The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

View Poll Results: Which villian should be set up for the sequel?
Brainiac 57 56.44%
Doomsday 9 8.91%
Darkseid 7 6.93%
Bizarro 2 1.98%
General Zod 7 6.93%
Parasite 4 3.96%
Metallo 14 13.86%
Other (Please State) 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #76
Kane

Default Re: Which Villian Should Be Set Up For The Sequel In This Movie?

If he was a superpowerful computer created on Vril Dox named "Brainiac," I could see why he would continue to use that designation.

He should be that alien computer that inhabits the body of human Milton Fine....and then becomes the supervillian we all know and love.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #77
Cinemaman
Side-Kick

I think he should be Brainiac - computer system from Krypton with organic code virus.

It would be great villian for Superman.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #78
Il_Siciliano
The Nembo Kid Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis Superman
If he was a superpowerful computer created on Vril Dox named "Brainiac," I could see why he would continue to use that designation.

He should be that alien computer that inhabits the body of human Milton Fine....and then becomes the supervillian we all know and love.
unless i misunderstood your post, i think the problem with this is that there is no reason an alien lifeform woul call a computer "braniac", as it is a word-play in the English language, a computer that can somehow emulate the thought-processes of a human brain.
The name "Braniac" indicates a human conception of the computer, a human giving it the name, a human sense of humour (inherent in the naming) etc.

Il_Siciliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #79
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Siciliano
unless i misunderstood your post, i think the problem with this is that there is no reason an alien lifeform woul call a computer "braniac", as it is a word-play in the English language, a computer that can somehow emulate the thought-processes of a human brain.
The name "Braniac" indicates a human conception of the computer, a human giving it the name, a human sense of humour (inherent in the naming) etc.
Hmm, perhaps he could have an alien name.....and Superman or Lois with the Daily Planet gives him the nickname 'braniac' upon his first appearance.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #80
Il_Siciliano
The Nembo Kid Mafia

Quote:
Hmm, perhaps he could have an alien name.....and Superman or Lois with the Daily Planet gives him the nickname 'braniac' upon his first appearance.

that would work fine

Old 03-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #81
Il_Siciliano
The Nembo Kid Mafia

On a similar note, I always had a problem with the \S/ being Kryptonian. It's too convenient that a Kryptonian symbol also look like the S for Superman. Cause in the interest of "realism" or at least logic we have to make up our minds: does the S stand for Superman or is it a symbol from Krypton? Cause it can't be both.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #82
Kane

\S/ is the Kryptonian symbol for 'El' (meaning its the symbol that represents the house of El; Clark's bloodline)

It does resemble the letter S but it doesnt mean 's'. (\8/ means the letter 's' in Kryptonian)

When Superman first appears in Metropolis, Lois (obviously unaware of Kryptonian symbols) mistakes it for the letter 's' and thus gives him the name Superman.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #83
Il_Siciliano
The Nembo Kid Mafia

Quote:
\S/ is the Kryptonian symbol for 'El' (meaning its the symbol that represents the house of El; Clark's bloodline)

It does resemble the letter S but it doesnt mean 's'. (\8/ means the letter 's' in Kryptonian)

When Superman first appears in Metropolis, Lois (obviously unaware of Kryptonian symbols) mistakes it for the letter 's' and thus gives him the name Superman.
Yes, but the 8 thing if I am not mistaken was originally a Smalville thing. Superman initially (Action comics 1938) wore an S for Superman on his chest.
I always had a problem with the whole Smalville, STM, Birthright kind thing in which the S has a special significance. I prefer the Byrne version in which Ma Kent comes up with it AFTER Lois calls Clark "Superman".

Old 03-26-2006, 03:03 PM   #84
King Krypton
Banned User

Quote:
Hmmm Parasites in the video game too so I dont know if he'll be a strong villian to use.

They shouldnt tie Brainiac with Krypton, STAS did it to make Brainiac into a composite character with Eradicator. I'd say they should do an adaption of the classic Vril Dox story.
The Vril Dox origin was a convoluted mess. Give me a clear-cut killer AI any day.

The origin doesn't have to be Kryptonian, but the personality and motivations the cartoon gave him are perfect. Keep that, just have him be a Coluan computer. Problem solved.

Quote:
I always had a problem with the whole Smalville, STM, Birthright kind thing in which the S has a special significance.
Why shouldn't it have a special significance? If it's just a symbol the Kents whip up out of thin air, it has no meaning behind it. Making it Kryptonian not only explains the emblem's design, but it also gives it a cultural weight. It's a mark of his heritage and of his destiny, and as such it has a trenchance and depth that would otherwise be lacking.

Besides, the Kryptonian origin of the emblem's been a staple of every mass-media Superman thus far. I'd say that means the concept works.

Last edited by King Krypton; 03-26-2006 at 03:06 PM.
King Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #85
Il_Siciliano
The Nembo Kid Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Krypton

Why shouldn't it have a special significance? If it's just a symbol the Kents whip up out of thin air, it has no meaning behind it. Making it Kryptonian not only explains the emblem's design, but it also gives it a cultural weight. It's a mark of his heritage and of his destiny, and as such it has a trenchance and depth that would otherwise be lacking.

Besides, the Kryptonian origin of the emblem's been a staple of every mass-media Superman thus far. I'd say that means the concept works.
I dunno, mate, it's just that I feel that the weight of the \S/ can just be due to what it means to the world as a symbol of Superman. I don't see why it need to be a cultural heritage from Krypton. I always saw it as an S for Superman. Giving it a Kryptonian origin kinda feels like "oh by the way, you're gonna love this! you know that \S/ Superman wears? Well yeah, it's actually a Kryptonian symbol. Yeah, it's his family's emblem. How neat is that?! So lucky he's called Superman and not Ultraman cause that way he gets to keep the symbol which also happens to look like the initial of his superhero alias!"
I understnd what you're saying, but it just doesn't feel right to me somehow.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #86
Kane

Quote:
Yes, but the 8 thing if I am not mistaken was originally a Smalville thing. Superman initially (Action comics 1938) wore an S for Superman on his chest.
I always had a problem with the whole Smalville, STM, Birthright kind thing in which the S has a special significance. I prefer the Byrne version in which Ma Kent comes up with it AFTER Lois calls Clark "Superman".
The \8/ was part of the Kryptonian Alphabet way before Smallville mistakenly used it.

The \S/ in "Superman Returns" has a special significance (represents the El family)......the name Superman is given to him by the people based on their perception of the crest.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #87
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Krypton
The Vril Dox origin was a convoluted mess. Give me a clear-cut killer AI any day.

The origin doesn't have to be Kryptonian, but the personality and motivations the cartoon gave him are perfect. Keep that, just have him be a Coluan computer. Problem solved.
Ya thats what I meant.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #88
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
I got ya now, but for me personally it's reversed. seeing them in the game would make me want to seee them even more on screen
Same here.

I've also seen the villains in the cartoons, comics, fanart, other video games, etc. Does any of that previous exposure to the characters make me want to see them on screen any less? Hell no.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #89
Il_Siciliano
The Nembo Kid Mafia

Quote:
the name Superman is given to him by the people based on their perception of the crest.
well, yes. but i was raised on byrne superman, who was called Superman by Lois Lane because he was Super not because of the S (he didn't have a costume at the time). I take your point though

Old 03-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #90
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike_x1
Same here.

I've also seen the villains in the cartoons, comics, fanart, other video games, etc. Does any of that previous exposure to the characters make me want to see them on screen any less? Hell no.
Well in the context of the SR franchaise, it would take something away. Especially if the Metallo in the video game represents how Singer would interpret him and tell John Corben's story....

It would take much out of the surprise of seeing how the character was presented in a future film.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #91
Kane

Quote:
well, yes. but i was raised on byrne superman, who was called Superman by Lois Lane because he was Super not because of the S (he didn't have a costume at the time). I take your point though
Well ya, I was just explaining it in relevance to SR. The comics are another story though, after IC #6 Man of Steel by Byrne should be the official origins again..

The damage Superboy did by causing the Birthright time alteration is rumored to be reversed.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #92
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Quote:
Well in the context of the SR franchaise, it would take something away. Especially if the Metallo in the video game represents how Singer would interpret him and tell John Corben's story....

It would take much out of the surprise of seeing how the character was presented in a future film.
What's to stop Singer from introducing Metallo in a different way? What possible reason could he have for copying the game's giant Metallo when he could do the normal sized (and more interesting) version and make it a hundred times cooler than the lamo GodzillaCorben?

Old 03-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #93
Kane

Quote:
What's to stop Singer from introducing Metallo in a different way? What possible reason could he have for copying the game's giant Metallo when he could do the normal sized (and more interesting) version and make it a hundred times cooler than the lamo GodzillaCorben?
Um Metallo is normal sized in the game...the giant mecha is just something he pilots (prolly for the final level). The trailer shows Superman ripping Metallo out of the cockpit of the robot.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #94
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Quote:
Um Metallo is normal sized in the game...the giant mecha is just something he pilots (prolly for the final level). The trailer shows Superman ripping Metallo out of the cockpit of the robot.
Um, forgive me for not caring if he pilots it or if he's actually that size.

It's still John Corben's brain controlling the damn thing, and it's still lame.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #95
Kane

Its actually from the comics (the Giant Metallo) and thats not the point, the game will have to deal with Metallos backstory and origins too....I guess Singer could make *another* origin and story for the movie too...but then it would be like rendering this game moot.....plus the game based off the sequel would have to feature Metallo also.

Id prefer if it didnt do that...its unecessarily convoluted.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #96
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Quote:
Its actually from the comics (the Giant Metallo)
I'm well aware that it is from the comics (when did I say it wasn't?), but that doesn't change the fact that it's stupid.
Quote:
and thats not the point, the game will have to deal with Metallos backstory and origins too....I guess Singer could make *another* origin and story for the movie too...but then it would be like rendering this game moot.....plus the game based off the sequel would have to feature Metallo also.

Id prefer if it didnt do that...its unecessarily convoluted.
I've watched Metallo's origin in S:TAS, I've read it in Superman #1, and I've read his pre-crisis origin(s) too.

Does that make Metallo's stories convulted? No . They're all different and they're all fresh and interesting. Who's to say that Corben's transformation in the sequel (if he appears) will be exactly as it's shown in the game?

Old 03-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #97
Kane

Quote:
.I've watched Metallo's origin in S:TAS,?
Ditto.

Quote:
I've read it in Superman #1
have it.

Quote:
and I've read his pre-crisis origin(s) too.
Ditto again.

Quote:
Does that make Metallo's stories convulted? No . They're all different and they're all fresh and interesting. Who's to say that Corben's transformation in the sequel (if he appears) will be exactly as it's shown in the game?
Im only refering if the SR writers and Singer had creative input on how the character will be handled in the game....whether the Metallo in the game reflects Singer's vision of the character..

If it does, it kinda spoils seeing that vision on the big screen later on.

Last edited by Kane; 03-26-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #98
Lobo
Willa ♥

I think you're putting to much emphasis on the game. Not everyone who will see the movie and it's sequels are going to get and play the game, so whatever Singer and Co do will be new to them, personally I almost never play games anymore

Old 03-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #99
Kane

I guess. But Id rather see something fresh that hasnt been done by the SR people yet...like Brainiac.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #100
Threshold
Simply Amazing

What about that whole Suicide Squad thing that was in the comics a couple of years ago. I could see Singer doing something similar to that in the next film. What ever opposition Superman goes up against, it'll be one that tests him physically, mentally, and emotionally. That's something you can always guarantee when dealing with a Bryan Singer film. Thank goodness!

Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote