The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: What Will Cyclops' Fate Be In X3?
Dies At Alkali Lake 280 49.73%
Never Faces A Life-Threatening Situation 14 2.49%
Supposedly Dies Early But Returns In The Final Battle 223 39.61%
Dies In The Final Battle 18 3.20%
Goes On Sabbatical (after Alkali Lake) 28 4.97%
Voters: 563. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,531
Default Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

I'm not the biggest Cyclops in the world, but I do acknowledge his importance within the X-Men mythos.

Yet, I feel like out of all of the characters within the X-Movieverse, Cykes never had a real moment to shine (perhaps in X1, but nothing in X2). The sad thing is that I feel like there's no love for Cyclops here either. I was like "Where's the official Cyclops thread?" (And no, that petition to keep Cyclops alive doesn't count!) Does anyone care? I'm not even a Cyclops fan and I'm doing this...for you! The PEOPLE. Yes you, with your overly large eyes gawking at the screen.

This is the lair where Cyclops can get some love. Now show it damnit!

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now  
Old 08-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
JP
Smelly
 
JP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 53,124
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

I care

*lights lighter and waves hand*

JP is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,804
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

I disagree. Will elaborate later.

I love these threads.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy
 
DorkyFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Currently living in sanity.
Posts: 19,229
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Although I don't care for Marsden AS Cyclops (I wish Caviezel had stuck with X-Men)....I DO wish Cyclops was more refined. He feels 2 dimensional compared to Jean. Marsden DID do a good job at the end of X2 though....so I hope Ratner gives Scott a bigger/better role this time around. Logan needs to take a backseat........I love Logan to death, but they need to focus on other characters now that Logan's past has been, for the most part, covered.

DorkyFresh is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,531
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

I agree with Dorky Fresh. I don't like Cyclops but I respect his role within the X-Men team. I want him to shine and give me a reason to care about the poor lad.

I don't want him to be the 'jealous uptight boyfriend'. I want him to be the friggin' team leader. And if someone says "Uhhh..Storm took over as the leader when Cyclops was absent. So she's a leader as well...uhh".

When I think of the X-Men and when I think of the true leader, I don't think of Storm. In my mind, she's the second in command while Cykes is the General of the group. Plain and simple. I'm no fanboy and I don't know all of the history of the X-Men, but in general, Cyclops is refered as the true leader (not including Prof. X).

People have to think outside of the box sometimes.

Besides, Storm had her friggin' moments in X2 while Cykes was left in the cold. X3 should of been HIS moment of greatness and I just hope that his role got expanded.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now  
Old 08-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,402
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

I love Slim...

I will develop a pic gallery for this thread in his honor. I'll update this post with it.

--------------------
UPDATE:

GALLERY I














__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.


Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 08-12-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy
 
DorkyFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Currently living in sanity.
Posts: 19,229
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

OC LA Batys got it right....


....Cyclops isn't supposed to be likeable, BUT he IS supposed to the leader. He's supposed to be the friggin' LEADER!!!! He didn't feel like a leader in EITHER of the X-films. In X-Men it felt like Logan was calling the shots and in X2 it was Storm. C'MON! I want to see Cyclops give some commands and tell his fellow mutants what needs to be done to achieve their goal! If they see a huge Sentinal coming around the building I don't want to see Wolverine run off and Cyclops following him......I want Cyclops to tell Wolverine to hide behind a dumpster and wait for the Sentinal to pass so Wolverine can sneak attack or SOMETHIN'! SHEESH!! hehe.....okay....i'm done...

DorkyFresh is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
gap5ewl
inconspicuous since '03.
 
gap5ewl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: North America
Posts: 5,162
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

cyclops is one of my favorite characters and is very important. i hoep he has a big role in the third one and DOESNT die!

__________________
"Whenever someone calls me ugly, I get super sad and hug them, because I know how tough life is for the visually impaired"-Will Ferrel.
gap5ewl is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?
 
Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 6,207
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

I'm a huge Cyclops fan, and I've thought about starting one of these threads for him many times.
The reason I haven't done it is, quite simply, I don't want to deal with that nagging thought in the back of my mind that keeps telling me what we read in the script review will actually come to pass. If it does, well I don't know how I will react, but it's not something I'm looking forward to. So I've neglected Cyke to try and avoid thinking about it too much.

Endeavor is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Jan Irisi
Side-Kick
 
Jan Irisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,762
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Ok, I know I am going to get a heap of flamage for this but let's think about something. Everyone rants about how Halle is limited in her acting ability and how Storm is not the character she is supposed to be because of this. Well, is there anyone out there who may think the same is true about Marsden? Does anyone perhaps think that Marsden is not quite a powerful or adept enough actor to pull off what is required for the character?

