The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #76
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,051
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Okay sure every superhero movie franchise before now has stumbled by 3. Superman III was ****, Batman Forever was mediocre and X-Men 3 was the biggest let down in a superhero movie for years (mainly because Fantastic Four was pre-destined to suck since pre-production while X3 had a marvelous set up from X2 wasted).

But they all had one thing in common....a change of the talent behind the camera (and in some cases in front too). Richard Donner had nothing to do with SIII and it showed, Schumaucher is no Burton and it is safe to say Ratner is a mediocre director at best and followed Bryan Singer with only a few months of prep-time before production (and no script).

Sam Raimi has been putting this movie together in his head since the beginning of 2005. He wrote a draft with his brother and rewrote it with Venom and the dark suit. He worked closely into how Sargent planned this and has spent his time carefully making this movie and left himself enough time to get reshoots and has spaced himself enough to work on the SFX very long.

In short he is doing what he did with SM2 but only more deliberate. At the very least this hsould be a good movie (even if some bad ideas may be in it, like Spider-Man Celebration Day or sympathetic Sandman) and should do a good job of concluding its story arcs unlike the other franchises have done now.

DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #77
Fran
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30,130
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

SM3 will break this curse, because most of the crew (except for John Dykstra) are back, and will make sure it is amazing.

Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #78
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger
 
Spider-ManHero12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 47,233
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerfran
SM3 will break this curse, because most of the crew (except for John Dykstra) are back, and will make sure it is amazing.
i agree 110%.

Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #79
Fran
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30,130
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Gvcool2 made a great thread.

Well done, sir.


Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #80
James"007"Bond
Banned User
 
James"007"Bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Indeed there are many movie franchises that flop on its 3rd outing but at the same time there are a couple that follow a better route. LOTR being a recent and obvious example. The HP movies too, heck, the first 3 Bond movies owned.
My point is that despite the concerns it isn't an impossible task to not fall victim to the 3rd movie curse. I however, am not too impressed with the current spidey movies but am hoping sm3, which looks great by the way actually delivers this time.

James"007"Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #81
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back
 
ultimatefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Place that makes Gotham look like Kansas - Brazil
Posts: 38,117
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Itīs the fanboy nature to worry, often for no reason. It comes in the DNA.

__________________
AVVY BY KANE 52630

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #82
The Kid
AMERICA FTW
 
The Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bronx
Posts: 12,766
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

What are we going to do about it?

__________________
Superman Returns is better than the Dark Knight

Last edited by The Kid; 09-03-2006 at 09:34 AM.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #83
James"007"Bond
Banned User
 
James"007"Bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

true true.

James"007"Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #84
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick
 
lordofthenerds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,950
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

I have no worries over 3, the people that say they fear it only want to start a debate.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #85
The Kid
AMERICA FTW
 
The Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bronx
Posts: 12,766
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Lol what's to fear when judging by the last two films, you should know what to expect by now.

A few crappy cgi shots throughout.

Some cheesy pedestrians who can't act popping in to say something cheesy to add sam raimi's b-movie flavor to the mix.

A cool cameo by The King, Bruce Campbell.

The villain still having some good nature within them

Spidey hardly wise-cracking.

Some music video scene with tobey.

Chocolate cake.

And perhaps second or two of betty brant, elizabeth banks getting shafted again.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

Thank god for Nolan

__________________
Superman Returns is better than the Dark Knight

Last edited by The Kid; 09-03-2006 at 10:33 AM.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #86
gvcool2
Banned User
 
gvcool2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: England
Posts: 4,122
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerfran
Gvcool2 made a great thread.

Well done, sir.

thanks dude, its one of the only threads that I can think of that hasn't veered of course yet, and still has decent discussion points good job people

gvcool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #87
Naite22
Side-Kick
 
Naite22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,760
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

It has become so GOD DAMN trendy to make trilogies, and the fun part about it is, that so many of these so called trilogies AREN'T REAL TRILOGIES! It just sounds cool, but it has nothing to do with a trilogy! Indiana Jones is NOT a trilogy, X-Men is NOT a trilogy, spider-man 3 is NOT the concluding chapter of a trilogy either! Lord of the rings is a trilogy, Back to the future is a trilogy, Star wars episode 1-2-3 is a trilogy, and so is episode 4-5-6... It all comes back to the begining in those films, that's what makes a trilogy.

PS: Matrix is not a "real trilogy" either... Matrix 1 was never ment to have follow-ups... They never emagined the first film to have the success it had/has... So, because of the dollar signs AND the "trendyness" of today, they made 2 stupid sequels and called it a trilogy! Get it?


Last edited by Naite22; 09-03-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Naite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #88
Carnotaur3
Side-Kick
 
Carnotaur3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,927
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

The problem with bringing up Batman Forever and Batman & Robin is that their villians had nothing to do. They had no real purpose to the story or the lives of Bruce Wayne/Batman, aside from Harvey Dent with Robin.

Raimi has carefully weaved a story in which the villians serve it and bring something great to the table. Notice how Raimi has a backstory with Sandman apparently being involved with killing Ben Parker. Fan boys will complain of course, but had nothing been done with Sandman for that this would be what people would say on opening day: "What was the point on Sandman. I didn't get it. Just should have been Venom."

We all know Venom and the symbiote's importance to the story, and the fact that Harry tries to take vengence and then in the end decides to help Peter/Spider-Man finishes the character arc, and does something surprising and unpredictible. That's an interesting and complex story structure if you ask me. Raimi knew, if he kept Spidey 1 and 2 more personal, then 3 he could really hit the ground running because it is the climax of this one big movie.

Carnotaur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #89
Fran
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30,130
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan
Itīs the fanboy nature to worry, often for no reason. It comes in the DNA.
LOL.

Too true, ultimatefan.

Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #90
Murder
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a Dumpster
Posts: 277
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3
The problem with bringing up Batman Forever and Batman & Robin is that their villians had nothing to do. They had no real purpose to the story or the lives of Bruce Wayne/Batman, aside from Harvey Dent with Robin.

Raimi has carefully weaved a story in which the villians serve it and bring something great to the table. Notice how Raimi has a backstory with Sandman apparently being involved with killing Ben Parker. Fan boys will complain of course, but had nothing been done with Sandman for that this would be what people would say on opening day: "What was the point on Sandman. I didn't get it. Just should have been Venom."

We all know Venom and the symbiote's importance to the story, and the fact that Harry tries to take vengence and then in the end decides to help Peter/Spider-Man finishes the character arc, and does something surprising and unpredictible. That's an interesting and complex story structure if you ask me. Raimi knew, if he kept Spidey 1 and 2 more personal, then 3 he could really hit the ground running because it is the climax of this one big movie.
I'm very comfortable with this movie, like previous posters said, because the whole internal crew is coming back to do it. I loved Brett Ratner's Red Dragon but, I think he just got thrown into X3 without all the prepwork that Raimi's crew will have for SM3. Even though I don't agree with some of Raimi's ideas I am pleased that he got to do all 3 and complete his vision. It will give the one complete movie feel. Cheers!!!

__________________
SM1- 8.5/ 10
SM2- 9.5/ 10
SM3- 7.0/ 10

Every one of my friends loved SM3. Maybe it's because they are not hardcore comic nerds like us.
Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #91
The Man Of 16
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 595
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

"Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse?"

Because no ones seen the comic con footage. I just saw it and my heart started racing. Me and Raimi are on the same page. I always had visions of what I would do with the series and how to make people really pay attention to the trailers. One good thing about it is the opera in the background when it starts screaming and they keep screaming for a long time. and then its cut off by the sound of someone actually screaming. Talk about intense and Im so purchasing my tickets in advance.

I almost feel like crying. So many things running through my head right now


Last edited by The Man Of 16; 09-03-2006 at 04:52 PM.
The Man Of 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #92
Fran
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30,130
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvcool2
thanks dude, its one of the only threads that I can think of that hasn't veered of course yet, and still has decent discussion points good job people
No problemo, man.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, right?

Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #93
dodus
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 648
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe
Sam Raimi has been putting this movie together in his head since the beginning of 2005. He wrote a draft with his brother and rewrote it with Venom and the dark suit. He worked closely into how Sargent planned this and has spent his time carefully making this movie and left himself enough time to get reshoots and has spaced himself enough to work on the SFX very long.
Sweet post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man of 16
Because no ones seen the comic con footage. I just saw it and my heart started racing. Me and Raimi are on the same page. I always had visions of what I would do with the series and how to make people really pay attention to the trailers. One good thing about it is the opera in the background when it starts screaming and they keep screaming for a long time. and then its cut off by the sound of someone actually screaming. Talk about intense and Im so purchasing my tickets in advance.

I almost feel like crying. So many things running through my head right now.
Also sweet post!

Because Raimi is a really, really good director. Almost the kind of director who is too good to be helming a superhero franchise, but good for us because he is.

Isn't there also an unspoken rule that sequels in general are inferior? Sam Raimi bucked that trend, and the reason is because he was given more control to exert his directorial prowess and to work with his own creative people. The line graph is moving in the opposite direction with this franchise. All curses are off.

dodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #94
Visionary
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 16,080
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Wow, just look at all of you, thinking that you actually know what you're talking about.

Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #95
Solidus
Kylo Ren
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Dark Side
Posts: 17,671
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Though some do not relize why trilogies or even beyond have become a trendy thing. Of course money is a big part of it, but things like Spider-man, Harry Potter, ect. The thing is so many stories have been told a million times all ready it's hard to be fresh and good. Any more it seems that a person needs to make more then one film with the same characters to add even more depth to them.

To the person that said that these movies are not trilogies I see your point to a certain degree but disagree on the most part. You say LOTR is the only real trilogy actually if you know Tolkein never wanted these to even be three books told seperatley he wanted it to be one giant sitting. Trilogies in today's world I think are just contunations of the story of a certian character, not a all ready pre-determined story told in three parts.

I think that film lovers *including me* love to see where characters go as time goes on, like what happens in real life, time goes by characters grow, in one movie we can't get a deep of a character as you could if you showed him in many different times in his life. Example Peter Parker, we have seen him go through many different trials at different times of his life.

Yea sometimes the third fails in a trilogy because most of the time the original cast/crew jumps ship, and a lot of the tallent is lost. So I think with this we will have no worries.

Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 AM   #96
Pagrebo
Side-Kick
 
Pagrebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hawaii... beachfront... so hate me!!
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary
Wow, just look at all of you, thinking that you actually know what you're talking about.
Hee! Hee! You go, Vis!!!!

__________________
Bring back Visionary... without him you are all blind!!!
Pagrebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:58 AM   #97
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL
 
The Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 18,916
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

i have no fears at all about this film.

honestly, whatever happens, i'm gonna love it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ok children, I got a question for you.
If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
The Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #98
The Man Of 16
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 595
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodus
Because Raimi is a really, really good director. Almost the kind of director who is too good to be helming a superhero franchise, but good for us because he is.

Isn't there also an unspoken rule that sequels in general are inferior? Sam Raimi bucked that trend, and the reason is because he was given more control to exert his directorial prowess and to work with his own creative people. The line graph is moving in the opposite direction with this franchise. All curses are off.
Hells yeah

The Man Of 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #99
USMC
Side-Kick
 
USMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: drinking beer.
Posts: 14,745
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Temple of Doom is WAY better than Raiders...

USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #100
Mephistopheles
Side-Kick
 
Mephistopheles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 445
Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC
Temple of Doom is WAY better than Raiders...

Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.