The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #26
Goddessreicho
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why the hate for Wolverine?

Logan is a great character as is Magneto. But neither have the pull to hold a mind blowing block-buster for thier spin offs.

Both of these characters where introduced to the X-MEN...you know a TEAM of superheroes.

Even Magneto has his own team, where he can be shown being a leader. This is where his character shines. Can't be a leader without followers.

Wolverine functions well as a solo character, but he's better as a crochety team member.

Do you really think that his solo movie could earn 400+ million as a total gross? If his project turns into Electra, well that's gonna sink the franchise.

I have been on other boards and the consenses has been the same for me. 3 movies full of Wolverine is more than enough. A fourth is just annoying. And according to Latinoreview its not even gonna be his orginal orgins. Arrrg.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Rest peacefully Mum
April 10th 1946
March 31st 2007

Goddessreicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 AM   #27
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops
These kinds of things aren't Wolverine traits. They're not even the traits his character from the first two films had. This is not nearly the same guy who said "Pick one" to "Don't know, or don't care?".
Of course they are! Wolverine has cried even in the comics. He has lead, he has loved...what do you think he is, just the schoolīs attack dog? He is a man who keeps things for himself, but it doesnīt mean heīs a man who canīt feel anything, only anger. Sorry, but anyone who says that donīt know very well the character.
Of course heīs different now from the man who said those things to Rogue. And if I remember clearly, even being rude and aloof he still helped her. Little by little, he learned to care about her, and about the X-Men as a family. What would be really strange in X3 was Logan still not caring at all about anyone!
I love Wolverineīs dark side...that he can be a total badass when itīs necessary, full of rage. But I love that he can be so many other things, not just this one-dimensional character that his haters keep talking about. If he was just a dumb attack dog for the X-Men, I would never be interested in him.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:26 AM   #28
Spidey 2007
Side-Kick

well. whoever is complaining about wolverine being a sap in x3, just wait till the prequal i guess. X3 was a great example of the human evolution of wolverine, really. anyone with the same character traits would have done it. found love, a caring home, not to mention he still gets to kick ass and use the claws. who wouldnt be happy?

but overall, we will see a more beastly ravaging wolvie in the spin off. and i cant wait.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:50 AM   #29
Supreme Power
Side-Kick

I happen to like Wolverine. And overused or not, I just read the script review for Wolverine on Latino Review, and I can't wait for that.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:45 AM   #30
Celestial
Side-Kick

I don't think it's really about Wolverine but more a dissatisfaction amongst comic and cartoon fans that instead of an ensemble, we have movies with a leading man. If the leading man had been Cyclops for three movies, most comic fans would be complaining about that.

I wanted them to limit Wolverine to just a cameo in X3 and go ahead with the spinoff.

Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #31
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I dont hate Wolverine at all, i love him in the first 2 movies and Jackman's portrayal of him, but i thought he acted a lot out of character in the third movie, and his fight scene in the woods was one of the worst i hav ever seen in any movie. They did what i thought was impossible and made Wolverine look stupid.

Also, Jackman has lost some of my respect because of some of the lies he told before the movie came out.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:56 AM   #32
Decay
Side-Kick

I love Wolverine to death. He is my favorite character of them all. Cyclops fans usually hate Wolverine because he gets so much screen time and he spends more time around Jean than Scott does.

I feel the anger changing me!
Decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #33
gambitfire
Banned User

i didn't hate Wolverine until X3- i think the blame on Cyclops fans is getting old, it seems like hate comes from all kinds of fans.

SO why all the hate because he obviously steals the spotlight which is FOX's fault. Im not going to say that Wolverine isn't a popular character because he is, but it's obvious that from X1 to X3 the increase in Wolverine fans from the general public has increased drastically. So him having the spotlight is unfair to all the other characters, because most other characters are overlooked or viewed upon as uninteresting and we never get too see their greatest capabilities, personalitie, etc.

When people tell me they don't like cyclops because he's a prick i stare at them like their idiots, at what point was he a prick in X-1 and he wasn't even in X-2 so why do we get this kind of response, simple because they where too busy developing Wolverine's character and too busy staring at Wolverine and loving him that they lost all care for the man who plays his contrast.

Another thing is that i never blamed Jackman for this Wolverine overexposure but it really bugged the hell out of me when he said in an interview that he really needs too do this spin-off because his character hasn't been able too develop in the last 3 movies, at that point i thought- YOUR SPEAKING OUT OF YOUR A$$!!! oh and yes while i think he's a good Wolverine, he's the only Wolverine its what we got, we have nothing else to compare him too. It's just so conviniently great that he's good looking, IMO he really isn't that great of an actor(not saying he's bad just not that great) so i have female friends that loved X3 because they spent an hour and 45 minutes drooling.

