The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #101
fixxxer
...goes to 11

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Ahoy, lads and lassies! Haven't posted in years, and it's wonderful to see some of the same ol' faces, um, usernames still kicking around. And some new ones as well.

As my three year old and I were playing with his (our? ) set of 3.75 inch Avengers fighting off hordes of Ultrons, many warm and fuzzy SHH memories quickly came flooding in. So here I am. And yes, many a "Ultrrrron! We would have words with thee!" were uttered.

Now, on to the business-end of things, which I will defer to the more big-business-savvy among us...

Assuming the (now, seemingly unlikely) worst-case scenario of Comcast coming out as winners in the Fox deal, would Disney have some recourse to recover FF, since the movie rights would (in all probability) be non-transferable to a third party? Or since Fox has been wholly acquired, might it be argued that the rights haven't been transferred at all? And yet, might Comcast/Fox be persuaded to relinquish the FF movie rights via a buy back or some other agreement with Disney.

I'm just trying to find some upside embedded within a downside-heavy hypothetical here.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #102
Raiden
Wakanda Forever

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Ahoy, lads and lassies! Haven't posted in years, and it's wonderful to see some of the same ol' faces, um, usernames still kicking around. And some new ones as well.

As my three year old and I were playing with his (our? ) set of 3.75 inch Avengers fighting off hordes of Ultrons, many warm and fuzzy SHH memories quickly came flooding in. So here I am. And yes, many a "Ultrrrron! We would have words with thee!" were uttered.

Now, on to the business-end of things, which I will defer to the more big-business-savvy among us...

Assuming the (now, seemingly unlikely) worst-case scenario of Comcast coming out as winners in the Fox deal, would Disney have some recourse to recover FF, since the movie rights would (in all probability) be non-transferable to a third party? Or since Fox has been wholly acquired, might it be argued that the rights haven't been transferred at all? And yet, might Comcast/Fox be persuaded to relinquish the FF movie rights via a buy back or some other agreement with Disney.

I'm just trying to find some upside embedded within a downside-heavy hypothetical here.
If Comcast buys Fox and keeps the Fox movie studio, then none of the IP will be reverted back to Marvel. And given the bad blood between Comcast and Disney, I seriously doubt Roberts would be charitable enough to relinquish the rights either; he'd rather make more FFINO movies than let them go back to their rightful owner.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:24 PM   #103
fixxxer
...goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
If Comcast buys Fox and keeps the Fox movie studio, then none of the IP will be reverted back to Marvel. And given the bad blood between Comcast and Disney, I seriously doubt Roberts would be charitable enough to relinquish the rights either; he'd rather make more FFINO movies than let them go back to their rightful owner.
*shudders*

We be playing for keeps, then! Jeez! Go Disney, the corporate entity!

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #104
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Peyton Reed made some comments about FF -if he were to do it they would be in the 60s and treated like the Beatles -and then lost in space and then fish out of the water -returning much like cap into the present day. I like the cut of his jib!

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK
Stark Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:15 AM   #105
Stark Bauer
Wants 2b cast as Darkhawk

Hi Willie Lumpkin!
Here is the article regarding Fantastic Four
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/07/...ur-interested/

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” - MLK
Stark Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:52 AM   #106
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Bauer View Post
Hi Willie Lumpkin!
Here is the article regarding Fantastic Four
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/07/...ur-interested/

I stand by the fact that the Fantastic Four, the comics, are the crown jewels kind of thing and that I think there is still an amazing, unbelievably great Fantastic Four movie to be made,” Reed said.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:45 AM   #107
Marvel united
Avenger

It's cool to have someone so passionate about the Fantastic Four in the MCU. Reed seems like he really wants to do them right

Old 07-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #108
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
It's cool to have someone so passionate about the Fantastic Four in the MCU. Reed seems like he really wants to do them right
Yeah, the contrast between Reed and Kinberg is so stark. It drove me crazy reading comments from Kinberg basically saying the FF wasn't that great and they had to be 'fixed' to work on the big screen etc.

The more Reed says, the more excited I get.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #109
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Old 07-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #110
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Bauer View Post
Peyton Reed made some comments about FF -if he were to do it they would be in the 60s and treated like the Beatles -and then lost in space and then fish out of the water -returning much like cap into the present day. I like the cut of his jib!
Pretty much what I was hoping they'd do. It maintains their "first family" status, while providing an easy-enough explanation as to where they've been this whole time.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #111
Crimz
Side-Kick

Always have and always will hate the 60s idea.

Plus it would be too "Incredibles", you want the least amount of comparison possible.

Crimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #112
Zarex
Side-Kick

I have always loved the 60s idea. It gives the team their own space apart from the Avengers in which to shine, gives us a view of an MCU time frame we have yet to explore, opens up lots of cool cameo opportunities, and gives the FF MCU flick a look distinctive from the failed Fox films. And with time travel established in the MCU it wouldn't prevent Johnny hanging with Peter or Ben punching Bruce.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #113
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I'm still not completely sold on a retro FF, but Feige has earned my trust.

