The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Old 03-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Gavan
Side-Kick

Default I cannot stand this Jor-El and the trend he started

My one big beef with the Reeve films is Jor-El's inflated role in Superman's origin, making him a God figure to Superman's Jesus figure.

Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth so that he could be Superman. But he shouldn't give a hoot about humans, he should just have his son's survival in mind. It just makes Jor-El look patronizing and arrogant. He also basically reprograms Clark in the Fortress for 12 years so that he would become Superman. That's a deed worthy of Brainiac.

It's also ridiculous to compare Superman to Jesus beyond the most generic things ("he saves", hurr). Superman can't "die for our sins", Jesus only resorts to physical force once, etc.

And the worst thing is the Kents are largely marginalized because Jor-El practically did all the work. Clark's main influence as Superman should be the Kents. Their Clark is overwritten by Jor-El. Pa is basically just there to die. I know both of them died in the Silver Age, but Clark shouldn't need to go through that to learn that he can't save everyone. He has super senses!

All of these are problems that were magnified in Man of Steel.

Last edited by Gavan; 03-01-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Gavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Default Re: I cannot stand this Jor-El and the trend he started

I think it's over the top to say that Jor-El reprogrammed or brainwashed Clark into becoming Superman.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
WBwins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
My one big beef with the Reeve films is Jor-El's inflated role in Superman's origin, making him a God figure to Superman's Jesus figure.

Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth so that he could be Superman. But he shouldn't give a hoot about humans, he should just have his son's survival in mind. It just makes Jor-El look patronizing and arrogant. He also basically reprograms Clark in the Fortress for 12 years so that he would become Superman. That's a deed worthy of Brainiac.

It's also ridiculous to compare Superman to Jesus beyond the most generic things ("he saves", hurr). Superman can't "die for our sins", Jesus only resorts to physical force once, etc.

And the worst thing is the Kents are largely marginalized because Jor-El practically did all the work. Clark's main influence as Superman should be the Kents. Their Clark is overwritten by Jor-El. Pa is basically just there to die. I know both of them died in the Silver Age, but Clark shouldn't need to go through that to learn that he can't save everyone. He has super senses!

All of these are problems that were magnified in Man of Steel.
100 percent agree!

WBwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
ThePhantasm
a little short for a

So... how is this a "trend"?

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | The Shadow of the Bat | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #5
Gavan
Side-Kick

Smallville and MOS

Gavan is offline   Reply With Quote