The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I set last Friday as a key date. I felt that if they had any serious intention of making another bid, they needed to say something by Friday or risk having Fox shareholders forget about them as they went about the business of closing with Disney.

It's still not over, but I feel confident that at this moment, Comcast doesn't have immediate plans to offer another bid.

That could be because they're having trouble raising money and/or because there is disagreement among members of the board, but I think at least one of those two things (and possibly both) is standing in the way of another bid.

But even so, things could change. New money could be freed up or the hold-out board members could be convinced to bid one more time.

But I believe that if they had a clear path to another bid, they would have let people know that so that the process wouldn't go too far before they had a chance to offer that bid.
It's fine for them to come back with a much higher FINAL bid at a later date but if they were to do so then shareholders would have wanted to know by now that they are still working on something.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurphftw View Post
I know Direct TV carries Root Sports which televises the Mariner games around here. However they don't carry the Pac 12 network which means many college football games are missed unless you have cable.

There's obviously an opening there for Sattelite networks, if they would quit making unforced errors like not carrying the regional sports networks.
I haven't really looked into it recently, but back when I was investigating it, the government was protecting cable companies like Comcast by not allowing other services (like Dish or DirectTV) to carry local programming.

The cable companies had lobbied and argued that they invested all that money in infrastructure and they didn't want other companies swooping in and taking 'their' customers. And the government passed laws to give them what they wanted.

That may be changing, but if so, it's probably changing slowly, and I'm afraid I might not be able to get everything I want even if (as in the article I posted above) the new service promises me I can.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
It's fine for them to come back with a much higher FINAL bid at a later date but if they were to do so then shareholders would have wanted to know by now that they are still working on something.
Yeah, they'd really be slapping the face of shareholders who might have stood up for them if they come out of nowhere with a bid.

With each day that passes without a bid and without any mention of a bid, shareholders get more firmly of the mindset: "Well, I guess it's going to be Disney then. Let's finish this up."

And the closer they are to finishing it up, the less interested Fox shareholders will be in scrapping everything to start over - even with a higher bid.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Midnight release parties? Cool, but will anybody show? We're not talking Harry Potter here. I almost wish they didn't even bother rather than risking an embarrassing turnout.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-aut...tastic-four-1/

Old 07-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Peyton Reed recently spoke more about the possibility on bringing The First Family into the MCU.

Quote:
You got close to making a Fantastic Four movie at Fox in the early 2000s. If Marvel Studios gets the rights to Fantastic Four in a potential Disney-Fox merger, would the prospect of getting to make a movie with those characters still interest you?

Reed: The Fox merger, if it is in fact a reality, is something that's so out of anybody's hands right now. … If it were to happen, it's no secret that I have a huge affection and affinity for the Fantastic Four. I was talking to Joss Whedon a couple of weeks ago about when I first saw his Avengers movie. That's the closet thing tonally to what I had in mind for Fantastic Four, in terms of daytime Manhattan, fighting in the streets. It really felt great. Right around the time we were developing Fantastic Four, the first Incredibles came out. [I thought,] "OK, that's a great Fantastic Four" movie. It's a family of heroes, the powers are shockingly similar, if not copycats of the Fantastic Four. I loved The Incredibles.

There are certainly time where we sit around and I talk to Kevin — Kevin knows, because Kevin was around at Marvel when I was developing Fantastic Four. Also knowing now, it is an entirely different landscape than when those first movies were made. There would be definitely some reinvention to be had, but that would still excite me. No question about it.

I know fans are already thinking, The Fantastic Four could be in the Quantum Realm the whole time. Maybe Peyton can just bring them out of there?

Reed: There are definitely a lot of very cool ways I think you could effortlessly introduce them into that universe.