I can't wait to see how Feige integrates the FF, and I'll be looking forward to it no matter what the setting.

And I have to think if Peyton Reed is talking like this, Feige must be giving him some encouragement from behind the scenes. If Feige was saying, "Hey, whoa, slow down, Peyton.", he wouldn't be out there talking it up like he is.

And I can't overstate how exciting it is to hear someone who is a fan talking about doing it. It was so dreary and depressing reading interview after interview with Simon Kinberg talking about how the FF are so hard to do and need to be updated etc. The idea of someone who really likes them and wants to show the world why he likes them, as opposed to someone who thinks making the film is a cumbersome chore, is so refreshing after what we've been through.

While Reed has never really tackled a film on the scale of FF before, he did make the potentially laughable idea of a guy who could shrink and talk to ants work (without, by the way changing it to make it more 'grounded'), so he has the skill to translate the craziest of comic-book elements to the screen in a way that works.

I'm open to anything Feige decides to do, but I love what Peyton Reed is saying. So it's nice (as long as Comcast doesn't f*** it all up) to know that we'll either get Peyton Reed... or somebody Feige thinks is even a better fit.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 07-06-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #114
Zarex
Side-Kick

One reason I am down with a Peyton Reed 60s era adaptation is "Down with Love" a movie that looked wonderful but got mixed reviews. I liked it a lot, and Reed perfectly captured the 60's aesthetic. AV Club did a write up today on Reed's second feature film.

https://www.avclub.com/before-pallin...ton-1827229429

Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #115
Abudefduf
Custom User Title

Reed also happens to be the least interesting director currently working for Marvel Studios (the jury is still out on Boden and Fleck), though, so... keep him away from the F4, please.

Abudefduf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #116
Crimz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I have always loved the 60s idea. It gives the team their own space apart from the Avengers in which to shine, gives us a view of an MCU time frame we have yet to explore, opens up lots of cool cameo opportunities, and gives the FF MCU flick a look distinctive from the failed Fox films. And with time travel established in the MCU it wouldn't prevent Johnny hanging with Peter or Ben punching Bruce.
The problem with the 60s idea is that it reinforces the false belief that the team does not work in the modern era. It's also really bad for one member of the team, Sue. She will always be in the Invisible Girl era which was simply horrible for the character.
It also makes the team feel even more like the Incredibles that are set in that period too, something that they should avoid. I also don't want any time wasted on fish out of water stories if they come to the present, those type of stories are tired and should not be apart of the FF.

Being set in past isn't even unique anymore, we've had:

Captain America: First Avenger
X-Men First Class (which was set in the 60s too)
X-Men DoFP
Guardians of the Galaxy being very 80s inspired
X-Men Age of Apocalypse
The upcoming X-Men Dark Phoenix
The upcoming Captain Marvel

A 60s setting would not make them feel unique.

And while I love Peyton Reed's passion, I don't believe he's the right choice for the job. I think he should be a consultant on the project though.

Last edited by Crimz; 07-06-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Crimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #117
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abudefduf View Post
Reed also happens to be the least interesting director currently working for Marvel Studios (the jury is still out on Boden and Fleck), though, so... keep him away from the F4, please.
He's not exactly lighting my fire either, but then again the bar for this franchise has been set so low that he quite literally wouldn't be the worst choice in the world.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #118
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
The problem with the 60s idea is that it reinforces the false belief that the team does not work in the modern era. It's also really bad for one member of the team, Sue. She will always be in the Invisible Girl era which was simply horrible for the character.
It also makes the team feel even more like the Incredibles that are set in that period too, something that they should avoid. I also don't want any time wasted on fish out of water stories if they come to the present, those type of stories are tired and should not be apart of the FF.'
I'm certain Feige and company could give us a modern era FF film that works wonderfully. But after three failed attempts I definitely think a retro version is the way to go. It would allow the team to visually stand out in an era of peak superhero and provide the answer to the question "Why didn't the Avengers help?" when the team gets into a jam. It's an era we haven't seen before in the MCU and I would love the First Family to show us around.

Comparisons to the Incredibles are inevitable, but similarities between a live action FF and its wildly successful animated counterpart could be a good thing for the Box Office. Folks are definitely fond of movies about superhero families with a retro aesthetic. And we can avoid the fish out of water story by ignoring it. I doubt very much Reed Richards would bat an eye if suddenly plopped into the 21st century.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #119
Big Bang
Side-Kick

To the surprise of nobody.

Murdoch May Get Billions by Picking Disney Stock Over Comcast Cash

Quote:
Comcast would need to raise its all-cash offer by 42 percent to $49.87 a share, or $92 billion total, to give the Murdochs the same immediate benefit of $11.8 billion offered under Disney’s deal, according to calculations by Bloomberg, which assume the Murdochs would take all their proceeds solely in stock and the cost-basis of their Fox holdings are negligible. In this scenario, the Murdochs wouldn’t be taxed on the Disney shares until they sold them.
Comcast needs to go a lot higher than they may be comfortable with.

Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #120
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I don't really see Peyton Reed saying: "I intend to do a retro FF."

That was one story he was working on 20 years ago, but everything has changed since then.

That's just one idea (that is being mentioned because it's something that ties Reed to the FF), and if Kevin Feige wants to do a retro film, he'll do it with or without Peyton Reed. And if Kevin Feige wants to do a current film, he'll do it with or without Peyton Reed.

Maybe the idea of a young Hank Pym would tie in, but if so, Peyton Reed isn't making those decisions.

For now, I'm more focused on Reed as a director. I'm not going to write him off or jump on board based on the potential of a retro film, because I think that's a detail that isn't really dependent on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
It's also really bad for one member of the team, Sue. She will always be in the Invisible Girl era which was simply horrible for the character.
I have zero concern about this. Sure there were some cringe-worthy panels in the old comic books, but nobody's locked into those.

This happened:

But nobody's saying: "Damn it! Now we have to include that in the next Batman film."

Even with some of the cringy moments, Sue was generally shown to be a strong, smart capable woman. Maybe if you had asked Stan or Jack at the time, they would have said: "Yeah, she's smart... for a girl." But there's no reason sexism of the time needs to be overtly integrated into a film written today and set in the past. In fact, I think it would be interesting to see a skilled writer and director have her deal with some of those issues as a smart, strong, capable woman stuck in that environment.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 07-06-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #121
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I'm certain Feige and company could give us a modern era FF film that works wonderfully. But after three failed attempts I definitely think a retro version is the way to go. It would allow the team to visually stand out in an era of peak superhero and provide the answer to the question "Why didn't the Avengers help?" when the team gets into a jam. It's an era we haven't seen before in the MCU and I would love the First Family to show us around.

Comparisons to the Incredibles are inevitable, but similarities between a live action FF and its wildly successful animated counterpart could be a good thing for the Box Office. Folks are definitely fond of movies about superhero families with a retro aesthetic. And we can avoid the fish out of water story by ignoring it. I doubt very much Reed Richards would bat an eye if suddenly plopped into the 21st century.
I've always been down for a 60's take on the first family, comparisons to The Incredibles be damned, for their introduction and disappearance. The Incredibles are good company and not a hindrance if you ask me. They're family, all be it distant, after all.

Twitter- @mrpink13
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #122
Shinobi Shaw
Side-Kick

60's Fantastic Four could end up being a big ass love letter to the golden age of Marvel Comics with a bunch of Easter eggs and cool designs, making it look like a living comic book. That could be alright aesthetically. Maybe show Reed and them getting grants from Tony Stark's father and them working with Hank Pym as far as MCU connections.

But then it's just a rehash of the Captain America movie. MCU is repeating themselves. And if they've been up in Suspended Animation for that long without him, then Doom would be like what? 100?

I don't know.

Shinobi Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #123
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi Shaw View Post
But then it's just a rehash of the Captain America movie. MCU is repeating themselves. And if they've been up in Suspended Animation for that long without him, then Doom would be like what? 100?

I don't know.
With vast wealth, time traveling technology, a life sustaining armored suit and mastery of dark magic, there's no reason to put an expiration date on Victor.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #124
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi Shaw View Post
60's Fantastic Four could end up being a big ass love letter to the golden age of Marvel Comics with a bunch of Easter eggs and cool designs, making it look like a living comic book. That could be alright aesthetically.
This is the biggest upside I see to a retro-take. Pull the design directly out of the comic books and have Kirby's wacky, clunky 1960's futuristic designs be a star of the film.

Something like this:

Wouldn't work in today's world of cell-phones, but as high-tech 'steam-punkish' designs created back in the day of vacuum tubes, they could be really cool.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #125
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I don't really see Peyton Reed saying: "I intend to do a retro FF."

That was one story he was working on 20 years ago, but everything has changed since then.

That's just one idea (that is being mentioned because it's something that ties Reed to the FF), and if Kevin Feige wants to do a retro film, he'll do it with or without Peyton Reed. And if Kevin Feige wants to do a current film, he'll do it with or without Peyton Reed.

Maybe the idea of a young Hank Pym would tie in, but if so, Peyton Reed isn't making those decisions.

For now, I'm more focused on Reed as a director. I'm not going to write him off or jump on board based on the potential of a retro film, because I think that's a detail that isn't really dependent on him.

I have zero concern about this. Sure there were some cringe-worthy panels in the old comic books, but nobody's locked into those.

This happened:

But nobody's saying: "Damn it! Now we have to include that in the next Batman film."

Even with some of the cringy moments, Sue was generally shown to be a strong, smart capable woman. Maybe if you had asked Stan or Jack at the time, they would have said: "Yeah, she's smart... for a girl." But there's no reason sexism of the time needs to be overtly integrated into a film written today and set in the past. In fact, I think it would be interesting to see a skilled writer and director have her deal with some of those issues as a smart, strong, capable woman stuck in that environment.
Yeah, that's red Batman. Suuuuuuuuuuuuure

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote