The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 07-04-2006, 01:08 AM   #76
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why the hate for Wolverine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Irisi
Some do snipe at Jackman, which frankly befuddles me to no end. Some view him the same way they view "the diva Berry", which also confuses me.
I have no problem with Hugh Jackman or the character he plays. What I have a problem with is how this char was blown totally out of proportions.

IN X1 we're introduced to him and we cheer him on. We see how he grudginly acknowledges that Prof X and his people are good people and doing the right thing. We cheer when he agrees to help them out. He's still a loner but it's great to see how he makes sacrifices to help others. It's terrific seeing the X-Men realize how useful he is, especially at the Statue of Liberty battle. Everyone's captured except for Wolvering and they're astonished to learn that he's winning!

In X2 we learn about his past and how he comes to grips with it.

But by the time we get to X3 it's all about him. It's no longer the X-Men. It's Wolverine and his friends who try to steal his camera time. The guy becomes a universal replacement for Charles and Scott. In a story that's supposed to be about Scott and Jean (like Romeo and Juliet), Wolverine manages to stomp all over things and take over one of the roles. And it's just bloody annoying to see him smeared over every page of every storyline.

Never mind Wolvering spinoffs. We've already had our 3 Wolverine movies. How about an X-Men spinoff instead?

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.

Last edited by ntcrawler; 07-04-2006 at 01:37 AM.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #77
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
I have no problem with Hugh Jackman or the character he plays. What I have a problem with is how this char was blown totally out of proportions.

IN X1 we're introduced to him and we cheer him on. We see how he grudginly acknowledges that Prof X and his people are good people and doing the right thing. We cheer when he agrees to help them out. He's still a loner but it's great to see how he makes sacrifices to help others. It's terrific seeing the X-Men realize how useful he is, especially at the Statue of Liberty battle. Everyone's captured except for Wolvering and they're astonished to learn that he's winning!

In X2 we learn abouthis past and how he comes to grips with it.

But by the time we get to X3 it's all about him. It's no longer the X-Men. It's Wolverine and his friends who try to steal his camera time. The guy becomes a universal replacement for Charles and Scott. In a story that's supposed to be about Scott and Jean (like Romeo and Juliet), Wolvering manages to stomp all over things and take over one of the roles. And it's just bloody annoying to see him smeared over every page of every storyline.

Never mind Wolvering spinoffs. We've already had our 3 Wolvering movies. How about an X-Men spinoff instead?
Can't agree with you more.

UraniaChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #78
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
But by the time we get to X3 it's all about him. It's no longer the X-Men. It's Wolverine and his friends who try to steal his camera time. The guy becomes a universal replacement for Charles and Scott. In a story that's supposed to be about Scott and Jean (like Romeo and Juliet), Wolverine manages to stomp all over things and take over one of the roles. And it's just bloody annoying to see him smeared over every page of every storyline.
What movie did you see???

I seem to remember the Professor asking Storm to take his place at the school. Wolverine didn't decide to become a team player until the last half hour of the movie.

You guys are so obsessed with Wolverine, you blame him for everything.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #79
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse
What movie did you see???

I seem to remember the Professor asking Storm to take his place at the school. Wolverine didn't decide to become a team player until the last half hour of the movie.

You guys are so obsessed with Wolverine, you blame him for everything.
True, but this thread isn't about 'why all the hate for Storm?' don't go off topic

And no one here is obsessed with Wolverine. Check his thread he has what? 2000 posts? Oh yes, the obsession...

CapBeerCino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #80
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapBeerCino
True, but this thread isn't about 'why all the hate for Storm?' don't go off topic
It wasn't off topic, it was in response to to this from ntcrawler: "It's Wolverine and his friends who try to steal his camera time. The guy becomes a universal replacement for Charles and Scott."

Quote:
And no one here is obsessed with Wolverine. Check his thread he has what? 2000 posts? Oh yes, the obsession...
Like the 27,000+ posts in the Cyclops thread...about 25,000 of which are about how Cyclops is getting screwed in the movies by Wolverine.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #81
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

Well if only Fox said they didn't want Scott in the movie, he would have had a bigger role... but since they didn't want him at all in x3, what was the point of the Phoenix saga since Kinberg/Penn screwed it up with Logan saving Jean instead of Scott saving Jean? Although Fox didn't want Jean/Phoenix to be in X3 either but Kinberg fought for her to be in it but still... Fox shouldn't have a say about whos in and whos not in the film. It should be up to the director and writers, not the studio but Fox f***ed it up. They think they're really smart...but they aren't. all they care about is Wolverine this...Wolverine that. They're so f***ing busy dicking around with Wolverine that they can't seem to care enough for the other X-Men. Fox, you do know that the meaning of X-Men relates to more than just Wolverine? Oh right...you probably don't care because your too busy f***ing around with Wolverine to bother to give the other X-Men their moment to shine and give them more screentime. Once again, its all about your money and Wolverine. You disgust me in terms of what you think the rest of the X-Men stand for.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #82
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Like the 27,000+ posts in the Cyclops thread...about 25,000 of which are about how Cyclops is getting screwed in the movies by Wolverine.
Those posts can be about Scott Summers grandma as far as I care, that doesn't change my point (or has anything to do with it while we're at it) - no one is "obsessed" with Wolverine.

Edit

Last edited by CapBeerCino; 07-04-2006 at 01:52 PM.
CapBeerCino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #83
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Why the hate for Wolverine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops
Find the comics where he cried. Please. He didn't even cry when he put Mariko, the one true love of his life, out of her misery. And yes, you did a very good job of misunderstanding what I said. Congratulations. Just because I don't want him to be the weepy, touchy-feely kinda guy he was in X3, doesn't mean I think he should be a dumb attack dog. But whatever.
I found this on Wikipedia. It shows Wolverine shedding a tear during Sabretooth's funeral, although I have no idea what comic issue this is from or if it's canon to the Wolverine universe.

Edit: Nevermind. It's from Wolverine: The End. So it's not really canon to the actual universe of the X-Men or Wolverine.

As far as movie Wolverine is concerned, no one had a problem with him in X1, they also had little problem with him in X2, as he was still closer to his comic book counterpart to an extent.

Fans(such as myself) began to grow very bored and tired of Wolverine in the movie. No one is denying that he's a good interesting character, but as far as the comics and the movies are concerned; there's more to the X-Men than Wolverine.

I did like Wolverine as a kid, but I also was a bigger fan of Colossus, Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Gambit, and Iceman.

Fans(Much like myself) feel that he became overexposed and that the movies(with the exception of the first two) didn't concentrate enough on the other X-Men. After the ending of X2 we were left with the strong belief that it'd be the film featuring Scott/Jean/Dark Phoenix, then Fox came barging in and demanded that Scott not be in the movie; or better yet, have him die in between films and Kinberg/Penn being the yes-men that they are went through with it.

Bottom line, Wolverine is an overexposed character as far as the films are concerned. I doubt fans have a problem with him in the comics or the animated series, I know I didn't.

Last edited by LastSunrise1981; 07-04-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #84
Goddessreicho
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath
Fox shouldn't have a say about whos in and whos not in the film. It should be up to the director and writers, not the studio but Fox f***ed it up. They think they're really smart...but they aren't. all they care about is Wolverine this...Wolverine that. They're so f***ing busy dicking around with Wolverine that they can't seem to care enough for the other X-Men. Fox, you do know that the meaning of X-Men relates to more than just Wolverine? Oh right...you probably don't care because your too busy f***ing around with Wolverine to bother to give the other X-Men their moment to shine and give them more screentime. Once again, its all about your money and Wolverine. You disgust me in terms of what you think the rest of the X-Men stand for.

First of all Fox has the final say because ITS THEIR MONEY! Yup that 200 million came from Fox's pockets. Most people who can raise that many millions of dollars for production can call themselves smart. And looking at the Box office Domestic and International, they've made that money back plus some.

As for DP not being in X-3, I don't know where you heard that from, but Phoenix was always going to have a prominet role in either X3 or X4.

Un-freakin-believable! If anyone doesn't have the right to complain its Phoenix fans. They got 2 movies that EXPLAINED their character and character interaction.

What did Cyke fans get? Screwed. Storm fans get a neurotic and anger mangment needing character with NO EXPLAINATION.

Angel, Beast, Psy, Rogue...seriously nearly everyone in this trilogy got casted aside for Wolverine's throughly xplained story, and Phoenix' s.

That's the terrible writting, overall crap directing, and Fox's mismangament of the funds. When the spin-offs tank, Fox will learn thier lesson.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Rest peacefully Mum
April 10th 1946
March 31st 2007

Goddessreicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #85
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

but do you think Fox will learn their lesson? Doubtful... all they care about is money.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #86
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Why the hate for Wolverine?

Quote:
but do you think Fox will learn their lesson? Doubtful... all they care about is money.
They'll care when the Wolverine spin-off doesn't draw flies. As popular as Wolverine is, I don't see enough people caring to see the spin-off movie.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #87
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

well im one of those people who don't care about seeing the spin-off movie.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #88
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
No, people who actually know what false advertising is.
Good im sure that has alot to do with makin art

Quote:
A lot of rumor?
R you playing dumb or? I ment who obviously got a bigger spotlight because of her status.

Quote:
Sit through an X-Men movie with a sold-out audience and see who gets the biggest response.
Gee i dunno the character thats onscreen about 80% of the time.

Quote:
I had a bag stolen at Islands of Adventure the same day that picture was taken...not impressed with the place. .
Im sure the park is responsible for your carelessness. sorry

Quote:
It wasn't a review of the ride (I've been been on it), or a merchandise inventory...but there is a ride named after Storm (not Cyclops or Gambit), and gigantic Wolverine that takes up the entire front of a building.
I already told you why this was so if you don't want too listen w/e good for you. Oh and there is also a giant Rogue in your picture but she didn't do much in the movie now did she

Quote:
And I bought the silly cup when I was first there in 2001...when I was there last summer they still had the same 3 characters on the cup.

It's there.
2001 huh? the first movie had already come out

gambitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #89
Lil_Flip246
Side-Kick

All three movies were centred on Wolverine's story. This is X-Men. NOT Wolverine. If only FOX and the crew of X-Men films see these online forums, and read the threads. We are tired of Wolverine!! I would LOVE an Xmen film without Wolverine!!

Lil_Flip246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #90
Mike059jig
DESTROY GOTHAM!!!

They gonna throw mutants in Wolverine Film to get people to watch just like the first three movies..

Old 07-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #91
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Flip246
All three movies were centred on Wolverine's story. This is X-Men. NOT Wolverine. If only FOX and the crew of X-Men films see these online forums, and read the threads. We are tired of Wolverine!! I would LOVE an Xmen film without Wolverine!!
Not quite. Or at least not intentionally. X3 was definitely NOT supposed to be about Wolverine. I mean how the heck do you turn a story about the Phoenix, which centers around Jean and Scott into a story about Wolverine?

Well they found a way...

Romeo and Juliet, except that Romeo gets killed by Juliet during the balcony scene so Hamlet takes his place. bah!

Old 07-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #92
gambitfire
Banned User

Instead of Hamlet but Mercutio it would go better with the Story

Old 07-04-2006, 09:54 PM   #93
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Flip246
Umm no they weren't.
X1-Intro to the X-Men about the X-Men; ALL of the team.
X2-Okay so this one was about Wolverine.
X3-About the Phoenix, Magneto, and the Cure. The coupling was wrong with Jean/Logan, but that's because Wolverine is the cashcow of the franchise.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #94
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387
X3-About the Phoenix, Magneto, and the Cure. The coupling was wrong with Jean/Logan, but that's because Wolverine is the cashcow of the franchise.
Precisely. X-Men is about the characters, and their relationships. Even the cast members understood that. And certain pairings, relationships are sacred. Wrong coupling is a nice way of putting it. And it was done for a very wrong reason (hint: more Wolverine screen time). Which is one of the reasons why people like us are ticked off.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #95
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitfire
Instead of Hamlet but Mercutio it would go better with the Story
Yes you're right, I couldn't think of the name. I was just thinking that Hamlet is more popular as a char so he needs more screen time

Old 07-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #96
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

it should be Scott and Jean, not Logan and Jean. Get it?

Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #97
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
it should be Scott and Jean, not Logan and Jean. Get it?
Thank you Mr. Obvious

Old 07-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #98
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

but of course Fox and the writers didn't get it.. so bulls*** my ass...lol

Old 07-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #99
gambitfire
Banned User

FOX will never get anything more than money

Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #100
Cyclops
Side-Kick

Shedding a single tear is incredibly different from dropping to your knees and bawling your eyes out.

"...... Muppets. Goodnight, Randy."
"Goodnight, Earl."
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote