The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Old 01-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman

Default Superman 4

DISCUSS!!!

"And when you show yourself to the world, it'll be a different age than ours Clark. A silver age of heroism, that will start when they look up into the sky at you with hope for tomorrow, and you will help everyone to embrace it"
MAN O STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: Superman 4

Personally I have a soft spot for it, when I was a little kid it was actually my favourite of the series, of course it's at the bottom now.

I really do feel if you fixed the FX it would just from that be considered a better film than it is. Even parts of the story like Superman fixing the Great Wall of China (one of the most hated scenes) was only done as such because the budget wasn't there for them to do something else.

Of course there are other issues with the film which came down to many things like cut scenes which meant certain story aspects didn't make sense.

Still though I find some aspects of it really enjoyable i.e. Reeve's performance, Superman throwing shiz into the Sun, even parts of Superman versus Nuclear Man.

The nuclear subplot wasn't an issue for me either, I think it would have worked just fine in a better script.

I still say give this film a bigger budget and it would have been a better entry and who knows maybe a return to form.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman

I agree completely. I could never understand why they didn't do with superman 4 what they did with the star trek original series blurays. I understand the lack of popularity is a big factor but if you look at the movie it needs it a hell of a lot more than star trek did. Star trek holds up superman doesn't. Maybe do a kickstarter campaign to get it complete

"And when you show yourself to the world, it'll be a different age than ours Clark. A silver age of heroism, that will start when they look up into the sky at you with hope for tomorrow, and you will help everyone to embrace it"
Old 01-13-2015, 02:27 AM   #4
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN O STEEL View Post
I agree completely. I could never understand why they didn't do with superman 4 what they did with the star trek original series blurays. I understand the lack of popularity is a big factor but if you look at the movie it needs it a hell of a lot more than star trek did. Star trek holds up superman doesn't. Maybe do a kickstarter campaign to get it complete
Well we saw how long it took WBs to give us the Donner Cut of Superman 2 and that was something a lot of people wanted to see. I think a kickstarter would be the only way really. I think cleaning up some of the FX (which someone may need to use footage from the three previous films to correct the flying scenes) and adding back in a few cut scenes (not Nuclear Man #1 though) then just from that I think we'd see a better product.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 AM   #5
titansupes
Side-Kick

I haven't seen it, but I remember a few clips from the "Selutron Cut" of SII. Something like that could work. There was a lot more potential in the movie, but there were also many more problems with it than just the FX.

When I was a kid, it was my favourite (and first) Superman movie. Followed by SII, STM and then SIII. From my teen years on it's become STM, followed by SII, SIV then SIII. I still have a bit of a soft spot for it.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I haven't seen it, but I remember a few clips from the "Selutron Cut" of SII. Something like that could work. There was a lot more potential in the movie, but there were also many more problems with it than just the FX.

When I was a kid, it was my favourite (and first) Superman movie. Followed by SII, STM and then SIII. From my teen years on it's become STM, followed by SII, SIV then SIII. I still have a bit of a soft spot for it.
You really shoud watch the Donner Cut its better than the Lestr version in my opinion. Although I always watch the Frank Reynolds cut which is a fan cut that combines the best of both version (it can download it if searched for on google). Highly recommend watching that.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
titansupes
Side-Kick

^ I've got and seen the Donner Cut, I haven't seen the Selutron Cut. I'll look into the Frank Reynolds one, never heard of that.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:59 AM   #8
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
^ I've got and seen the Donner Cut, I haven't seen the Selutron Cut. I'll look into the Frank Reynolds one, never heard of that.
I would love to see the Selutron cut but unfirtunately we never will. Frank a Reynolds cut isn't perfect but it's the closest I've seen to a complete cut that I like.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman