The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #1
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Default Remember the Phantom Menace Hype of 98/99?

I remembered 19 years ago on ET (Entertainment Weekly live) and in magazines that Lucas was gonna write a new prequel trilogy and i was excited especially when i saw that video of Lucas getting an idea to do the trilogy. In 97 after the special edition releases in theaters they announced the name of the movie on the internet and air waves as i was 15/16 and said "What does Phantom Menace mean? hmm strange title" and in 98 when i was 17 i remembered being pumped up for the trailer as i hadn't welled up in a long time as i grew up with the old school trilogy and had a glow in my heart about it with excitement as i always wanted another one since the 80s.

I remembered seeing Pleasantville in theaters as heard the teaser was gonna play and i went in to see the teaser as i was gasping and saying yay. I even saw the trailers on the internet and all that as i was smiling with joy and it was gonna be my number one movie of 1999 and everyone else who loved the old movies.

I skipped school as did a few of my friends as we went to one of the 3 malls in my city being one of the major malls and were in line as i couldn't believe the day to be when i saw a new SW movie in theaters as the only ones i saw in theaters were the special edition version of the OT. I couldn't believe it once i went in to finally see it as i remembered the previews especially to Tarzan and all as i couldn't wait to see that and then the Lucasfilm logo as we all cheered as i was wearing a Darth Vader shirt and all as the opening scroll and some people were freaking out with the joy. Then the movie started and when Jar Jar came to the scene i said "What? I've got a terrible feeling about this" as i was right as there was a glow from my heart then fall down into the stomach then i decided "Maybe i can go see it again and see if on a repeated viewing" as i was very disappointed in the film but had to see it again and again yet it was not growing on me but still a bummer i tell you.

Last edited by Hordakfan; 02-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
smallville fan
Hero

Default Re: Remember the Phantom Menace Hype of 98/99?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordakfan View Post
I remembered 19 years ago on ET (Entertainment Weekly live) and in magazines that Lucas was gonna write a new prequel trilogy and i was excited especially when i saw that video of Lucas getting an idea to do the trilogy. In 97 after the special edition releases in theaters they announced the name of the movie on the internet and air waves as i was 15/16 and said "What does Phantom Menace mean? hmm strange title" and in 98 when i was 17 i remembered being pumped up for the trailer as i hadn't welled up in a long time as i grew up with the old school trilogy and had a glow in my heart about it with excitement as i always wanted another one since the 80s.

I remembered seeing Pleasantville in theaters as heard the teaser was gonna play and i went in to see the movie to see the film itself and the teaser as i was gasping and saying yay. I even saw the trailers on the internet and all that as i was smiling with joy and it was gonna be my number one movie of 1999 and everyone else who loved the old movies.

I skipped school as did a few of my friends as we went to one of the 3 malls in my city being one of the major malls and were in line as i couldn't believe the day to be when i saw a new SW movie in theaters as the only ones i saw in theaters were the special edition version of the OT. I couldn't believe it once i went in to finally see it as i remembered the previews especially to Tarzan and all as i couldn't wait to see that and then the Lucasfilm logo as we all cheered as i was wearing a Darth Vader shirt and all as the opening scroll and some people were freaking out with the joy. Then the movie started and when Jar Jar came to the scene i said "What? I've got a terrible feeling about this" as i was right as there was a glow from my heart then fall down into the stomach then i decided "Maybe i can go see it again and see if on a repeated viewing" as i was very disappointed in the film but had to see it again and again yet it was not growing on me but still a bummer i tell you.
Are you the guy from 3:42?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #3
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Nope but i like those fans on People vs George Lucas

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Aztec
Side-Kick

The hype was very real. I remember it very clearly. It's a shame the end product did quite live up to well...anything.

Carrie/Machete Order: 4 films..Best Narrative Structure Possible
Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I went to the first Star Wars Celebration in Denver that year. And I saw it twice on opening day. The midnight show (the same theater where I saw ROTJ on opening day 16 years earlier), and then again later that day.

The final product was what it was...but it was still fun.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Bim
Side-Kick

Heck, yes, i remember the hype lol.

Despite of what one thought of the end product, it was such a fun time to be a Star Wars fan.

Like i did with all PT movies, i left work early to catch the first showing (we dont have midnight shows in my country), and it was packed, filled with people in costumes. I remember seeing jedi, Maul and even handmaidens. Very cool, it was just an incredible feeling to be there.

My favorite parts were the podrace and the duel, of course. I think Duel of the Fates just became part of my dna after the movie, it was so powerful!. I loved seeing young Obi-Wan, but thought he needed to be featured more. That's always been my biggest gripe with TPM (Jar Jar didnt annoy me that much lol). I liked Qui-Gon and love Liam, but i would have preferred seeing Obi-Wan do what Qui-Gon did. It would have brought Anakin and Obi closer imo.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
jonathancrane
Hank Pym > Scott Lang

I do remember it.

I remember I tried to collect all of the Mountain Dew collector cans, and spent more time than I care to admit - I was in second grade-playing as Obi-Wan (I had the lightsaber and braid cosplay piece that came together in a package,) with my cousin, who was Qui-Gon.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
KevanG
Brony

I remember it. One of my best friends from Middle School had tickets to the first showing in the city and we all had Star Wars toys that we begged our parents to get us along with the usual nickle toys from chip bags and such. I used to have a Darth Maul keychain, funny enough he broke off in the middle a few weeks after I got him before I saw the movie.

It was fairly crazy all around my school and no one would shut up about it as everyone had seen the originals, even the kids who were too 'cool' to care, still went rabid over it.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

I remember a lot of Pepsi can collecting and double-bladed products.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
Ultron-5
Hail HYDRA.

I remember those pizza hut lids and stuff.

Ultron-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
bullets
bang bang

My friends dad waited hours in line to get us tickets and we took the day off school. It was epic to see on opening day. Later that evening we went to Kay bee toys and bought plastic lightsabers so we could have duels. I really didn't walk out disappointed either. Jar jar and the kid saying yippee were my only gripes.

bullets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

I recall it as if it were yesterday. I remember my friend & I stood in line for a couple of hours watch it. I also remember the toy hype for it, Wal-Mart had a section cornered off in secrecy & they couldn't release any of the action figures till after midnight when the movie debut.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
james-in-cali
Side-Kick

I was 16 and in high school. I remember it well, probably 100 people from my school waited in line with countless others for 6+ hrs for the midnight showing. Didn't go to school the next day. Everyone I spoke to was extremely disappointed but saw it at least 4 times in the theater. I did the same for clones, I waited for DVD for sith out of protest.

james-in-cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

I was just 7/8 Years old at that Time. but I remember the Commercials & Posters everythere.

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

I wasn't even into SW back then, but the hype had such a reach that I would get TPM stuff even without wanting it. My aunt gave me and my cousins some swag she won by getting gas at Mobil. Then I saw the film, fell in love, bought toys, watched the OT and collected the entire sticker album. It wasn't until way later that I surmised that some people (most people?) had been disappointed by it. Watching it now I get it, but I will always like the movie.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I remember my science teacher talking to the class about it and this classmate saying something about "young Luke" and the whole class riled up against him.

I think I was about 12 in 1999, and I didn't quite understand my step father's disappointment. It was a fun time looking back at it, I think of coca cola and pop corn.

Great Mind(s) is online now   Reply With Quote