Last edited by Detective Conan; 07-02-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
daytime Manhattan, fighting in the streets
I like the sound of that.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Marvel united
Avenger

I'm not sure I want a period piece F4 film

Old 07-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

He may be able to modernize his existing concept to fit a modern MCU.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #11
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I was a little concerned about Reed, but Ant-Man and the Wasp is getting good reviews and I'm liking everything he's saying... so I'm on-board.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
I'm not sure I want a period piece F4 film
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Yeah, I'm assuming he would do a completely different story since whatever he was imagining in the early 2000's probably wouldn't work the same now that we've seen and done so much.

But I trust Marvel, I trust Feige and I trust Reed. Whatever they come up with will have me there for the midnight show.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #13
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was a little concerned about Reed, but Ant-Man and the Wasp is getting good reviews and I'm liking everything he's saying... so I'm on-board.
I hope Reed collaborates with Brad Bird a bit. Between those two they should be able to get it right.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #14
The Infernal
Spinning Fidgeter

Read that as Reed Richards and not Peyton Reed. lol

Old 07-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #15
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

I know there is talk that if/when Marvel Studios gets back F4 and the X-men, they won't be in Phase 4 as there would 'be no time to bring them in", but I don't think that's the case...

I think they will be inserted in either the middle or end of Phase 4 and not only that, their inclusion may be what pushes Marvel Studios to go to 4 movies a year on some years. KF did say they could go to 4 movies a year if there was a good enough reason...this qualifies.

Ironman=A, The Incredible Hulk=C+, Ironman 2=B-, Thor=B+, Captain America:The First Avenger=B+, The Avengers=A, Ironman 3=C+, Thor: The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A+, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B, Ant-man=B+, Captain America:Civil War=A, Doctor Strange=B+, Galaxy of the Galaxy Vol 2=B, Spider-man:Homecoming=A-, Thor:Ragnarok=A-,Black Panther=A,Avengers:Infinity War=A, Ant-man & the Wasp=B+, Captain Marvel=?, TA4:??=?, ?=?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #16
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
KF did say they could go to 4 movies a year if there was a good enough reason...this qualifies.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #17
MasterCat
Side-Kick

One thing to take into consideration is that Disney won't want to cannibalize its own profits. Look what tentpoles it's already staked for 2020, not counting Avatar 2:
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/160...e?story_page=3

Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #18
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I hope so. One of the problems with having the Fantastic Four exist in the 60's is the continuity problems it would cause.

The MCU already has 60's legacy characters in Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyme. In the the flashback scene set in 1989 from the first Ant-Man, Hank Pym mentions Howard Stark with no mention of Reed Richards. If Fantastic Four already had existed in the 60's then surely Pym would've given some mention of his friend/rival Reed Richards.
In Spider-Man Homecoming there's murals that showcase the prominent scientist in MCU history that includes Howard Stark & Bruce Banner. If Reed Richards who's one of the smartest men on the planet; who's the leader of the ultra-popular superhero quartet that calls themselves the "Fantastic Four" doesn't get a mural that celebrates his genius alongside other fellow scientists in the MCU then he must've been a crappy scientist.

The Fantastic Four have to be in modern day IMO.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #19
MasterCat
Side-Kick

What if the studio has Peyton Reed chomping at the bit to do 1960s Fantastic 4 and no one interested in 2020s F4? Delay them until they find the right director?

Old 07-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
Tymminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCat View Post
One thing to take into consideration is that Disney won't want to cannibalize its own profits. Look what tentpoles it's already staked for 2020, not counting Avatar 2:
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1608940/Upcoming-Disney-Movies-Every-Film-The-Studio-Plans-To-Release?story_page=3
I think some of those may be place holders, but I think they will space them accordingly. Feige mentioned 4 movies as a possibility and he would not have said it if they were not at least thinking of it.

2020 may be a tad early then what I'm thinking anyway, more like 2021 or so, but yeah, I feel they are coming and the only way they won't be in Phase 4 is if they don't own them, which at this stage it's looking more and more likely the will have them before the end of this year.

Ironman=A, The Incredible Hulk=C+, Ironman 2=B-, Thor=B+, Captain America:The First Avenger=B+, The Avengers=A, Ironman 3=C+, Thor: The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A+, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B, Ant-man=B+, Captain America:Civil War=A, Doctor Strange=B+, Galaxy of the Galaxy Vol 2=B, Spider-man:Homecoming=A-, Thor:Ragnarok=A-,Black Panther=A,Avengers:Infinity War=A, Ant-man & the Wasp=B+, Captain Marvel=?, TA4:??=?, ?=?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #21
Hellion
Oppa Is Here

I'd just like to say as, I just need a Doom... DOOM!... that is as much a wielder of the mystic arts as he is a genius.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Keep Hope Alive discussion.

I'm a big Disney XD Superhero Fan:
Aaron Stone (2009-2010) * Skyrunners (2009) * Lab Rats/Lab Rats: Bionic Island (2012-2016) * Mighty Med (2013-2015) * Lab Rats: Elite Force (2016) * Mech-X4 (2016-????)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #22
MasterCat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
I'd just like to say as, I just need a Doom... DOOM!... that is as much a wielder of the mystic arts as he is a genius.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Keep Hope Alive discussion.
Doom is the really important person here.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #23
Tymminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Conan View Post
I hope so. One of the problems with having the Fantastic Four exist in the 60's is the continuity problems it would cause.

The MCU already has 60's legacy characters in Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyme. In the the flashback scene set in 1989 from the first Ant-Man, Hank Pym mentions Howard Stark with no mention of Reed Richards. If Fantastic Four already had existed in the 60's then surely Pym would've given some mention of his friend/rival Reed Richards.
In Spider-Man Homecoming there's murals that showcase the prominent scientist in MCU history that includes Howard Stark & Bruce Banner. If Reed Richards who's one of the smartest men on the planet; who's the leader of the ultra-popular superhero quartet that calls themselves the "Fantastic Four" doesn't get a mural that celebrates his genius alongside other fellow scientists in the MCU then he must've been a crappy scientist.

The Fantastic Four have to be in modern day IMO.
Hmmmm...

Well, you didn't know how great Pym was until Ant-man. And Pym mentions Stark but only because Stark was brought up and it was not even in a positive way. In that movie (or any movie) if Reed had no need to be brought up, he wouldn't be, like in real life. As far as why Reed's picture wasn't there in SM:H, they can say he was on the opposite wall (that you don't see) with other scientists or literally any other excuse. That's not really a problem.

For example, in real life Lincoln is a pretty famous president, It's safe to say everyone in the US (who I know anyway) knows who he is and if he is brought up, they can say something about him. Yet despite this, I have not read or heard anything about him from anyone in at least 3 weeks, same for Einstein, Prince or Britney Spears.

I'm sure SOMEONE out there mentioned these people to someone else, but in my life around those I work with and hang out with, they have not been mentioned once in that time. In the case of Lincoln, I am actually close to someone when they were were working on their Doctorate over a decade ago, they wrote a thesis on him and at the same time, nothing in the last 3 weeks (at least) from her.

Now with those facts, within the time of a 2 hour movie, do you really think we (as viewers to the MCU) will know all the scientists that Pym or anyone else knows if they are not specifically brought up for a reason?

Long story short, no mention from within a 2 hour movie doesn't really mean anything and should never be considered a continuity error of any sort.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #24
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Peyton Reed seems to clearly indicate he doesn’t intend to make the same film he envisioned 20 years ago. And if Feige says: “Here’s the framework for the FF film I want you to make.”, I think he’d be happy to work within that framework.

If they go retro, it will be because that’s the story Feige wants to tell. And if Feige wants a contemporary story, he’ll get Reed or someone else to direct it.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 07-02-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #25
Tymminator

Quote:
Peyton Reed seems to clearly indicate he doesn’t intend to make the same film he envisioned 20 years ago. And if Feige says: “Here’s the framework for the FF film I want you to make.”, I think he’d be happy to work within that framework.

If they go retro, it will be because that’s the story Feige wants to tell. And if Feige wants a contemporary story, he’ll get Reed ir someone else to direct it.

Closed Thread