The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: What Will Cyclops' Fate Be In X3?
Dies At Alkali Lake 280 49.73%
Never Faces A Life-Threatening Situation 14 2.49%
Supposedly Dies Early But Returns In The Final Battle 223 39.61%
Dies In The Final Battle 18 3.20%
Goes On Sabbatical (after Alkali Lake) 28 4.97%
Voters: 563. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #28801
larryfilmmaker
nerd herder

Default Re: Official Cyclops/marsden Thread

that cover totally proves that in Hollywood (Fox more than anybody), the bigger name stars get the bigger roles

Old 08-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #28802
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

^^^ All these cover designs seem to be just Photoshop variations of the same stock cast images. Most of the fan designs I've seen posted here are alot more original and interesting than what Hollywood is putting out

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #28803
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

Was definitely hoping to see some of the youngins on the cover somehow.

"This is Tom Tucker......'s evil twin, Todd Tucker, out to ruin his brother's reputation. Ha ha ha!"
Old 08-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #28804
Aiden
Side-Kick

ha!

*imagines FOX's DVD designing room*

Tom Rothman - "Yeah, can we get those pictures of Halle and Hugh any bigger?"

FOX employee - "But sir. What about Famke and Sir Ian?"

TR - "Who?"

FE - "Y'know. The stars of the movie"

TR - "Oh. Metal-man and that bird chick? Try to fit them in at the back. Make sure they are nowhere near Halle and Hugh though."

Old 08-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #28805
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden
ha!

*imagines FOX's DVD designing room*

Tom Rothman - "Yeah, can we get those pictures of Halle and Hugh any bigger?"

FOX employee - "But sir. What about Famke and Sir Ian?"

TR - "Who?"

FE - "Y'know. The stars of the movie"

TR - "Oh. Metal-man and that bird chick? Try to fit them in at the back. Make sure they are nowhere near Halle and Hugh though."

-blasts Rothman out of the DVD designing room- Take that. I'm taking over as we speak. Change of plans. Scrap Halle and replace her with Famke and move Hugh behind James...but bring Ian closer towards the front near Famke and same with James.

Oh and we've shot some additional scenes which Fox here didn't have the time to do because they rushed it. -glares at Rothman-

Oh by the way... Rothman? Your fired. Ya hear? You suck.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #28806
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2
That seems clear to me as well. However, everything we've read indicates that they DID render the scene of him disintegrating and then... didn't use the effect in the movie. Now, maybe there are many reasons for that - maybe they just thought it looked lame - but maybe they did indeed want to leave a door open for bringing him back, just in case that would one day prove advantageous to them.
You're of course one of those people who took advantage of the door they closed and didn't lock.

I've been reading your post X3 fanfic "The Fires of Resurrection". and I must say I'm quite impressed with the story you put together, love how it's coming along, and can't way to see more! Keep up the gaad work!

Old 08-28-2006, 05:32 AM   #28807
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verlin
Ugh, makes me sick:

er...what a nightmare, reminds me of everything I saw in that damned movie.
Wolverine's hair looks even more fake than the wrecked bridge in the background, and what did Storm do in this movie to get her stand in the front of the cover? whirling like a tornado?

Resolue, dumb, uncomplaining, a man in a world of men.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #28808
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UraniaChang
er...what a nightmare, reminds me of everything I saw in that damned movie.
Wolverine's hair looks even more fake than the wrecked bridge in the background, and what did Storm do in this movie to get her stand in the front of the cover? whirling like a tornado?
This must be the Hughe and Halle Special Edition

Old 08-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #28809
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
the Hugh and Halle Special Edition
a.k.a the last stand...

It's funny hearing Hugh say the third movie is his fav, 'though he also likes the second one'. I take it the bigger his role, the more he likes the movie...

Old 08-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #28810
Bishop2
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're of course one of those people who took advantage of the door they closed and didn't lock.

I've been reading your post X3 fanfic "The Fires of Resurrection". and I must say I'm quite impressed with the story you put together, love how it's coming along, and can't way to see more! Keep up the gaad work!
Thanks very much. I'm glad someone on here still remembers that, since it's not done yet. At least we're almost there - only five or six more chapters to the end!

Old 08-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #28811
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

Quote:
This must be the Hughe and Halle Special Edition
Lol. I even found some of Halle's scenes and storylines to be almost kinda pointless, you know? Like they're just thrown in there to give her the screen time. Certain parts, at least. Not knocking Storm, just maybe the way things were gone about in X3. Lack of relevancy or something.

"This is Tom Tucker......'s evil twin, Todd Tucker, out to ruin his brother's reputation. Ha ha ha!"
Old 08-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #28812
taintedFB
Side-Kick

I think it has more to do with the cluelessness of the studio than the actors. Halle just wanted to play a real character, not more time. Hugh, who knows. I get the feeling he walks around thinking "check it out, I'm Wolverine, I'm cool, I'm the star of these films". He seems to aware of his importance and appears in nearly every scene! He's a producer, so he'd have a say as well...

James was robbed but his brief performance was more passionate and real then all of Halle's and Hugh's! Why can't we see more of him and Famke together. And I DO believe he'll be back IF they do an X4. They purposely left it vague AND used a different special effect on him than on the people Phoenix dissintegrated. (his particles weren't blowing away, his skin just bubbled)

Old 08-28-2006, 05:22 PM   #28813
WideAwake
Side-Kick

When was the last time your skin bubbled, taintedFB?

