The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 09-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #101
gvcool2
Banned User

Default Re: Why Are So Many People Fearing The Trilogy Curse??

Never!

gvcool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #102
Naite22
Side-Kick

^agreed.

Naite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:25 AM   #103
ghost_x
Side-Kick

Bumped, theres a very similar thread thats just been made

Just ****ing retarded.
Spoken like a Jedi Master

Previously gvcool2
ghost_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #104
fabman
Side-Kick

The only thing I'm worried about is the score. It was in good hands with Danny Elfman composing but, okay, we'll see...

fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #105
Visionary
Banned User

No it wasn't.

Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #106
Mr Jide
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabman View Post
The only thing I'm worried about is the score. It was in good hands with Danny Elfman composing but, okay, we'll see...
If you're only worried about the score, then you must be superconfident about the movie itself. I used to be like you once upon a time.

Mr Jide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #107
November Rain
Single Mother

I'm more than 80% sure that this final spidey film is going to throw away most of the ideals of the essential character away and really focus heavily on the fight scenes to sell it.

they'll be less essential peter parker in this one than in the last film which was already fairly scarce

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #108
Mr Jide
Banned User

I don't think some people care. What they want to see is, spidey, spidey and more spidey doing battle against the 3 villains and to some extent I'm one of those people because, I think Raimi sucks when it comes to the slower moving scenes. The less peter parker the better. I've seen enough of Parker in the last 2 movies and Raimi couldn't cut it. Although, with the introduction of Gwen and Brock the drama should lend itself to be more compelling but we'll see.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #109
November Rain
Single Mother

raimi struggles with character building in a short period of time, his style is better for series where the change is alway subtle but apparent from series to series.

doesn't work on film though.

I don't understand why people can't see that this should be a film about pete parker and spiderman is only a small part of that, rather than the other way round. The real gem is that no matter how small parker tries to make spidey in his life, it always becomes a much bigger more important factor, generally detrimental to his own life and the cycle continues in its downward spiral.

I mean the whole parker chasing sandman for killing his uncle really makes him no better than harry who is potentially doing exactly the same thing. and the characters are immensely different

this film is going to end up being like a van damme film, held together by fight scenes...and people are going to eat it all up.

the funny thing is spidey will be no better off at the end of this film than he is when he starts (although his public view may be slightly messed up (which is anothe thing i'm pissed about but meh))

Old 03-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #110
Mr Jide
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Rain View Post

this film is going to end up being like a van damme film, held together by fight scenes...and people are going to eat it all up.
Bro, you're not supposed to say things like that .

My distaste for Raimi's work is, he's messed up Peter's character from the get go, so, the more he stays away the better.
We shouldn't forget that Peter does enjoy being spider-man, he loves it but thats not a character trait that Raimi has really given us. Something Titanic alwyas happens and it's always too close to home for Peter. Couple this with drawn-out, lazy, uninspired, dreary dialogue and then we have a real anathestic on our hands. I dont need nor want this. What I want is, spider-man. I want to see Peter's troubles in an exciting and compelling manner that balances out the action but seeing as Raimi lacks the capacity to bring it forth with, I stand by desire to see more spider-man than Peter Parker......unfortunately

Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #111
November Rain
Single Mother

well I guess you are easier to please than myself....

i'd quite happily watch a whole film without a single fight if they managed to nail every single character because with a decent creative team and enough money, anyone could create a fantastic spiderman fight scene. I honestly do believe that.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #112
Mr Jide
Banned User

I'm hardly easier to please. I'd rather Raimi get everything done right but imo he doesn't and what he gets wrong the most are the characterizations. So, if it means less time spent on exploring the characters in every wrong manner possible in favour of spidey action, I'm all for it. The past 2 movies have been extremely painful because imo, the emphasis has always been on Peter Parker and seeing as Raimi's botched these characters up I really dont want to see lengthy scenes of where Raimi dissapoints the most.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #113
Visionary
Banned User

I like what he's done with the characters myself, not completely, but that's part of the reason why I return every year like the ice-cream man.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #114
ghost_x
Side-Kick

The character of Peter Parker is evidently not the one regularly seen in the comics. There were hints and wavers of the essence of the source character in the first movie, but was gradually lost when the second movie came around. By this point in the franchise it would be strange to start altering his character. What we can hope for however is that they handle Symbiote Parker with respect to it's source. Use elements that were seen in the comics, as some of the material was good stuff and would benefit the movie greatly with it's inclusion. As for Brock, it's safe to say his character rarely shares traits with his comic counterpart, I just hope that unlike Parker, Brock's character has been altered for the right reasons.

Just ****ing retarded.

Previously gvcool2
Old 03-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #115
Mr Jide
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_x View Post
The character of Peter Parker is evidently not the one regularly seen in the comics. There were hints and wavers of the essence of the source character in the first movie, but was gradually lost when the second movie came around. By this point in the franchise it would be strange to start altering his character. What we can hope for however is that they handle Symbiote Parker with respect to it's source. Use elements that were seen in the comics, as some of the material was good stuff and would benefit the movie greatly with it's inclusion. As for Brock, it's safe to say his character rarely shares traits with his comic counterpart, I just hope that unlike Parker, Brock's character has been altered for the right reasons.
Tres bien!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #116
Visionary
Banned User

The comics, sheesh, I think the alterations I've seen in those books are 20 times worst? Hell, they've been running people away from them for over a decade or more. That's why so few people actually post in the comic book forum.

And the traits of Symbiote Parker comes mostly from the 90s cartoon, not the comics, for which I am glad. Or it would just be a black suit that enhances Spidey's powers, kind of boring if you think about it.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #117
Mr Jide
Banned User

Plenty of people post in the comics forum and those who don't post don't because they have no knowledge of the comics, past, present and future to contribute

Old 03-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #118
Visionary
Banned User

Talk about twisting things. It's the die-hard purists who ask the question of the comics..."is Marvel killing Spider-Man?" They are the few who post there and are pissed off continually, by what's being printed in the comics.

Last edited by Visionary; 03-27-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #119
Mr Jide
Banned User

We have our good points and we discuss what we like. It's not all doom and gloom over there.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #120
Visionary
Banned User

Yes, it pretty much is, except when Marvel what seems like by luck, release a comic that most like. That's rare, like bangin' two supermodels in one day.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #121
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Spider-Man 3 is drawing upon a time when 'good' and 'Spider-Man' were synonymous, which is more than can be said about the later age of modern comics. See the Clone Saga and the mentality since then for examples. I have no fear of a 'trilogy curse' with this film. In fact, I'm confident it will stomp on the competition to become the highest-grossing comic book film of all time.

What I am worried about, however, is Sony. Sony is like Capcom. They see a good thing, work it up to high quality...then take perverse pleasure in cutting it down. I'm more worried about the Quadrilogy Curse only a few other films have delved into- people don't realize that after the Big 3 are gone the franchise will have to rely sheerly on story-telling power, and one of the ominous things about SM2 that no one seems to acknowledge in the fan community is that without a compelling story you end up making a filler film.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #122
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiKiriyama View Post
and one of the ominous things about SM2 that no one seems to acknowledge in the fan community is that without a compelling story you end up making a filler film.
You didn't find SM-2 compelling??

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #123
ghost_x
Side-Kick

Upon rewatching Spiderman you discover that not only is Spiderman 2 a far superior film, but the original movie isn't actually as great as you once remembered

Just ****ing retarded.

Previously gvcool2
Old 03-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #124
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_x View Post
Upon rewatching Spiderman you discover that not only is Spiderman 2 a far superior film, but the original movie isn't actually as great as you once remembered
Alot of movies lose their shine for some people after a while. Batman Begins is a great example of that. It used to be the second coming of Christ for some comic book fans.

Now, alot of people complain about it's blandness and using too much realism. Like Scarecrow lacking a proper costume.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #125
Cmill216
Senior Case Officer
SHH! Administrator

^ Or the supporting characters not being all that interesting or the action severely lacking.

Cmill216 is offline   Reply With Quote