The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #51
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: Feige on Fox/Disney Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekstereo View Post
The main series is definitely in a lull because of Apocalypse and we'll see what Dark Phoenix does later this year. But creatively, after Deadpool and Logan the universe is on the upward (quality wise) especially getting recognized during award season.
I enjoyed both of those films, but neither one is currently connected to the X-Men series. Deadpool and Logan are currently as much a part of X-Men proper as Jessica Jones and Runaways is to the Avengers series.

Quote:
My original point though was that I don't expect us to see the MCU version of the X-Men to at least 2022.
2022 sounds reasonable. But I think Feige and Co. will be introducing the mutants to the MCU well before the big X-Men team up flick.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:12 PM   #52
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
2022 sounds reasonable. But I think Feige and Co. will be introducing the mutants to the MCU well before the big X-Men team up flick.
At the very least they'll throw a Wolverine cameo in for good measure.

Detective Conan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #53
Kev4000
Side-Kick

Im very happy with his Statement.
I only want rebooted characters from Fox in the MCU.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #54
ADollarADay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Conan View Post
At the very least they'll throw a Wolverine cameo in for good measure.
Wolverine should debut in a The Incredible Hulk 2, if they ever get those rights back.

ADollarADay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #55
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADollarADay View Post
Wolverine should debut in a The Incredible Hulk 2, if they ever get those rights back.
Oh! I see what you did there. Yes, it would be a nice nod since every Marvel comics fan worth their salt should know that Logan's very first appearance was in a issue of the Hulk(Incredible Hulk #180 to be precise) where he duked it out with the Green Goliath. Why not have Wolvie's first MCU appearance mirror the character's first ever comics appearance?

But I don't want a Hulk film, though. He's better off as a supporting character on other character's films IMHO.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #56
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADollarADay View Post
The best way to do this is to make it a Wolverine movie featuring The Hulk, the same way Ragnarok did.

UltimatePyro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #57
Marvel united
Avenger

So when the deal closes, will Feige give a statement about where the X-Men fits in the MCU? And how will the cancellation of Fox-Men be announced

Old 01-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #58
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
So when the deal closes, will Feige give a statement about where the X-Men fits in the MCU? And how will the cancellation of Fox-Men be announced
Prior to Spider-Man coming home Sony announced both Amazing Spider-Man 3 & 4 with actual release dates and they were never announced formally by Sony(after they made the deal with Marvel) that were cancelled so assume the same when the X-Men come over to the MCU. Keep in mind that a lot of the upcoming Fox films are still in the early development stage and a sequel to Dark Phoenix hasn't been officially announced. Not much has has been green-light.

Last edited by Detective Conan; 01-31-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #59
ImSGirl95
Doreen Green

^
Not to mention that a F4 sequel was announced with a 2017 release date. And that didn't happen.

"You think of Marvel as the biggest studio in the world, but it’s really just Kevin [Feige] and his two friends... he's all about making something that entertains people but leaves you with something to think about."
ImSGirl95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:10 PM   #60
Marvel united
Avenger

Huh. So it'll probably be swift, silent and sudden. Suddenly we won't hear about anymore Fox-men movies along with the spinoffs (Doom, Multiple Man, Kitty etc) quietly vanishing

Old 01-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #61
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
I think it will be a matter of "here's what we're doing" not "here's what we're not doing".

If the deal closes in December, for example, I'd expect Feige might announce
a date for Deadpool 3 at D-23 or Comic Con the following summer. Other Fox films will likely die.

If pressed on things like Dark Phoenix, I'd expect Feige to say something like: We're looking into that and considering options.

Eventually, it will be clear we're not getting New Mutants 2 or Dark Pheonix 2 and then we'll probably see some X-Men characters showing up in Marvel films and eventually, when they're ready, Feige will probably announce a Marvel X-Film of some sort.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #62
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Release dates mean nothing.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #63
Marvel united
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I think it will be a matter of "here's what we're doing" not "here's what we're not doing".

a date for Deadpool 3 at D-23 or Comic Con the following summer. Other Fox films will likely die.

If pressed on things like Dark Phoenix, I'd expect Feige to say something like: We're looking into that and considering options.

Eventually, it will be clear we're not getting New Mutants 2 or Dark Pheonix 2 and then we'll probably see some X-Men characters showing up in Marvel films and eventually, when they're ready, Feige will probably announce a Marvel X-Film of some sort.
That's a pretty good educated of how it'll happen

Old 01-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #64
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

It would be stupid to announce release dates for movies that we all know will be postponed - if not outright cancelled - the moment the Fox deal is finalized.

"Ladies and gentlemen, here's our slate for Phase 4: Nova! Ant-Man & the Wasp & the Waspette! Moon Boy & Devil Dinosaur! Oh wait nevermind, they're all cancelled because we just officially got the rights for the X-Men back."

Of course Feige already has some plans.

Abudefduf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #65
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
There won't be an announcement. Just pretend Fox-Men doesn't exist anymore.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #66
sleekstereo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post

It will also depend on the revenue of Deadpool 2, Dark Phoenix, and New Mutants. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the mighty dollar.

sleekstereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #67
sleekstereo
Side-Kick

Closing out the Fox X-Men line should not be difficult. In a weird way, Dark Phoenix is the closing of the franchise we should have got in 2006.

