The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #101
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Default Re: Possible movement on Black Widow spin-off?

It seems many people want Hawkeye to be a supporting character in this movie... but does it really have to be Clint Barton? Why not Kate Bishop? She'd be a far better choice in my opinion.

Abudefduf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #102
Kev4000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abudefduf View Post
It seems many people want Hawkeye to be a supporting character in this movie... but does it really have to be Clint Barton? Why not Kate Bishop? She'd be a far better choice in my opinion.
Naaa Clint deserves some love

Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #103
Loki882
Side-Kick

Also he's Natasha's best friend.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #104
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Renner's Hawkeye is beyond saving. In the eyes of the GA he will forever be the worst Avenger, no matter what they do with him now. Plus I'd rather Widow have a female sidekick, it'd be more interesting.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #105
jeff2hogan
Side-Kick

About time.

jeff2hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #106
Hello2016
Side-Kick

Well, she has no family or friends from what I can tell so is a single lady looking for love... SNL parody was great.

I don't know if a sidekick would be warranted as she only works alone. Perhaps teaming her with people who get killed all too often would be the saving grace not to have one. Her day to day job, bit of backstory, integration of the infinity formula (distant past, present, and/or future) , and yes it could be a sort of Mission Impossible film of the MCU.

Certainly setting as well as supporting characters need to be just as important as the villain. I think maybe one of the background supporting characters could turn out as the villain.

Last edited by Hello2016; 01-13-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Hello2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #107
KeystoneKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
...Id like to see Natasha retired and living with her husband (Not Bruce!) in the suburbs post Infinity War when an event - a former colleague resurrecting the Red Room program? - gets her back into the game like a tiny pretty Liam Neeson.
Or a tiny pretty Charles Bronson in something similar to Telefon.

KeystoneKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #108
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello2016 View Post
Well, she has no family or friends from what I can tell so is a single lady looking for love... SNL parody was great.

I don't know if a sidekick would be warranted as she only works alone. Perhaps teaming her with people who get killed all too often would be the saving grace not to have one. Her day to day job, bit of backstory, integration of the infinity formula (distant past, present, and/or future) , and yes it could be a sort of Mission Impossible film of the MCU.

Certainly setting as well as supporting characters need to be just as important as the villain. I think maybe one of the background supporting characters could turn out as the villain.
If she's usually alone and doesn't want a partner, they having her stuck with a sidekick is absolutely the most interesting thing to do. And hey, maybe the SIDEKICK is the one that betrays her!

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #109
Hello2016
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
If she's usually alone and doesn't want a partner, they having her stuck with a sidekick is absolutely the most interesting thing to do. And hey, maybe the SIDEKICK is the one that betrays her!
I think that could work well.

If the betrayal is a lined up plot point, I wonder if there's a possible way to do parts of the movie shown through the sidekick's perspective (understandably this may be difficult to pull off especially in a first solo movie).

This would maybe help narrative wise to allow the audience to invest more into a villain who doesn't hold similar abilities, superior advantage, or stack of dominoes lined up for films protagonist to go through. I think if a betrayal happens might as well not make it a surprise but queu the audience in letting them follow this character in parts trying to escape detection/stay under the radar for a bit while of course having to contend with conversations with Natasha time to time who doesn't find out until later.

In other words, I think the villain not being superior or similar to Black Widow could present an interesting back/forth chase/subterfuge dynamic for an interesting thriller. Marvel hasn't played with perspective in a lot of their films but I think if the film involves some psychological thriller aspects to the movie this could work well perhaps.

Last edited by Hello2016; 01-13-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #110
MbJ
Side-Kick

Sounds like Scarjo will have an active hand in developing the script.

MbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #111
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamron View Post
I mostly agree with this but I think you could get a lot more mileage out of the conceit of Budapest than just a 10-minute scene.

Imagine like Mr. & Mrs. Smith meets The Hangover or Rashomon. It could serve as almost a two-in-one BW/Hawkeye film and show not tell why they "remember [it] very differently".
I would love to see something like that in BW. Just don't make it into a lighter version of Atomic Blonde (which I liked BTW).

Old 01-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #112
Hello2016
Side-Kick

There's different ways to take this. The report from Mr. Kroll also speculates on this potentially being the same female team-up movie that Tessa Thompson and company playfully pitched while filming Avengers.

At this point in time, that would perhaps make sense to develop something of an ensemble film. Obviously this would take a whole different approach to any of the proposals for the movie on this thread and no idea what would be centered on...

Old 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #113
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

I think it may be smart for them to have BW as the lead while having some of the other established female MCU characters helping out.

If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you die, walk it off."--Captain America
Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #114
Hello2016
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I think it may be smart for them to have BW as the lead while having some of the other established female MCU characters helping out.
The other female characters have super powers sort of like characters in the Avengers so that puts Black Widow's character sort of in a similar role it seems but I suppose that depends on story...

Old 01-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #115
MbJ
Side-Kick

Johansson discussed it with Variety.

Quote:
Will there be a standalone Black Widow movie?
I would like for it to happen under the right circumstances. I think there’s a lot of opportunity to mine that story line. She’s got a really rich origins story. There’s a lot of places you can go — you can bring it back to Russia. You could explore the Widow program. There’s all kinds of stuff that you could do with it. You could really uncover the identity of who this person is, where she comes from and where she’s part of.

So if it happens, will it be a prequel?
It’s a possibility. There’s plenty of back story. Or not. It could be something else. Where do the Avengers go? They are underground. What happens then? What happens after it all falls apart? There are so many ways you can go. I think it would just have to be very much like its own specific thing. It would have to have its own specific vibe. It would have been totally different than any of the other standalone films. I think if the fans wanted it enough, then it would probably become a reality.

Don’t you think the fans want it?
Yeah, I guess. Marvel would know more than I do.

Are you still talking to Marvel about it?
Yeah, of course. I talked to them about it often. It would have to fit in the idea of where they want to go. I’m invested in that character. Marvel is greatly invested in that character. If I did it, I’d have to do it while. I still actually wanted to wear a skin-tight catsuit. I don’t know how much longer that’s going to be.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #116
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abudefduf View Post
Clint has the personal relationship with Natasha, so it would work better if it was him.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #117
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

I don't know about killing him off, the poor guy has a family. Just let him retire (this time for real), and then replace him with Kate Bishop. She can be the fun Hawkeye that we should've gotten all along.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #118
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Why does everyone want to kill Hawkeye all the time

Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #119
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Why does everyone want to kill Hawkeye all the time
He has a very special mix of being semi-useless while also being semi-important.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #120
MbJ
Side-Kick

Yeah. He's basically the most expendable member of the original 7 Avengers. Joss Whedon had once mentioned that he can't get kill-happy in the Avengers movies like he is in his independent projects, since he has to justify such a thing to Disney and Marvel. After all, if you kill someone like Captain America or Thor, you're not just killing a character, you're killing a potential franchise.

Hawkeye is in the odd spot where he's a founding member of the team and has had quite a bit of screentime and a number of appearances, but he also has no solo franchise. So you could conceivably kill him for a big emotional beat without having to lose a big movie franchise.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #121
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

But, does it always have to end in death? Do we need to push tons of death in order to manufacture stakes? I think killing a character's benefits need to outweigh future story potential. In Hawkeye's case, being he can be an instant co-star in Widow's solo, I see more potential in keeping than killing. Widow needs a supporting cast.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #122
Zarex
Side-Kick

Instead of killing Clint you could introduce Natasha's new family in the solo project. We would meet Nat's new husband, who against all odds found love again after the tragic death of his first wife (Get it? He's a Widower! They're a perfect match!). And his two adorable young twin daughters, who in just a short period of time have grown extremely close to "Mommy Nat". And who can forget the family's adorable Golden Doodle puppy, Avenger?

Then you kill all of them off, even the widdle doggie. THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR TRYING TO FIND HAPPINESS ROMANOFF!!!!

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #123
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Instead of killing Clint you could introduce Natasha's new family in the solo project. We would meet Nat's new husband, who against all odds found love again after the tragic death of his first wife (Get it? He's a Widower! They're a perfect match!). And his two adorable young twin daughters, who in just a short period of time have grown extremely close to "Mommy Nat". And who can forget the family's adorable Golden Doodle puppy, Avenger?

Then you kill all of them off, even the widdle doggie. THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR TRYING TO FIND HAPPINESS ROMANOFF!!!!
This movie is more cruel than John Wick

Old 01-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #124
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
This movie is more cruel than John Wick
Sounds like a Hydra subplot I've read elsewhere.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #125
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

That plot is so ridiculous, it borders on parody.

The Black Widow movie should just be a Spy Thriller, something like Mission Impossible. Characterization and action with some of that good ol’ Marvel humor. And with Scarlet’s star power, BOOM, another easy $500+ million dollars.

UltimatePyro9 is offline   Reply With Quote