Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:45 PM   #126
X Knight
Hope

Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
30-50 would be plenty and even at 30 you should see a big difference. The data cap is crucial of course.
yeah. and of the 2, I'd say data cap is more important.

if given the choice to have higher speed or higher/unlimited data cap, I'd choose the latter.

I looked at my usage history for the past year, and it looks my normal monthly usage is around 200 - 300GB. but some months were more, around 400 - 500GB. If I had the X and had to download more 4K files, I worried that would push me very close to the 1TB limit on those high usage months, with not much room for any additional leeway. I might be able to squeak by, but it would be pushing it. and I would have to be constantly wary of my data usage throughout the month - which isn't very fun....lol. it would put constraints on the rest of my family, too.

That's a big reason why I decided to go with the S instead.

anyways, I enjoy having these conversations with you, Iceman. you're always a big help when it comes to the technical, audio/video side of things.

Last edited by X Knight; 07-31-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #127
X Knight
Hope

so, is there any way to manually check for an update to a game or app?

Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #128
Iceman
Infinity War!

I thought they all download automatically.

Data cap more important for sure as long as you have a minimum speed.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #129
X Knight
Hope

ah, thanks Iceman.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #130
Iceman
Infinity War!

You can set it to the mode where they download while you're away too if that's of interest.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #131
X Knight
Hope

^ yes. Instant On. that's what I have it set as.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #132
Iceman
Infinity War!

Great! Should mean a lot less delays. I used to hate compulsory updates last gen when you log on with only an hour to play and it eats up most of your available time.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #133
X Knight
Hope

^ that's still an issue when you first get the game and need to do the mandatory install and initial update. which can ruin days like Xmas, Thanksgiving, or other Holidays when you want to play some brand new games on your day off.

that's one thing I like about the Switch. you just stick the cartridge in, maybe do a quick initial update, and you're good to go.

Last edited by X Knight; 08-01-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #134
Iceman
Infinity War!

I just tried a Switch for the first time and it really feels quite fresh being able to do some of the simple things we'd forgotten.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #135
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
I just tried a Switch for the first time and it really feels quite fresh being able to do some of the simple things we'd forgotten.
yeah. it does bring you back to the "good old days" when playing games was "simpler."

have you decided to buy the Switch ( if you can find one )?

I got lucky about a month ago when I finally came across one in the wild.

Haven't really used it much, though. Kind of wish it had a bit more functionality and features like the Virtual Console.

But it will come in handy during the holidays this year, cuz I can play Zelda or Mario while I download games like Crackdown 3 and Forza 7 on the X1.

If Nintendo can get the supply issues down, the Switch could do MONSTER #s this Holiday season. If nothing else, it would be the only console where the kids can truly just plug in and play right away compared to the other 2 consoles. That would be a boon for parents.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #136
terry78
I don't die, fool

I recently ordered this from 4G Community. Claim is that data caps and throttling don't exist but we'll see.

https://www.4gcommunity.org/community-store/

Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #137
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I recently ordered this from 4G Community. Claim is that data caps and throttling don't exist but we'll see.

https://www.4gcommunity.org/community-store/
which item/product did you buy from that store?

also, what's your Gamertag, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #138
terry78
I don't die, fool

The premium 3 month zte pocket wifi. I haven't played in a minute but it's purdue78.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #139
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
yeah. it does bring you back to the "good old days" when playing games was "simpler."

have you decided to buy the Switch ( if you can find one )?

I got lucky about a month ago when I finally came across one in the wild.

Haven't really used it much, though. Kind of wish it had a bit more functionality and features like the Virtual Console.

But it will come in handy during the holidays this year, cuz I can play Zelda or Mario while I download games like Crackdown 3 and Forza 7 on the X1.

If Nintendo can get the supply issues down, the Switch could do MONSTER #s this Holiday season. If nothing else, it would be the only console where the kids can truly just plug in and play right away compared to the other 2 consoles. That would be a boon for parents.
It's totally good enough for me to buy but I'm not in the market for new consoles right now unless they give me backward compatibility (even if I have to rebuy all games digitally) to their previous iterations. Finally have access to a Switch at least which I definitely felt I was missing out on.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #140
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
The premium 3 month zte pocket wifi. I haven't played in a minute but it's purdue78.
ah, thanks.

I'll send you a friend request later on. My GT is KnightXE if you want to add me.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #141
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
It's totally good enough for me to buy but I'm not in the market for new consoles right now unless they give me backward compatibility (even if I have to rebuy all games digitally) to their previous iterations. Finally have access to a Switch at least which I definitely felt I was missing out on.
hmm.....yeah, BC on the Switch would have to come in the form of digital or Virtual Console. or else more Wii U "remasters" like Mario Kart 8.

I would love to see more Wii and Wii U games available on the Switch, since I missed those consoles entirely. Switch is the 1st Nintendo console I've owned since the Gamecube....lol.

Of course, I want classic NES/SNES games, too, through the VC. I really hope they add that soon.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #142
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
hmm.....yeah, BC on the Switch would have to come in the form of digital or Virtual Console. or else more Wii U "remasters" like Mario Kart 8.

I would love to see more Wii and Wii U games available on the Switch, since I missed those consoles entirely. Switch is the 1st Nintendo console I've owned since the Gamecube....lol.

Of course, I want classic NES/SNES games, too, through the VC. I really hope they add that soon.
I would like to see N64 and Gamecube as I missed those too. I don't mind paying for old games that I bought back then. If they do long term BC and honour it with future consoles then it feels like a future investment in your gaming pleasure. If they all did that I'd own one of each console and upgrade whenever I felt like it to the newest console (not necessarily straight away with all 3).

Old 08-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #143
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
I would like to see N64 and Gamecube as I missed those too. I don't mind paying for old games that I bought back then. If they do long term BC and honour it with future consoles then it feels like a future investment in your gaming pleasure. If they all did that I'd own one of each console and upgrade whenever I felt like it to the newest console (not necessarily straight away with all 3).
yeah.

that's one thing I like about what MS is trying to do with Xbox - the emphasis on BC and F(uture)C and the spanning of multiple console generations.

I fired up Dragon Age Origins last night, and it really brought me back to playing that game on my 360 back in 2009 ( almost 10 years ago, holy ****! ). I'm so glad I can do that with my Xbox 1, and that I don't have to own a separate console ( a 360 ) to be able to do that.

I look forward to playing other 360 BC games on my X1 ( and OG Xbox games in the future ), and there are some more games I'd like them to add to the BC list, like SF x Tekken, Soul Calibur V, the Beenox Spider-Man games, etc.

Last edited by X Knight; 08-01-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #144
Iceman
Infinity War!

The 360/PS3 gen was amazing with so many great games. I want to be able to play them in future on the new console of the time rather than having to dig up some old brick. I hope hard drives keep getting cheaper and cheaper so we can have everything in one place.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #145
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
The 360/PS3 gen was amazing with so many great games. I want to be able to play them in future on the new console of the time rather than having to dig up some old brick. I hope hard drives keep getting cheaper and cheaper so we can have everything in one place.
and internet speeds to get faster and data caps to become a thing of the past.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #146
Iceman
Infinity War!

Yes haha.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #147
X Knight
Hope

speaking of hard drives, I wonder how the external drives will compare to the "50%" faster drive in the X?

The faster drive in the X is supposed to load games faster and work better with the 4K assets. but does that mean if we run games from the external drive instead ( as I do now ), will we then not see the benefits of faster load times, etc.?

Last edited by X Knight; 08-01-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #148
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
speaking of hard drives, I wonder how the external drives will compare to the "50%" faster drive in the X?

The faster drive in the X is supposed to load games faster and work better with the 4K assets. but does that mean if we run games from the external drive instead ( as I do now ), will we then not see the benefits of faster load times, etc.?
Yeah that needs to be clarified. I can do some testing to see if I notice any difference.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #149
X Knight
Hope

Quote:
Yeah that needs to be clarified. I can do some testing to see if I notice any difference.
yeah, they do need to clarify that. and I look forward to your testings and findings.

I'm sure at some point there will be external drives available that match the X internal drive. Maybe MS will even partner with Seagate or WD to come up with one.

I still think the X should have come with a 2TB hdd at minimum. if I'm paying a premium price, I kind of expect a larger hdd.

perhaps that's a benefit of waiting. maybe they will release a 2TB version ( hope it isn't limited edition ) down the line.

cuz that internal 1TB ( or really only 700gbs or so ) will NOT last long with all those 4K assets.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #150
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
yeah, they do need to clarify that. and I look forward to your testings and findings.

I'm sure at some point there will be external drives available that match the X internal drive. Maybe MS will even partner with Seagate or WD to come up with one.

I still think the X should have come with a 2TB hdd at minimum. if I'm paying a premium price, I kind of expect a larger hdd.

perhaps that's a benefit of waiting. maybe they will release a 2TB version ( hope it isn't limited edition ) down the line.

cuz that internal 1TB ( or really only 700gbs or so ) will NOT last long with all those 4K assets.
Can you remind me to do that as it's something I really want to test but not the kind of thing I'd remember at the time. I paid a lot for my 8TB hard drive so I hope they make it easy for me to upgrade or whatever the best way to progress is.

Closed Thread