One of the panelists on Collider Heroes made a good point that if Dark Phoenix is great, it is the ending of a series most fans have been waiting for 11 years now, especially if they do it right.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #68
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
There won't be an announcement. Just pretend Fox-Men doesn't exist anymore.
They won't announce that it's cancelled. Marvel and Disney would just announce that they intend to make future X-Men movies and use X-Men characters in the MCU.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #69
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Next Year the only Fox Marvel movie we know for sure is happening is New Mutants since that's already been shot. Gambit is the only other movie scheduled for release next year but it's unlikely it'll get made as that film keeps losing directors left and right, and if Tatum walks then that's the final nail in the coffin for that movie ever seeing the light of day. Gambit is the only movie not filmed by Fox that has been green-light--- the rest( Doctor Doom, X-Force, X-23, and Kitty Pryde) have no set release date and are in early development which makes those movies the most vulnerable ones to being axed.

Last edited by Detective Conan; 01-31-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #70
sleekstereo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Conan View Post
Next Year the only Fox Marvel movie we know for sure is happening is New Mutants since that's already been shot. Gambit is the only other movie scheduled for release next year but it's unlikely it'll get made as that film keeps losing directors left and right, and if Tatum walks then that's the final nail in the coffin for that movie ever seeing the light of day. Gambit is the only movie not filmed by Fox that has been green-light--- the rest( Doctor Doom, X-Force, X-23, and Kitty Pryde) have no set release date and are in early development which makes those movies the most vulnerable ones to being axed.
Our of those early developments, they only ones I want is Doctor Doom and X-Force. I know many want Doom introduced in the next FF4 film but honestly I believe he deserves his own film. I want a character study and if Noah sticks around, he is the perfect person to do it.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #71
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Our of those early developments, they only ones I want is Doctor Doom and X-Force. I know many want Doom introduced in the next FF4 film but honestly I believe he deserves his own film. I want a character study and if Noah sticks around, he is the perfect person to do it.
Just pitch the film as the supervillian version of Last King Of Scotland and you're golden.

And take cues from 'Book Of Doom' while you're at it.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #72
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
It will also depend on the revenue of Deadpool 2, Dark Phoenix, and New Mutants. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the mighty dollar.
Well with the weak trailer for New Mutants and serious delay of release, and with Simon Kinberg writing and directing Phoenix, I'm assuming they'll both be pretty terrible.

... but we'll see.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #73
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

On the topic of contingencies, when Feige talked about his contingency planning in 2015, we can presume he had something roughly like:

Plan A: Nothing changes
Plan B: We get rights to Galactus and Silver Surfer
Plan C: We get rights to Doctor Doom
Plan D: We get full FF rights
etc. etc. etc.

And that would be based on the idea that the primary plan, the Plan A, was based on the most likely scenario.

But what is the most likely scenario now?

I would say that there is a 95% chance that Marvel will have all the rights by the middle of 2019 or sooner.

Since it's more likely than not that they will have all the rights relatively soon, their primary long-term plan A should be based on that.

So what they will do with all the rights is no longer the contingency, it should be the primary plan.

So now it should look something like:

Plan A: We have all Fox Character rights plus existing rights.

Plan B: We only have the rights we currently have.

So even though the deal is not official yet, the long-term planning should be based on the idea that it will be. Since the most likely scenario is that the deal will go through, they can't be planning now based on the far less likely scenario that it won't.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #74
NHawk19
insert witty comment

^ There's also a question about whether Fox studios as an entity remains and what their assets and holdings are following the merger.

Marvel may have oversight on all Fox produced movies, but they may all still fly under the Fox flag unless or until there is an internal transfer of those character assets to Disney. Essentially Disney buys Fox, Disney transfers assets to a specific house of mouse (Marvel items to Marvel Studios, Star Wars distribution to Star Wars, etc) , then Disney either folds Fox completely, or operates Fox as a separate entity for items it specifically doesn't want to have the Disney name on such as 'R' Rated content.

I think the Murdoch's keep a 25% stake in the new entity and their role has yet to be determined. So it still may not be as cut and dry as we'd like it to be. Though with people on the board at Fox they could stone wall projects until rights revert back naturally. This process will undoubtedly take time.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #75
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHawk19 View Post
^ There's also a question about whether Fox studios as an entity remains and what their assets and holdings are following the merger.

Marvel may have oversight on all Fox produced movies, but they may all still fly under the Fox flag unless or until there is an internal transfer of those character assets to Disney. Essentially Disney buys Fox, Disney transfers assets to a specific house of mouse (Marvel items to Marvel Studios, Star Wars distribution to Star Wars, etc) , then Disney either folds Fox completely, or operates Fox as a separate entity for items it specifically doesn't want to have the Disney name on such as 'R' Rated content.

I think the Murdoch's keep a 25% stake in the new entity and their role has yet to be determined. So it still may not be as cut and dry as we'd like it to be. Though with people on the board at Fox they could stone wall projects until rights revert back naturally. This process will undoubtedly take time.

I hope and expect the bolded to happen. FOX (and FOX Searchlight) has put out some really great movies that I guess don't fit in the Disney brand. Doing away from those would suck

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote