The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > The Comics

Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #76
RogueDK
Agent Of The Bat

Default Re: What's keeping Iron Man to become Marvel's Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I also seriously doubt they showed much, unless it was in some adult comics(which is a whole other ballgame).

Not to get off of subject here but did they show what Mr. Blonde(one of your examples of the consumate villian) did to that cop in Resevoir Dogs? No. But the suggestion was still there.

There are arty approaches to the evil that you seem to covet from entertainment. You don't have to see actual penetration to get your rocks off...

"Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but it's certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots as the tortured avenger...crying out for Mommy & Daddy..."
RogueDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #77
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrell
Nope, I don't even know who those two are. I also seriously doubt they showed much, unless it was in some adult comics(which is a whole other ballgame).
I fail to see how that makes a difference. Not like they showed Anikan actually kill those younglings or whatever. They showed enough, and it wasn't in an adult comic, It was in a DC comics special event, with Batman and Superman and all those other goodie two shoes we know and love.

When was the last time you read a superhero comic? The Villains have become some sick f**ks over the last 20 years or so. Toyman is a pedophile. Ultron eradicated an entire nation. Every man, woman, and child. A guy killed Green Lanterns girlfriend and stuffed her in a refrigerator. The Red Skull killed Captain America. All this in your run of the mill comics.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #78
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin's Lapdog View Post
I think it comes down to villains...

Iron man really doesn't have a great selection of villains, the mandirin is great but gets no where near as much exposure as venom, green goblin, magneto or doctor doom.
This is exactly why. Look at the most popular heroes, Batman and Spider-man. Both have at least 3 or 4 villains the general, non-comic reading crowd could name off the top of their heads. Only Superman is at the same level of popularity, and most people could probably only name 2 or 3 of his villains (Luthor, Bizarro, Mxylpltk).

I can only really name a few IM villians... Mandarin, Fin Fan Foom, Crimson Dynamo, but maybe only Mandarin has the same charisma or coolness of a Joker or Dr. Octopus.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #79
Odin's Lapdog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
^I beg to differ. Toyman & Bizarro to name a few. I'm not all that impressed with Batman or Spider-Man's villains either. There are actually very, very few villains I find interesting at all throughout all of Marvel or DC. I find more movie villains to be interesting, like Hans Gruber from Die Hard. Maybe that's because in order for a villain to really be threatening and therefore cool, said villain needs to be allowed to be as bad as he/she can be. Comics being geared towards kids, tends to mute a villain's evil.

On a side note, it is interesting that a hero's villains generally are similar to him in many ways. Spider-Man's enemies are almost all animal based characters, Batman's are almost all as powerless as he is, Iron Man's are mostly tech based villains, etc.
the entire jlu was geared towards the team fighting off nemeses of superman

brainiac, lex luthor and darkseid, one easily in the top three villains of all time.

most decent heroes have at least three badass villains. Ironman has the mandarin (who has been drastically downplayed) and other suited technological counterparts which probably take a second place for tony being an alcoholic.

why don't i feel, my Skin should crack and peel?
I want the
Fire back...

If you want to PM me, please send it to November RAIN. Odin's Lapdog's pm box is full
Odin's Lapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #80
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

You know when Iron Man will be on Batman's level? When people start making hate threads about him in another heroes movie forum.

I myself never cared for Stark, and Civil War just made him a prick. I don't blame that on IM, I blame that on the writing. The movie however looks pretty sweet and may make me start reading some IM books.

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #81
IRON_Lad
Side-Kick

Batman's just more interesting. I mean I tried to get into Ironman books a couple of years ago but it was just boring. But with Batman you can just pick up any book and it will be at least a little enjoyable. But maybe the movie will change that. Also Why are you tring to compare Batman to Ironman when they have nothing in common except for their money?

Last edited by IRON_Lad; 05-02-2008 at 09:20 AM.
IRON_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote