The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #26
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Default Re: Feige: "more than half of [heroes] will be women."

I can see Stan being a legacy Cap, I am not saying it is 100% certain, but I can see it as a possibility.

Ironman=A, The Incredible Hulk=C+, Ironman 2=B-, Thor=B+, Captain America:The First Avenger=B+, The Avengers=A, Ironman 3=C+, Thor: The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A+, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B, Ant-man=B+, Captain America:Civil War=A, Doctor Strange=B+, Galaxy of the Galaxy Vol 2=B, Spider-man:Homecoming=A-, Thor:Ragnarok=A-,Black Panther=A,Avengers:Infinity War=A, Ant-man & the Wasp=B+, Captain Marvel=?, TA4:??=?, ?=?
Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #27
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Okay, now that I've read the whole thread, I'm disgusted enough about the chauvinism some of you prefer to show, that I honestly consider just leaving the Hype. When did diversity stop being a good thing for you lot? when did your hate-filled...no, I stop here, some of you are just not worth it

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #28
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Invisible Woman
Storm
Psylocke
Phoenix
Rogue
Shadowcat
Jubilee
Dazzler
Emma Frost
Polaris
Captain Marvel
Black Widow
Wasp
Scarlet Witch

I can see phase 4 having more female heroes. Now if only they could introduce and make solo flicks for She Hulk and Spider-Woman, that would just be fabulous.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #29
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Okay, now that I've read the whole thread, I'm disgusted enough about the chauvinism some of you prefer to show, that I honestly consider just leaving the Hype. When did diversity stop being a good thing for you lot? when did your hate-filled...no, I stop here, some of you are just not worth it
I think it's more amazing what little it apparently takes for someone to get 'disgusted' enough to leave a forum.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #30
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

This is a stupid discussion. Why does diversity instantly equal bad to some of you? Like honestly, I don't care what direction the %'s sway in the future. Add as many females and minority characters as you want Marvel, as long as the characters you introduce are cool (as they usually are) and the movies are good, you have my money. Honestly, Marvel has plenty of awesome female characters to use yet.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #31
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCat View Post
"They want Bucky to become the second Captain America" is the best theory for why they offered his actor a 9-film contract. I won't believe that's a pipe dream without a better theory.
The best theory it may be, but since when have the MCU provided the obvious? They're always teasing the fans with what may be, only to do something else.

Despite desire (maybe?) Bucky isn't going to become the next Captain America - I'd bet my house on it! Once Steve Rogers departs the MCU, Bucky will continue on (as) Bucky. There wont be no passing on the mantle. There'd be no purpose for it, short of "it happened in the comics" but there's a hella' lot of stuff that happened in the comics that we'll never see in the MCU - Bucky as Captain America is one such thing.

I honestly don't see any legacy characters; no Spidergwen, no Ironheart, no She Hulk. The MCU isn't going to last forever, and they're going to want to produce as many original characters as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCat View Post
Moondragon is Drax's daughter. Moon Knight is Batman with less money and multiple personalities.
My bad; least I got half the name right!

Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #32
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash525 View Post
The best theory it may be, but since when have the MCU provided the obvious? They're always teasing the fans with what may be, only to do something else.

Despite desire (maybe?) Bucky isn't going to become the next Captain America - I'd bet my house on it! Once Steve Rogers departs the MCU, Bucky will continue on (as) Bucky. There wont be no passing on the mantle. There'd be no purpose for it, short of "it happened in the comics" but there's a hella' lot of stuff that happened in the comics that we'll never see in the MCU - Bucky as Captain America is one such thing.

I honestly don't see any legacy characters; no Spidergwen, no Ironheart, no She Hulk. The MCU isn't going to last forever, and they're going to want to produce as many original characters as they can.

I agree with you...except on She-Hulk. I think She-Hulk is coming at some point. She is one of the more iconic unused female characters still out there. She's also not a legacy character. Yes, she has the "Hulk" branding, but she has never been offered as a Hulk replacement. She's very much her own character.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #33
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I agree with you...except on She-Hulk. I think She-Hulk is coming at some point. She is one of the more iconic unused female characters still out there. She's also not a legacy character. Yes, she has the "Hulk" branding, but she has never been offered as a Hulk replacement. She's very much her own character.
IIRC, she is stuck in Comcast controlled licensing hell.

Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #34
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bang View Post
IIRC, she is stuck in Comcast controlled licensing hell.
That just means they cannot do a She-Hulk movie. Like Hulk, they can use her in a supporting role elsewhere.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #35
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
That just means they cannot do a She-Hulk movie. Like Hulk, they can use her in a supporting role elsewhere.
I'm not sure. Since she is considered a supporting character (under contract) the situation could be dicier. Maybe like how none of his villains have been used since TIH.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #36
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure. Since she is considered a supporting character (under contract) the situation could be dicier. Maybe like how none of his villains have been used since TIH.
Ross has appeared and Talbot has been in AoS. Also, I am not sure where his rights fall, but Absorbing Man has been on AoS, and given the Ang Lee movie basically made his dad Absorbing Man, that would be another character the MCU used after TIH.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #37
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is a stupid discussion. Why does diversity instantly equal bad to some of you? Like honestly, I don't care what direction the %'s sway in the future. Add as many females and minority characters as you want Marvel, as long as the characters you introduce are cool (as they usually are) and the movies are good, you have my money. Honestly, Marvel has plenty of awesome female characters to use yet.
Yep. We will have had 20 Marvel movies led by men before Captain Marvel (I'm including Ant-Man and the Wasp, because reviews say it's still Scott and even Hank's story more than Hope's).

Yet, hearing Marvel might finally be moving the spotlight to some of its awesome women characters is treated with suspicion and derision? (shrugs)

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #38
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Yep. We will have had 20 Marvel movies led by men before Captain Marvel (I'm including Ant-Man and the Wasp, because reviews say it's still Scott and even Hank's story more than Hope's).

Yet, hearing Marvel might finally be moving the spotlight to some of its awesome women characters is treated with suspicion and derision? (shrugs)
Odd because I saw several people who said it is about 50/50. Guess I will see tonight!

Old 07-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #39
SPO2 Dalisay
Vigilante

The controversy I guess is a social one. The "more than half" being the contentious point. It goes to the belief that if females had the same physical strength as men then women would be most of the combatants. The other side thinking that there are real gender differences which lead to our motivations and will to fight. But then that belief also ask why those women who do become combatants do so.

Quote:

I happen to agree about Sergeant Barnes. It was a great task to give a reason for Steve Rogers to wear the American flag as his suit and to just graft that flag onto Barnes, or Wilson for that matter, won't sell the movie or character to a global audience. They have already pushed the White Wolf on screen twice.

That being said about the MCU and forever. I say Wakanda forever. Feige, RDJ or the Chris's won't last forever but then the decision becomes do we reboot because Iron Man was like James Bond or roll forward because it wasn't Iron Man that sold the MCU it was RDJ?

Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #40
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Nobody has a problem with diversity. Nobody is against including female heroes. Saying more than half of the heroes should be female sounds like he's more interested in appealing to the feminists than the core audience.

Laderlappen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #41
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ross has appeared and Talbot has been in AoS. Also, I am not sure where his rights fall, but Absorbing Man has been on AoS, and given the Ang Lee movie basically made his dad Absorbing Man, that would be another character the MCU used after TIH.
That's kind of what makes the whole thing sticky. Most of have appeared on TV more than film (except for Ross), and those sets of rights are separate. What is interesting is that Ross hasn't really been in the same movie as Hulk since TIH. I wonder if having multiple characters from his line appear in a movie may present an argument to Universal that their distribution rights aren't being respected, so Marvel opts to avoid that by streamlining the number of (Hulk) characters that appear in any single movie. It's a bit of a legal pickle.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #42
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laderlappen View Post
Nobody has a problem with diversity. Nobody is against including female heroes. Saying more than half of the heroes should be female sounds like he's more interested in appealing to the feminists than the core audience.
Again, why? As a comic fan don't we love characters like She-Hulk, Storm, Invisible Woman, etc. as much as we do guys like Adam Warlock? Why is starting to use that section of your universe, when in the past is has been ignored, is an issue? Just on the law of averages, women and men are close to 50/50. The MCU doesn't represent that ratio at this point, so what's the problem with evening that out? The MCU has been attempting to grow its fan base over time since the beginning. I see no problem with making some movies geared for women and starring women. I mean, don't women watch these movies too?

Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #43
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
That's kind of what makes the whole thing sticky. Most of have appeared on TV more than film (except for Ross), and those sets of rights are separate. What is interesting is that Ross hasn't really been in the same movie as Hulk since TIH. I wonder if having multiple characters from his line appear in a movie may present an argument to Universal that their distribution rights aren't being respected, so Marvel opts to avoid that by streamlining the number of (Hulk) characters that appear in any single movie. It's a bit of a legal pickle.
Ross and Banner were both in IW

Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #44
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laderlappen View Post
I think it is just bad wording on his part. There are plenty of female heroes that core fans would love to see that haven't been used yet and that is what he is trying to promote. IMO.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #45
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know enough about the She-Hulk character to say otherwise, so will take your word on that. Maybe it's time to do a little light reading on her.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #46
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ross and Banner were both in IW
Speaking role only though. He wasn't actually seen.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #47
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't know enough about the She-Hulk character to say otherwise, so will take your word on that. Maybe it's time to do a little light reading on her.
I highly recommend it. She-Hulk is a great character and had a great solo book where she was a lawyer for a while. Read that run

Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #48
Shinobi Shaw
Side-Kick

Riri Williams should get her MCU movie shot.

We already lost Misty Knight and Colleen Wing to Netflix.

Shinobi Shaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #49
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Speaking role only though. He wasn't actually seen.
Who, Ross? Yes he was. He wasn't just a voice, he was a holographic projection like the World Council in TWS was. He was physically seen.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #50
Big Bang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Who, Ross? Yes he was. He wasn't just a voice, he was a holographic projection like the World Council in TWS was. He was physically seen.
It was such a quick scene that I probably got it wrong. Still, either way his inclusion was minimal at best. I think the actual issue gets raised if you have multiple characters in a more prominent role.