I don't think there'll be an X4, but if there is one, I really hope James tells them to stick it up a place where the sun don't shine.
Studio politics robbed him of his rightful part in these movies, so I hope James won't stoop as low by coming back, only to get wasted again once another wildcard character, such as Gambit (pun intended ) turns out to be an audience favorite.
It seems James' career going well, for which I'm glad, so I don't hope he won't need to do an X4, and will show them what they are missing.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #28814
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

If they do an X4 in the future without giving a decent role to Cyclops...I hope it'll be a total flop.

Resolue, dumb, uncomplaining, a man in a world of men.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #28815
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

It will be.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #28816
Bishop2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387
It will be.
I'm sure that any X-Men 4 would probably be successful even if it only brought back Iceman, Colossus and Kitty. :\

Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 AM   #28817
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

^I wouldn't be too sure if I were you.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:09 AM   #28818
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
She was definitely a few tacos short of a family pack at that point.
Quote:
My point was that, Penn and Kinberg can scream all they want, they can throw a tantrum in public and bang trash can lids together screaming "CYCLOPS IS DEAD! CYCLOPS IS DEAD"
Dude, I don't agree with your view, but I can't think of a better way for you to have gotten your point across.

Those are friggin' hilarious dude!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:06 AM   #28819
Celestial
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideAwake
I don't think there'll be an X4, but if there is one, I really hope James tells them to stick it up a place where the sun don't shine.
Studio politics robbed him of his rightful part in these movies, so I hope James won't stoop as low by coming back, only to get wasted again once another wildcard character, such as Gambit (pun intended ) turns out to be an audience favorite.
It seems James' career going well, for which I'm glad, so I don't hope he'll need to do an X4, and will show them what they are missing.
Essentially that's what he did with X3. He went and got himself a sizeable role on X3's biggest rival. His schedule didn't allow for a decent role in X3. He played a major part in the studio politics that "robbed him of his rightful part". The X-Men movies have done a lot to raise Marsden's profile - Cyclops is still his best known role. He has a career but its not going so well he can afford to upset a major studio.

I'll agree that Cyclops has been handled badly but Marsden was one of the causes not the victim.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #28820
larryfilmmaker
nerd herder

Cyclops was his highest profile role, but it didn't do much for his career. He has the top of his face covered the entire time and he played a two dimensional guy the audience is supposed to root AGAINST. There wasn't much meat on the character for Marsden to flex his acting talent with. Also, pissing off studios might be bad, but pissing off FOX isn't going to doom anybody's career. Buy a FOX DVD and watch the montage of movies they've made at the beginning. Ignore Fight Club and the rest is complete garbage filled with actors who are on their way down. You guys like Marsden so much? Go rent "Interstate 60"... he's the main character and that movie RULES!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 AM   #28821
Balian
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I suggest seeing 10th & Wolf for anyone interested in watching James Marsden in a leading role.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 AM   #28822
WideAwake
Side-Kick

Celestial,
Sorry, but I'm not buying the "his shedule didn't allow for a bigger part in X3" excuse. James did have a month to 2 months off from the shooting of Superman Returns. Ian McKellen shot his part for X2 in 2 weeks.
FOX just didn't want them in this movie, Penn and Kinberg have said so.
They could've used those months for some pick-ups, bluescreen work to be comped in later, or second unit shooting. Agreed, his part would still be small, but that would be better than what we got. Instead, they wasted that time with pick-ups, re-shooting his scenes because of his hair...

And yes, I think that having a bigger part is his "rightful place" in these movies, especially in X3. Same with Storm.
Both have known Jean for a long time. We got some good focus on Storm, but nothing about her relation to Jean.

Agreed, Marsden career isn't that succesfull yet, but had made quite a reputation for himself. He has done a variety of roles. I hope for him that the good roles will keep on coming.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:43 AM   #28823
Celestial
Side-Kick

Ian McKellen shot his part for X2 over 13 weeks elapsed. He may only have been needed on set for about 13 days but he needed to fit into the shooting schedule. With such a huge cast and complicated set pieces, there needs to be a lot of flexibility.

From what was said by Simon Kinberg, the writers were asked to write a part for Cyclops that could be filmed in two weeks elapsed. Perhaps this was all that could be negotiated with Marsden and WB at that time. With the tight schedule there wasn't a lot of room for rewrites and rescheduling even if Marsden became available for a longer period. It would have been nice, but it was not a reasonable expectation.

It's been a while since I've read the comments from Penn and Kinberg, but I think their comments are a bit vague when it comes to the sequence of events. It's clear that Cyclops wasn't a priority with Fox at any point but the idea of exclduing him altogether may have been a direct result of Marsden signing for the competition. I don't think Penn/Kinberg were very clear on the timing, partly because they weren't working closely with the Fox execs and so didn't know what came first.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:50 AM   #28824
Celestial
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian
I suggest seeing 10th & Wolf for anyone interested in watching James Marsden in a leading role.
Did you see it? It's only showing in 5 theatres. The reviews seem to be poor (RT 15%) although Marsden came off fairly well in them. Perhaps Heights would be a better one to see.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #28825
Bishop2
Side-Kick

Has anybody here played the mobile phone versino of X-Men: The Official Game? I just learned that it contains Cyclops as a playable character - the only version of the game to do so. I'm glad that there's a version of this game that doesn't claim that Cyclops has been lying in bed and moping for eight months or so between X2 and TLS. I'm curious to see what they do with him there.