Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 AM   #26
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Cool Re: Tom Cruise Iron Man Talk...Round 2

Quote:
Cruise back on Iron Man?
Posted by Clint Morris on May 10, 2006
I don’t know whether it’s still the case, considering the substandard figures over the weekend for “MI: 3”, but word is, Paramount may be after Tom Cruise to don the steel chemise of Tony Stark [again].
Cruise expressed his interest in the project a few years back – yeah, been in the works that long – but never officially signed on, and seemingly went cold on the idea. Now, according to The Post Chronicle, the couch-jumper may have reattached himself to the project.
If the Cruise rumours are true, I’m guessing it’s the studio’s idea, and not director Jon Favreau’s suggestion – who’s said to be more interested in casting a fresh-face in the role of the superhero. Having said that, Favreau was spotted at the “MI:3” premiere. Hmm.
In 2004, Cruise expressed his love for the popular comic-book character saying, “He’s a fascinating character, but we’ve got to figure out how it’s going to work. And everyone is doing a Marvel character these days. How do we make that new, create something fresh where it doesn’t feel like, ‘Oh, here comes another superhero story’?”
Later though, he mentioned that it wouldn’t be happening, because "They came to me at a certain point and, when I do something, I wanna do it right. If I commit to something, it has to be done in a way that I know it's gonna be something special. And as it was lining up, it just didn't feel to me like it was gonna work. I need to be able to make decisions and make the film as great as it can be, and it just didn't go down that road that way."
"It was two years before we decided to make [War of the Worlds]. There's a commitment. Obviously, I trust Steven... I've never just made a movie to make a movie. I've always made it because I was really interested in the story. I wanted to make that kind of picture and see what it would take. And it was an adventure for me. And for [Iron Man], it just wasn't panning out, so far. As of yet…"
Things may have changed since…it seems…
If Cruise signs on, he’d play the abovesaid Tony Stark, an alcoholic billionaire who’s involved in an accident which leaves him having to create a suit of armor to save his life.
http://www.moviehole.net

Advanced Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:33 AM   #27
GothicPowerMix1
Banned User

Default Re: Tom Cruise Iron Man Talk...Round 2

I'd prefer that one guy from Invasion over Cruise

GothicPowerMix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 AM   #28
Sava
Dont cry, my dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Dark
stll proves nothing, these guys are going from the other place where they said the same s**t without any proof

Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:50 AM   #29
MJB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman24
Well, I certainly hope not, MI:3 didn't meet opening day expectations, granted it made over $47 million, but Ice Age 2 made over $70 million its opening weekend and Cruise is supposed to Hollywoods heavy weight, I would say his off set antics have hurt him with the public, and that's not what Iron man needs, I would have been estatic if Cruise would have taken the role after Last Samauri and Collaterial, but not after Oprah.

Minority Report had 140 million budget and was directed by Speilberg and yet it raked in 132 million domestically and opened with 38 million. No one screamed that Cruise wasn't a box office draw then, and MR was also a summer blockbuster. Collaterial also wasn't a huge movie, even though it made good money it wasn't huge.

I do agree with you that cruise needs to be reeled in. I don't know what's going on with the man I have no problem with him, but I'm on the side that doesn't give a **** about a celeb's personel life.

Cruise as IM is safe bet for me. The film will at least range from highly entertaining to good with Cruise on board. It'll also get a good budget. Try shopping a studio for a quality creative team and a good budget with an unknown.

MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:52 AM   #30
Darren Daring
Banned User

He would be pretty good

Darren Daring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #31
Sava
Dont cry, my dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
Minority Report had 140 million budget and was directed by Speilberg and yet it raked in 132 million domestically and opened with 38 million. No one screamed that Cruise wasn't a box office draw then, and MR was also a summer blockbuster. Collaterial also wasn't a huge movie, even though it made good money it wasn't huge.

I do agree with you that cruise needs to be reeled in. I don't know what's going on with the man I have no problem with him, but I'm on the side that doesn't give a **** about a celeb's personel life.

Cruise as IM is safe bet for me. The film will at least range from highly entertaining to good with Cruise on board. It'll also get a good budget. Try shopping a studio for a quality creative team and a good budget with an unknown.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #32
MJB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicPowerMix1
I'd prefer that one guy from Invasion over Cruise
Yeah and IM will also get a 40 million budget along with a cheaper creative team. IM is not a seller alone. it needs some star power. Also as much as i hate to bring up race, the guy from Invasion is hispanic and to date no hispanic male star has proven to be a box office draw unless I'm wrong and missed someone. Can he be passed off as white? i guess if he went the Sheen family way maybe, but to me and so many others we all know the dude isn't lily white. I wouldn't be mad if he got the role, but sadly no studio is going to invest a good budget in this project with him on board.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:03 AM   #33
MJB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTHONYNASTI
Crudup and Caviezel would make perfect Tony Starks.

I like both, especially Crudup and he looks like stark, but he has no star power. Caviezel is a good actor and alright, i wouldn't be mad, but no. Hal Jordan yes, IM no. Personally Mathew Fox and Patrick Dempsey are on the top of my list.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:03 AM   #34
Sava
Dont cry, my dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
Yeah and IM will also get a 40 million budget along with a cheaper creative team. IM is not a seller alone. it needs some star power. Also as much as i hate to bring up race, the guy from Invasion is hispanic and to date no hispanic male star has proven to be a box office draw unless I'm wrong and missed someone. Can he be passed off as white? i guess if he went the Sheen family way maybe, but to me and so many others we all know the dude isn't lily white. I wouldn't be mad if he got the role, but sadly no studio is going to invest a good budget in this project with him on board.
marvel are doing IM them selves

Old 05-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #35
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

The whole Tom Cruise thing wouldn't surprise me, he was interested in the role awhile ago, as has been said in many posts here, the thing is if you read Jon's reply to the question of who he wants for the role, he said he likes the Bryan Singer mold for casting, getting actors who would be availible for sequels, Cruise while he has done 3 Mission Impossible films, was hard to get back for those sequels.

Ironfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #36
Sava
Dont cry, my dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72
The whole Tom Cruise thing wouldn't surprise me, he was interested in the role awhile ago, as has been said in many posts here, the thing is if you read Jon's reply to the question of who he wants for the role, he said he likes the Bryan Singer mold for casting, getting actors who would be availible for sequels, Cruise while he has done 3 Mission Impossible films, was hard to get back for those sequels.
its actually the other way around, he wanted to, the directors he wanted to make make MI3 didnt, untill WOTW came around, he was looking to make MI3

Old 05-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #37
spahn
Side-Kick

there is just something that irks me about cruise playing IM. Caviezel would be good but he has to stop looking so depressed. every movie he does, he looks like he's depressed.

the guy from Invasion looks to be a real good choice. i want someone who would put passion into the movie, not someone who is cocky like cruise. he's so full of himself that its pretty sickening.

sava, i love your avatar.

spahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #38
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Jon Favreau just commented on Tom Cruise:

Quote:
Posted: May 10, 2006 8:59 AM

Page Six reported that Tom was in some way attached to play Iron Man pending his opinion of the script. As far as I know, there is no truth to this rumor. Before I came onboard, there was some discussion between Marvel and Tom's people about him playing the role, but my understanding is that that was all before the rights reverted from New Line back to Marvel. This story might be old news. This is all I know.

-Jon Favreau

Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #39
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

I had a feeling that this was a old report that resurfaced when Cruise's MI:3 didn't do as well at the box office and all the buzz about Jon's hiring for Iron Man.
Nice to see him address it so quickly.

Ironfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #40
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Tony Stark has latino roots, the Maria Stark Foundation anyone?

By the way, that link had this awesome ad.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #41
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I don't recall Maria Stark being latina. You mean to tell me only latinas can be named Maria?

Also Advanced Dark, didn't you post all the Cruise stuff in the first place.

Ok here are my thoughts. I'm honestly not that opposed for Cruise to play the role. Also as to the story Advanced Dark posted, if this is MARVEL doing the movie as he always boasts and cheerleads, how would Paramount who is just in this as a distributor get all this input into Cruise playing the lead role? The story doesn't hold water, and Favreau's comments prove that.

That's not to eliminate any possibility of Cruise still being in it. It just shows how bull**** and fake these newZ sites and rumors from these movie sites are. And how unreliable they can be.

They haven't even finished a script. Favreau says they aren't thinking of anyone for the role yet. They want to get the script and story on paper first.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #42
Advanced Dark
Banned User

^ Vile I just posted the F'n story I didn't write it. I've never claimed Tom Cruise is on top of my list to play Stark. Also you don't need to post subtle zingers against me within your posts every time. Keep it nice here and everyone will appreciate your arguments. Boasts and cheerleads? You don't see me calling you the board downer and pessimist every chance I get. Do you think Iron Man is coming in 2008 now? As far as I know Paramount has zero creative control however they do have ties to certain directors and producers that Marvel might want or might not have gotten with another Studio. Many of these directors have 1st look deals even if Paramount is just distributing it they'll surely let Favreau have an early go ahead as long as Marvel approved...and why not. Favreau is in with Paramount so we got really lucky. That's why I'm looking to see what directors have close ties to Universal who is distributed Hulk 2. BTW Tom Cruise also has major ties to Paramount as does Harrison Ford (Stark Senior?)

Last edited by Advanced Dark; 05-10-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #43
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Dark
^ Vile I just posted the F'n story I didn't write it. I've never claimed Tom Cruise is on top of my list to play Stark. Also you don't need to post subtle personal attacks against me within your posts every time. Keep it nice here and everyone will appreciate. Boasts and cheerleads? WTF do you do here besides being the board downer.
I just think knowing everything that you do, would cause you to point out the things that I did .

What do I do? I dunno, go into the misc. forums sometimes .

I'm not being a downer about anything, in case you haven't noticed, I'm in full support of this project and Favreau. He put the project back on track where it needed to be. Cassavettes and co. were basically killing it.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #44
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne
I just think knowing everything that you do, would cause you to point out the things that I did .

What do I do? I dunno, go into the misc. forums sometimes .

I'm not being a downer about anything, in case you haven't noticed, I'm in full support of this project and Favreau. He put the project back on track where it needed to be. Cassavettes and co. were basically killing it.
Agreed but the boasts and cheerleads part was unneccesary. It inflates my opinions into hot air and nothing more.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #45
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne
I don't recall Maria Stark being latina. You mean to tell me only latinas can be named Maria?

Pretty much yeah.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #46
bengali
The new Thundercat Lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sava
what the hell is wrong with Dicaprio?...
I don't think he is that great an actor. and he does not have the Tony Stark look at all, grow the stache, dye the hair, but he would still look to young for the part of Tony Stark, that is why. DiCaprio seems like a real nice guy, just not right for that particular part, that is my personal opinion. but if it makes you feel better, i am not happy about Tom doing the part either. All in all big celebs want to have a voice and do things their way. if they can make it the way it is meant to be it will work better with a no name actor doing the roll, or an actor that is not nearly as big as the choices above!!!! My opinion!!!

bengali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:02 AM   #47
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Some very strange choices here. They can act and they'll need to as none of them make you shout Iron Man.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 AM   #48
jmao
Pot Head

is this serious, why are you guys still talking about this? lol

Old 05-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #49
Casius--J
Web Master

Nah this dont sound truthful to me, paramount shouldnt have any say in casting as they are only distrubuters. I thought the whole point of marvel doing their own films was so that they have full creative control.

I dont mind cruise that much i just would prefer a lesser known person who can become tony stark rather than a big name that requires a big sallary and shooting schedules to revolve around them.

Casius--J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #50
ReTrO JuNkIe 42
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicPowerMix1
Good choice there
thanks, glad you agree

You can't teach greatness, only inspire it
ReTrO JuNkIe 42 is offline   Reply With Quote