Fantastic Four; Rise of the Silver Surfer 23 53.49%
X-Men Origins: Wolverine 15 34.88%
Both are equal 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Default Fantastic Four ROTSS vs. XMO Wolverine

Both films have a similar RT score, so why not compare them?

They're both disappointing sequels to disappointing films- however, ROTSS is considered better than the first Fantastic Four film, while XMOW is considered worse than X3. They also are accused of ruining a villain in the third act of the film (Galactus and Deadpool).

So which turd stinks less?

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan

Default Re: Fantastic Four ROTSS vs. XMO Wolverine

Crap. I meant to vote the other way. FF at least had some entertainment value. It was terrible but not as bad as wolverine

random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Is Origins a sequel to X3? The Wolverine is more of a sequel to X3.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

FF2 has a fairly well-constructed plot and you can so tell they made an effort to translate the feeling of the comics. Reed the inventor. The FF as celebrities. Silly/fun science stuff like the powers swap. The Fantasticar. The portrayal of the Surfer, which is pretty faithful. I can certainly see the good intentions.

Wolverine is a bit more serious, so I'd say the stupidity pops out more. He and his brother fight in all the wars for no particular reason (aren't they Canadian? And they never once butted heads in those 100 plus years, but then all of a sudden they do?). He sees his gf's corpse, but doesn't even bother checking for wounds and apparently just leaves her there to get mangled by wildlife. They annihilated the mystique and mystery of the Weapon X program and his origin. The dumb logic of the adamantium bullet and amnesia. Etc, etc. It's just an embarrassment. I'd say FF2 gets closer to fulfilling its mission statement.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Loki882
Side-Kick

XMOW. That at least had good performances by Jackman, Schreiber, and Reynolds (for the ten minutes or so that he was onscreen). And it really only crapped on Wolverine and Deadpool's characters.

ROTSS is more disappointing than the first one because they had a coherent story and awesome source material to draw on, and they still managed to mess it up. Also, the first one crapped on Sue and Doom's characters. ROTSS crapped on Doom, Sue's, Silver Surfer, AND Galactus. The latter two's portrayals alone make it worse than Origins.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

FF2. XMO is probably up there with Green Lantern as the worst films this genre has to offer.
The fantastic four films were without a doubt bad, but there were some elements here and there that I found admirable (Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis were good in their respective roles, I thought the guy that played Reed did alright, I enjoyed the Silver Surfer's special effects, etc). XMO had pretty much nothing going for it.

Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
T"Challa
Side-Kick

XMO..simply because i love Hugh Jackman so much. And the guy did his best..lol. you could literally see him trying to save that movie by his damn self. Didnt work out though. Movie was trash but it had good moments and some good performances.

FF2 was just bad and lifeless. They did a decent job with Silver Surfer though

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
def28
Side-Kick

ROTSS. That chase scene between Surfer and Johnny was better then anything in Origins. And if there's one thing worse then Cloud Galactus it's Barakapool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
Wolverine is a bit more serious, so I'd say the stupidity pops out more. He and his brother fight in all the wars for no particular reason (aren't they Canadian? And they never once butted heads in those 100 plus years, but then all of a sudden they do?). He sees his gf's corpse, but doesn't even bother checking for wounds and apparently just leaves her there to get mangled by wildlife. They annihilated the mystique and mystery of the Weapon X program and his origin. The dumb logic of the adamantium bullet and amnesia. Etc, etc. It's just an embarrassment. I'd say FF2 gets closer to fulfilling its mission statement.
Agreed.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

FF2. At least the Silver Surfer looked cool and they did him abilities decently. I can't think of any real positive thing to say about XO:W. I think it's the lowest point of any Marvel movie since AngHulk. It's hard to believe it was made as late as 2009.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
def28
Side-Kick

Best things about Origins imo were the cast and intro credits.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Guard82
Side-Kick

I like FF2 more because I felt that there were more fun character moments, and because the Silver Surfer was quite cool. The story and the general adventure theme of FF2 were more enjoyable for me.

Guard82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Both these movies are miserable pieces of garbage. But, I GUESS that FF2 is slightly better...SLIGHTLY

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
schereZada
Side-Kick

Hi everyone.

Tough choice since both are so so very bad.

I vote equal.

schereZada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Both were among the most monumental disappointments in CBM history (right there wit Hulk and Blade Trinity). But the edge goes to XMOW simply because of the few great acting performances in the movie.

And that edge is razor thin. I'm talking ratings of 0.5 vs 0.6 out of 10.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #15
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

They are pretty close, but I picked Origins. At least it has a great lead in Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and a great villain in Liev Schrieber's Sabretooth. I did like Chris Evans and the Silver Surfer, but a crappy Deadpool (although he was good in his brief earlier appearance) doesn't tank the film nearly as much as the terrible Galactus does. And Stryker was better than Doom, so there's that too.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Just with this piece of dialogue, X-Men: Wolverine Origins is the worst X-Men and bottom tier worst CBMs ever.

Adamantium's bullets. Let's see him heal with the few of these through his sick skull.

You can't stop him. Even with that. He'll heal.

His brain may heal. But his memories won't grow back.

x 1,000

Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Easy descision. FF2 was better, because at least they were trying to improve on the first one, the SS characterization was spot on, the fun of the comics was there.

XM:W was just a mess with no redeeming qualities.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Ohhhh I like this thread. This is a really tough debate because both movies were awful. However, I have to give the edge to F4. The Silver Surfer is my favorite Marvel character, and while the rest of the movie sucked, I thought the Surfer himself was okay. They didn't really screw him up, other than the whole "his power comes from the board" thing, and even that didn't bother me. Galactcloud was lame, Dr. Doom somehow was WORSE than he was in the first movie, Jessica Alba lost even more acting ability in the film, and seeing Reed go stretch clubbing was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen in a superhero film. Chris Evans was pretty good though.

I didn't like anything about Wolverine. And I typically love Jackman as Logan. But that movie was awful.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #19
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

FF: ROTS on almost every level.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #20
Drizzle
Yo Soy Groot.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is way worse. FF:ROTSS isn't good, but it has some redeeming factors. It's the better of the two Fantastic Four movies, even though that isn't saying much. Still, I'll take cloud Galactus over a mute Deadpool any day.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Seriously. Of all the things they could have done to Deadpool, they made him mouthless. I'd love to have been in the room with the writers when they came up with that idea.

Writer #1: So, for the final battle, we have Wolvie fight Deadpool.

Writer #2: Who is he again?

Writer #1: The mercenary guy from earlier in the film. Only now, he'll be a much more formidable foe, with optic blasts, giant swords that come out of his hands and Wolverine's invulnerability.

Writer #2: Okay, cool. But it needs something else... I don't know. What else is special about Deadpool? What's his thing, ya know?

Writer #1: Well, he's known as the "merc with a mouth" in the comics because he's a smartass.

Writer #2: Huh. That's fine, but just giving him one liners isn't going to be very eye-popping, now is it? He's the final boss, ya know? Think of it like a video game. He has to be superpowerful, but he's also gotta look like a monster. Hmmm. Merc with a mouth, you say, huh? Wait, I've got something... what if we turn that idea on its head? What if, in a nod to the comics, we make him the merc WITHOUT a mouth?

Writer #1: I'm sorry, what?

Writer #2: What if we have Stryker surgically REMOVE his mouth entirely, so he CAN'T make cheesy one-liners?

Writer #1: Well, the dialogue we wrote for this thing hasn't been particularly strong but...

Writer #2: That's it. It's brilliant! The casual viewers will be amazed and freaked out by this guy with no mouth, and the hardcore fans will appreciate it because when they see that he's the merc WITHOUT a mouth, they'll know that it's a nod to him being the merc WITH a mouth. Plus, he already was the merc with a mouth earlier in the film, so they'll get the merc WITH a mouth and the merc WITHOUT a mouth, all in one movie! The fans will eat it up! I'm a genius.

Writer #1: Yeah... maybe we should brainstorm a little more...

Writer #2: Awww, come on. It's karaoke night at the O'Malley's.

Writer #1: Eh, f*** it, merc without a mouth it is. Let's get the hell out of here.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #22
Loki882
Side-Kick

Nope sorry guys. What ROTSS did with Galactus ALONE makes it worse than XMOW. Then you throw Dr. Doom into the mix, and Silver Surfer, ugh.

Terrible Galactus/Doom>>>>>>>>>>>>>terrible Deadpool.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #23
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Nope sorry guys. What ROTSS did with Galactus ALONE makes it worse than XMOW. Then you throw Dr. Doom into the mix, and Silver Surfer, ugh.

Oddly, I never cared much about Galactus (always thought he was a ridiculous character who I never saw as anything more than a plot device to pave the way for the Silver Surfer) but it is unforgivable what they did to Doom. Still, I think Wolverine is a worse movie overall.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #24
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post

They are all terrible but Doom still looked like Doom and Galactus is something more difficult to pull off in live aciton so I can at least kind of see why studios at the time would be sketchy on that. Deadpool was a much bigger slap in the face and came off way more idiotic with the choices made. It aint that hard or expensive to get Deadpool right visually, power wise or with Reynolds in the role. They actually worked hard to mess him up that much and make sure he wouldn't be like the comic.

Giving him friggen laser eyes, katanas in his arms that somehow allowed him to bend his elbows, being controlled via a commodore 64 computer, no suit and sewning his mouth shut is just ridiculous. They ****ed him up in every way they could. It's beyond dumb, makes no sense and literally took away any chance for the character to be redeemed through Reynolds acting since he couldn't speak. Not to mention the intention was to kill him there as well.

At least F42 knew it was a goofy fun flick with stupid humor. XMOW didn't, which makes it all the more terrible when it's trying to pull off all the ridiculous action scenes, dialogue and horrible plot twists seriously.

Last edited by def28; 12-02-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #25
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I actually like both Fantastic Four movies but X-Men Origins: Wolverine is dreadful, easily FF: ROTSS.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 12-02-2014 at 05:13 PM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote