The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-05-2018, 01:08 AM   #76
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
The fact that Comcast and Universal are one company and AT&T and Warner now are one company are much much more closer to a monopoly than a Disney-Fox will ever be. But haterzz gonna hate for no reason.
Comcast is already slowing down and/or limiting the quality of certain streaming content from other providers now. They do it with YouTube specifically, and probably with Amazon and others. Services that don't pay get throttled. As more of its competitors (WB, Disney) start their own streaming services, Comcast will throttle them, too. So will AT&T and other ISPs.

Frankly, it would be ideal for all of the big content providers to either own or be owned by ISPs in order to have the leverage to keep their streams flowing freely. Perhaps the Alphabets see this and will start their own round of acquisitions soon. It would be hilarious if, after all these machinations, AT&T and even Comcast got gobbled up by the likes of Apple and Amazon.

It’s something that’s easy to take for granted, growing up in the United States as a white male, that my cinematic heroes look like me...It’s something that over the course of these ten years, having a certain amount of power over what type of movies are made and what type of actors we hire, I want everybody to have that feeling. We don’t take it for granted that people want to see themselves reflected in our heroes and our characters.
xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:17 AM   #77
Marvel united
Avenger

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

I wonder what is going on with Comcast. Complete radio silence

Old 07-05-2018, 02:48 AM   #78
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
I wonder what is going on with Comcast. Complete radio silence
It's just the calm before the **** storm. Expect a response and for them to throw a curveball.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #79
Cobalt Panther

The phrase "No news is good news" has never been so true until now. I'm just counting down the days until they finally vote.

Cobalt Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #80
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Panther View Post
The phrase "No news is good news" has never been so true until now. I'm just counting down the days until they finally vote.

Comcast could still try to do something, but every day they delay makes Disney's position stronger and theirs weaker.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #81
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post

Comcast could still try to do something, but every day they delay makes Disney's position stronger and theirs weaker.
I think it boils down to what we heard last. That they were reportedly looking for Investment partners for a larger deal. I wouldn't doubt that many of them aren't interested in trying to tangle with Disney.

Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #82
Zarex
Side-Kick

The longer we hear nothing from Kabletown the greater the possibility that the shareholder vote stays on the 27th. Even if Roberts comes through with a mega offer within the next couple of weeks I think Rupert will push his preferred Disney deal through.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #83
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I bet we'll hear something on July 26th, the day before the shareholder vote. Or the morning of the 27th, just as shareholders are about to cast their votes.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #84
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The longer we hear nothing from Kabletown the greater the possibility that the shareholder vote stays on the 27th. Even if Roberts comes through with a mega offer within the next couple of weeks I think Rupert will push his preferred Disney deal through.
If Comcast makes another offer at this point, and it isn't crazy, over-the-top high, I'd expect something like the following from the Fox board.

"Look, we've already delayed the vote once. We've already sent ballots out twice. Comcast didn't give us any warning this was coming and people have already made travel arrangements to be at the meeting.

Since the ballots have already gone out with the simple 'yes/no' on Disney we're going to move forward with the vote being 'yes/no' on Disney.

Anyone who wants to stop the process to consider the Comcast offer, vote no and we'll stop the process and regroup. If shareholders still want to move forward with the Disney deal, they can vote 'yes'. We are recommending a 'yes' vote because the Disney deal is approved, nearly done and a near certainty as opposed to the Comcast offer which might not be approved and even if approved will take far longer to close."

And if it plays out that way, any votes that were cast prior to the Comcast offer (most likely 'yes's) would count against Comcast. And they'd have no one to blame but themselves. If they seriously intend to make another offer, they need to say something sooner rather than later, and they better be prepared to make a BIG offer.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #85
WeaponXCII
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Panther View Post
It's strange- I've been incessantly coming back to this page and other "nerd sites" hoping for some sort of update, but then I realize that, if anything does come before the 27th, it's likely to be something we all dread.

WeaponXCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #86
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponXCII View Post
It's strange- I've been incessantly coming back to this page and other "nerd sites" hoping for some sort of update, but then I realize that, if anything does come before the 27th, it's likely to be something we all dread.
Back when our biggest worry was that Fox would announce a new FF film, I started thinking: "Every year there's no announcement at Comic-Con means we're one step closer."

Now every day is a big deal. Just 22 more to go.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #87
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
It's just the calm before the **** storm. Expect a response and for them to throw a curveball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I bet we'll hear something on July 26th, the day before the shareholder vote. Or the morning of the 27th, just as shareholders are about to cast their votes.

Brian Roberts has now been driven to post in SHH under the username Dark Raven now..

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #88
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's the anticipation of the MCU being whole. It really is that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Back when our biggest worry was that Fox would announce a new FF film, I started thinking: "Every year there's no announcement at Comic-Con means we're one step closer."

Now every day is a big deal. Just 22 more to go.
If you really want to get OCD about it, it is technically 16. Usually these guys don't work on the weekends. :P

Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #89
DyfeddRex
Side-Kick

Great... Bankers are driving this, when it is guys like me who work weekends to afford a movie...

DyfeddRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #90
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Bankers say Comcast may not bid on all 21st Century Fox assets Disney is set to buy: Gasparino

- Comcast is expected to make their move next week.

- Disney bankers believe Comcast will likely bid for only part of the Fox assets(most likely their international assets like Star India).

- Brian Roberts, Bob Iger, Rupert Murdoch will all be there at a media conference next week ...perhaps they will be there to discuss a comprise so Comcast stops mucking up the deal? (*AdollarAday is rolling his eyes & laughing at my ignorance with my wishful thinking, I bet).

Guys, to quote a certain dead sorcerer "we're in the end game, now."

Last edited by Detective Conan; 07-05-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Detective Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #91
Marvel united
Avenger

Comcast seems to want a deal

Old 07-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #92
DyfeddRex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Conan View Post
Bankers say Comcast may not bid on all 21st Century Fox assets Disney is set to buy: Gasparino

- Disney bankers believe Comcast will likely bid for only part of the Fox assets(mostly likely the international assets like Star India).

- Brian Roberts, Bob Iger, Rupert Murdoch will all be there at a media conference next week ...perhaps they will be there to discuss a comprise so Comcast stops mucking up the deal? (*AdollarAday is rolling his eyes & laughing at my ignorance with my wishful thinking, I bet).

"Tony, it was the only way."

DyfeddRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #93
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Comcast seems to want a deal

https://twitter.com/CGasparino/statu...28449303216130

You may be right.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #94
MasterCat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Commentor correctly notes that collusion is forbidden.
Definitely not saying Comcast will walk away with nothing, but it has to be beyond any appearance of collusion or the 21st Century Fox shareholders could riot even if Rupert Bear's in that press conference.

MasterCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #95
Detective Conan
Side-Kick

Disney Q3 Earnings Outlook Dims On ‘Solo,’ M&A “Uncertainty” – Analyst
Quote:
Because of the bidding war with Comcast over 21st Century Fox assets, Disney will no longer be buying back $20 billion of its own stock anytime soon, as it had initially planned, Cahall predicts.
The battle for Fox has erupted after nearly six months of calm. Last December, Fox had accepted Disney’s $52.4 billion offer for the studio and network assets and rebuffed Comcast. prompting the entire industry to prepare for a Disney-Fox future.
In June, though, after AT&T was given the green light to buy Time Warner by a federal judge, Comcast came back aggressively with a counter-offer. That led Disney to raise its offer to the current level of $38 a share, or $71.3 billion. Cahall expects the brawl to continue, and that will have implications for Disney’s financial state.
“The ball is now in Comcast’s court to respond to Disney’s offer, which benefits from being 50% stock so as to lessen the balance sheet strain,” Cahall writes. Because the Department of Justice required Disney to agree to divest of Fox’s regional sports networks in order to gain approval for the deal, the projected $20 billion to $25 billion value of the RSNs gives Disney some maneuverability. In Cahall’s view, that component “suggests Disney can afford to pay even more for Fox.”
Because Comcast is doing the same calculations, Cahall added, “we wouldn’t be surprised to see Disney and Comcast bidding into the $40s” per share — meaning the $80 billion range. “As such, we expect Disney to be somewhat range-bound until the dust settles.”

Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #96
WeaponXCII
Side-Kick

Quote:

- Disney bankers believe Comcast will likely bid for only part of the Fox assets(mostly likely the international assets like Star India).

This wouldn't affect the rights reverting, would it?

Old 07-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #97
Marvel united
Avenger

Quote:
This wouldn't affect the rights reverting, would it?
No. 20th Century is a domestic asset, Comcast only wants the international assets.

If they're allowed to bid on them, it sounds like we win either way

Old 07-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #98
WeaponXCII
Side-Kick

Quote:
No. 20th Century is a domestic asset, Comcast only wants the international assets.

If they're allowed to bid on them, it sounds like we win either way
I like the sound of that!

Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #99
Iceman
Infinity War!

Lots of reasons for optimism now. I can’t imagine Comcast would be delaying without saying anything if they were planning to come back with just a much bigger offer. Really it would show a lack of forethought as Disney’s response should definitely have been on their list of possible reactions to their bid, and they should have already thought about what their own response would be to that possibility. The delay would make more sense if there was some kind of twist to what they do next or if they were going an alternative route to the original plan (like only bidding on part of the assets).

Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #100
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I hope there is no twist. It needs to be a straightforward route to victory.