The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #401
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Namor the Sub-Mariner

He's a good actor and would do really well in the role.

Would be quite amazing to see the movie transpire. Has there been many movies set underwater? (aside from animated and inside underwater bubbles/cities) i can't think of any.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #402
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
He's a good actor and would do really well in the role.

Would be quite amazing to see the movie transpire. Has there been many movies set underwater? (aside from animated and inside underwater bubbles/cities) i can't think of any.
There have been those movies like Hunt For Red October and U571 that take place in Submarines. Not sure if those count.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #403
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

What, nobody remembers The Abyss?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096754/?ref_=nv_sr_1

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #404
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Bring it on Universal.

If not i'd like to see Fox buy him so he can be incorporated into the XCU or F4 sequels
Its highly unlikely Fox *could* buy it from Universal. The rights almost certainly cannot be transferred. I suppose Fox could "borrow" him from Universal, with the understanding that this doesn't transfer who owns the license, but even that I'm kind of dubious of. The only prior precedent is Kingpin, and Kingpin was part of a larger license that made questions of "Does this count as a reset on the timer?" moot.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #405
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
They willingly gave up the Hulk, who is a household name, and has far more potential than Namor. They could've hung onto the rights to him if they wanted, but they didn't.
OTOH, it does beg the question why they gave up Hulk willingly, yet held onto the vastly less valuable Namor. Hence why, until it was confirmed otherwise by Feige, I always assumed they gave up Namor at the same time.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #406
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I am offended highly if Universal is holding Namor hostage simply for orneriness. Surely at this point the option time frame has run out to actually put a film into active production? Isn't that what happened with Daredevil? Sub-Mariner's been tied up at Universal since what, the late 80s? Come on...

Hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #407
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

The way I see it MCU will be willing to purchase the rights back, for a moderate price, if ever they really have a script that awes them.

As is, if they got them tomorrow there is no garantie we'd get anything in the next 10 years anyways.

Gr0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #408
roach
I am the night

I like how we assume that these other studios that have the rights to characters are doing it for nefarious reasons

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #409
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Cs Funny Re: Namor the Sub-Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I like how we assume that these other studios that have the rights to characters are doing it for nefarious reasons
As if a Corporate Executive at Fox or Universal who makes 7 figures paces the halls of their mansion sleeplessly, wondering how they can best put the screws to "the geeks" who want to see Hugh Jackman and Robert Downey Jr share the screen.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #410
roach
I am the night

Douchey Fox Exec: "I really hate Marvel...we need a way to stick it to them."
Another Douchey Exec:" They told us they were going to use Quicksilver...lets use him too."
Douchey Universal Exec: "Hahahahaha You guys hate them too...we are holding onto Namor so they can't use him...hahahaha."
Douchey Son Exec: "You all hate Marvel...we hate them too...we keep making Spider-man films so they can't get the rights back."

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #411
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Douchey Fox Exec: "I really hate Marvel...we need a way to stick it to them."
Another Douchey Exec:" They told us they were going to use Quicksilver...lets use him too."
Douchey Universal Exec: "Hahahahaha You guys hate them too...we are holding onto Namor so they can't use him...hahahaha."
Douchey Son Exec: "You all hate Marvel...we hate them too...we keep making Spider-man films so they can't get the rights back."
It's a business, and it's in those corporation's best interest to hold onto the rights as long as they can.

It speaks to the depth of Marvel Comics that their characters are currently the breadwinners for3 different big six studios.

Last edited by KangConquers; 01-04-2014 at 10:37 PM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #412
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
It's a business, and it's in those corporation's best interest to hold onto the rights as long as they can.

It speaks to the depth of Marvel Comics that their characters are currently the breadwinners for3 different big six studios.
I agree...I just don't see it as an animosity thing but as these other studios making these movies and Marvel profiting from spending very little money.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #413
metaphysician
Side-Kick

The only one I think is actually motivated by malicious, or at least questionable, motives is Fox, with regard to the Fantastic Four rights. I doubt Universal is doing anything evil; its probably some weird contract loophole or oversight in negotiations or such.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #414
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Zachary Quinto as Namor!!!!

...or as Northstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #415
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I hope Quinto is Namor. Even if he had never been cast as Spock or wore pointy ears, I'd still think he would be a great choice for the role. It's more his performance as Sylar than Spock which makes me think of Namor.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #416
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The only one I think is actually motivated by malicious, or at least questionable, motives is Fox, with regard to the Fantastic Four rights. I doubt Universal is doing anything evil; its probably some weird contract loophole or oversight in negotiations or such.
I think that fear is a primary motivator in regards to the FF rights. Though a pricey reboot of the awful Story films doesn't appear to make a whole of sense economically, what happens if Marvel gets ahold of the rights? Can they make the First Family a profitable franchise? And if so, do studio execs at FOX find themselves out of work for indirectly increasing Marvel's dominant position in the superhero cinematic universe arms race?

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #417
roach
I am the night

Quote:
such as....

Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #418
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I think that fear is a primary motivator in regards to the FF rights. Though a pricey reboot of the awful Story films doesn't appear to make a whole of sense economically, what happens if Marvel gets ahold of the rights? Can they make the First Family a profitable franchise? And if so, do studio execs at FOX find themselves out of work for indirectly increasing Marvel's dominant position in the superhero cinematic universe arms race?
Good point. Of course, its a "damned if you do" scenario, as they likely risk their jobs if they make a FF reboot and its a clunker. Which is another reason for them to hope for a check from Marvel: at least then, they could go to their superiors/the board and say "Well, yes, Marvel made another big movie. . . but hey, I got our company a giant check with no strings attached!"

Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #419
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
such as....
"I don't want the license. I don't want to make a movie. However, I know *you* want it, because you *do* want to use it. . . and I'm not going to let you have it, not unless you bribe me."

Ethically, its indistinguishable from patent trolling.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #420
cph9fa
Side-Kick

The map at the end of IM2 showed a point of interest in the Atlantic (along with Wakanda in Africa).

But, if Marvel can't use Namor & the Atlanteans, what about locating Attilan and the Inhumans underwater in place of Atlantis? I don't know much about Inhumans, but I understand their city has moved around from time to time to stay hidden. What better place to hide a city than underwater?

Edit: Apparently Attilan actually began on an Atlantic island, and was named after Atlantis? So maybe that's not a far-fetched idea.

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #421
roach
I am the night

Quote:
"I don't want the license. I don't want to make a movie. However, I know *you* want it, because you *do* want to use it. . . and I'm not going to let you have it, not unless you bribe me."

Ethically, its indistinguishable from patent trolling.
Which is what you assume is happening.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #422
metaphysician
Side-Kick

With good evidence, given Fox's behavior.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #423
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #424
SuperSonics
Side-Kick

imo Karl Urban could pull off a pretty decent Namor!

SuperSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #425
roach
I am the night

Quote:
such as...