Wolverine was an interesting character in the comic books but his character is not 3 dimensional but more like 5 dimensional, lol what i mean it's that it's ridiculous- He's angry and violent and crazy but wait he's caring, loving, and loyal. LOL I just described a dog BTW . w/e i mean its fine but while it's arguable, IMO he has been made too good and perfectly cool to be an interesting character anymore. At this point even in the comic books his flaws are flawless. LOL hopefully that makes sense.

w/e so this is why i feel their is hate for Wolverine from the fanboys, call it a bandwagon that everybody jumps on, but if a large portion of fanboys hate him, well soo many ppl can't be wrong. Well they can but w/e .

Edit- another thin im noticing is that alot of Wolverine fans seem too only be Wolverine fans, like do you know anything about another X-Man? .....

Last edited by gambitfire; 07-03-2006 at 07:29 AM.
gambitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:43 AM   #34
Jan Irisi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON
I dont hate Wolverine at all, i love him in the first 2 movies and Jackman's portrayal of him, but i thought he acted a lot out of character in the third movie, and his fight scene in the woods was one of the worst i hav ever seen in any movie. They did what i thought was impossible and made Wolverine look stupid.

Also, Jackman has lost some of my respect because of some of the lies he told before the movie came out.
And what "lies" might those be? That he thought the film was the best of the three? Isn't that his opinion rather than a lie? And as has been said many times before...it's the Hollywood way for actors to talk up their upcoming movies. That's the way it is done. It happens all the time. "This film is different...." "This film has heart...." "This film is something we've not seen before..."

If the actors didn't do that, they wouldn't be working actors for very long, would they?

I too miss the X1 and X2 Wolverine. X3 Wolverine just wasn't Wolverine to me. I'm hoping Benioff can find that X1 Logan again, and bring him back.

Jan Irisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #35
DrChronic
Side-Kick

Personnely this is why i think Wolverine is hated by the others... We were told we were getting an X-Men movie instead we were treated to a Wolverine and some x-men movie. Alot of people believe Wolverine overshadows the construct of the x-men movie. In my oppion Fox shouldnt of pushed wolverine into the limelight nor storm for that matter. The problem was the story for x3 didnt really feature development for storm or wolverine yet the movie centered on them leading the team. The problem... They killed of Scott, when they should of used him as a more potential role within the x-men. Toned down wolverine so you have the same sort of team you had in the first movie, were upon you had Cyclops leading the way.

In my oppion Fox and Marvel ruined the movies by only focusing on the major players and not giving it a chance to evolve. I mean however they did do well as 405 million for there work over the time. they must of done something right. but majorilty i believe the fans that suffered the most.

The problems with the story for x-men 3... The Unformilarty of the story!
Dark Phoenix and The Cure was prominatly the key factor of the movie, However i feel they chose the wrong way about telling both.

With The Cure i would of considered the following, how can i merge that with the Dark Phoenix saga... the result... The Brotherhood, Mr Sinister, Gambit and White Queen. This would of pleased the fans on many levels.

Firstly we would of had Beast working on a cure, along with Moira, maybe Multipleman would of been an assistant of Moira's a more good hearted role. Maybe there mentor was Dr. Essex aka Mr Sinister but before mutation. The reason i would of brought in Dr. Essex and the Hellfire is because Dr. Essex is the best character to both be in a story about a Cure and Dark Phoenix as a non playble character to the dark phoenix saga. On the one hand i would of had The Hellfire fund the research into the cure, however having serious underlining other plans for it. Sebastian Shaw would of taken the place of Warren Worthington the second or Angels dad in the movie. Sort of a press hore, and major villian of the set movie. Dr. Essex pre sinister would of been a member of Hellfire at the same time only interested by the cure and not of the phoenix. However a facination would of occured by the end of the movie. Hence the famous scott and phoenix jean splice sinister has tryed in comics and cartoon. The overal movie would of shown Beast playing a big role like he did in x3 however my verson of him would of been more of a scientist not a polition. Of which you would of seen the trasnformation from normal human like beast big hands big feat too the blue haired fury thing we saw in x3. which would of happend to to the event of the cure being used onhimself only to fail and have a reverse effect. Gambits role would have been greate tooo, not only would you have an excellent chance to show of Gambits character but done in a way that would of pleased fans... He would be a lacky of the Hellfire, a sort of thief for hire who attempts to steal parts of cerebro from the mansion whilst Xavier was away from it as part of the hellfires plan to create a sentinal. Only to be stopped by the younger x-men aka iceman, colossus, rogue and shadowcat this initially would of made a second x-men team. As Iceman starts to fall for ShadowCat the gambit would of made the new love interest in for Rogue. Inccidently the movie would move back and forth till we have the phoenix awake although at the hands of the hellfire and being controlled by them. It would of ended with a war like story much like the end of x-men 3 only a few survivors left standing with some casutys i think phoenix and cyclops died together of which i wrote cyclops takes of his visor and fullly blasts phoenix to oblivian but can not control the beam any longer he vaporizes himself. Magneto had a smaller role but lends a hand in the final battle.

DrChronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:19 AM   #36
gambitfire
Banned User

^ is this why they hate Wolverine or your fantasy X3?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 AM   #37
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitfire
Wolverine was an interesting character in the comic books but his character is not 3 dimensional but more like 5 dimensional, lol what i mean it's that it's ridiculous- He's angry and violent and crazy but wait he's caring, loving, and loyal.
Lol

About Wolverine fans - I think he has mostly fangirls on this board (that's why the Wolverine thread is mostly about Hugh)

CapBeerCino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #38
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Irisi
And what "lies" might those be? That he thought the film was the best of the three? Isn't that his opinion rather than a lie? And as has been said many times before...it's the Hollywood way for actors to talk up their upcoming movies. That's the way it is done. It happens all the time. "This film is different...." "This film has heart...." "This film is something we've not seen before..."

If the actors didn't do that, they wouldn't be working actors for very long, would they?

I too miss the X1 and X2 Wolverine. X3 Wolverine just wasn't Wolverine to me. I'm hoping Benioff can find that X1 Logan again, and bring him back.
It wasnt any of that because i expect that for every movie, but he said in an interview something that gave the impression that Cylcops had a big role in the movie.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #39
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON
It wasnt any of that because i expect that for every movie, but he said in an interview something that gave the impression that Cylcops had a big role in the movie.
I never remember him saying anything like that. Like Jan said, if anyone thinks it's a "lie" when he called it the best of the 3...he's actor, that's his job. And who knows? Maybe he thought it was.

But I wouldn't lose respect for Hugh...most actors get ticked off when they're doing another project and get constantly reminded of the action hero they play. I saw him signing autographs after his B'way show when a group of lunatics climbed on up on a construction railing and starting yelling "WOLVERINE!!!!" He cheered right back, and even did it again at them from his car when it drove away.

As far as the Wolverine hate? Fanboys. They walk into a movie with 40 years of comic history to back up what they see and can't understand why people who don't read them see it differently and like it.

The audience has responded the most to Wolverine in all 3 movies when I've seen them in the theater--and I've seen them all in NYC, where the audiences are nuts and will yell out exactly what they think. Someone in the audience made an X-Men comment during Hugh Jackman's Broadway show, and 1500 theater snobs started cheering. People LIKE this guy.

Not that fanboys are bad. I totally felt bad for the Cyclops fans, because he wasn't handled well in X3, and as far as the Dark Phoenix story...I'd never read the comic, but I've seen plenty of books and plays I love butchered into movies, so I can understand the frustration.

Me? I'd never read an X-Men comic or seen the cartoon before I saw X1. I've read some of the comics since, and know (and enjoy) the X-Men universe a lot better than I did 6 years ago.

But I'm not afraid to say it...I freakin' loved Wolverine in all 3 movies, and I'm psyched for the prequels. To quote Lex Luthor: Bring it on!!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #40
*xmenfan*
Side-Kick

I don't hate wolverine but he does get annoying being at the front of everything and having his face and body taking up the whole of the posters! You know fox there are other importing characters as well like cyclops or even one of the younger x-men!!

I <3 you Rangers!
*xmenfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #41
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse
As far as the Wolverine hate? Fanboys. They walk into a movie with 40 years of comic history to back up what they see and can't understand why people who don't read them see it differently and like it.
Im only 19 and most the people who i know that hated it are film students, animation students and around my age alike

edit- lol my point is that i knew what i knew and it was about 10 years of X-history when i saw X1 not 40 years and after that i went back and read everything before 1990 (in other words internet and borrowing old issues)

double edit- and the film students who hate it know nothing of the characters or comic books they only know 2 previous movies.

Quote:
The audience has responded the most to Wolverine in all 3 movies when I've seen them in the theater--and I've seen them all in NYC, where the audiences are nuts and will yell out exactly what they think. Someone in the audience made an X-Men comment during Hugh Jackman's Broadway show, and 1500 theater snobs started cheering. People LIKE this guy.
Thats because he was given those excellent scenes and spotlight and made too look better so of course they are going to respond, its what those particular scenes where made for.

Quote:
Not that fanboys are bad. I totally felt bad for the Cyclops fans, because he wasn't handled well in X3, and as far as the Dark Phoenix story...I'd never read the comic, but I've seen plenty of books and plays I love butchered into movies, so I can understand the frustration.
glad you unerstand

Quote:
Me? I'd never read an X-Men comic or seen the cartoon before I saw X1. I've read some of the comics since, and know (and enjoy) the X-Men universe a lot better than I did 6 years ago.
Well i have been well educated in the X-Universe since i was 10

Last edited by gambitfire; 07-03-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #42
Mistopurr83
Side-Kick

One main reason only. HE'S OVEREXPOSED TOO DARN MUCH!!! Even the comics were overexposing him too much. If Marvel didn't think he was getting too much overexposure they wouldn't have removed him from Uncanny and Adjectiveless X-Men (which I'm gald they did). I think Marvel is admitting in a sense that Wolverine is only suffering from too much overexposure.

The more he's overexposed, the more I dislike him. So I won't bother seeing his spin-off film since the film trilogy was already about him. Besides, it won't even be as successful b/c the trilogy went downhill at #3.

I remember there was this poll on xmenfilms.net asking "Which character is your least favorite" and Wolverine was in second place with about 700 votes if I recall correctly. That should be an indication that he's not the character who puts the majority in seats at the theatres.

PS I think Matthew Vaughn can admit the real reason he walked out of X3 is b/c Fox was forcing him to make X3 about Wolverine again. Vaughn said himself on a video interview he didn't want X3 to have a main focus but, to look like an ensemble cast movie. I'm so sure X3 would've been a better movie if only Vaughn had stayed and been allowed to do what he wanted.

Last edited by Mistopurr83; 07-03-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Mistopurr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #43
LoGaN's RuNNer
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapBeerCino
I absolutely loved Wolverine in x-1 and x-2 but the over use of his character in x-3 was sickening. He was out of character and there was a point I couldn't see his face anymore! It felt like every thing about the script was forced to give him more screen time.
You know what is weird? I was talking to someone yesterday about X3, and he said it would have been better if Wolverine had more screen time, and less of Beast, and he's not even a comic book movie fan.

LoGaN's RuNNer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #44
DrChronic
Side-Kick

Quote:
^ is this why they hate Wolverine or your fantasy X3?
bit off both

DrChronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #45
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoGaN's RuNNer
You know what is weird? I was talking to someone yesterday about X3, and he said it would have been better if Wolverine had more screen time, and less of Beast, and he's not even a comic book movie fan.
And I read some users on Imdb saying x-3 needs more action. Go figure

CapBeerCino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #46
gambitfire
Banned User

^ i dunno people who want more Wolverine are getting a movie then we'll see if that's what they really wanted. People say that want something but then don't like it when they get it, we live in very undescisive times

Old 07-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #47
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Im only 19 and most the people who i know that hated it are film students, animation students and around my age alike

edit- lol my point is that i knew what i knew and it was about 10 years of X-history when i saw X1 not 40 years and after that i went back and read everything before 1990 (in other words internet and borrowing old issues)

double edit- and the film students who hate it know nothing of the characters or comic books they only know 2 previous movies.
And I know a teacher, a computer tech, and a few marketing people who loved it...occupation really isn't the issue. It's fan/non-fan.

40 years of comic books didn't mean that every fanboy had a 40-year relationship with the comics...but most knew the history of the character far more than the average moviegoer.

Quote:
Thats because he was given those excellent scenes and spotlight and made too look better so of course they are going to respond, its what those particular scenes where made for.
And why he's so popular.

Quote:
Well i have been well educated in the X-Universe since i was 10
Congratulations! (no sarcasm there...I promise)

I think I played an X-Men videogame once before I saw the movie...

Last edited by danoyse; 07-03-2006 at 06:47 PM.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #48
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Jealousy. Plain and simple.

A similiar element and sentiment exists for Storm--and much for the same reasons. Yet they remain the most popular despite that, so....

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #49
MaleRogue
Side-Kick

I like Logan and Hugh..
I only hate it he had so much screentime

X5: X-Men Mutant Chaos.
MaleRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #50
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistopurr83
I remember there was this poll on xmenfilms.net asking "Which character is your least favorite" and Wolverine was in second place with about 700 votes if I recall correctly. That should be an indication that he's not the character who puts the majority in seats at the theatres.
But most people who vote on an X-Men site...are die-hard X-Men fans. That doesn't make up everyone who's seen the X-Men films.