I say this because fair is fair. Folks are more than happy to jump all over Halle and her lack of acting chops or supposed ego or what have you, yet no one has brought up what I mentioned above. Maybe James just doesn't have the chops to command the screen, to pull off the leadership qualities that are needed to make Cyclops look like the leader he is supposed to be.


*waits for the folks to come out of the woodwork on this post*

Jan Irisi is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #11
Joaqenix
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 325
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

This is my personal opinion, but I think James Marsden is a fine actor. If you've seen him in other stuff, hes always been really good. I liked him in The 24th Day a lot. Really small movie, I doubt most people have seen it. I also heard he was great in Heights, but I haven't seen that.

You can only do so much with the lame material that was provided for his character in the second movie. I thought Cyclops was fine in the first movie though. I understand not everyone can shine in the movies, but I'd expect that the leader of the X-Men would receive adequate screen time.

Joaqenix is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy
 
DorkyFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Currently living in sanity.
Posts: 19,229
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Well, as much as I don't want to see Halle Berry as Storm....I wish Singer had gotten someone different for Cyclops also. Although Marsden did a good job at the end of X2....he just doesn't have the commanding presence of a leader that Cyclops is supposed to have. I DO have my doubts that if they put more focus on Cyclops that Marsden might not deliver, but regardless of Marsden's looks or acting abilities Cyclops DOES need (and deserve) more development.

DorkyFresh is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #13
Xfanfan
Side-Kick
 
Xfanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 632
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Thank you Jan Iris for making that comment, Marsden is just too young to play Cyclops. They should have gotten someone more the age of Halle or Jackman to play Cyclops. Marsden has the boyish look that does not go with Cyclops unless they were going for a X-men Evolution Cyclops. Since we are stuck with him, I think its better that Storm leads plus we saw Storm begin to show leadership quality in X2 which is a set up for the third movie. That said, I still think that they should keep him alive for the Phoenix Saga storyline and show his relationship with Jean.

Xfanfan

Xfanfan is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #14
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,402
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Irisi
Ok, I know I am going to get a heap of flamage for this but let's think about something. Everyone rants about how Halle is limited in her acting ability and how Storm is not the character she is supposed to be because of this. Well, is there anyone out there who may think the same is true about Marsden? Does anyone perhaps think that Marsden is not quite a powerful or adept enough actor to pull off what is required for the character?

I say this because fair is fair. Folks are more than happy to jump all over Halle and her lack of acting chops or supposed ego or what have you, yet no one has brought up what I mentioned above. Maybe James just doesn't have the chops to command the screen, to pull off the leadership qualities that are needed to make Cyclops look like the leader he is supposed to be.


*waits for the folks to come out of the woodwork on this post*
What an interesting thought Jan.

It is true--they've reduced Scott to a mere pu$$ of a man, but I do believe if called upon James could do the job. In my opinion his grieving over the death of Jean in X2 (especially in the jet) was top-notch and flawlessly portrayed.

But you're right--James Marsden doesn't get an ounce of the hate that Halle recieves for speaking up about her role. Maybe he's taking a hint from what she's going through with these fanboys and has decided that playing second fiddle to Hugh's Logan is not worth defending Scott's role in the film.

It's a shame...because he'll be vaporized as a mere nothing in X3 for NOT being a more pivotal player in this series.

*grabs popcorn and sits back on couch waiting*

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.


Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 08-12-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #15
Slim_X
Side-Kick
 
Slim_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Here
Posts: 9,503
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

I hope he doesn't die and has a bigger role than Wolverine.


Last edited by Slim_X; 08-12-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Slim_X is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #16
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,402
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfanfan
That said, I still think that they should keep him alive for the Phoenix Saga storyline and show his relationship with Jean.

Xfanfan
Agreed.

Demolecularizing him is NOT the answer. Let him be an emotional wreck and therefore unfit to lead for a while. It's happened in the comics and it can happen here too.

Killing him is not only stupid, but it's unneccessary, as Scott has never died in the comics.

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.

Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #17
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,531
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

I know..for God's sakes, he's Jean's boyfriend. They shouldn't just pull a Boba Fett and kill him off as if was nothing!

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #18
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?
 
Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 6,207
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lightning
Agreed.

Demolecularizing him is NOT the answer. Let him be an emotional wreck and therefore unfit to lead for a while. It's happened in the comics and it can happen here too.

Killing him is not only stupid, but it's unneccessary, as Scott has never died in the comics.

I remember when Arad was badmouthing us saying we're idiots because we were not remembering the fact that the characters have died in the comics. Last I checked possession does not equal death.

Endeavor is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #19
Jan Irisi
Side-Kick
 
Jan Irisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,762
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

No matter how or why James Marsden got the part, he is Cyclops now. No turning back. What I am saying is that perhaps TPOB realize that he, while he may be a good actor, is limited in what he can do in the part, or he lacks certain qualities to push the characterization over the top as it were. And because they may have realized that Marsden lacked what was needed, they wrote his part (or trimmed it substantially) so the part would not end up sitting there like a lead brick when James attempted to do what he lacked the skills or even the believability to do. They worked with what they had. Fortunately they had enough talent to pick up the pieces here and there and they were fortunate to have Stewart and Sir Ian in place, they were lucky to find Jackman to fill in for Dougray Scott at the last minute...and so on.

Jan Irisi is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #20
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?
 
Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 6,207
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim_X
I hope he doesn't die and has a bigger role than Wolverine.
I would love that. But it's never going to happen.

Endeavor is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #21
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?
 
Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 6,207
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Irisi
No matter how or why James Marsden got the part, he is Cyclops now. No turning back. What I am saying is that perhaps TPOB realize that he, while he may be a good actor, is limited in what he can do in the part, or he lacks certain qualities to push the characterization over the top as it were. And because they may have realized that Marsden lacked what was needed, they wrote his part (or trimmed it substantially) so the part would not end up sitting there like a lead brick when James attempted to do what he lacked the skills or even the believability to do. They worked with what they had. Fortunately they had enough talent to pick up the pieces here and there and they were fortunate to have Stewart and Sir Ian in place, they were lucky to find Jackman to fill in for Dougray Scott at the last minute...and so on.
I don't think so. I've seen Marsden act elsewhere and he's very talented.

Besides what you're saying is very speculative and is basically the same argument being used against Halle Berry. Are you saying you think Halle Berry's lack of talent is the reason why Storm was written the way she comes out in the movies? Because if we're going to start guessing at the writers and director's motives for portraying a character a certain way and then basing those guesses on what we think of the actors talents, well that has to go accross the board.

Endeavor is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #22
aaron
bullet in your face
 
aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,120
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

nope it isnt unfortunately, its a shame, marsden's a great actor.

aaron is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #23
Jan Irisi
Side-Kick
 
Jan Irisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,762
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor
I don't think so. I've seen Marsden act elsewhere and he's very talented.

Besides what you're saying is very speculative and is basically the same argument being used against Halle Berry. Are you saying you think Halle Berry's lack of talent is the reason why Storm was written the way she comes out in the movies? Because if we're going to start guessing at the writers and director's motives for portraying a character a certain way and then basing those guesses on what we think of the actors talents, well that has to go accross the board.
That is why I said "perhaps".

And maybe, just maybe, one can go "across the board" as you say. We will never know one way or another, but I can see where it might occur that way.

Jan Irisi is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #24
The Indigo Fire
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 120
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

IMO, I think that Marsden's acting at the end of X-2 was amazing and actually almost bringing me to tears. But Marsden's lack of being vocal, I think, has little to do with his deatomizing in X-3. Marsden is the only one of the cast also to be in WB's Superman Returns, a film which leaves a bad taste in Fox's mouth because they lost Singer to that project. I'd like to believe that animosity has little to do with making films but we all know that's not always true. Fox probably sees Marsden as another Judas; and it has been mentioned that Marsden an the lead execs at Fox have gotten into arguments over this. I hate to say this but this may be another case of studio politics, trying to teach a lesson to Marsden for not boycotting Superman. Marsden may a martyr for Fox.

The Indigo Fire is offline  
Old 08-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #25
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,402
Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indigo Fire
IMO, I think that Marsden's acting at the end of X-2 was amazing and actually almost bringing me to tears. But Marsden's lack of being vocal, I think, has little to do with his deatomizing in X-3. Marsden is the only one of the cast also to be in WB's Superman Returns, a film which leaves a bad taste in Fox's mouth because they lost Singer to that project. I'd like to believe that animosity has little to do with making films but we all know that's not always true. Fox probably sees Marsden as another Judas; and it has been mentioned that Marsden an the lead execs at Fox have gotten into arguments over this. I hate to say this but this may be another case of studio politics, trying to teach a lesson to Marsden for not boycotting Superman. Marsden may a martyr for Fox.
You fricking nailed it. Well done.

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.

Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.