, be a superhero and still save lives.

Doctor Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #41
LaughterLives
Banned User

But Batman in BB killed as well and didn't go out saving everyone either. In fact, he runs away from them to catch a train. hahaha!

That's just a crazy double stndard.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #42
Herofan
Side-Kick

The Shawshank Redemption is good but far from great.

Herofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:24 AM   #43
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
Probably because there's a lot less to think about. I got into appreciating MoS more through what other people rationalized.
I didn't nearly have to do that for BvS because not only did I get it but I also enjoyed most of it the first go around.
A marked improvement on MoS, no question.
Totally disagree, but totally respect your opinion.

If you like it , that's cool, I wish I could too. Cheers.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 AM   #44
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Everything about the DCEU is better than the CW DC shows.

Aziz
Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #45
Grootster
Dancing Tree

Here's one that's going to be really unpopular: I don't like the idea of R-rated superhero films. I'm fine with R-rated films in other genres (even though they're usually not my thing), but it just seems wrong to have superhero films that kids can't watch, since superheroes started as children's entertainment (and ultimately are a pretty silly idea at heart). I can understand people wanting to watch a realistic and gritty crime thriller or western, but I'll never get the appeal of watching an R-rated cut of a movie about a man who dresses as a bat punching an alien from space.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #46
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

I don't dislike the idea of R-rated superhero films in general, but I think it's become too much of a meme in the online film community. Making a film R-rated doesn't automatically lend more credence to it. I honestly think that fans like the idea of R-rated superhero films because they feel that it validates their hobbies as adult entertainment.

Aziz
Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #47
The Endless
WE are Groot

Depends what characters it is. It's no coincidence the R rated Logan is the best film to feature the character. And anyone who says Deadpool would've been as good as it was if it was PG13 is a liar lol.

Same goes for the likes of Blade or Ghost Rider etc.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #48
Joe Von Zombie
Back in college

Quote:

Zack Snyder definitely applied the "the rule of cool" to his take on Superman which unfortunately made the character look like an apathetic moron. Man of Steel is still the best film in the DCEU film to me personally, but it gets worse every time I see it. I think Zack Snyder could potentially make a great superman film, but he has to detach his own "cool ****" mentally and his own ideology from the material for that to ever happen.
Quote:
But Batman in BB killed as well and didn't go out saving everyone either. In fact, he runs away from them to catch a train. hahaha!

That's just a crazy double stndard.
It's not a double standard. Bruce Wayne is called out on his hypocritical stance and behavior in ALL THREE of those films and there are fans out there that don't care for that trilogy because of this. It was naturally part of those films' narrative from the beginning not something that was only addressed because there was outrage over it. He's also been called out on the death toll due to his refusal to kill in the comics and other media as well.

"Ignoring what he's done in the past. Blindly, stupidly disregarding the entire graveyards he's filled, the thousands who have suffered, the friends he's crippled. You know, I thought... I thought I'd be the last person you'd ever let him hurt. If it had been you that he beat to a bloody pulp, if he had taken you from this world, I would've done nothing but search the planet for this pathetic pile of evil, death-worshiping garbage and then send him off to hell!"

Last edited by Joe Von Zombie; 10-22-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Joe Von Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #49
DyeLorean
will return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootster View Post
Here's one that's going to be really unpopular: I don't like the idea of R-rated superhero films. I'm fine with R-rated films in other genres (even though they're usually not my thing), but it just seems wrong to have superhero films that kids can't watch, since superheroes started as children's entertainment (and ultimately are a pretty silly idea at heart). I can understand people wanting to watch a realistic and gritty crime thriller or western, but I'll never get the appeal of watching an R-rated cut of a movie about a man who dresses as a bat punching an alien from space.
I don't understand. You don't like R-rated superhero films being made, or you just don't like R-rated superhero films? Because without it, we would be missing some really good films, let me tell ya.

Logan isn't really a superhero movie. I could argue Wolverine is not even a superhero.

I doubt kids would even watch a film like that. The posters and the whole marketing campaign was very straightforward for adults.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #50
Grootster
Dancing Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
I don't dislike the idea of R-rated superhero films in general, but I think it's become too much of a meme in the online film community. Making a film R-rated doesn't automatically lend more credence to it. I honestly think that fans like the idea of R-rated superhero films because they feel that it validates their hobbies as adult entertainment.
Yeah, I kind of get that feeling too. I always cringe when someone suggests an R-rated Star Wars (or even worse something like Ninja Turtles or Transformers). I get that a lot of adult fans want to see their childhood stories mature with them, but I feel like studios should make stories with complex themes that appeal to adults without making it exclusively for adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
I don't understand. You don't like R-rated superhero films being made, or you just don't like R-rated superhero films? Because without it, we would be missing some really good films, let me tell ya.

Logan isn't really a superhero movie. I could argue Wolverine is not even a superhero.

I doubt kids would even watch a film like that. The posters and the whole marketing campaign was very straightforward for adults.
I just find the idea a bit weird overall. I kind of understand something like Deadpool being R-rated (even though it's not really my thing) since his stories are more of a parody and a deconstruction of the superhero genre than a classic superhero movie. What bugs me are classic superheroes like Batman and Superman getting R-rated movies. These characters can certainly be handled more in-depth and more adult-oriented if the filmmakers want to (since they do have large adult fanbases these days), but I feel like they should always be within the realm of something relatively kid-friendly (especially if it involves someone like Superman). I suppose I feel like it should stay within the spirit of what the characters were created to be.

Was Wolverine originally from a kid's story, or has he always been more adult-oriented? I'm not very familiar with the X-men universe. I haven't heard of a lot of kids who are crazy about Wolverine (in comparison to someone like Hulk or Spider-man), so it doesn't bug me quite as much.