The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #426
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Namor the Sub-Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonics View Post
imo Karl Urban could pull off a pretty decent Namor!
He seems a little too heroic. It needs someone who is more arrogant and anti-hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmarrs View Post

I personally thought Quinto when he was Sylar looked more like Namor than when he was Spock, even though he had the pointy ears and slanted eyebrows. Sylar hair with Spock ears and eyebrows would give you the perfect Namor.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #427
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

At the risk of being accused of suggesting a 'flavour of the month actor', im going to suggest Benedict Cumberbach (id like to clarify that ive loved this guy for years since i saw him as Stephen Hawking, so im not just jumping on the bandwagon). The fella just NEEDS to be in a Marvel movie and the thing about BC is that he's actually a good fit for a number of roles, both hero and villain, such as Dr Strange, Doom etc. id never really thought about Namor before now, but the more i think of it the more it fits.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #428
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

I hope Marvel/Disney gets the rights back to Namor soon. I would love to see him and Atlantis in the MCU. As for he should be played by. My vote would go to the Rock.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #429
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
I hope Marvel/Disney gets the rights back to Namor soon. I would love to see him and Atlantis in the MCU. As for he should be played by. My vote would go to the Rock.
The Rock would have to seriously slim down. He doesn't look like a swimmer at all. You wouldn't have that kind of physique if you spend all your time in the water doing all the swimming movements.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #430
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
At the risk of being accused of suggesting a 'flavour of the month actor', im going to suggest Benedict Cumberbach (id like to clarify that ive loved this guy for years since i saw him as Stephen Hawking, so im not just jumping on the bandwagon). The fella just NEEDS to be in a Marvel movie and the thing about BC is that he's actually a good fit for a number of roles, both hero and villain, such as Dr Strange, Doom etc. id never really thought about Namor before now, but the more i think of it the more it fits.
There's actually a rumor that he might *be* in a Marvel movie. Or rather, that 1) He's dropped out of Star Wars VII; 2) He's been seen talking with Marvel Studios.

*If* its true ( salt, grains, etc ), I could see Dr Strange being a possible role. It makes me sad, since in a perfect world he'd be playing Dr Doom, but this isn't that world.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #431
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

hopefully Disney will play hardball with Universal and get the rights back to Sub-Mariner ASAP-- divorced from the majority of the Marvel Universe, Namor's a sketchy choice to pick to anchor a franchise all on his own with only Sub-Mariner-comics-based characters to choose from.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #432
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

So if Namor did ever get made, what kind of suit should he wear? Speedo briefs? Aqua Shorts? Jammers? Or a skin-tight bodysuit? I don't think he should ever wear board shorts unless he wants to look like a surfer dude.

Jammers would look too much like cyclist shorts. I can't see why he would wear those. Either he would wear a full body suit, briefs or aqua shorts. But competitive swimmers wear briefs.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #433
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

Namor will definitely be a anti hero in phase iv or v. His motivation will be as King of the Earth (70% water) what the surface dwellers doing to the planet will be motivation for a Avengers 4 or 5: Atlantis Attacks

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 PM   #434
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick

Can't wait to see the showdown between Black Panther and Namor. If MS only have the rights to x-men now, the phoenix force would be a great integral part on to that...flooding out wakanda with the phoenix force. That will be a WAR!

The.Brotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #435
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

X-Men vs Avengers would be a great movie. But idk about the Phoenix Force aspect because of immense power levels. But that was cool story recently bought the trade paperback

Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #436
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMinesMarvel View Post
Namor will definitely be a anti hero in phase iv or v. His motivation will be as King of the Earth (70% water) what the surface dwellers doing to the planet will be motivation for a Avengers 4 or 5: Atlantis Attacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Brotherhood View Post
Can't wait to see the showdown between Black Panther and Namor. If MS only have the rights to x-men now, the phoenix force would be a great integral part on to that...flooding out wakanda with the phoenix force. That will be a WAR!
You know that Namor is with Universal, right? So until Marvel gets him back, there's nothing that's going to happen with his character. All our conversations are just wish fulfilment. As long as you know that, then carry on.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #437
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
You know that Namor is with Universal, right? So until Marvel gets him back, there's nothing that's going to happen with his character. All our conversations are just wish fulfilment. As long as you know that, then carry on.

I STRONGLY believe that the rights will revert back to MS before Avengers 3, because how long has it been since Namor was develop for a film adaptation by Universal since the acquisition, 7-8 years? and Universal have their hands full on developing their 'Monsters-verse' (i.e. The Mummy, Wolfman, Dracula, etc.), they could also have an agreement with MS just like with TIH. Heck maybe they're signing these contracts as I am typing this statement.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #438
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

Thats why I said Avengers 4 or 5 by that time Prince Namor will be back in the MCU

Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #439
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMinesMarvel View Post
Thats why I said Avengers 4 or 5 by that time Prince Namor will be back in the MCU

I just want to see Black Panther vs Namor. If only MS have the rights to X-men, Namor with the Phoenix Force flooding out Wakanda will be a sight to behold.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #440
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

There are events that cant be told that should be. Like Black Panther marrying Storm could've been what brungs Xmen & Avengers together.

I honestly dont even want Namor as a Hero. He'd be the coolest villian with powerset and army. Atlantis vs Wakanda would be cool.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #441
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

What is the lease given to Universal for Namor, anyway? I thought the movie rights should've reverted back to Marvel by now.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #442
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
What is the lease given to Universal for Namor, anyway? I thought the movie rights should've reverted back to Marvel by now.
each contract is different...there's no telling how long Namor is at Universal

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #443
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

What could Universal possibly want with Namor? They have no use for him. Give him back to Marvel where he belongs.

I think a Namor movie could do fairly well, a bit like a Thor movie. It would have mythical elements, and the ladies would obviously like it as he'd have his chest out a lot or spend much of the time in Speedos. He'd also be an anti-hero, meaning that he'd get to be a bit of a jerk, which audiences seem to like.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #444
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I think Namor is a great property, and Namor is a mufti-faceted character that could work both as a villain and as a hero with a major trilogy of his own. I hope Marvel Studios gets him back soon.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #445
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

If Marvel had Namor and they made a successful movie out of him, and then they somehow reacquired the rights to Fantastic Four, they could do a completely back to front introduction to how people might've expected it to go down. You'd think they might use FF to introduce Namor, but what if Namor were the successful property and was used to relaunch Fantastic Four instead?

Unfortunately, it's all just dreaming at the moment until some rights come back.

I don't think there have been any proper underwater/ water-based movies made recently. People only think of Waterworld, which would be completely different.

Anyone remember that rumour about 10 years ago or more when Matt Damon's name was bandied about for the part?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #446
Destructus86
Side-Kick

But is Namor really worth all the effort to get back to make a movie? I mean...it's a water dude...and honestly, water dudes are not all that interesting.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #447
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
But is Namor really worth all the effort to get back to make a movie? I mean...it's a water dude...and honestly, water dudes are not all that interesting.
Just like... how interesting can Ant-Man be?

Or was anyone clamouring for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie before?

And what effort are you talking about? I didn't see there was much, if any effort involved when Sony gave Marvel back the Ghost Rider rights.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #448
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
If Marvel had Namor and they made a successful movie out of him, and then they somehow reacquired the rights to Fantastic Four, they could do a completely back to front introduction to how people might've expected it to go down. You'd think they might use FF to introduce Namor, but what if Namor were the successful property and was used to relaunch Fantastic Four instead?

Unfortunately, it's all just dreaming at the moment until some rights come back.

I don't think there have been any proper underwater/ water-based movies made recently. People only think of Waterworld, which would be completely different.

Anyone remember that rumour about 10 years ago or more when Matt Damon's name was bandied about for the part?
I think there's a reason for that. Shooting with lots of water is a next-level pain in the tuckuss. In fact, doing anything with lots of water, whether videogames or anything like that almost always sucks. The only people who've done is justice that I can recall are Pixar, and they can kinda do anything between unsurpassed storytelling skills and any visual being possible (and affordable!) with cartoon CGI.

You've got narrative issues, what does this underwater world look like, act like? Is it super dark down there like it is in real life, or not? Do we explain that? Do we throw underwater physics out, or try to write around them?

Then you've got technical issues of actually shooting under water being a challenge. Can you do cool underwater action? How does the camera move? How does the character move?

Or do you just try and do as little underwater as you can? Don't really do anything with Atlantis, maybe just a scene there and spend the rest of the time with the King of Atlantis outside of Atlantis?

It's a mess.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #449
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
He seems a little too heroic. It needs someone who is more arrogant and anti-hero.
Karl Urban, who couldn't even hope to play a good guy until 2009?

No disrespect to Quinto, but I don't see him getting in speedo shape here.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #450
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I'd say Namor is a top three Marvel character who doesn't have a movie yet, on equal footing with Doctor Strange and Black Panther.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote