The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 04-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #51
JokerNick
Banned User

Default Re: Kill the mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comedian
I'm not saying to throw out all plot and drama to substitute for action, what I m saying is to have a better balance on the two. Batman Begins had an intricate, well versed plot, but I didn't feel that it was lacking action, it had plenty, but the action advanced the plot.

I could see how what I said could come off as me wanting to throw awaw the script and just having the mutants throw down for 90 minutes, ut it's not. I feel that X1/2 could have used action as a plot device better than it did. Showing the x-kids put up a better fight against the soldiers would have given an indication of the potential power carried by mutants, even when they are younger and less trained. I felt that could have added an important element to the plot of X2 that was lacking. These children all ahve incredible powers, but were completely helpless against a dart.
but that was the point, to make the children seem helpless, the purpose of the mansion raid was to show how crule people can be when they feel threatened, it was supposed to mirror what happened in WW2 europe..... I understand your poiint, but in a dramatic scale, showing children being attacked hightens the audience emotion, causing them to feel saddened and concerned, making the 3rd act where they rescue the children move pivital and engaging.......... you have to understand, having seninels flying in and capturing the kids while a huge fight going on would have desensitized many viewers causing them not to care as much........ after taking a few acting and writting classes in college, the most important rule I learned is, keep it simple and keep it straight forward, complexity causes conffusion which causes anoyance and disinterest... my 2 cents

JokerNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #52
SPider-T0rch
Still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerNick
but that was the point, to make the children seem helpless, the purpose of the mansion raid was to show how crule people can be when they feel threatened, it was supposed to mirror what happened in WW2 europe..... I understand your poiint, but in a dramatic scale, showing children being attacked hightens the audience emotion, causing them to feel saddened and concerned, making the 3rd act where they rescue the children move pivital and engaging.......... you have to understand, having seninels flying in and capturing the kids while a huge fight going on would have desensitized many viewers causing them not to care as much........ after taking a few acting and writting classes in college, the most important rule I learned is, keep it simple and keep it straight forward, complexity causes conffusion which causes anoyance and disinterest... my 2 cents
too true. i felt that same way when they were beign attacked

SPider-T0rch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #53
intensity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPider-T0rch
too true. i felt that same way when they were beign attacked
the scene still would have been very emotional if they showed more X-Kids using their powers... It wouldn't have depreciated the hostility shown to them, because they were all using them in a defensive and scared manner- Jubilee blasts a soldier to save herself, but is shot with a tranquilizer and kidnapped- Husk is frightened when grabbed, so she fights it off by shedding her skin- wolfsbane was supposed to be a little girl in the film, turning into a wolf to run to safety. It still would have shown Jones and Siryn being hurt, all of the kids running and screaming, and it would have made more sense plot-wise if Jubilee was actually shown being kidnapped. Who the heck cares about Jubilee if she isn't shown in the movie at all until Storm says her name at the very end?

intensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #54
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensity
Just so you know, I'm not bashing you or anything- just stating some facts- Jubilee and Multiple Man have no place on your list of 'lower tier' characters, and to a lesser extent, neither does Siryn. Jubilee is one of the most recognizeable and more prominent X-Characters in the Marvel Universe- I don't want to go into a long drawn out history of Jubes and just how cool/important she is... since it would really take awhile. Multiple Man is currently one of the most popular characters, being a mainstay in the current X-Factor title.

I agree with you in that I really don't understand why Quill and Arclight are in this film... I've only heard of them or seen a picture of them once in my years of collecting X-Comics... I don't think they even qualify as 2nd rate characters... they are practically the bottom of the list and should be if you were a director/writer choosing which mutants should appear in the films. How come Psylocke is placed on brotherhood status briefly until she is killed off in this film? She's an X-Man. There are so many cool supervillains in the X-Men universe that could be in the film franchise instead of Archlight and Quill(who is actually a new new mutant in the comics,) like Blob, SAURON, Black Queen, Omega Red, Sinister, Black Tom Cassidy, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Brood, Mojo, Apocolypse, etc.

Also, on the topic of the x-students... there are literally dozens of students who've attended Xavier Institute in the comics... not once has there been a person named Jones(who can change the tv channel!) or X-Kid(who can make paper airplanes fly!) Why in the world are they in this film? The movie is crowded enough with X-Characters... why replace or take up time of deserving characters like Jubilee, Psylocke, Gambit with the likes of the made up no-named mutant kids? Gambit had his name appear on a computer screen! Wow that sure made me appreciate him even more! Jubilee's been in all three films, and she hasn't even received a power scene that made the final cut. As she likes to say, Lame.
Jubilee is one of the most recognizable characters ONLY because she was in the cartoon. she is also, quite frequently, one of the most hated characters. i personally like her, but most write her off as a Robin-knockoff. Multiple Man is a 2nd tier character in that, he might have been around for a long time but he's not one of the "Big Boys." he does not have the same kind of name, or recognition outside of the comic lovers world as a character like Cyclops, Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Rogue, or Phoenix would.

i would NEVER want to see Mojo, Sauron, Apocalypse, Black Tom Cassiday, or The Brood in an X-Men film. NEVER! Mojo is a pathetically lame character. Sauron would be too complicated to explain, and would require the Savage Land, and i do not forsee that happening. Black Tom Cassiday is another lame mutant - he can control wood...big deal. The Brood are too similar to Fox's Alien franchise in both concept and look. and i have NEVER liked Apocalypse, if he is such a 'powerful' character why has it taken him 5000+ yrs to do not much of anything? he constantly claims he can take over the world and yet does nothing. LAME.

i think the reason for the creation of new students, or the placement of 2nd/3rd/4th tier characters into the franchise is to show the general viewing audience that not every mutant power grants god-like powers to them. some can disrupt electrical currents by blinking...wow...and would you seriously want a character like Gambit placed in the Mansion for nothing but a cameo? he's too famous and popular a character to reduce to cameo status. and i feel like i have already explained my opinion and why i think they should keep using relatively obscure mutant characters in these films. it works to create a world where some mutants have powers that seem rather silly then wowmazing. i was secretly hoping for a Maggot, Marrow, Cecilia Reyes, Forge, or Thunderbird cameo myself in these films. actually...i seriously want Forge in the movies, Cecilia Reyes too. but that's a whole different argument.

As I go deep into the funnel of love

Tumblr

Liz Lemon is my spirit animal
newwaveboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:57 PM   #55
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

Quote:
I'm not saying to throw out all plot and drama to substitute for action, what I m saying is to have a better balance on the two. Batman Begins had an intricate, well versed plot, but I didn't feel that it was lacking action, it had plenty, but the action advanced the plot.

I could see how what I said could come off as me wanting to throw awaw the script and just having the mutants throw down for 90 minutes, ut it's not. I feel that X1/2 could have used action as a plot device better than it did. Showing the x-kids put up a better fight against the soldiers would have given an indication of the potential power carried by mutants, even when they are younger and less trained. I felt that could have added an important element to the plot of X2 that was lacking. These children all ahve incredible powers, but were completely helpless against a dart.
it was explained in the first movie that SOME of the students:
1. don't know how to use their powers
2. have only been shown to have an active mutant gene, but their powers might not have manifested
3. you're also talking about children here. a bunch of little kids. if soldiers break into someone's home and hold a gun to an 8 yr old's head do you seriously think they would physically fight back? powers or not, does not matter. they are scared little children for the most part. the oldest students seen were Rogue, Pyro, Colossus and Iceman who seen helping get the youngest ones out of the mansion ASAP.

Tumblr

Old 04-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #56
EmmaFrostRules
Waiting for May 26th...

^^too right. if someone came into my room in the middle of the night...i wouldnt fight....i would scream until somebody heard me

EmmaFrostRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:19 AM   #57
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaFrostRules
^^too right. if someone came into my room in the middle of the night...i wouldnt fight....i would scream until somebody heard me
I would poo my pants and then use it as a weapon.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:19 AM   #58
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

like monkies do?

Tumblr

Old 04-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #59
EmmaFrostRules
Waiting for May 26th...

madagascar lol. "if you've got any poo, throw it at them now.."

Old 04-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #60
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:

There were a lot of cool things meant to be included as plot devices in the previous X-movies, including additional scenes with action and powers . . . they simply didn't have the budget to include them.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #61
Abaddon
Watching

INT. STRYKER'S BASE - CONTAINMENT HALL

A LARGE DOOR OPENS. Storm and Nightcrawler step into the large CONTAINMENT ROOM, gawking.

WIDE ON THE ROOM to reveal: A MASSIVE OPEN CYLINDER -- 150 feet in diameter. Above them, EIGHT GLASS CAGES swing from chains attached to the ceiling, each holding a different one of Xavier's students.

NIGHTCRAWLER
Mein Gott...

Storm and Nightcrawler start towards a BANK OF SWITCHES, when A FIGURE leaps from high above and lands in front of them.

THE FIGURE, crouched on all fours, crawls into a shaft of light, revealing:

TOAD -- his eyes still black and dilated. HE GRINS at Storm and sticks out his tongue, revealing it charred and scarred from their last encounter.

NIGHTCRAWLER
Get the kids.
(she hesitates)
Go!

Storm runs towards the bank of switches. Toad LEAPS towards her, but Nightcrawler JUMPS into the air and SLAMS against him, knocking him away from her.

Toad looks up at the ceiling. He grins and scurries up a massive column in the center of the room. Nightcrawler quickly follows -- racing upward.

ON THE GROUND

Storm approaches the large CONTROL BOX. She throws the first switch, and a cage begins to lower. She hits a second switch. SPARKS FLY. The cages stop. Inside, Jones watches, terrified.

ABOVE

Toad, chased by Nightcrawler, grabs onto a LARGE, THICK CHAIN and rips it from the ceiling.

It swings down toward Storm...

NIGHTCRAWLER
Miss Storm!

...SHE LOOKS UP just as it SLAMS into her, knocking her into the center of the room, unconscious.

(At this time Jean, Mystique, and Magneto are on their way to the evil Cerebro. Pyro, Bobby, and Rogue are in the X-Jet talking.)

INT. STRYKER'S BASE -- CONTAINMENT HALL -- SAME TIME

The children SCREAM as Toad and Nightcrawler fight each other, leaping from cage to cage.

Toad climbs to the top of the room. He looks at a PIN, which connects a cage to a chain. He SMILES and yanks the pin out.

THE CAGE BEGINS TO FALL. Inside the cage, Jubilee SCREAMS.

Nightcrawler sees her. BAMF! He teleports inside the cage, grabs Jubilee, and BAMF! They're gone.

BAMF! He puts Jubilee safely on the ground. The cage comes crashing down next to them.

He looks up to see Toad leap from one cage to another, yanking two more pins. TWO MORE CAGES begin to drop, the kids inside panic.

BAMF! Nightcrawler teleports from one cage to the next, saving the kids before they hit the ground.

ON THE GROUND

Nightcrawler appears, huffing and puffing -- fatigued. He looks up.

IN THE RAFTERS

Toad grins wickedly, and disappears in a blur of speed and movement. FIVE MORE CAGES, one after another, suddenly begin to drop.

PUSH IN ON NIGHTCRAWLER: As he closes his eyes. BAMF! BAMF! BAMF! BAMF! BAMF! BAMF! BAMF!

The silhouette of his movement screams through space. One by one, the kids safely appear on the ground.

CRASH! CRASH! CRASH! Cages are falling all around Storm's unconscious body.

IN THE RAFTERS

TOAD pulls a pin from the last cage. Jones is inside.

BAMF! Nightcrawler appears behind Toad. He wraps his arms around Toad...BAMF! The two of them teleport into Jones' falling cage...

INSIDE THE CAGE

...BAMF! Nightcrawler and Toad reappear. Nightcrawler GRABS JONES, and BAMF! They're out, leaving Toad behind, SCREAMING.

ON THE GROUND

Nightcrawler and Jones reappear to see the cage FALLING TOWARDS STORM'S BODY. BAMF!

BAMF! She disappears in a cloud of smoke as Toad's cage SMASHES into the ground.

Storm comes to. She and the kids stare in awe at Nightcrawler, who lies on the ground, trying to catch his breath.

JONES
I...think I have to throw up.

Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #62
newwaveboy87
automatic systematic

that would have ROCKED!

Tumblr

Old 04-14-2006, 12:42 AM   #63
WorthyStevens
Green Man

Nice.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #64
EmmaFrostRules
Waiting for May 26th...

wow....

Old 04-14-2006, 05:47 AM   #65
pt_photo_inc
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newwaveboy87
Jubilee is one of the most recognizable characters ONLY because she was in the cartoon. she is also, quite frequently, one of the most hated characters. i personally like her, but most write her off as a Robin-knockoff. Multiple Man is a 2nd tier character in that, he might have been around for a long time but he's not one of the "Big Boys." he does not have the same kind of name, or recognition outside of the comic lovers world as a character like Cyclops, Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Rogue, or Phoenix would.

i would NEVER want to see Mojo, Sauron, Apocalypse, Black Tom Cassiday, or The Brood in an X-Men film. NEVER! Mojo is a pathetically lame character. Sauron would be too complicated to explain, and would require the Savage Land, and i do not forsee that happening. Black Tom Cassiday is another lame mutant - he can control wood...big deal. The Brood are too similar to Fox's Alien franchise in both concept and look. and i have NEVER liked Apocalypse, if he is such a 'powerful' character why has it taken him 5000+ yrs to do not much of anything? he constantly claims he can take over the world and yet does nothing. LAME.

i think the reason for the creation of new students, or the placement of 2nd/3rd/4th tier characters into the franchise is to show the general viewing audience that not every mutant power grants god-like powers to them. some can disrupt electrical currents by blinking...wow...and would you seriously want a character like Gambit placed in the Mansion for nothing but a cameo? he's too famous and popular a character to reduce to cameo status. and i feel like i have already explained my opinion and why i think they should keep using relatively obscure mutant characters in these films. it works to create a world where some mutants have powers that seem rather silly then wowmazing. i was secretly hoping for a Maggot, Marrow, Cecilia Reyes, Forge, or Thunderbird cameo myself in these films. actually...i seriously want Forge in the movies, Cecilia Reyes too. but that's a whole different argument.
MAN you are sooo very perfectly right on! I dont know who you are but you are 100% right in about everything i have read from you. I would love to see a movie about the morlock tunnels and a war where they come up to snatch some "pretties". LIke the blue creatures in TIME MACHINE. I think that could work as a movie really well too... and then i would love to see a story with the LEGACY VIRUS

pt_photo_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:49 AM   #66
pt_photo_inc
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon

A LARGE DOOR OPENS. Storm and Nightcrawler step into the large CONTAINMENT ROOM, gawking.

WIDE ON THE ROOM to reveal: A MASSIVE OPEN CYLINDER -- 150 feet in diameter. Above them, EIGHT GLASS CAGES swing from chains attached to the ceiling, each holding a different one of Xavier's students.

NIGHTCRAWLER
Mein Gott...

Storm and Nightcrawler start towards a BANK OF SWITCHES, when A FIGURE leaps from high above and lands in front of them.

TOAD -- his eyes still black and dilated. HE GRINS at Storm and sticks out his tongue, revealing it charred and scarred from their last encounter.

NIGHTCRAWLER
Get the kids.
(she hesitates)
Go!

Storm runs towards the bank of switches. Toad LEAPS towards her, but Nightcrawler JUMPS into the air and SLAMS against him, knocking him away from her.

Toad looks up at the ceiling. He grins and scurries up a massive column in the center of the room. Nightcrawler quickly follows -- racing upward.

ON THE GROUND

Storm approaches the large CONTROL BOX. She throws the first switch, and a cage begins to lower. She hits a second switch. SPARKS FLY. The cages stop. Inside, Jones watches, terrified.

ABOVE

Toad, chased by Nightcrawler, grabs onto a LARGE, THICK CHAIN and rips it from the ceiling.

NIGHTCRAWLER
Miss Storm!

...SHE LOOKS UP just as it SLAMS into her, knocking her into the center of the room, unconscious.

(At this time Jean, Mystique, and Magneto are on their way to the evil Cerebro. Pyro, Bobby, and Rogue are in the X-Jet talking.)

The children SCREAM as Toad and Nightcrawler fight each other, leaping from cage to cage.

Toad climbs to the top of the room. He looks at a PIN, which connects a cage to a chain. He SMILES and yanks the pin out.

Nightcrawler sees her. BAMF! He teleports inside the cage, grabs Jubilee, and BAMF! They're gone.

BAMF! He puts Jubilee safely on the ground. The cage comes crashing down next to them.

He looks up to see Toad leap from one cage to another, yanking two more pins. TWO MORE CAGES begin to drop, the kids inside panic.

BAMF! Nightcrawler teleports from one cage to the next, saving the kids before they hit the ground.

ON THE GROUND

IN THE RAFTERS

Toad grins wickedly, and disappears in a blur of speed and movement. FIVE MORE CAGES, one after another, suddenly begin to drop.

PUSH IN ON NIGHTCRAWLER: As he closes his eyes. BAMF! BAMF! BAMF! BAMF! BAMF! BAMF! BAMF!

The silhouette of his movement screams through space. One by one, the kids safely appear on the ground.

IN THE RAFTERS

BAMF! Nightcrawler appears behind Toad. He wraps his arms around Toad...BAMF! The two of them teleport into Jones' falling cage...

INSIDE THE CAGE

...BAMF! Nightcrawler and Toad reappear. Nightcrawler GRABS JONES, and BAMF! They're out, leaving Toad behind, SCREAMING.

ON THE GROUND

Nightcrawler and Jones reappear to see the cage FALLING TOWARDS STORM'S BODY. BAMF!

BAMF! She disappears in a cloud of smoke as Toad's cage SMASHES into the ground.

Storm comes to. She and the kids stare in awe at Nightcrawler, who lies on the ground, trying to catch his breath.

JONES

Like everything about this but nightcrawlers speed and accuracy, and I would def. have a kid die. Marvel is too sugar coated... one kids has to die. It just has to be a "You do what you can" story. I hated SERENITY when everyone made it out okay! I hated it!!!!!!!!!!!! That is not life! We are in a war, and let me promise you... some people are not coming home.

So kudos on the script finding or writting... but i think one kid would have to die for it to work. And the whole Audience would be like..... "hhhhhhhhhhhhhh *GASP* ooohhh my god......... ****"

pt_photo_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:19 AM   #67
LEX
No justice; just us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon

NIGHTCRAWLER
Mein Gott...

NIGHTCRAWLER
Get the kids.
(she hesitates)
Go!

ON THE GROUND

ABOVE

NIGHTCRAWLER
Miss Storm!

ON THE GROUND

IN THE RAFTERS

IN THE RAFTERS

INSIDE THE CAGE

ON THE GROUND

JONES
Now, why isn't that in the movie? Grr, that'd be one awesome fight.

- Mort
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #68
JokerNick
Banned User

back to the X_mansion, you forget that in the movies, they state that the mutant powers don't manifest until they hit puberty, many of those kids looked pre-pubecent, so they wouldn't have powers......

JokerNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #69
TNC9852002
Banned User

Why? Why..? Why..?

So many questions...All can be answered in one word:

MONEY

-TNC

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #70
LEX
No justice; just us.

Yeah, I know. It was a rant post.

- Mort
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #71
WorthyStevens
Green Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002
Why? Why..? Why..?

So many questions...All can be answered in one word:

MONEY

-TNC
Which they have more of this time around.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
Old 04-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #72
Abaddon
Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerNick
back to the X_mansion, you forget that in the movies, they state that the mutant powers don't manifest until they hit puberty, many of those kids looked pre-pubecent, so they wouldn't have powers......
Most kids hit puberty at about 12,so I'd say those kids fit the bill.

Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #73
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

And most of them wouldn't suspect they were mutants until their powers manifested. Parents/children would have no grounds for thinking they may be a mutant, unless they had a congenital physical difference (congenital = from birth) like scales, or green hair, or tentacles or something like that!

I imagine Mystique was born blue and scaly - her power to disguise that appearance and her agility to fight back no doubt kicked in during puberty when she no doubt got seriously bullied for how she looked. An adaptive response.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #74
WorthyStevens
Green Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac
And most of them wouldn't suspect they were mutants until their powers manifested. Parents/children would have no grounds for thinking they may be a mutant, unless they had a congenital physical difference (congenital = from birth) like scales, or green hair, or tentacles or something like that!

I imagine Mystique was born blue and scaly - her power to disguise that appearance and her agility to fight back no doubt kicked in during puberty when she no doubt got seriously bullied for how she looked. An adaptive response.
Such as the case with the Drake family.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
Old 04-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #75
Enlight
Side-Kick

You guys know how during the cerebro scene in X2 there seem to be as many mutants as humans. I don't think that makes any since. I thought mutants were a minorty, but I never read the comics. So did the film get it wrong? Or was the film showing everyone with the mutant genes vs the ones without. Someone help me out here.

Enlight is offline   Reply With Quote