The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Default The Art of Civility Revisited

I don't open many threads, only if I have some news about Superman Returns that I know hasn't been posted. You also may notice I pretty much stay in the Superman area of the boards, especially Superman Returns. So I know almost all of the posters that frequent this area of the boards and I have seen the good, bad, and the ugly.

I know C. Lee opened a similar thread and it was closed because things had gotten out of hand. I would like to give it another shot, and if I am out of line then the MODS are free to close it. I am betting that we can come in here and vent and hash out arguments by discussing them open and honestly. How can this area of the boards improve and how can we do it together? This isn't a thread to start arguments but talk about improving as posters.

I believe if we use this thread to our advantage then it will serve a purpose and to get a better understanding of who we are as posters and how we can improve so we can at least be civil to each other when disscussing the differing opions.

"There will be peace. There will be peace when the people of the boards, want it so badly, that the MODS will have no choice but to give it to them. I just wish you could all see The Hype the way that I see it. Because when you really look at it, it's just one forum."

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Art of Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029
I don't open many threads, only if I have some news about Superman Returns that I know hasn't been posted. You also may notice I pretty much stay in the Superman area of the boards, especially Superman Returns. So I know almost all of the posters that frequent this area of the boards and I have seen the good, bad, and the ugly.

I know C. Lee opened a similar thread and it was closed because things had gotten out of hand. I would like to give it another shot, and if I am out of line then the MODS are free to close it. I am betting that we can come in here and vent and hash out arguments by discussing them open and honestly. How can this area of the boards improve and how can we do it together? This isn't a thread to start arguments but talk about improving as posters.

I believe if we use this thread to our advantage then it will serve a purpose and to get a better understanding of who we are as posters and how we can improve so we can at least be civil to each other when disscussing the differing opions.

"There will be peace. There will be peace when the people of the boards, want it so badly, that the MODS will have no choice but to give it to them. I just wish you could all see The Hype the way that I see it. Because when you really look at it, it's just one forum."
Good post. I agree with you fully. I just hope everyone else feels the same way.

Your effort to make this a better place for everyone is commendable.

I salute you.

member of gods among men
M.E.H.Z.E.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
TrailerMusic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.H.Z.E.B
Good post. I agree with you fully. I just hope everyone else feels the same way.

Your effort to make this a better place for everyone is commendable.

I salute you.
I think he stole that from C.Lees thread but good points either way

TrailerMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerMusic
Stealing isn't the proper word. More like borrowing

member of gods among men
Old 06-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Stole what, I didn't steal anything form C. Lee's thread but I borrowed the idea.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

ingenius, take that in whatever way you want

Old 06-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Stole what, I didn't borrow anything form C. Lee's thread but the idea.
It doesn't matter Showtime. You had the intelligence and decency to post this for everyone here. Thank you for taking the initative

member of gods among men
Old 06-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
Cinemaman
Side-Kick

Quote:

You da Man!

Best thread about posters

Old 06-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

as much as i would love for this thread to work i just don't see that happening. as long as there are opinions there will be conflict, but.....best of luck to this thread.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #10
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh
as much as i would love for this thread to work i just don't see that happening. as long as there are opinions there will be conflict, but.....best of luck to this thread.
It will work if the posters want it to work. If not, it will turn into a shooting gallery, I am prepared either way. I am not expecting a schmoozfest but I thought that it would open up things for discussion. Who knows, we might all learn something.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

well showtime...if there's anyone here that can inspire people to discuss Superman while being civil and fair, it's you. i hope the thread will work because i'd love to be able to calmly discuss the ups and downs of Superman for once.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
Captain Villa
Side-Kick

I particulary don't want it too.

There are too many people and wannabee mods here that start the crap and act all angelic afterwards.

Leave the modding to the mods and report post button.

Showtime is ace.
Captain Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
well showtime...if there's anyone here that can inspire people to discuss Superman while being civil and fair, it's you. i hope the thread will work because i'd love to be able to calmly discuss the ups and downs of Superman for once.
I am not trying to preach or say that I am a model poster, because I am not. I am hoping we can hash out differences and realize it shouldn't have such an effect on us going forward.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #14
TrailerMusic
Banned User

Quote:
It will work if the posters want it to work. If not, it will turn into a shooting gallery, I am prepared either way. I am not expecting a schmoozfest but I thought that it would open up things for discussion. Who knows, we might all learn something.
It did not work when a Mod tried it. it wont work now

Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
It did not work when a Mod tried it. it wont work now
Actually it did work for awhile. It took on a different form than he intended but it was a nice little thread.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #16
TrailerMusic
Banned User

Quote:
Actually it did work for awhile. It took on a different form than he intended but it was a nice little thread.
But we all know how these types of Threads end up

Old 06-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #17
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
But we all know how these types of Threads end up
Depends whose posting in them and what they are posting. We'll see I guess.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

lol...you guys are quoting each other even though you're posting right after each other.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Villa
I particulary don't want it too.

There are too many people and wannabee mods here that start the crap and act all angelic afterwards.

Leave the modding to the mods and report post button.
The Capt. has spoken!

... as if it matters.

member of gods among men
Old 06-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #20
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
lol...you guys are quoting each other even though you're posting right after each other.
Sometimes it's better like that. I love to just post my reply right after the post itself, but sometimes you run into issues. Somebody posts in between or what not. It happens.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #21
Steelsheen
Iconic

good thread Showtime.

now if you can get the extremists on both camps to look at this and agree then they should make you mediator in the Middle East .

the only suggestion i can make to keep things civil (and i hope the Mods wont take this the wrong way because i mean well here) is to have more interactions with the Mods, not just seeing them when things get out of hand or when they start editing posts or deleting threads, but to actually interact with the members of the forum. it actually helps when members read how Mods think or feell about one topic or another. after all the best way to lead is by example innit?

Mods, please dont get me wrong, you all are doing a good job so far. i'm just basing my suggestion on my experience when i handled a popular forum like this one, so the problems are all too familiar. Nevertheless keep up the good work

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #22
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.H.Z.E.B
The Capt. has spoken!

... as if it matters.
He's got a point about the report post button though. I actually have never used it myself but it is handy instead of getting into a flaming contest with somebody.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #23
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Sometimes it's better like that. I love to just post my reply right after the post itself, but sometimes you run into issues. Somebody posts in between or what not. It happens.
i know...not everyone can have the uncanny posting skills that i posses. j/m

Old 06-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #24
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen
good thread Showtime.

now if you can get the extremists on both camps to look at this and agree then they should make you mediator in the Middle East .

the only suggestion i can make to keep things civil (and i hope the Mods wont take this the wrong way because i mean well here) is to have more interactions with the Mods, not just seeing them when things get out of hand or when they start editing posts or deleting threads, but to actually interact with the members of the forum. it actually helps when members read how Mods think or feell about one topic or another. after all the best way to lead is by example innit?

[szie=1]Mods, please dont get me wrong, you all are doing a good job so far. i'm just basing my suggestion on my experience when i handled a popular forum like this one, so the problems are all too familiar. Nevertheless keep up the good work [/size]
My favorite is when a Mod just makes an appearance in the thread. They haven't addressed the issue that is brewing, but they just pop in and respond to somebody to get it back on topic. I like that style, usually the thread gets on course without a hitch, I called it, "The Hit and Run Method".

Old 06-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #25
M.E.H.Z.E.B
Banned Usèr
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
He's got a point about the report post button though. I actually have never used it myself but it is handy instead of getting into a flaming contest with somebody.
I just used it to inform the mods about The Official Green Lantern Casting Thread. It's been deleted, btw. So, the report post button actually works.

member of gods among men