The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #251
Sawyer
High King

Default Re: DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

There's no way they don't have a Shazam book on the stands by the time the movie hits.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #252
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Rebirth > New 52

And it’s not even remotely close

Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #253
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babillygunn View Post
Rebirth > New 52

I don't know. I find the Batman books and Justice League titles were all way better during the New 52. The Green Lantern and Superman books are better during Rebirth. Their pretty split on the lesser titles. Phantom Stranger was amazing during the New 52. Swamp Thing. But then Red Hood & the Outlaws, Miracle Man, etc. are good for Rebirth.

Of the titles I personally read, I enjoyed them more during the New 52. But overall I think it's pretty even.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #254
X Knight
Hope

sucks to hear Supergirl book has been cancelled.

has Teen Titans been cancelled, too? cuz I didn't see that in the May 18 solicits either.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #255
WolfCypher

What's happening with Superboy? Super Sons is getting cancelled, which btw da hell?!!, and none of the Bendis Superman stuff looks like he'll be in the Superman books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm
GodDAMN these electric sex pants.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #256
The Shape
In the shadows

Not sure how much truth there is to this, but I've heard that Super Sons will be relaunched in some kind of different form. I think Damian and Jon are still a priority for DC.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #257
Mani-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Rebirth > New 52

Its a hit and a miss here and there.
I find the Batman books from the new 52 far better than anything Rebirth has done so far.
Well Detective Comics is pretty okayish in both...but still.

Superman is far better in rebirth...i go so far and say that the New 52 could have destroyed Supermans legacy if they would have continued that way.
Wonder Woman...i havent read too much new 52 WW, mainly to shield my innocent eyes from the Superman/Wonder Woman nonsense.
But i like the Rebirth storys so far.
Aquaman is consistent good on both.
Justice League is a mixed bag on both.
Green Lantern was not bad later in the new 52 but is overall better in rebirth.
Everything else is imo too inconsistent in quality to give a definitive opinion.

Overall however i would say that yeah, Rebirth worked better than New 52.

Mani-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #258
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
What's happening with Superboy? Super Sons is getting cancelled, which btw da hell?!!, and none of the Bendis Superman stuff looks like he'll be in the Superman books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
Not sure how much truth there is to this, but I've heard that Super Sons will be relaunched in some kind of different form. I think Damian and Jon are still a priority for DC.
Tomasi has said that he's not done with the Super Sons, and Bendis has said that Jon is a blast to write.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #259
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
Rebirth > New 52

Sales tell a different story, especially with regards to Superman, Wonder Woman Aquaman and the Justice League.

7) Spider-Man 2 8)The Dark Knight Rises 9)Thor Ragnarok 10) X2: X-Men United
Juan1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:25 AM   #260
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan1193 View Post
So how long until DC reboots/relaunches again? Rebirth books are already well below their New 52 counterparts at the same point in time. Maybe that's what May's No Justice is supposed to be? A reshuffling of their major titles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan1193 View Post
Sales tell a different story, especially with regards to Superman, Wonder Woman Aquaman and the Justice League.
Thanks to another forum--

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

New 52 Action was selling better than Rebirth Action till the Reborn crossover.
Rebirth Superman has sold better than New 52 Superman all the way.
New 52 Justice League has sold better than Rebirth Justice League.
Rebirth Wonder Woman has sold better than New 52 Wonder Woman.

Batman (coming off one of the most popular runs in modern comics from Snyder/Capullo) was always going to go down-- But I haven't liked what King's done with it overall either.

Supergirl and a couple of others were down (from the few I saw they were better than N52, but *shrug*).

Overall, Rebirth is selling better than New 52 was at the same point.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:44 AM   #261
Sawyer
High King

As much as I enjoy the man's art, I'll never understand DC giving Bryan Hitch writing duties at the offset of JL's Rebirth.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-25-2018, 05:24 AM   #262
Omegabat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Thanks to another forum--

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

New 52 Action was selling better than Rebirth Action till the Reborn crossover.
Rebirth Superman has sold better than New 52 Superman all the way.
New 52 Justice League has sold better than Rebirth Justice League.
Rebirth Wonder Woman has sold better than New 52 Wonder Woman.

Batman (coming off one of the most popular runs in modern comics from Snyder/Capullo) was always going to go down-- But I haven't liked what King's done with it overall either.

Supergirl and a couple of others were down (from the few I saw they were better than N52, but *shrug*).

Overall, Rebirth is selling better than New 52 was at the same point.
Indeed and its a far more creative era at DC. They have different lines ( Wildstorm, Young Animal, Zoom, Ink, Dark Matter and more to come). Their writers and artists pool destroys Marvel utterly for instance. They managed to bring Priest, Dixon and Rucka back while snatching Lemire and Bendis from Marvel. The Superman line up is fantastic, the Bat line is hit and miss which is the same as New 52, the JL line is poor but Snyder is going to rescue it, Flash is better than ever. Rebirth managed to maintain its success. New 52's biggest gains lasted only 4 months really.

Omegabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #263
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I’m saying Rebirth > New 52 probably on the gap in quality on Superman alone. But individually:
Rebirth Batman < New 52 Batman
Rebirth Superman > New 52 Superman by a mile
Rebirth Aquaman > New 52 Aquaman by a whisker but both have been great.
Rebirth Flash < New 52 Flash by a whisker because both disappointed
Rebirth RHatO > New 52 RHatO by a chasm.
Rebirth Details Comics >New 52 Detective Comics
Rebirth Action Comics = New 52 Action Comics in a push
Rebirth Wonder Woman > New 52 Wonder Woman based on Ruckas run alone
Rebirth Nightwing > New 52 Nightwing as rebirth Nightwing has quietly become very high quality since new writer
Rebirth Green Arrow >New 52 GA just because it doesn’t have Kevin Smith’s hubris
Rebirth “big events” < New 52 so far. But not by too much as Metal has been a huge let down but Doomsday Clock could make up for it. Final Crisis was a mixed bag.

These are my observations based on what I read

Old 02-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #264
geetard
Rebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
There's no way they don't have a Shazam book on the stands by the time the movie hits.
DiDio did a recent podcast and confirms there's a Shazam book ready. DC is just waiting for the creative team to be available.

Chris Samnee's contract at Marvel is over and Mark Waid said last year his dream project is to write the Big Red Cheese...

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #265
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Given his work on Superman and Super Sons, I'd say Tomasi is the perfect talent for writing Shazaam.

Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #266
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Given his work on Superman and Super Sons, I'd say Tomasi is the perfect talent for writing Shazaam.
That would be great.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #267
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Quote:
Rebirth Aquaman > New 52 Aquaman by a whisker but both have been great.
Have to disagree on that one. I'm behind on Aquaman currently, but Johns' run on Aquaman is what made me a fan, and even after he left the book maintained that quality. It's felt a little blah after the Rebirth relaunch though to the point that I just sorta lost interest after it went political. There wasn't enough interest for me to push through that like there would have been during the New 52 days. I'll get caught up eventually, and maybe it'll win me over again, but I was already pretty bored of the book before the new direction started.

Quote:
Rebirth Details Comics >New 52 Detective Comics
I'll agree to this one but only because of Daniels' launch of the New 52 Detective. After he left I thought the title was steller. Layman (I think it was) was quietly one of the best Batman writers of the New 52 era. Pair that up with Fabok on art and that book was gold for a while. That said Rebirth Detective has been stellar!

Quote:
Rebirth Nightwing > New 52 Nightwing as rebirth Nightwing has quietly become very high quality since new writer
I still prefer the New 52 Nightwing because of the first 17 or 18 issues. I absolutely loved that run with Haley's and the Talon stuff, and Morales I think it was on art. It's been okay since, but I don't think anything in the Rebirth era has topped that long opening run during the New 52.

Quote:
Rebirth Green Arrow >New 52 GA just because it doesn’t have Kevin Smith’s hubris
I've never been attached to the classic Green Arrow, so I absolutely loved Lemire's run. I've tried giving the Rebirth title a shot and just can't get into it like I could at that time. That said, everything prior to Lemire was horrendous, and most of it post-Lemire was mediocre at best.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #268
Omegabat
Side-Kick

Imo both volumes of Aquaman are equal.
Green Arrow by Lemire is better than Rebirth book but Rebirth has consistency and nary an utterly terrible storyline like the rest of the New 52 volume was filled with.
Rebirth Nightwing just destroys New 52 Nightwing. The latter was mediocre, directionless and filler that was plagued by crossovers. Better than Batman and Nightwing Must Die arcs from Rebirth are fantastic arcs. Rebirth has also focused a lot on giving Nightwing good villains.
Rebirth Detective is better but only because of consistency. Its a mediocre book with the same old tropes, stories and characters going around in circles. But New 52 version had a terrible start with Daniel. Later promising writers like Layman and Tomasi were gone with in months. They had solid ideas but their runs were plagued by Snyder's crossovers interfering.

Omegabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #269
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

@Jewishhobbit— It’s no big surprise that you cannot get into the Rebirth Aquaman and Green Arrow. But I respect you for giving them a try. I’m not sure that I would give a chance to a comic or story arc that is as opposed to my affiliations as those stories/characters are to what I perceive your political leanings appear to be. Kudos to you for having a more open mind than I might.

To me, this Aquaman Corum Rath arc has been the sweeping, epic story that I love from Aquaman. And the art has been some of the best I’ve ever seen in comics. I’ve absolutely loved it. But I can totally see why others would not.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #270
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegabat View Post
Rebirth Nightwing just destroys New 52 Nightwing. The latter was mediocre, directionless and filler that was plagued by crossovers. Better than Batman and Nightwing Must Die arcs from Rebirth are fantastic arcs. Rebirth has also focused a lot on giving Nightwing good villains.
I’ve really loved the latest Nightwing issues. I agree he has been given some great new villains. The Judge is great and Raptor is quickly becoming a great arch enemy for him. I have also loved how they’ve recycled some underused villains like Blockbuster and Orca in his books and done it extremely well.

They’ve set it up where Blockbuster is Nightwing’s Penguin, Raptor is his Ras, and the Judge is his Joker.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #271
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Regardless of official sales, I bought 28 New52 books that September. By the following year, I was buying 3-4 books and by the time Rebirth hit, I hadn't been reading ANY DC at all for a few months. I think the Convergence tie-ins were the last DC books I bought until Rebirth.

I've since got back a bit with an even tempered mind and bought Omega Men and am saving up for the Grayson omnibus. But so far as I'm concerned, Rebirth has been great, and miles above New52 by far.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #272
MMMMM...Pancakes
Cena Wins LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
Regardless of official sales, I bought 28 New52 books that September. By the following year, I was buying 3-4 books and by the time Rebirth hit, I hadn't been reading ANY DC at all for a few months. I think the Convergence tie-ins were the last DC books I bought until Rebirth.

I've since got back a bit with an even tempered mind and bought Omega Men and am saving up for the Grayson omnibus. But so far as I'm concerned, Rebirth has been great, and miles above New52 by far.
Grayson was awesome.

***Wrestling Thread***

2016 SHH WWE PPV Prediction Champion
MMMMM...Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #273
Babillygunn
Tag team champion

I thought the Spyral storyline dragged a bit in the middle. But it definitely had a good payoff

Old 02-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #274
JewishHobbit
Banned User

I never got why people loved Grayson so much. I was bored with it for the most part, though it had its moments.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #275
geetard
Rebirth

Bleeding Cool is reporting that DC will have an R-rated Elseworlds imprint for mature readers called Black Label. One of the launch titles would be a WW book from Kelly Sue DeConnick.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote