Paul Bettany 96 15.64%
Jason Lee 13 2.12%
Voters: 614. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #2576
my0pic_spidey
20ft cape wingspan

Default Re: Joker Casting Threads [merged-24]

Lolx Haha!! i read an article somewhere crispin was questioned after the show why he did what he did to letterman and his response was "what a crazy thing to do!"

are you ready to begin? can't wait for batman to begin again
Old 07-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #2577
bbb
Keysi-Kick

I'll say give kevin bacon a chance

check this pic out http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/2787/Events/2787/KevinBacon_Pimen_4261508_400.jpg?path=pgallery&pat h_key=Bacon,%20Kevin

Old 07-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #2578
The Kid
AMERICA FTW

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/03270...20Kevin&seq=62

Which one will Nolan Chooooooooose?????

Old 07-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #2579
mongo44
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just a couple new ones to throw out (and a bit risky). But I think all three have solid track records. None have played anything like the Joker, but I believe all three have the range to accomplish it.

Peter Sarsgaard

Zach Braff

John McGinley

Just throwing out some new ideas

Old 07-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #2580
BatmanRules33
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo44
Just a couple new ones to throw out (and a bit risky). But I think all three have solid track records. None have played anything like the Joker, but I believe all three have the range to accomplish it.

Peter Sarsgaard

Zach Braff

John McGinley

Just throwing out some new ideas
why must ppl on here pick random actors off the net and say they could play joker? stupid......none of these could do joker, let alone will they get the part, GOD!

Old 07-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #2581
mongo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanRules33
why must ppl on here pick random actors off the net and say they could play joker? stupid......none of these could do joker, let alone will they get the part, GOD!
I totally disagree 100% with your reply. I did not pick them “randomly off the net” nor do I agree with your criticism due to their skills. All three are solid performers and (more importantly solid actors). They have mild similarities to Joker at best. Give me a great actor with prosthetics to play the part of Joker over some hack like Jim Carrey any day.

As far as “why must ppl...” this is called the “Joker Casting Thread” so individuals such as myself will “post” in such a thread. But I am swayed by your rational and well thought out logic, so I will not continue to post my opinion about possible Joker choices and yield to the hundreds of suggestions that Law, Glover, or whoever is the favorite in this thread should be cast instead. (YAWN)

Like Nolan is hiding under some user name going, “gee whiz, I never thought about casting Tim Roth as the Joker. Maybe I should go with what the fans want. Thank you fanboy gods!”

Old 07-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #2582
spanish39
King of the Wicker People

I disagree as well Batman Rules, Zach Braff has a good acting ability, maybe not for Joker but still, he is much better than Glovlove and actually Sarsgard has been recomended by myself and others as a possible candidate. John C. McGinley, ehh, he has had some good roles like in "Highway", not someone I would pick but still.

Don't be mad if people throw out some names because thats what everyone on here does and sometimes it draws attention to things we look for but may have overlooked on some people. Keep an open mind and don't assume things about fellow posters like he is just grabbing names off of google or imdb or something cause you know what that means when you assume.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #2583
BatmanRules33
Side-Kick

well it certianly seems like it! so ya cant blame me! and also, i just dont like any of the "casting" ppl are doing on here, i have not seen one likely good canidate or joker IMHO, most of the ppl on here are probly doing this for fun, but if you guys are being serious, then nah, havent seen any good ppl for joker yet, nor do i recognize half the actors on here, so in short no, still waiting for that perfect guy i can say should be joker. thats all. dont mean to be an ass.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:59 AM   #2584
Detective Flass
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish39
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...96#post6093896
Other Joker stuff from here that we have been talking over, maybe it can be helpful or at least fun to skim thru.

HAPPY, Age is important because the last guy was like almost 50, or wait, was JAck 50 yet? Either way he was OLD, too old for The Joker. We don't want this time around and besides this is a younger take on the whole thing, the whole franchise. No one over 30 or 35 really.
That's very retarded. IMO, The Joker should be under 45, anything over that is too old. I've always pictured The Joker in his late 30's early, 40's. It's stupid you cut out the best actors of the bunch (Depp, Penn, and Roth), and think awful actors like Crispin Glover and Lachy Hulme a suitable.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #2585
Detective Flass
Banned User

Quote:
Like Nolan is hiding under some user name going, “gee whiz, I never thought about casting Tim Roth as the Joker. Maybe I should go with what the fans want. Thank you fanboy gods!”
I take it you've never been to batman-on-film.com? David Goyer said, and I quote: "I know in the case of Batman, a lot of the people at Warner Bros. were paying attention to this website called BATMAN ON FILM. And they were paying attention to it quite a bit."

How do you think an unknown actor like Bale got casted? Come on. Fans at BOF Posted over and over they wanted Liam Neeson for Ras Al Ghul and Christian Bale for Batman. They listen over there. That's why Crispin Glover, Tim Roth, and Paul Bettany are candidates.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #2586
The Kid
AMERICA FTW

I'm no Glover groupie, but having just watched williard again after so long, He can more than nail the creepy weirdo aspect of joker, but the LAUGH. he just ain't got the LAUGH. I wish he'd LAUGH enough in one of his film to sell himself to me, but the most he's ever done is giggle.

crap...

Old 07-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #2587
mongo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanRules33
well it certianly seems like it! so ya cant blame me! and also, i just dont like any of the "casting" ppl are doing on here, i have not seen one likely good canidate or joker IMHO, most of the ppl on here are probly doing this for fun, but if you guys are being serious, then nah, havent seen any good ppl for joker yet, nor do i recognize half the actors on here, so in short no, still waiting for that perfect guy i can say should be joker. thats all. dont mean to be an ass.
It's cool. I'm really hoping for someone like Bale (relatively obscure to the masses) to be cast anyway. One common concept/opinion from a majority on these boards that I agree with is “it’s not about whose cast for the villains”.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #2588
NOFX
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish39
NOFX, since when has an Oscar measured what a person can do as an actor? Oscar's are worth as much as a Grammy, and f*** a grammy lmao. Seriously award and award shows are completly irelivant and meaningless as far as what a persons talent is. But yes Jude is much better at the skill of acting than Krispy Glovelove.
Simply saying that Nolan isnt shy for casting Oscar Calibar actors. Robin Williams, Al Pachino, Hilary Swank, Ken Watnabe, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, and Tom Wilkinson are all oscar calibar actors in Nolans movies. So It woudlnt be much of a stretch if he did cast an Oscar calibar actor for the Joker. I actually think its the most logical move Nolan would do in casting the Joker.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #2589
mongo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Flass
I take it you've never been to batman-on-film.com? David Goyer said, and I quote: "I know in the case of Batman, a lot of the people at Warner Bros. were paying attention to this website called BATMAN ON FILM. And they were paying attention to it quite a bit."

How do you think an unknown actor like Bale got casted? Come on. Fans at BOF Posted over and over they wanted Liam Neeson for Ras Al Ghul and Christian Bale for Batman. They listen over there. That's why Crispin Glover, Tim Roth, and Paul Bettany are candidates.
Nope never been on the site. Didn't even know about it till now. But it does sound like (and I hate to burst your bubble) that Goyer is just being polite and doing some fanboy PR.

Usually casting ideas come up during the film treatment by the writers. Usually in the context of “The Joker appears (think Jude Law or Jim Carrey)...” It’s usually the story pitch that sets the tone for how casting could go. Then the person writing the check, Ex. Producer, starts checking into budget to find the parameters or limitations, “We got $250 mill to spend, Carrey wants $25 mil a picture and Law wants $5 mill.” Then the casting director gets involved along with the director. Who can they work with or who would they like to see, “Law is a good choice, but I was thinking more along the lines of ...”. Usually when more than two ideas are out there they will hold screen tests or auditions. In some cases with costume pieces or manips. In the case of BB I think Nolan will get final say without a lot of debate from producers or WB. He proved himself with this film.

Honestly, I think an unknown like Bale was probably cast more for his acting chops than for any fan support. I knew nothing of him until he was cast. Well,...let me rephrase that,...I couldn't place his face with his name. In other words "name recognition". Once I saw what he had been in prior I still needed to find a picture of him. Because he wasn't a "star" prior to BB, he was an actor. BB will make him a star. (To witness the definition of "star" watch "My Favorite Year" w/ Peter O'Toole, ironically would make the perfect Joker if he was still 20-30.)

(I edited this a little because it sounded like I was being a little too harsh towards you and that’s not my intent.)

Last edited by mongo44; 07-15-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #2590
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Flass

Exactly....and also about Oldman being in a Batman film. Alot of us fans wanted Oldman as Ra's or Scarecrow originally and we ended up getting him to be in a Bat film regardless. Awesome! Neeson was perfect as Ra's! I remember the top fan choices for Ra's was Neeson, Day-Lewis, Oldman, and Viggo.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #2591
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFX
Simply saying that Nolan isnt shy for casting Oscar Calibar actors. Robin Williams, Al Pachino, Hilary Swank, Ken Watnabe, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, and Tom Wilkinson are all oscar calibar actors in Nolans movies. So It woudlnt be much of a stretch if he did cast an Oscar calibar actor for the Joker. I actually think its the most logical move Nolan would do in casting the Joker.

Exactly. Thats why I'm thinking Penn. Penn would bring great intensity, and big time wicked seriousness to the Joker......I like Depp, but in the back of my mind....Depp may try and be too much fun and not maniacal enough as Joker. Roth would bring something to the role also......Bettany is just to bland right now.....we need an actor who people will want to flock to the theater to see.....Penn would bring it all.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 PM   #2592
mongo44

Well, all I can say is if it’s true then I think it’s cool. But I’m not holding my breath that casting decisions are based on discussions on message boards for the most part. (Other wise the Hornets would still be in Charlotte, NC under the ownership of Larry Bird or Michael Jordan).

Old 07-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #2593
mongo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
.....we need an actor who people will want to flock to the theater to see.....Penn would bring it all.
I disagree respectfully, I think people will flock to it if the Joker is in the movie despite who plays him.

I use as my rational for that a AFI pole a few years back, 100 Heroes & Villains list. I found many aspects of it fascinating. Attikus Finch was the #1 hero in movies (a father). Star Wars had multiple listings, Darth #3 for Empire, Han #14 for Hope, Obi Wan for Hope #37. One element I found that struck me as unique was the combination mentions. Movies that a hero ranked and so did the villain there were only six: Silence of the Lambs, Schindler's List, It’s a Wonderful Life, and Batman (89). Superman mentioned but not Lex. Bond mentioned but not Dr. No. Darth Vader was on the list but not Luke.

Batman (Michael Keaton) was # 46 and Joker (Nicholson) #45 (ironically Batman dropped a spot behind Zoro at #45, the inspiration for the character). So from that list itself it shows that Batman vs. Joker is considered one of the top rivalries in cinema. It has to happen in this franchise. And I think it will have to happen in the next.

The other rational would be Revenge of the Sith as an example. Other than seeing Darth’s transformation I think the big draw was the showdown between him and Obi Wan.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #2594
NOFX
Banned User

Quote:
I disagree respectfully, I think people will flock to it if the Joker is in the movie despite who plays him.

I agree. it doesnt matter if its a big star and unknown actor, what matters if he's the right actor and if he can pull it off. I could care less if he was an unknown or a big star. I think thats irrelavant.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #2595
mongo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFX
I agree. it doesnt matter if its a big star and unknown actor, what matters if he's the right actor and if he can pull it off. I could care less if he was an unknown or a big star. I think thats irrelavant.
That is how I feel as well. I’m confident that Nolan will pick a good actor. I like everything he has done so far and his casts do a phenomenal job in his movies. I don’t think I will be disappointed with whoever he picks to play the Joker.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:16 PM   #2596
Mike_D
Banned User

maybe we should hold off all the debates for a little while and just have fun with it...we probably wont hear anything for a few months anyways, right?

Old 07-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #2597
The Last Meatbag
Side-Kick

Check the avvy

Old 07-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #2598
BatmanRules33
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE INCREDIBLE SPORK
Check the avvy
niiiiiiiiiice, lol!!

Old 07-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #2599
Matis17
Side-Kick

Just got back from Wedding Crashers. Joker Perhaps?

Old 07-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #2600
darknight7
Side-Kick

Ladies and Gentlemen...

It's all about

*BEN FOSTER*

--dk7

Closed Thread