The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #51
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Default Re: Kevin Fiege vs other producers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Marvel didn’t put out any real ‘R’ rated comics until the Marvel Knights, Max era in the late 90s besides some of the 70s black & white out of canon stuff. I don’t get why that is something they would need to necessarily go out of their way to do.

I’m more anxious about seeing Atlantis, the Savage Land, and Mt. Olympics in the MCU rather than I am seeing an R rated movie.
That's a good point.

I do want to see them make an R-rated movie some day, but there are plenty of other things I'd like them to get to first. Not to mention that the Netflix stuff (which has generally been really good, IMO) is scratching my itch for adult-related Marvel content.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #52
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
Now ain't you a daisy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Honest question... Have you ever read any Moon Knight?

Well, I was obviously kidding but no, I have not read any Marvel or DC comic books, they have never been that big here in India and my exposure to these characters have all been through cartoons, games and movies.

While I understand that from all accounts, Moon Knight as a character needs to be rather dark and broody, I do not think making an entire movie "humorless" is a requirement to do him right. Maybe he as a character can be humorless but like with Nolan's DK films, there are places to put in humor and make them work even in these dark and gritty settings.

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:43 AM   #53
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
Well, I was obviously kidding but no, I have not read any Marvel or DC comic books, they have never been that big here in India and my exposure to these characters have all been through cartoons, games and movies.

While I understand that from all accounts, Moon Knight as a character needs to be rather dark and broody, I do not think making an entire movie "humorless" is a requirement to do him right. Maybe he as a character can be humorless but like with Nolan's DK films, there are places to put in humor and make them work even in these dark and gritty settings.
For context to fully understand where Roose is coming from:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Knight

Why does having a tone similar to THE RAID equal having no humor at all? Why do people assume that a serious tone etc. and concentrating on the dramatics and action or getting into some more mature themes or the like means "absolutely no humor what so ever"? Lethal Weapon one and two, Die Hard, Aliens... Some of the best action films of all time are known for handling their ideas seriously but also having humor... Just in the appropriate amounts. A Marc Spector adaptation would have lots of chances for appropriate humor, black humor in the Tarantino vein, sure, but humor none the less. What it probably shouldn't have if you are being faithful to the character is humor the way GOTG or TR had. Why is this concept beyond so many? There's no reason a super hero film HAS to have a joke on screen every five to ten minutes to make it legitimate AND wanting less of that doesn't mean zero humor. Is a binary way of thought the only thing people are capable of these days?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ To Be Continued A Fanboy Podcast: THE INCREDIBLES 2 Spoiler Review Discussion.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #54
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Quote:
For context to fully understand where Roose is coming from:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Knight

Why does having a tone similar to THE RAID equal having no humor at all? Why do people assume that a serious tone etc. and concentrating on the dramatics and action or getting into some more mature themes or the like means "absolutely no humor what so ever"? Lethal Weapon one and two, Die Hard, Aliens... Some of the best action films of all time are known for handling their ideas seriously but also having humor... Just in the appropriate amounts. A Marc Spector adaptation would have lots of chances for appropriate humor, black humor in the Tarantino vein, sure, but humor none the less. What it probably shouldn't have if you are being faithful to the character is humor the way GOTG or TR had. Why is this concept beyond so many? There's no reason a super hero film HAS to have a joke on screen every five to ten minutes to make it legitimate AND wanting less of that doesn't mean zero humor. Is a binary way of thought the only thing people are capable of these days?
I am not sure if you are addressing me in the second para of this post, but you are basically saying what I already said in the earlier post.

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #55
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
You have to also look at the circumstances and the characters. Jackman has been in/cameoed in every movie except the Deadpool movies which he was still mentioned in? He was doing a last hurrah and of course, you can take a chance when you're not looking to extend the character or the series.

Further, how many R-Rated characters can really be done? Punisher? Who has it's own Netflix series. Blade and Midnight Suns?
I'd actually really like an R-rated Blade movie. Maybe if Marvel doesn't want to put that in theaters they could put it on Netflix.

That's actually something I was thinking about while watching Luke Cage - even though I'm enjoying season 2 more than season 1, and think it's another worthy addition to the MCU, I wish they'd stop making 13 1-hour episodes and instead spend the budget on a two hour movie instead.

Quote:

Why does having a tone similar to THE RAID equal having no humor at all? Why do people assume that a serious tone etc. and concentrating on the dramatics and action or getting into some more mature themes or the like means "absolutely no humor what so ever"?
You do realize that the quote he was responding to specifically said "completely devoid of humor", right?

Last edited by Flint Marko; 07-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote