The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #51
Bach
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Marvel TV running out of steam?

Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel TV is answering questions on Reddit right now.

Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #52
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

No plans at this time for Defenders season 2 in that thread. Knew it!!!

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #53
halo10
Side-Kick

Th Wink Re: Is Marvel TV running out of steam?

I still tend to think some are so dependent on the critics and drawn in on what they say that its set in stone and word of the law, rather than observing and make judgment of what they themselves see and what they like.
Too.many times becuz of the word of the critics,they will already prepare to have their minds made up and opinions made up to think an indifference.

Has there ever been a series or movie(s) that you liked a great deal more than what the critics reviews put down about it?

I thought Jessica Jones 2 was a much more easier path than the 1st season because it had a much better, much faster pace than Jones 1. There were a couple of times. where I thought about giving up on Jones 1 because it was just too slow moving and I thought it had way too much wasted dialogue.

Last edited by halo10; 06-07-2018 at 04:45 PM.
halo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #54
Limonade
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo10 View Post
I still tend to think some are so dependent on the critics and drawn in on what they say that its set in stone and word of the law, rather than observing and make judgment of what they themselves see and what they like.
Too.many times becuz of the word of the critics,they will already prepare to have their minds made up and opinions made up to think an indifference.

Has there ever been a series or movie(s) that you liked a great deal more than what the critics reviews put down about it?

I thought Jessica Jones 2 was a much more easier path than the 1st season because it had a much better, much faster pace than Jones 1. There were a couple I thought about giving up on Jones 1 because it was just too slow moving and I thought it had way too much wasted dialogue.
I think Jessica Jones does a great job at invoking strong emotions from its audience than any Marvel show I have seen. I'm actually more conflicted with season 2, but it felt too drawn out. Though drawing the plot out feels like a problem that all Netflix-Marvel shows have since DD season 2.

Limonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #55
halo10
Side-Kick

Regardless of whether I disagree with some here on marvel series going downhill, I am thankful to see descriptive reasons in explanations.as why some would think that. instead of simple "well, it was just bad" and leave it at that.

halo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:29 AM   #56
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I think if I had to choose, I'd say use phase 4 and 5 to tackle the following:
- Skrulls Secret Invasion
- Thunderbolts (utilizing Thunderbolt Ross, Bruhl's Zemo, and Abomination)
- Masters of Evil (return of Ultron, more of Bruhl's Zemo)
That brings us to like 2024, with a total of around 40 films. Intro F4 and mutants slowly throughout. And then just bring in Silver Surfer to warn of Galactus at the very end of Phase 5.

Phase 6 can then bring in Doom and and phase 7 Galactus. Use these couple phases to start assembling the New Avengers (Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Sam Alexander, Riri Williams?).

Now up to 60 films, in 2030. Perhaps 6 Holland Spidey flicks and another trilogy+ with Miles. And we'll still be wondering "is Marvel running out of steam?

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #57
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I think if I had to choose, I'd say use phase 4 and 5 to tackle the following:
- Skrulls Secret Invasion
- Thunderbolts (utilizing Thunderbolt Ross, Bruhl's Zemo, and Abomination)
- Masters of Evil (return of Ultron, more of Bruhl's Zemo)
That brings us to like 2024, with a total of around 40 films. Intro F4 and mutants slowly throughout. And then just bring in Silver Surfer to warn of Galactus at the very end of Phase 5.

Phase 6 can then bring in Doom and and phase 7 Galactus. Use these couple phases to start assembling the New Avengers (Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Sam Alexander, Riri Williams?).

Now up to 60 films, in 2030. Perhaps 6 Holland Spidey flicks and another trilogy+ with Miles. And we'll still be wondering "is Marvel running out of steam?
This thread is about Marvel TV. Not the movies

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #58
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
I'm still enjoying most of what I'm seeing from the Marvel TV shows, but like all shows they require a great deal of time investment (even compared to the films) so they bleed viewers and interest over time. It is a rare show that doesn't.

Now granted I did skip Inhumans which was reportedly by far their biggest misfire. I even liked Iron Fist (although it was indeed the weakest of the Netflix bunch), but Inhumans just looked so bad that I just couldn't get any sort of enthusiasm to watch it at all.
I think it is the time investment. They are producing 10 hour movies instead of 10 one hour episodes with a linking story. if you are still going after a 3 episode pod then your story is longer than any individual movie.

The other problem is that the MCU world survived an alien, to paraphrase General Talbot let me restate that an alien invasion. When a bullet proof man shows up there should be more questions

Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #59
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPO2 Dalisay View Post
I think it is the time investment. They are producing 10 hour movies instead of 10 one hour episodes with a linking story. if you are still going after a 3 episode pod then your story is longer than any individual movie.

The other problem is that the MCU world survived an alien, to paraphrase General Talbot let me restate that an alien invasion. When a bullet proof man shows up there should be more questions
With streaming and 'binge watching' becoming more common, I actually imagine a future in which the 10-13 hour story becomes something of a standard. I think most novels probably tell an approximately 10 hour story (but a lot has to be cut out when they make a 2 hour movie which is why people often complain that the film isn't as good as the book).

In fact, I actually thought Disney was recognizing that when they were making Inhumans and they were going to give us a big-budget, 10-hour story on Network TV that would change the paradigm and put them ahead of the curve in our march toward the future of 10 hour storytelling.

... but yeah, they whiffed on that one.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #60
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Cloak and Dagger came out and was a very good first two hours, imo.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #61
UltimatePyro9
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Cloak and Dagger came out and was a very good first two hours, imo.
Speaking of, does Cloak and Dagger have a forum section? I don’t think I saw one here.

UltimatePyro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #62
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

There's a thread in Misc TV. When the discussion isn't about the episode itself, it's about how a request for a forum has been made but it hasn't been approved yet. I have no idea how Titans got one first (or how Most Wanted ever got one) but not Cloak and Dagger but the current answer is no and the thread is a bit hard to find at the moment. Hopefully that'll change soon.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #63
Shazam
Side-Kick

Marvel TV is great! Even the weakest one (Iron Fist) is better the the best DC TV show

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #64
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

I have to admit, the one-two nut punch of Iron Fist and The Defenders kinda sucked the life out of the Netflix shows for me. Now, to be clear, parts of The Defenders were really good, but every time Danny shows up it just ruins things. That guy just brings all the suck. And the Hand's evil plot to destroy New York by draining dinosaur bones of magic blood was just painfully stupid even by comic book superhero standards.

However, The Punisher was fantastic and gave the shows new life. I liked Jessica Jones season 2 as well, though it wasn't anywhere near as good as the first. It's just impossible to top Killgrave. Luke Cage season 2 looks awesome though and I can't wait for more Daredevil.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #65
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Default Why does Marvel tv suck so bad compared to Marvel movies?

Don't misunderstand, I know movies are better in general than tv due to bigger budget etc. What I mean is Marvel movies are tips in movie quality, but Marvel shows are meh usually, and iron fist/Inhumans at worst.
I feel like the tv execs need replacing.

Thoughts?

Last edited by random_havoc; 06-25-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Edit
random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #66
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Default Re: Why does Marvel tv suck so bad compared to Marvel movies?

I don't follow any of the Marvel TV shows but isn't Daredevil generally reckoned to be very good?

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #67
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Daredevil - good
Agents of SHIELD - good
Jessica Jones - good
Cloak & Dagger - surprisingly good
Punisher - good
Luke Cage - good
Defenders - good
Iron Fist - so so
Inhumans - meh
Runaways - haven't seen it yet

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype.
It's like rock'n roll never happened."
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #68
MasterCat
Side-Kick

I've heard that Inhumans is among the worst low-budget superhero projects ever. Like Corman F4 level. Is this true?

MasterCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #69
writer0327
Side-Kick

I don't know if this is true at all. Marvel Netflix is solid across the board. Yeah, a couple of seasons didn't land perfectly and I didn't watch Inhumans at all, but Agents of Shield has some pretty good seasons. I would rate the Marvel TV shows as good overall.

1. Avengers: Infinity War - 2. Mortal Engines - 3. Ant-Man and the Wasp - 4. Black Panther - 5. Solo
6. Incredibles 2 - 7. Aquaman - 8. Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald - 9. Ready Player One - 10. Rampage
writer0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:25 PM   #70
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Inhumans is among the worst superhero adaptions ever made, without question.

The rest? Iron Fist is a big bucket of “who cares”, but aside from that Marvel TV is solid across the board.

Daredevil - the best superhero TV show ever made
Jessica Jones - S2 was a disappointing slog but S1 was top tier
Luke Cage - S2 is excellent so far
Defenders & Punisher - neither of these shows got enough love but they were great
Agents of SHIELD - stumbled out of the gate which forever tarnished its reputation but a really good show that’s earned its place in the MCU. Season 4 in particular is excellent
Agent Carter - skip S2 entirely, but I highly recommend any and everyone to watch S1
Cloak and Dagger/Runaways - neither are quite my cup of tea but both are well written and entertaining

That said I’ve long accepted that the shows aren’t ever going to be as good as the movies. DD is the only one that’s gotten close.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 06-25-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #71
Kuwolski
g r u n t - m a n

It doesn't suck in general, there has been great stuff like DD and S1 of JJ. The Runaways is really solid and apparently C&D is very strong as well. The Punisher character has become a fan favorite for many. His first season started off slow but ended strong, and the reception as a whole is very good. The problem is the inconsistency with mediocre shows (imho) like LC and IF (both 6's or 7's for me), and terrible shows like Inhumans (0...1 at best). I haven't seen AoS. Aside from DD S1, you could make the argument that nothing else lived up to it's potential (to varying degrees), or even captured the imagination like DD across the board, but that certainly doesn't make them bad, just disappointments.

This points to one thing, leadership. I'm not sure how much sway Ike still has in the TV department, but I believe his presence is certainly felt. Then we look at Loeb. Aside from no costumes (in general), or the fact that things need to feel as real or gritty as possible, he doesn't seem to have a strong vision for Marvel TV or a strong sense of the characters in some cases. And I would call that creative laziness more then anything. Is this completely on him? Probably not, but he hires the creative teams and has the most influence (I assume). Then there is the budgets, which are obviously an issue for some characters more then others (see Inhumans).

Last edited by Kuwolski; 06-25-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Kuwolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #72
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Daredevil - Great
Agents of SHIELD - meh
Jessica Jones - Good - Great
Agent Carter - Decent
Cloak & Dagger - haven't seen
Punisher - Great
Luke Cage - Good - Great
Defenders - Good
Iron Fist - meh
Inhumans - awful
Runaways - Decent, only seen half

Tradition is just dead people's baggage.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:08 PM   #73
MasterCat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Inhumans is among the worst superhero adaptions ever made, without question.

Agents of SHIELD - stumbled out of the gate which forever tarnished its reputation but a really good show that’s earned its place in the MCU. Season 4 in particular is excellent
How can it have a place in the MCU? Isn't everything from Season 2e20 on all about Perlmutter's all-new non-Kirby Inhumans, which Marvel Studios will never acknowledge exist, especially if the Fox deal gets them the X-Men?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 PM   #74
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

I think the Inhumans is the closest Marvel will ever get to making something as bad as Fan4stic.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #75
MasterCat
Side-Kick

So how do the worst comic book films and TV rank?

Is Fan4stic worse than Corman's version?
Is Inhumans worse than Captain America starring Big McLargehuge as Steve's son?