The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Who WILL direct part 2?

Lets be realistic. Heads are going to roll for the box office numbers. The odds of Bryan Singer actually being brought back are very slim. Regardless, there likely will be a sequel with a cut down budget. Who do you think WB will hire to direct it?

Old 07-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who WILL direct part 2?

Atleast get new writers.....Bruce Timm and Paul Dini!!!

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom420
screw that i say bring on some fans to make a story

Lightning54SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Id start from scratch!!!!

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Old 07-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
dpm07
Hiking Hero

Quote:
Timm and Dini!!!

Those guys would blow Harris and Daughtery out of the water with regard to storywriting. These are the guys that brought the stories of Apokolips Now!, Legacy, and A Better World. and also introduced the best interpretation of Kara Zor-El to date (Not an easy feat). They respect the material and they sure wouldn't do anything so lame as Luthor and a real estate land scheme or have Superson in the film.

They'd make a Superman film work, and bring a story that would shine. Timm/Dini writing a trilogy would blow anything Harris/Daughtery/Singer has done for Superman out of the water with regards to writing. Just look at the layered arcs they did for STAS, JL, JLU. They weaved the most sophisticated arcs in animation and it would work in live action as well. Characterizations and romance? They can do that. Drama and action? Definitely! Suspense, and that thrill of whoa! They are there!

Yep, bring on Timm/Dini.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Secret_Riddle
Agent of Chaos

superman returns was awesom...think about how much better x2 was compared to x1. superman returns...umm 2 would be better because bryan singer wouldnt be tied down to the donner stories and he would most likely make an amazing movie (although i thought returns was amazing)

Last edited by Secret_Riddle; 07-02-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Secret_Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Riddle
superman returns was awesom...think about how much better x2 was compared to x1. superman returns...umm 2 would be better because bryan singer wouldnt be tied down to the donner stories and he would most likely make an amazing movie (although i thought returns was amazing)
He was never tied down by the Donner stories to begin with. He made the choice to tie himself to the Donner movies. He has such a hard on for the Richard Donner movies, what is to stop him from using Zod and creating another semi-remake/semi-sequel?

Old 07-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Timstuff
Banned User

First of all, there might not be a part 2 for SR. If SR does badly enough at the BO, WB could possibly scrap the continuity alltogether. And if that's the case, then you can pretty much rule out them inviting Singer back, which even now seems very unlikely. They gave him 260 million to make a movie with, and he delivered a movie that might not be able to earn it back. Warner Bros. hired him because of his success with X-Men, and they thought that a Superman movie from him would be huge. It seemed like a surefire hit, but it looks like their confidence in Singer may have been mis-placed.

So I'm guessing that Singer probably won't be coming back, regardless of wether or not he wants to.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
dpm07
Hiking Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
He was never tied down by the Donner stories to begin with. He made the choice to tie himself to the Donner movies. He has such a hard on for the Richard Donner movies, what is to stop him from using Zod and creating another semi-remake/semi-sequel?
Well said, Matt.

One thing that should be addressed is how can any director that might come to the franchise if Singer is fired (God willing), fix the debacle that is Superson? Is there any way they can get rid of that aspect that Singer has polluted on-screen?

Who can come in and do damage control and erase Singerman?

Old 07-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Timstuff
Banned User

Me. I can make "Superman Begins" in 5 years after I'm done with art college.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

"Who will direct part 2?"

Oh, I don't know... someone who has actually read the comics and treats them as the source material rather than treating the previous movies as the source material? Crazy idea, I know, but I think it could actually work .

Old 07-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Ill do the next Superman, but it won't be a sequel to Returns!!

Give me a couple years to make some good, low budget films, find me, give me $125 million, which is half the budget of SR, and cast approval, and Ill give you Superman:Year One, a true blue Superman story with all the classic elements.

Im atleast doing The Flash!

Last edited by NotFadeAway; 07-02-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
Kane

How are you doing The Flash when Goyer already submitted the script for it to WB.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Im confident Goyer's Flash won't see the light of day....just a hunch!

I don't want Goyer to do it anyway, The Flash isn't really his style, and while he is a good writer, again not for Flash material, he was horrible as a Director on Blade: Trinity!!

Last edited by NotFadeAway; 07-02-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #15
Kane

Ryan Reynolds, the possible star of the film, said Goyer's script was mind blowing and he was very interested.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:12 PM   #16
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
Ryan Reynolds, the possible star of the film, said Goyer's script was mind blowing and he was very interested.
I hope so, that'll be awesome if true. That would be great news to me

Still, that leaves the question mark of Goyer's directing abilities!! The Blade Trinity script was supposed to be pretty good to, if I remember right.

I still think though, ecspecially if Superman Returns fails at the box office, that the film will be put of for several more years.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #17
Eros
Side-Kick

The chances of someone besides Singar directing superman is very very slim. The studio is gonna be plesed with the eventual numbers. The movie is critically aclaimed and is makeing money and the box office [just not a much as other people hoped]. The movie is also well written and directed, and can't wait for the sequel. Singar did a great job, and showed utter respect fro superman and his world.

Eros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #18
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I tell what mistake Singer made, he should have paid his respect to the Donner films and moved on, use the spirit of the Donner fiilms, but present some new ideas as well. But he had such a hard on for the donner film, that it felt like a remake, instead of new film. That was the problem he should paid some respect to the Donner films, not think of them as the be all, end all of Superman. Shwing some respect would havwe been good, but worshipping them to the point that you don't let new ideas in, that was foolish. Give Donner a nod or two, don't rip off his film, some other stuff deserves some nods too, like STAS.

Last edited by The Overlord; 07-02-2006 at 11:11 PM.
The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #19
Kane

Quote:
I hope so, that'll be awesome if true. That would be great news to me

Still, that leaves the question mark of Goyer's directing abilities!! The Blade Trinity script was supposed to be pretty good to, if I remember right.

I still think though, ecspecially if Superman Returns fails at the box office, that the film will be put of for several more years.
If Superman Returns fails I dont think these other DC properties will ever see the light of day (since their budgets would be big like SR)...

But I dont think SR will. Theres still 6 days till Potc 2 (including today) and as of yesterday its up to over 84 mill. Theres still a truckload of international markets where it hasnt opened yet (markets where BB made alot of its revenue to bounce back). I think SR will at the very least break even, which still warrants a sequel.

WB however will never get back the money lost from its aborted projects over the past 12 years.

And Goyer isnt directing......just penning a script for them.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #20
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

The X1 to X2 comparison has no bearing here,in that instance Singer made X1 under pressure and with a limited budget,only when it was a hit did he get the time and money needed to make X2 superior
In the case of SR he had all the time,money and creative freedom he wanted

I would like to see Ridley Scott take up the mantle or JJ Abraham's

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #21
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros
Singar did a great job, and showed utter respect fro superman and his world.
If, by Singer's "utter respect," you actually mean Singer "ignored the original source material, made needless bad changes just for the sake of change, reused the same tired plot from SM:TM, and made the villain a moron and completely unthreatening," then yes, I would agree.

Here, let me revise your statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros
Singar did a great job, and showed utter respect fro superman and his world as shown in the Donner films.
There. That's about right.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #22
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
If Superman Returns fails I dont think these other DC properties will ever see the light of day (since their budgets would be big like SR)...

But I dont think SR will. Theres still 6 days till Potc 2 (including today) and as of yesterday its up to over 84 mill. Theres still a truckload of international markets where it hasnt opened yet (markets where BB made alot of its revenue to bounce back). I think SR will at the very least break even, which still warrants a sequel.

WB however will never get back the money lost from its aborted projects over the past 12 years.

And Goyer isnt directing......just penning a script for them.
I hate that it's up to Warner Brothers to make all of the DC films, that they just won't license them out to other film divisions like New Line, who have expressed interest in doing both The Flash and Green Lantern trilogy.

They will never see passed the big three....and I don't count Catwoman, considering she is a part of Batman's universe so they thought it had household name recognition.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #23
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I doubt they will give up on DC films all together. Especially after BB2 and SPider-man 3 are successful. Hell, the money Superman made would be a success for any other movie.

They will likely give them a more realistic budget and push ahead.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #24
Timstuff
Banned User

That is, if SR continues to make a steady gross. But there's no garuntee, since the biggest movie of the summer is only four days away...

Old 07-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #25
Triligors
Banned User

These Pirate fans make me laugh. POTC2 won't be a titanic that sinks every film around it.

SR and POTC2 are the two movies to see for the summer. Other movies will come and go, but have no lasting effect. POTC2 will hurt- but it won't bury. Lol.

Triligors is offline   Reply With Quote