The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 05-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #26
MJB
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why no love and expectations for X3 from the media??

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101
I think that the general public doesn't know about "perception problems" or change of director (no one I know goes to movies because of who the director is unless it's a big name like Spielberg - MAYBE) and will go because it's another X-Men movie and they enjoyed the other ones.

I've said this before as well, and people who try and make an issue of it, especially in the media who are no doubt trying to sink the film with bad press especially if the media source is owned by a rivel studio. Time Warner has a huge media entertainment presence. I'm not saying that WB doesn this for sure ,but a bias is there. Superman is not going to do Spiderman numbers, that much i can say.

MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #27
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthyStevens4
I doubt Poseidon will make more than $140 million, if that...
Poseidon will bomb I believe. I mean come on! How can they top Shelly Winters' underwater swimming scene from the original?

"I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart." Frodo Baggins - Fellowship of the Rings

I have changed. Things that I once wanted are now but a distant memory forever cloaked in the shadows of the twilight of the past.
Knightsaber Priss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #28
JokerNick
Banned User

x3 will make 60 mill it's first weekend.........
it will drop the next weekend to about 18 million
then it will fall down as the summer movie com out
in the end it wills struggle to bring in 140 million
you can disagree all you want, box office numbers are down
and don't for one minute don't think people don't know about ratner directing this, in my local paper, it has been written about atleast 4 times in the past 5 months, we had a big movie preview a week ago, under x3, it says rush hour direct brett ratner taking the director spot, intail thougts: wait till DVD......... that's what it said about X-3

JokerNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #29
WorthyStevens
Green Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000
Poseidon will bomb I believe. I mean come on! How can they top Shelly Winters' underwater swimming scene from the original?
I never saw the original.

But I'm just not getting a 'huge' feeling with this one.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #30
xstormfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerNick
and don't for one minute don't think people don't know about ratner directing this, in my local paper, it has been written about atleast 4 times in the past 5 months, we had a big movie preview a week ago, under x3, it says rush hour direct brett ratner taking the director spot, intail thougts: wait till DVD......... that's what it said about X-3

Actually box office numbers are up in comparision to last year...

xstormfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #31
WorthyStevens
Green Man

Quote:
That made me laugh. No offense Nick.

There's so many factors working in X3's favor.

3 little words: Memorial Day Weekend. Add in the fact that there's great anticipation for this movie (and believe me, there is) and also that it's the only film premiering that week, and you've got a jackpot.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #32
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac
This is all nonsense really. Most people out there aren't aware of 'creative teams' moving, or even of directors changing.

That Newsweek article was irresponsible to be honest. And I shall be telling them so. They obviously haven't seen the trailers, they don't mention the star cast (Kelsey Grammer's superhero debut, as well as Vinnie's), they don't get the summary entirely right and what a bland summary it was.

Just because one person is able to publish their opinion in Newsweek as a reviewer of summer movies does not make them an expert or an authority.
Regardless of whether its simply someone's opinion, Newsweek, Rolling Stone, etc. are heavily read, widespread publications and can influence people.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call the article irresponsible, as though they have some sort of responsibility to X-Men--I would hardly call Kelsey Grammar a box office draw to most people, nor Vinnie Jones (most people don't even know who Jones is and he has hardly done anything worthy of receiving the title All-Star).

As far as the summary is concerned . . . that's what FOX is billing it as, and is not the fault of Newsweek. I agree they should include more in the summary . . . at least an allusion to Jean Grey's return and the consquences it may have.

Last edited by BMM; 05-08-2006 at 02:43 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #33
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000
Haha. Agreed.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #34
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Well, why don't we just wait and see here. They've had this movie mapped out long before Ratner got his hands on it. Only thing I could see taking me out of the movie and suspending my belief is seeing Mac from Predator as Bolivar Trask. I half expect Jesse Ventura playing the President in this movie.

"I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart." Frodo Baggins - Fellowship of the Rings

I have changed. Things that I once wanted are now but a distant memory forever cloaked in the shadows of the twilight of the past.

Last edited by Knightsaber Priss; 05-08-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #35
JokerNick
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncomingStorm
Seriously, he was excited about Fantastic Four. Please! He's a pioneer, but people gotta learn to make their own opinions and stop believing critics and old infirmity creators...

NEXT ------->
and he addmittied in the interview that x-men is his favorite marvel franchise, followed by spiderman, then he said he'd plave FF third, follwed by daredevil, then the hulk being last....... didn't mention elektra (except that is was a mess) punisher, blade or any other films in the marvel series.......

and no, I'm not going to bring a freaking playpen to work to scan the pages, go to your local book store and buy it if you don't believe me, I honestly think you should care what this guy has to say, he's in charge of Marvel entertainment, they just got the rights to the hulk back, and he want;'s nothing more then x-men to succeed, it just seemed like he loves singer and it's anticipating superman returns alot..........

Old 05-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #36
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Let's wait for the actual box office takings and not make massive estimates.

It almost looks like you want this film to fail. Let me sharply remind you that Bryan chose to leave and do Superman and that without Brett stepping in, we wouldn't have an X3 at all.

Whose side are you on? It seems to me like you like to start trouble and then back off and watch the sparks fly. The phrase 'trolling around' under your screenname looks very appropriate. I don't think you should be believed or trusted one bit.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #37
OncomingStorm
Side-Kick

Quote:
So, everyone in the world, reads your local newspaper. AMAZING...

When will people stop thinking their opinions are the GOD-GIVEN answer. Make predictions all you want, but don't immediately think for once, that everyone feels the same way you do. I mean I'm so tired of the "around my neighborhood", "in my town", "on my streets" or "in my school", cause that's a minority in the realm of the world.

Sorry for the rant, I know I'm a newbie!

OncomingStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #38
JokerNick
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM
Regardless of whether its simply someone's opinion, Newsweek, Rolling Stone, etc. are heavily read, widespread publications and can influence people.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call the article irresponsible, as though they have some sort of responsibility to X-Men--I would hardly call Kelsey Grammar a box office draw to most people, nor Vinnie Jones (most people don't even know who Jones is and he has hardly done anything worthy of receiving the title All-Star). As for as the summary is concerned . . . that's what FOX is billing it as, and is not the fault of Newsweek. I agree they should include more in the summary . . . at least an allusion to Jean Grey's return and the consquences it may have.
not to mention Grammar got bumber from that late night show...........

Old 05-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #39
MJB
Side-Kick

Quote:
if you guys wanna know the strangest thing, in an interview with stan lee. when asked about x3, all he did was say that he loved the first two x films, he thought that singer was incredible, he brought things to the screen that would seem silly if another director would have done it, and then he said, x3 should be good, but then he went off and talked about how he can't wait to see superman returns.....

Stan Lee is more excited about Superman then X-Men............. that right there should prove somethings up

Don't know if this is true considering that Lee gets a percentage of the profits, so I don't see him rooting for Superman while shrugging off Xmen. Also he and marvel could want the property out of the hands of FOX. I have my doubts because of the writers, but I never got why are major characters being killed off? Someone told me that FOX only has a 3 pic deal for the Xmen, not sure if that's true but I can see FOX trying to make it difficult for Marvel to bring X4 to the bigscreen with the whole gutting the major characters and the next creative team having a hard time coming up with a believable story to bring them back. FOX probably tried to renew their rights deal with marvel, and they passed because They have credit to make their own films now, so FOX is going to tank the franchise in a way that another will be hard to make. Now all this I've said is speculation, but it's worth mentioning.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #40
SilentType
Banned User

Most people don't even know who Brian Singer or Brett Ratner are.

SilentType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #41
JokerNick
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncomingStorm
So, everyone in the world, reads your local newspaper. AMAZING...

When will people stop thinking their opinions are the GOD-GIVEN answer. Make predictions all you want, but don't immediately think for once, that everyone feels the same way you do. I mean I'm so tired of the "around my neighborhood", "in my town", "on my streets" or "in my school", cause that's a minority in the realm of the world.

Sorry for the rant, I know I'm a newbie!
and you tottaly prove it by your post, not once did I say the world reads my newspaper, and I'm saying is that if my paper is saying that, and it's was done by the AP, that's what most papers are going to be reporting on, and many people go by what their news source tells them , hence the reviews you see every friday in your paper, and if that's the word on the street, X3 probably won't be exceding foxs expectations

Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #42
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
Go over to AICN Nick if you just want to say negative things that make no sense just for laughs.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #43
XCharlieX
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well i eprsonally believe in wisdom in the masses.. most of the time people know whats up...so this "ignore critics" stuff is usually an excuse to justify anything imo. the positivity im willing to bet is for ACTION.

XCharlieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #44
WorthyStevens
Green Man

Quote:
and you tottaly prove it by your post, not once did I say the world reads my newspaper, and I'm saying is that if my paper is saying that, and it's was done by the AP, that's what most papers are going to be reporting on, and many people go by what their news source tells them , hence the reviews you see every friday in your paper, and if that's the word on the street, X3 probably won't be exceding foxs expectations
Alot of people liked the Rush Hour movies, so really, that can only help X3's box office.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #45
XCharlieX
Awaiting Email Confirmation

And the folks who saw rush hour are... popcorn movie fans... action top priority.

XCharlieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #46
Knightsaber Priss
Lone Wolf

Okay....I've said it before and I'll say this again, being virtually unknown is an asset when dealing with characters adapted from a comicbook franchise. Let's see, was Chris Reeves a wel known, high profile actor? Was Hugh Jackman? Let's see how Vinnie Jones plays Juggernaut eh before we go shooting slings and arrows at him.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #47
fallenAngel
Side-Kick

There doesn't seem to be much hype for any summer movie. Maybe because I don't watch much tv and haven't been to a theater in a month. ( a personal record) but I haven't seen commercials for much of anything.

I think X3 has some negative buzz, but mostly it's just the whole "Jury is still out" vibe. People think it looks and sounds good but because of the different director (one who has had a mediocre track record), and there for are probably going to wait for word of mouth. With the exception of the fans. If the movie is at least good, it will do fine.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #48
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM

I don't know if I would go so far as to call the article irresponsible, as though they have some sort of responsibility to X-Men--I would hardly call Kelsey Grammar a box office draw to most people, nor Vinnie Jones (most people don't even know who Jones is and he has hardly done anything worthy of receiving the title All-Star).

As far as the summary is concerned . . . that's what FOX is billing it as, and is not the fault of Newsweek. I agree they should include more in the summary . . . at least an allusion to Jean Grey's return and the consquences it may have.
It seemed irresponsible in its presentation. How were the top films decided? On what quantitative evidence? And the addition of those little snippy 'nagging thoughts' asides to the other films, as though the fact that Brett stepped in to rescue the movie was not a good thing! Bryan abandoned X3, let's not forget that. The trailers all look good (did the article mention that, no!).

Kelsey and Vinnie are certainly worthy of publicity and will be names people know. It's an amazing turnaround for Kelsey to go from Frasier to a classic comicbook character.

The summary was bland and bad. No mention of a final conflict, no mention of the power of evolution at its terrifying peak (Phoenix). It was not a good representation of the movie.

I consider Brett to be rescuing this franchise and doing us a favour. Let's not forget all the amazing things we've seen so far in the trailers and TV spots that are all over the place. This movie has potential to be great. The reviewer chose to focus on negatives and make it sound bland.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #49
MJB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wow 60 million over the 4 days? That would be bad, and you could be right. Then again X3 could make 120 million over the weekend. i just honeslty don't know what to expect. We then have the media outlets and some internet sites writing the film off a garbage before even seeing it, but at the same time saying that SR wil be gold. A lot of these media people are biased and work for rivel studios. This is the main reason that I hope to god that x3 blows Superman out of the water. Just because of the ego of some of these people.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #50
thegameq
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstormfan
i dont know why so many think Superman will be number one of the summer i bet anything Pirates beats them all
Because its Superman. Ever since part II, fans and the general audience have always wanted more of the blue bomber. I'm no huge fan of the character, but even I felt a tingle of excitement and anticipation seeing both trailers and hearing that now infamous score once again. It's almost like the Star Wars thing; you just know it's STAR WARS. From there the anticipation builds as you're quickly reminded of your fondness for the films.

I wish I could say the X-men trailers made me feel that way. I don't know, I get this feeling that X3 is not so much in a crowded field, but quite possibly in over its head this summer. Ratner really needs to hit a grand slam with this film. X3 will have no staying power if it's not great.

thegameq is offline   Reply With Quote