The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 07-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #51
gambitfire
Banned User

Default Re: Why the hate for Wolverine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse
And I know a teacher, a computer tech, and a few marketing people who loved it...occupation really isn't the issue. It's fan/non-fan.

40 years of comic books didn't mean that every fanboy had a 40-year relationship with the comics...but most knew the history of the character far more than the average moviegoer.
yes ill give you that even though the ppl you named have nothing to do with the moving making industry except for marketing perhaps.

Quote:

And why he's so popular.
Sadly yes, if you mean they where made because he was popular well he was but they made it worse i mean bigger .

Quote:
Congratulations!

I think I played an X-Men videogame once before I saw the movie...
Tsk Tsk shame on you, get out.

LOL j/k

gambitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #52
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strikez!
Jealousy. Plain and simple.

A similiar element and sentiment exists for Storm--and much for the same reasons. Yet they remain the most popular despite that, so....
Oh LS prancing around with his infinite wisdom, we are not worthy

It's sad but the fact that fanboys hate them also makes them popular and the fact that you have 2 A list celebrities potraying them with large amount of screentime. Don't make it sound like they are the greatest of the greatest they just got reaylly hyped and fans gave a reaction and so they got exposed some more.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #53
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitfire
yes ill give you that even though the ppl you named have nothing to do with the moving making industry except for marketing perhaps.
Umm...as far as the marketing people, more than you think

Quote:
Sadly yes, if you mean they where made because he was popular well he was but they made it worse i mean bigger .
But that's only bad for the non-fans.

Quote:
Tsk Tsk shame on you, get out.

LOL j/k
::inserts evil laugh:: NEVER!

Old 07-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #54
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
It's sad but the fact that fanboys hate them also makes them popular and the fact that you have 2 A list celebrities potraying them with large amount of screentime. Don't make it sound like they are the greatest of the greatest they just got reaylly hyped and fans gave a reaction and so they got exposed some more.
But they weren't A-list when they were cast. Hugh Jackman hadn't even done a movie in the US before.

He got popular because of X-Men. It's too late to hate him now.

They wouldn't even let him play the lead in "Oklahoma!" when it was supposed to come to NY after he did it in London. After X-Men, the actors union wasn't quite so picky about him playing a lead role here.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #55
Cyclops
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe
Of course they are! Wolverine has cried even in the comics. He has lead, he has loved...what do you think he is, just the schoolīs attack dog? He is a man who keeps things for himself, but it doesnīt mean heīs a man who canīt feel anything, only anger. Sorry, but anyone who says that donīt know very well the character.
Of course heīs different now from the man who said those things to Rogue. And if I remember clearly, even being rude and aloof he still helped her. Little by little, he learned to care about her, and about the X-Men as a family. What would be really strange in X3 was Logan still not caring at all about anyone!
I love Wolverineīs dark side...that he can be a total badass when itīs necessary, full of rage. But I love that he can be so many other things, not just this one-dimensional character that his haters keep talking about. If he was just a dumb attack dog for the X-Men, I would never be interested in him.
Find the comics where he cried. Please. He didn't even cry when he put Mariko, the one true love of his life, out of her misery. And yes, you did a very good job of misunderstanding what I said. Congratulations. Just because I don't want him to be the weepy, touchy-feely kinda guy he was in X3, doesn't mean I think he should be a dumb attack dog. But whatever.

"...... Muppets. Goodnight, Randy."
"Goodnight, Earl."
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #56
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Oh LS prancing around with his infinite wisdom, we are not worthy

What fanboys?

Did you see our latest poll on X-Men here? The desire to see a solo Wolverine film took nearly 50% of the vote. In addition, the Wolverine comic has remained a top seller for Marvel consistently for decades--something that no other X-Male can lay claim to. Who exactly do you think is buying all that paper stock, hmmmm?

And while Wolverine and Storm are played by the most marketable actors in the franchise, the fact remains that even their comic counterparts have long been among the top/ most recognizable faces of X-Men--and Marvel as a whole--since their conception.

I don't dumb down the facts.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #57
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
And while Wolverine and Storm are played by the most marketable actors in the franchise, the fact remains that even their comic counterparts have long been among the top/ most recognizable faces of X-Men--and Marvel as a whole--since their conception.
Exactly...I was at the Marvel Superhero Island at Universal Studios in Florida last summer. In addition to the "Storm Force Acceleration" ride, Wolverine is featured on one of their collectible cups along with Spiderman and the Hulk.

Oh, and this is guarding the front of the Marvel store:

Try shoplifting here, bub.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #58
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
Umm...as far as the marketing people, more than you think
Im so sure , the same ppl that fals advertis to fill in seats.

Quote:
But they weren't A-list when they were cast. Hugh Jackman hadn't even done a movie in the US before.

He got popular because of X-Men. It's too late to hate him now.

They wouldn't even let him play the lead in "Oklahoma!" when it was supposed to come to NY after he did it in London. After X-Men, the actors union wasn't quite so picky about him playing a lead role here.
NO but because Halle became A-list well i think it's obvious what the results of that was.

Quote:
What fanboys?

Did you see our latest poll on X-Men here? The desire to see a solo Wolverine film took nearly 50% of the vote. In addition, the Wolverine comic has remained a top seller for Marvel consistently for decades--something that no other X-Male can lay claim to. Who exactly do you think is buying all that paper stock, hmmmm?

Oh wow half the ppll. Im sure this message board isn't full of fanboys you knwo very well aot of new members that have come in are new fans that where attracted here by Wolverine AKA according too FOX the only X-Man.
Top seller i keep hearing that but i don't see the proof? i want some numbers and then ill shut up .

Um im not going to get into a Storm argument because i am a fan of her comic book counterpart but let's face it of course she's iconic she's the only one and first in her league. African Female superhero, name others? There arn't that many and if their are they arn't as big or havn't been around as long.

Quote:
Exactly...I was at the Marvel Superhero Island at Universal Studios in Florida last summer. In addition to the "Storm Force Acceleration" ride, Wolverine is featured on one of their collectible cups along with Spiderman and the Hulk.

Dude i practically live in Islands of Adventures My friends Aunt even worked there . Ok i love the park but As for Storm having her own ride oooh big deal STORM FORCE SUCKS!!!!! it's the one thing i don't ride, that and anything in Doctor Seuss insland. The only reason she has a ride is because their wheren't any X-men related rides and nothing safe enough for the kiddies in Marvel island. So along came Storm Force and icon of a character but a piece of crap ride. As for Wolverine being in the cup he was bareley in any soulvenier before X1 trust me i know this

Old 07-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #59
PowersOfMind
Side-Kick

Most of the disdain comes form the fact that he took Cyclops place in X3 which didnt bother me but I can see how it would upset the hard-core fans.

PowersOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:53 PM   #60
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Oh wow half the ppll. Im sure this message board isn't full of fanboys you knwo very well aot of new members that have come in are new fans that where attracted here by Wolverine AKA according too FOX the only X-Man.
Top seller i keep hearing that but i don't see the proof? i want some numbers and then ill shut up .
You do realize you're talking in semantics now, right?

Quote:
Um im not going to get into a Storm argument because i am a fan of her comic book counterpart but let's face it of course she's iconic she's the only one and first in her league. African Female superhero, name others? There arn't that many and if their are they arn't as big or havn't been around as long.

Quote:
Dude i practically live in Islands of Adventures My friends Aunt even worked there . Ok i love the park but As for Storm having her own ride oooh big deal STORM FORCE SUCKS!!!!! it's the one thing i don't ride, that and anything in Doctor Seuss insland. The only reason she has a ride is because their wheren't any X-men related rides and nothing safe enough for the kiddies in Marvel island. So along came Storm Force and icon of a character but a piece of crap ride. As for Wolverine being in the cup he was bareley in any soulvenier before X1 trust me i know this

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:02 PM   #61
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops
Find the comics where he cried. Please. He didn't even cry when he put Mariko, the one true love of his life, out of her misery.
He cried on X-Treme X-Men 30, when he thought Kitty had died on the explosion. Also on the X1 Wolverine prequel, when he was having nightmares about a woman he couldnīt remember. And Iīm sure he cried when Mariko died, when he was having that memorable conversation with Jean about the loss of Silver Fox on Wolverine #65, when he had to kill Jean on Planet X...even if the tears are off panel, just the amount of emotion he displayed on these occasions is enough for me.

Quote:
And yes, you did a very good job of misunderstanding what I said. Congratulations. Just because I don't want him to be the weepy, touchy-feely kinda guy he was in X3, doesn't mean I think he should be a dumb attack dog. But whatever.
So explain yourself better next time, please. The way you put it it looked like Logan isnīt supposed to love, or have any feelings other than anger.
I donīt want Logan to be a weepy kind of guy either, but heīs nothing like that. Just because he displayed emotions on such extreme occasions as the deaths of Xavier and Jean, it doesnīt make him a cry-baby!

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #62
oneteen
James/Scott fan

Wolverine is just overused. I'm bored of his "snikting".

James Marsden: His feelings for Jean is really what drives a lot of his character. I would have welcomed any more scenes and things to get into our relationship more. It's a bit of a mystery when you look back at the first two.
oneteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #63
Supreme Power
Side-Kick

Quote:
What fanboys?

Exactly. And I'm a Cyclops fan as well.

All the reasons I have seen are mostly similiar. Too much screen time, overused, taking Scotts place.

Being a Cyclops fan, I hated to see him go the way he did in X3. But I also hated to see Professor X die. As a Wolverine fan he could never have too much screen time for me. Although Cyclops did have smaller roles in X2 and X3 than in X1, I for the most part was okay with his parts.

It's all a matter of personal opinion with some die hard comic fans.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #64
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Im so sure , the same ppl that fals advertis to fill in seats.
No, people who actually know what false advertising is.

Quote:
NO but because Halle became A-list well i think it's obvious what the results of that was.
A lot of rumor?

Quote:
Sit through an X-Men movie with a sold-out audience and see who gets the biggest response.

Quote:
I had a bag stolen at Islands of Adventure the same day that picture was taken...not impressed with the place.

It wasn't a review of the ride (I've been been on it), or a merchandise inventory...but there is a ride named after Storm (not Cyclops or Gambit), and gigantic Wolverine that takes up the entire front of a building.

And I bought the silly cup when I was first there in 2001...when I was there last summer they still had the same 3 characters on the cup.

It's there.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #65
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe
So explain yourself better next time, please. The way you put it it looked like Logan isnīt supposed to love, or have any feelings other than anger.
I donīt want Logan to be a weepy kind of guy either, but heīs nothing like that. Just because he displayed emotions on such extreme occasions as the deaths of Xavier and Jean, it doesnīt make him a cry-baby!
Exactly...it's not like he fell off his motorcycle and started bawling. They were the deaths of 2 major characters, that in the movie universe were extremely important to him. It wasn't a big deal that he cried.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #66
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Jealousy. Plain and simple.

A similiar element and sentiment exists for Storm--and much for the same reasons. Yet they remain the most popular despite that, so....
Read people posts. They feel that they had enough Wolverine. And no one (unless I missed something) said he down right hated the character. Only that x-3 overdone him to death.

To sum it up with jealousy? Who am I jealous of? A fiction character?

And while they maybe the faces of x-3, "most popular" by what standers? (I'm really asking, you stated that many times and that made me wonder)

CapBeerCino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #67
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapBeerCino
And no one (unless I missed something) said he down right hated the character.
Ever seen Kurosawa's posts?

Quote:
And while they maybe the faces of x-3, "most popular" by what standers? (I'm really asking, you stated that many times and that made me wonder)
Maybe the same standards people think *everyone* is sick of him with.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #68
Supreme Power
Side-Kick

Quote:
Read people posts. They feel that they had enough Wolverine. And no one (unless I missed something) said he down right hated the character. Only that x-3 overdone him to death.

Umm, some people.

It was more of a team movie to me than any of the others.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #69
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
No,It wasn't a review of the ride (I've been been on it), or a merchandise inventory...but there is a ride named after Storm (not Cyclops or Gambit), and gigantic Wolverine that takes up the entire front of a building.
Also a gigantic Rogue on the other side

And as for the Storm ride- well her element is the easiest to use in a theme park. I can't begin to imagine the look (or purpose) of a Cyclops or Gambit ride... Just saying that popular or not, this isn't an indication.

And while I stooped so low -
the lion king has no rides in Disneyland/worlds what so ever. Doesn't make him any less popular movie, right?

Old 07-04-2006, 12:18 AM   #70
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Exactly...it's not like he fell off his motorcycle and started bawling. They were the deaths of 2 major characters, that in the movie universe were extremely important to him. It wasn't a big deal that he cried.
Like I said...what would be strange was if he didnīt cry or show emotions at all! He had already cried in X2, when Jean died, so his scenes in X3 werenīt out of character as far as I can see. I love kick-ass Logan as much as the next fan, (and yes, Iīm hoping for a R rated Wolverine movie), but Logan isnīt only that.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #71
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ever seen Kurosawa's posts? .
Omg I was thinking about him while typing! Anyway in this thread. (and, hey, you always have the exceptional... Kuro hated Wolverine since he first appeared in the Incredible Hulk way before his x-men days)

Quote:
Maybe the same standards people think *everyone* is sick of him with.
Who said that?

Old 07-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #72
Darkie
~Burn Emma Burn!!!~

Quote:

god! when i entered there i was and i wanted to buy everything

"I know everybody's worried about me, Hank. Everybody thinks the Phoenix Force is turning me into some kind of cosmic destroyer, but it's not like that. I have trouble with the rushes, but I'm okay, really."

Darkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #73
S7ilver
Side-Kick

Quote:

Are you asking about Wolverine too? That's too easy =P

As for Storm..

http://view.exacttarget.com/?ffcb10-...fefe1673756c00

I think I've posted this before but it's the simplest way to show where Storm ranks and it's straight from Marvel.

S7ilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #74
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ilver
Are you asking about Wolverine too? That's too easy =P

As for Storm..

http://view.exacttarget.com/?ffcb10-...fefe1673756c00

I think I've posted this before but it's the simplest way to show where Storm ranks and it's straight from Marvel.
What am I seeing?

Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #75
Radagast_Prime
I Hate You.

Quote:
What am I seeing?
I was asking myself the same thing. ??????

Radagast_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote